Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Depreciation on new 997 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2006, 10:22 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Depreciation on new 997 GT3

I have an unhealthy obsession with this car right now, but very wary about buying a new car for that price as I'm sure I'd be looking at a minimum of 20k depreciation within 15 months.

I know cars are not investments and when you get up to that sort of budget it's always going to be a part of the 'cost', but would it be insane buying a car like that new?

Would I be better getting, say, a used 996 GT3 RS?

Ed
Old 04 December 2006, 10:27 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Bank on it losing 40% in value after three years and 60% after five.

If you're going to get a 996 to avoid depreciation, get an older one such as the Mark 1 GT3 - not the RS.
Old 04 December 2006, 10:51 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Friend of mine bought a Mk 1 GT3 for a shade under £40k about a year ago, bit of a bargain as it seemed to be cheapest in the UK at the time. I doubt that he'll lose much if anything on it in the future. Goes like stink too!!

TX.

[edit - oops, it's a 996 GT3]

Last edited by Terminator X; 05 December 2006 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05 December 2006, 12:01 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Edcase
I have an unhealthy obsession with this car right now, but very wary about buying a new car for that price as I'm sure I'd be looking at a minimum of 20k depreciation within 15 months.

I know cars are not investments and when you get up to that sort of budget it's always going to be a part of the 'cost', but would it be insane buying a car like that new?

Ed
I think you should stick with your M5 so I can be the first one to say "I drive a Porsche". Gimme a farkin' break, Ed!
Old 05 December 2006, 06:44 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

You'd be better off with a 996 RS if depreciation is going to be a worry.

...however I doubt you'd lose any money on a 964 RS.

GT Classics car sales

Genuine 964 RS in special order very rare Sun Yellow with RECARO seats in black leather, full service history. Full Matter cage, brake ducts, original magnesium wheels painted in black. Modifications include 9Meister Motec + 1 engine conversion with 330bhp, adjustable suspension top mounts, carbon interior door panels, carbon bonnet. Very good car known to me since 1998.
Old 05 December 2006, 07:10 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy

GT Classics car sales

Genuine 964 RS in special order very rare Sun Yellow with RECARO seats in black leather, full service history. Full Matter cage, brake ducts, original magnesium wheels painted in black. Modifications include 9Meister Motec + 1 engine conversion with 330bhp, adjustable suspension top mounts, carbon interior door panels, carbon bonnet. Very good car known to me since 1998.

Note to self .....

pop round to see Paul to get a ride in that 964 Its gorgeous
Old 05 December 2006, 07:22 AM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Ed
If it's going to be mostly a road car then no. 997 GT3 has much better road manners than the 996 RS.

However if mostly for track then yes, 996 RS and send it to Manthey. Job Done.

Trending Topics

Old 05 December 2006, 07:41 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

The new 997 GT3 is a fabulous car I drove a 997 C4S a few weeks ago and that was a pretty special car, so god knows what the GT3 will be like!

Ed - ***** to the depreciation - feed your obsession!

What about the new Prodrive AM V8?
Old 05 December 2006, 11:50 AM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy

GT Classics car sales

MMMMmmmmmm. I wonder if they would take an exchange for my RS6
Old 05 December 2006, 11:52 AM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
I think you should stick with your M5 so I can be the first one to say "I drive a Porsche". Gimme a farkin' break, Ed!
LOL

I'm only just starting the thought process, I'm not looking to change until at least April / May next year after we've moved out of central London, but then I started considering waiting lists etc. and realised I probably do actually need to be thinking about it now.
Old 05 December 2006, 12:22 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

I think you need to clear the rest of the german crap from out of your garage before you consider filling it up again with anything else !
Old 05 December 2006, 12:48 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Well, can you believe they are both currently having warranty work done?

The Audi went in today for DRC suspension replacement and MOT, and the M5 went in last week also for MOT, but they also found out that both VANOS units were completely broken, unfortunately it also now needs a cam position sensor which is on back order from Germany until Friday at least.

So as of right this second, I am technically carless!!
Old 05 December 2006, 01:35 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Oh, the irony.
Old 05 December 2006, 01:39 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

STOP PRESS: Just sold the Audi. He picks it up on Friday.
Old 05 December 2006, 01:57 PM
Torpid
BANNED

While the yellow 964 is sweet a few extra quid gets you this

PORSCHE 964 RS Clubsport

FULL SERVICE HISTORY
RUBYSTONE RED
LHD

£ 43,995

Porsche 964 RS/L in rubystone red, RECARO bucket seats leather black + tripple magenta, the car was upgraded and converted for more than 50.000 Euro by the first and second owner. At present the car has a 3978 cc RS/R engine built brand new for over 20.000 Euro. The engine produces about 385HP and over 400NM, 5 speed RS gear box, the car has a big 3,8 RSR brake system with bigger discs and red calipers fitted, new 18" Cup splitrims with new tyres, the suspension was upgraded with 993 RSR shock on the front axle and 964 RSR shock on the rear axle, the steel doors were changed to original 3,8 RSR alloy doors. The car has a polished HEIGO halfcage made of alloy as well as silver dials and a MOMO steering wheel. The car has a second oil cooler, brake cooling system, special MÜHLBAUER MOTORSPORT spagetti sport exhaust system. All invoices and history are with the car. The car was painted new last winter with all windows out and the paint quality is just superb. Engine rebuild and upgrade were done at 66.000 km and the total mileage is 85.000 km now. This is one of the most special 964 RS I know. To build a car like this is nearly impossible these days because of the very high prices to get these parts.

I'm quite seriously tempted by this car and am considering stretching my usual budget to own it.
Old 05 December 2006, 02:00 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

STOP PRESS: Just sold the Audi. He picks it up on Friday.
Old 05 December 2006, 02:42 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Torpid

PORSCHE 964 RS Clubsport

FULL SERVICE HISTORY
RUBYSTONE RED
LHD

£ 43,995

Porsche 964 RS/L in rubystone red, RECARO bucket seats leather black + tripple magenta, the car was upgraded and converted for more than 50.000 Euro by the first and second owner. At present the car has a 3978 cc RS/R engine built brand new for over 20.000 Euro. The engine produces about 385HP and over 400NM, 5 speed RS gear box, the car has a big 3,8 RSR brake system with bigger discs and red calipers fitted, new 18" Cup splitrims with new tyres, the suspension was upgraded with 993 RSR shock on the front axle and 964 RSR shock on the rear axle, the steel doors were changed to original 3,8 RSR alloy doors. The car has a polished HEIGO halfcage made of alloy as well as silver dials and a MOMO steering wheel. The car has a second oil cooler, brake cooling system, special MÜHLBAUER MOTORSPORT spagetti sport exhaust system. All invoices and history are with the car. The car was painted new last winter with all windows out and the paint quality is just superb. Engine rebuild and upgrade were done at 66.000 km and the total mileage is 85.000 km now. This is one of the most special 964 RS I know. To build a car like this is nearly impossible these days because of the very high prices to get these parts.

I'm quite seriously tempted by this car and am considering stretching my usual budget to own it.
Great spec, but I *just* couldn't live with the colour.
Old 05 December 2006, 04:37 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

If I had the money, a White 997 GT3 would be the car I'd buy. Just soo horny.

I doubt over the first 3 years, you'd lose much, if any money on the 997.

Old 05 December 2006, 04:39 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
If I had the money, a White 997 GT3 would be the car I'd buy. Just soo horny.

I doubt over the first 3 years, you'd lose much, if any money on the 997.

If I was able to convince myself to believe that with all my heart, I would honestly put down a deposit tomorrow.
Old 05 December 2006, 04:56 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Torpid

PORSCHE 964 RS Clubsport

FULL SERVICE HISTORY
RUBYSTONE RED
LHD

£ 43,995

I'm a fan of the colour too

I don't see the point in having a hardocre car if you want silver paint with black leather.

Loud car, loud colour!
Old 05 December 2006, 05:01 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

I don't disagree, but not that particular colour!
Old 05 December 2006, 05:11 PM
madisonmonkey
Scooby Senior

M5 went in last week also for MOT, but they also found out that both VANOS units were completely broken, unfortunately it also now needs a cam position sensor which is on back order from Germany until Friday at least.
Do you mean you've broken it allready Ed? Or was it broken when you bought it? If so I offer my apologies but am wondering just how quick it's gonna be when it's fixed Good old BMW warranty to the rescue...
Take it you're going to have to wait for the exhaust now?
Old 05 December 2006, 05:21 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Mine is arriving at xmas, being picked up 2nd Jan. Depreciation has always been a burning concern of mine, to avoid disappointment, only buy the car new if you are literally one of the first to get there.

Cars aren't as they were 10 years ago with regards to solid residuals. I remember the '99 UK Turbo was a bloody good car with regards to resale and maintained high prices.

Now the GT3 SHOULD prove to be an exception to this rule for a number of reasons.

1) The press have been fanatical over it.
2) Numbers are strictly limited.
3) Relative disappointment of the 997TT has shifted focus to the GT3, so those who would not have normally been interested in the GT3 now want one.
4) Its appeal is broader due to its better road manners.

CK
Old 05 December 2006, 05:25 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Fantastic Cem - I knew you wouldn't stay away from Porsche for long

Can I come round for a look when it's delivered?

Chris
Old 05 December 2006, 05:31 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by madisonmonkey
Do you mean you've broken it allready Ed? Or was it broken when you bought it? If so I offer my apologies but am wondering just how quick it's gonna be when it's fixed Good old BMW warranty to the rescue...
Take it you're going to have to wait for the exhaust now?
They reckon it has been like that for some time, although I must say the noise from the engine definitely got worse from when I bought it from you until now. Either way, nothing to apologise for, that's exactly why I bought one with warranty still remaining. Saved me nearly 4k so far!!! Not certain if I will renew next year however, £1850 + £250 excess per claim would need a gearbox or engine to go to make it commercially viable, and I'm not likely to keep it past April, however there is an argument that E39 M5's with warranty are increasingly hard to find and it would therefore certainly help me get a good resale price....hmmm, decisions, decisions.
Old 05 December 2006, 05:33 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris L
Fantastic Cem - I knew you wouldn't stay away from Porsche for long

Can I come round for a look when it's delivered?

Chris
For sure Chris!
Old 05 December 2006, 05:39 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blow Dog
Mine is arriving at xmas, being picked up 2nd Jan. Depreciation has always been a burning concern of mine, to avoid disappointment, only buy the car new if you are literally one of the first to get there.

Cars aren't as they were 10 years ago with regards to solid residuals. I remember the '99 UK Turbo was a bloody good car with regards to resale and maintained high prices.

Now the GT3 SHOULD prove to be an exception to this rule for a number of reasons.

1) The press have been fanatical over it.
2) Numbers are strictly limited.
3) Relative disappointment of the 997TT has shifted focus to the GT3, so those who would not have normally been interested in the GT3 now want one.
4) Its appeal is broader due to its better road manners.

CK
Cem,

(As usual) I do agree with your logic. From the reviews it definitely does seem to be possibly the best all-round sports car money can buy.

What spec did you go for?

Ed
Old 05 December 2006, 05:42 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

I went for
White
Club Sport
Carbon Seats
Xenons
Sat Nav
..and a few other minors.

I'm so damn excited about this I cannot tell you. It's been a LONG time since i felt this way.
Old 05 December 2006, 05:44 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blow Dog
I went for
White
Club Sport
Carbon Seats
Xenons
Sat Nav
..and a few other minors.

I'm so damn excited about this I cannot tell you. It's been a LONG time since i felt this way.
YHM
Old 05 December 2006, 06:35 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

No matter how good the car is you can't buy a circa £90k car and not expect to lose approx £20k over 18 months or so unless you really are the first person to get the car and you sell in the first 6-12 months. If you were to trade the car back in to a dealer just the 'spread' would mean that you've lost £8k the minute you take it off the drive.
I'm not saying you shouldn't buy the car, if I could afford one (and didn't have a 6 week old baby!) I'd have one but it will lose a fair wedge.

Quick Reply: Depreciation on new 997 GT3