Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Opinions please!!

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2006, 01:34 PM
Useless
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions please!!

I know that this is Scoobynet and a fair few people will be biased but I need a few opinions please.

ATM I have an MY99 DBM UK Subaru Impreza Turbo which is for sale (https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...o-4650-a.html). I am looking to change the car for either a V5/6 STI of (dare I say it!) and Seat Leon Cupra R.

My wife has recently had a baby (7 weeks old tomorrow) and I'm looking for something that has four doors and enought room for the three of us. I have a budget of 9k. I don't want to tune my current car as I want something different.

I've always hankered after a V5/6 STI but at the same time think that the sensible money would be on the LCR as it's newer and has VAG build quality.

Please can I have honest opinions and owers views who have actually owned either of these two cars.

Many thanks and sorry for the long post!!

Ben
Old 07 December 2006, 02:03 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Like you say tough question on a Scooby site.

Although I love scoobies, I am very open minded about cars and tried most of them now.

However only been in a Leon.

It probably depends on how much you want to stand out really.

The STI5/6 will stand out more, and performance and involvement wise will deliver more than the Leon. But like you say they are getting old now, but a classic amongst classics now.

If you like tinkering I would go for the STI

If you want a change and yurn a little more comfort and build then Leon.

If you coming from a classic I would sooner go for the Leon, just for change. I don't think the STI is going to push your buttons as much as you think, and what you already have compared to that of a STI is probably the better choice. Soften ride and pulls hard low down. Without major mods, just Tek your classic and you will be close to STI performance.

Conclusion: If you want a scoob stick with what you got and possibly tek it.
Or If you want a change both in terms of car and image and you want comfort and build then Leon.
Old 07 December 2006, 02:23 PM
paul2070
Scooby Regular

I had a Leon Cupra R 225 before i bought my classic,and i have to say,it was a bloody good car.

I actually part ex'ed my 53 Plate BMW M3 for it as i was so disappointed with the BMW after i only had it 6 weeks,and the Leon never failed to impress me.

However,i did get it remapped(Custom Code),which upped the power to around 275BHP,had it lowered on some Eibach springs and put some 19" OZ Superleggara's on it ,and i have to say,it was the best 2 grand i have spent on a car,as it really made it the car it should have been all along.

It also would do nearly 35mpg driven sensibly(a bit better than the Scoob ),so if economy AND performance is what you want,IMO,it is the perfect compromise.

I don't know if you intend keeping whatever you buy standard,but if you do anything to it,definately do the Springs,as they really tightened the whole car up(although mine had only done 9k when i bought it).

Highly recommended mate

Have a look on the Seat websites aswell

SEATCupra.net - Your #1 source for SEAT information - Home and SEAT Car Club - Welcome
Old 07 December 2006, 02:38 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paul2070
I actually part ex'ed my 53 Plate BMW M3 for it as i was so disappointed with the BMW
I haven't heard that one before! What was wrong with the Bimmer?
Old 07 December 2006, 03:09 PM
paul2070
Scooby Regular

Have a look at some of the other threads with an M3 in them,there is an ongoing one at the moment whether someone should buy a WR1 or an M3.

The car is so over hyped,but it depends on what you want from a car.I expect cars that are fast to feel fast..............the M3 never felt fast!

The brakes are s**t for a car that costs 50k and has 343bhp!!

They are too heavy,which blunts performance!!!

I honestly think that a lot of people that buy them and rave about them are to afraid to admit they have spent all that money and the car really isn't all that good,either that or they haven't driven much else performance orientated.

Thats why i sold mine,and the Leon was a great car(for the money),especially when it had been tweaked a bit.

The rest of the money from the M3 went on an Ariel Atom ,but that's a whole other tale
Old 07 December 2006, 03:59 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Fair enough - well justified, and i thing a fettled leon and ariel is better than 1 M3
Old 07 December 2006, 05:54 PM
Useless
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the opinions guys, just what I was after.

I love Scoobies too and would always have one if I could. However, I am looking for a bit of comfort for the family and as I cannot afford a New Age STI then the LCR might be the way to go.

Ben

Trending Topics

Old 07 December 2006, 06:10 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Get the LCR. Sounds like the best choice and they get good MPG.A little chip gives it a huge power boost also.
Old 07 December 2006, 06:38 PM
paul2070
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy M3
Fair enough - well justified, and i thing a fettled leon and ariel is better than 1 M3
Well,they have both gone now......................the Atom only had a particularly short stay with me at 3 weeks,but the Leon lasted 6 months(a long time for me)...................it really was a great all round car,unfortunately with circa 275bhp going through the front wheels,winter didn't really agree with it,so it's had a tempory replacement of a Classic Turbo until the weather breaks................then god know's!!!
Old 07 December 2006, 07:47 PM
B9GLY
Scooby Regular

LCR defo
Old 07 December 2006, 09:26 PM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

scrub the wife and kids and get an atom, only kidding, the leon is a very nice car, but owning an sti, i would always stick with that, and mines a wagon so it's practical as well.

good luck with the car hunting.