Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Xenon lights

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2006, 04:32 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xenon lights

Has anyone retro fitted xenon lights to a car?
I fancy some on my L200 and have found these HIDS4U Ltd, Leeds, UK for all HID and Xenon lighting kits and conversions
Anyone used this company and if so are they alright?
Cheers.

Last edited by zip106; 30 November 2006 at 04:37 PM.
Old 30 November 2006, 04:48 PM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

Ive brought from them.

I brought a set for my M3 evo, not from this company though, Chromeline Desgins. Very good, but never quite like ones that come as standard. Over bumpy ground, then shake a bit and aiming the things is a little difficult as the spray of light is different.

I then brought a set, from this company, for my pajero. I used them 4 times before the transformer broke. I sent them back and asked for a refund, but they then took 20% handling fees. Wasnt too happy. I wasnt too happy either how the beam / headlight focus'ed the HID light either. I wonder if HID headlight glass focus is different than headligh glass intended for normal bulbs ?

So, would I retro fit HIDS ? No, I would save the money, as most sets are £150. I would spend the cash on better bulbs, say 80/100 watt ones.

But, I do love the way these lights fire up, and the type of ligh is so much different.

SBK

Last edited by sbk1972; 30 November 2006 at 04:51 PM.
Old 30 November 2006, 04:59 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

I've got some of those 'super performance bulbs' in at the moment ( think they're Silverstar 50% brighter ones, but I'm not that impressed by them.
The hids4u website seem to say that the lights they supply are as good as standard fit ones, but I'm a bit sceptical.
They also say the beam pattern is the same as standard. I really don't know what to do 'cos it could be a £265 mistake!

Are 80/100 watt bulbs legal, though?
Old 30 November 2006, 07:30 PM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Had a (low beam) set in my E39 and worth every penny. Ian Booth, who runs the show, is a top bloke and very helpful. HIDS4U get good coverage nationally in the motoring press and I'd buy off them again. Recommended.

Cheers
Kav
Old 30 November 2006, 11:49 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Cheers, Kav.
Old 01 December 2006, 09:34 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

I got a set off e-bay. About 150 quid at the time IIRC, I think you can get the full kit (bulbs / ballast etc) for less than 100 now.

I will PM you a link to my results.
Old 01 December 2006, 11:59 AM
Huw Jorgan
Scooby Regular

Just make sure the kits are legal to use.

Trending Topics

Old 01 December 2006, 12:05 PM
Christ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Huw Jorgan
Just make sure the kits are legal to use.
None of the kits are legal unless you have headlamp washers, and I *think* self levelling...

Ive seen the results of quite a few group buys on these, and theres usually a lot of problems with levelling / beam pattern etc..

Chris
Old 01 December 2006, 03:37 PM
Huw Jorgan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Christ
None of the kits are legal unless you have headlamp washers, and I *think* self levelling...

Chris
Thats what I've been told as well, washers & auto levelling. How much notice the police & MOT testers take is open to debate.
Old 01 December 2006, 04:32 PM
cwt
Scooby Regular

Default hid,s

thought i would put my pennies worth in.

have recently bought a set from hids4u and from grand prix race wear..
used both now and id say dont do it unless you must, ie like the discharge look, it does give a whiter light but not really any brighter, well not 265 pounds worth brighter, most kits are coming from abroad and it tends to make most of the difference if you run with a quality ballast phillips an so on.

my set came without the correct relays and simply didnt work, when installed. also seems different to what car its going in as some headlights are projector lamp units and focus the light better as mine seem to have no real beam cut off more like just a massive field of light.

if i was going to do it all again id try a cheap set from flee bay and go from there.
Old 01 December 2006, 04:48 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Ive seen the results of quite a few group buys on these, and theres usually a lot of problems with levelling / beam pattern etc..

Chris
Not true. Headlight washers and self levelling are requirements for Type or SVA approval and NOT requirements for the MOT.

HTH

Cheers

T

Last edited by tonybooth; 01 December 2006 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01 December 2006, 05:00 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sbk1972
I then brought a set, from this company, for my pajero. I used them 4 times before the transformer broke. I sent them back and asked for a refund, but they then took 20% handling fees. Wasnt too happy
Are you sure about the handling fee? Was it not just return postage you paid?

Our kid has never charged a handling fee in his life AFAIK - Certainly not if the circumstances are as you described.

T
Old 01 December 2006, 05:43 PM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tonybooth
Not true. Headlight washers and self levelling are requirements for Type or SVA approval and NOT requirements for the MOT.

HTH

Cheers

T
Quite so. I never had a problem come MOT time and had this confirmed by a VOSA engineer.

Cheers
Kav
Old 01 December 2006, 07:53 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

This only applies to new cars though if factory fitted, not for retro fit ones, so no problems come MOT time...
Old 01 December 2006, 08:55 PM
Christ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tonybooth

HTH

Cheers

T
from The Department of Transport.........

The situation for Gas Discharge (HID High Intensity Discharge) (commonly known as Xenon) headlamps is complex.

I attach links to the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 which regulate the situation in the UK.
Under these Regulations Xenon headlamps are not mentioned and therefore they are not permitted according to the strict letter of the law.

However you will be well aware that new vehicles have Xenon headlamps. This is because they comply to European type approval Regulations. The UK cannot refuse to register a vehicle with a European type approval. These are to ECE Regulation 98 (for the Xenon headlamps which are tested on a rig in a laboratory) and ECE Regulation 48 (Lighting Installation on the vehicle).

For the aftermarket, a used vehicle cannot obtain type approval because it is only applicable for new vehicles. However we feel that saying "Xenon is banned in the aftermarket" would not be reasonable. Instead we should make analogies with new vehicles. It would be reasonable to require Xenon in the aftermarket to meet the same safety standards as on new vehicles. The same level of safety should apply.

Therefore a Xenon headlamp sold in the aftermarket should:

1. be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component.
2. when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place).
3, Comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned.

In practice this means:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.
2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.
3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.
Old 01 December 2006, 09:02 PM
Christ
Scooby Regular

Couple of links too, this one is the disclaimer from a company selling them:

HID / Xenon lighting NHTSA - DOT development :: Sigma Automotive

Another link:

NHTSA Illegal Auto Lighting Crackdown Continues

Still think they are legal?

Chris
Old 01 December 2006, 09:25 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Couple of links too, this one is the disclaimer from a company selling them:

HID / Xenon lighting NHTSA - DOT development :: Sigma Automotive

Another link:

NHTSA Illegal Auto Lighting Crackdown Continues

Still think they are legal?

Chris
I am not a Yank as far as I know

T
Old 02 December 2006, 12:22 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Although my headlights don't have a wash/wipe they do have a levelling system from within the cab, so I'm half way there