Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Track day cars......any ideas??

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2006, 03:17 PM
paul2070
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track day cars......any ideas??

And before everyone says Scooby i am really precious about the condition of my cars and i cannot face taking my Classic on track(even though i am sure it would be fantastic!!).

So i was thinking of getting a Pug 205/309 1.9GTI,106GTI/Rallye(had a Rallye previously and it was good fun),Clio 16valve etc etc.

HOWEVER,

I have just stumbled across a 306 Rallye(GTI6,167BHP,but no creature comforts,so lighter and faster ).
The description given to me is that it is very well looked after by it's 1 owner(plus demo) bar the odd stone chip and a scuffed corner on the bumper,FSH,sensible miles,new cambelt(and head rebuild,due to the inevitable),and it's white.......which really appeals to me.

Now,if i go down this route my plans are to strip the interior,lower it,and do a motorbike carb conversion which should see it knocking on the door of 200bhp,and hopefully all for less than £3500,plus although it will be meticulously looked after,like everything i own,i would not have to really care about it getting chipped etc.And it would be relatively cheap to run etc etc.

So,do you guys think i should look at anything else,or have any of you owned/ran a GTI6/Rallye and have any advice??

Cheers
Old 02 November 2006, 03:55 PM
Normski
Scooby Regular

Location: Stirlingshire; Wrx type RA STi version 2 V-Limited; #097/555

I have a 205 GTi trackday car fitted with a Mi16 engine. They really are great fun on track.
The 306 sounds good also. Though, motorbike throttle bodies would be a better way to go (if you ask me).
Old 02 November 2006, 03:56 PM
Ste98Turbo
Scooby Regular

Saph Cosworth, you would get a shed for 3k but its only for track right?
Old 02 November 2006, 04:07 PM
Mangel
Scooby Regular

mate dad had a 306 rallye and absolutely loved it.

He's ex dibble driver aqnd rally driver so certainly knows his way around a cars handling and he regarded it as one of the best cars he ever owned.

As for the chips and dings thing, all french cars are made of tin foil sprayed with a can so they come with dings straight from the factory.
Old 02 November 2006, 05:27 PM
paul2070
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mangel
mate dad had a 306 rallye and absolutely loved it.

He's ex dibble driver aqnd rally driver so certainly knows his way around a cars handling and he regarded it as one of the best cars he ever owned.

As for the chips and dings thing, all french cars are made of tin foil sprayed with a can so they come with dings straight from the factory.
Obviously you have never shut a bootlid on a Classic Turbo !!!!

I did have a 106 Rallye last year that i won on ebay,and i have to say,that did handle brilliantly,and was soooooo direct and well set up for a car that cost the best part of F**k ALL .........................but ebay is the bloody problem,access to far too many ideas,and only one lifetime to fit them all in.

Anyway,the guy is supposed to be getting back to me later tonight about the 306,so i will see how it goes....................literally
Old 02 November 2006, 06:37 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

I've been at a couple of trackdays with Clio guys and they all were having a great time, one of the fastest was an old diesel.

Most of the Clio stuf is in:
The Scorpio Galleries...Bedford - 25/March/06
and
The Scorpio Galleries...Brands Hatch - 18/February/06

They're also pretty friendly at:
ClioSport - Forums
and
ClioTrophy.co.uk :: Index

Last edited by HankScorpio; 02 November 2006 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02 November 2006, 07:11 PM
Pumpkin
Scooby Senior

Get a Formula 3 car like me

Trending Topics

Old 02 November 2006, 09:33 PM
rb5_336
Scooby Regular

Get a 205, loads of tuning parts available, and go well even as standard..

Sean
Sean McKeown -> Homepage
Old 02 November 2006, 09:55 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I've noticed VTS are getting dirt cheap. You can pick up 02/03 plate examples with 30,000 miles for £3000!!! I'd imagine you'd get a 2000 example with say 50,000 miles for £1500 if you hunt around. Phase II's are renowed for having 130bhp out the box, excellent handling as standard and 930kg. A supercharger would see you using up the remainder of that £3500 budget I would imagine but with around 210bhp and 950kg it'll be rapid as ****.

Would maybe have to consider brakes though - standard pads/disks are prone to fade and warping.
Old 02 November 2006, 10:04 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
I've noticed VTS are getting dirt cheap. You can pick up 02/03 plate examples with 30,000 miles for £3000!!! I'd imagine you'd get a 2000 example with say 50,000 miles for £1500 if you hunt around. Phase II's are renowed for having 130bhp out the box, excellent handling as standard and 930kg. A supercharger would see you using up the remainder of that £3500 budget I would imagine but with around 210bhp and 950kg it'll be rapid as ****.

Would maybe have to consider brakes though - standard pads/disks are prone to fade and warping.

Yeah but 3000 quid per trackday is bit expensive.
Old 02 November 2006, 10:09 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

LOL, mines never missed a beat On a serious note the VTS has no worse a reputation than any other French car and my general opinion is that the mechanicals are pretty good but the fit and finish isn't the best - for a track car that doesn't matter though.
Old 03 November 2006, 09:49 AM
jimjon
Scooby Newbie

Corsa Sport - for Vauxhall, Opel and Holden Corsa and Barina
Old 03 November 2006, 10:08 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Buy a std car, such as the 306 and spend all your initial budget on suspension, handling and brakes. Trust me on this one.

My 205 has a 200bhp engine now, but is on std suspension (until next week ) Its hard work to drive on full bore, and I would've been better getting the chassis sorted first.

So, buy the car and sort the suspension/brakes, strip it and add a cage and buckets and give the engine a service. Add some sticky tyres and go have fun. Then later on, spend some money doing the engine, mine has bike bodies and they work well for the outlay.
Old 03 November 2006, 02:32 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Mine is pretty much standard engined. Have a look here

:: northloop.co.uk :: we're not playing games :: nurburgring galleries and more ::.

Video's are worth a look.

Gary
Old 03 November 2006, 03:34 PM
pheunos
Scooby Regular

How about an MX5? If you can see beyond the whole 'girly' thing you'll have a beautifully balanced, rear wheel drive grin machine. I've got a 1.8 MK1 which I've taken to a good few track days and its never missed a beat. Pretty cheap and very tuneable too.
Old 03 November 2006, 03:43 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Do a search on the 306 GTi-6 and Rallye on here - I think you'll find lots of recommendations. I had a phase 1 gti6 - superb motor.
Old 03 November 2006, 03:43 PM
555Rob555
Scooby Regular

I've had both a 306 GTi 6, and a 205 1.9 GTi.
IMHO the 306 was far the better car. The 205 was great fun, but had a tendancy to not only break down every 5 mins, but to try and kill me if I tried to make it go around a corner it didn't like.
The 306 was bigger and softer, but far easier to drive fast. It was also quicker.
Old 03 November 2006, 04:31 PM
paul2070
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the sugestions guys,i have has an MX5 previously and it was ok on the road,not sure about on track though.

The Formula 3 sugestion is ok,but i have had an Ariel Atom this year,and it was fun.................for 3 weeks,then i sold it.

I honestly think that for a reasonable budget it has to be french..............i have also considered the Saxo VTS's,and they are getting dirt cheap now,and the technology is a bit more modern than the 205/309 route,but sooooo many thrashed ones about,but if i can find a decent one,keeping the budget under 2k will be easy.

The Rallye was a good car(i looked at it last night),but a few niggles with it,and the guy refused to drop the price a penny..............at least at the moment.

I think aswell,whatever i buy,the brakes and suspension are the first mods after the interior is stripped,and as sugested,once that is done i can think about the power!!!
Old 03 November 2006, 09:22 PM
Dave R
Scooby Regular

Wink

Carlton GSI
Old 03 November 2006, 10:27 PM
saphcos
Scooby Regular

Mate, I had a vts with close to 160 bhp. (induction, decat, manifold exhaust cam and remap). You can easily get those mods for under 1500 and a good car for 2000. With that kind of performance you are easily beating the likes of civic type r's and handling a lot better too. Of course when you strip it things only get better! Quality car (well for what you're after anyway!)
Old 03 November 2006, 11:23 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You dont need anything spectacular for a track day car, just something that handles well.
Cheap options:-

Peugeot 306 XSi (8v) (range from next to nothing to 1.5k)
Peugeot 306 GTI-6 (cheapest on ebay at 1k)
Peugeot 306 S16 (ebay 650 quid)
Peugeot 306 XSi (16v) (one on ebay in scotland that needs a head gasket at 200 quid atm!)
They all handle very well so any one will do for a track car.

Tony
Old 03 November 2006, 11:27 PM
chrisT.O.T.B.
Scooby Regular

I'm currently selling my trackday mx5 for £3200, mint condition, full ohlins coilovers all round, track geometry, bucket seats and harnesses, chassis braces, race pads/fluids etc. super stiff chassis and setup is spot on.
proper fun trackday car, go kart handling, will drift if you want to, brakes never fade, and although only 115bhp (std engine) you wont be outclassed on any trackday. ultra reliable also
fully road legal, tyres are £30 each and last ages.

much more fun than fwd anyday
chris m
Old 04 November 2006, 12:51 AM
pheunos
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrisT.O.T.B.
I'm currently selling my trackday mx5 for £3200, mint condition, full ohlins coilovers all round, track geometry, bucket seats and harnesses, chassis braces, race pads/fluids etc. super stiff chassis and setup is spot on.
proper fun trackday car, go kart handling, will drift if you want to, brakes never fade, and although only 115bhp (std engine) you wont be outclassed on any trackday. ultra reliable also
fully road legal, tyres are £30 each and last ages.

much more fun than fwd anyday
chris m
Nooo! How can you bring yourself to sell your MX5?!? I'm afraid mine's a keeper.

Sad but true.
Old 04 November 2006, 01:44 PM
aggs
Scooby Regular

It is a good idea to buy a car track ready, will save you some money in the long run,some people prep the cars then decide not to keep it for any length of time.
I speak from experience sold my 205 which was put into perfect condition over 2 years then sold.
I was not doing enough track days to justify it, the Scooby now my everyday car again, but do miss the 205.
Be patient and wait for the right car.
There was a 205 in Scotland advertised for sale short time ago on this Site, looked ok, and was reasonable money.
Old 04 November 2006, 02:20 PM
paul2070
Scooby Regular

The more i think about it,the more my decision is being swayed to a short(ish)list of,

1.Saxo VTS or possibly even a VTR.
2.205 GTI 1.6/1.9(preferably 1.9 for obvious reasons).

The Carlton GSI is a novel sugestion though...................but only if i was going DRIFTING
Old 04 November 2006, 03:14 PM
B9GLY
Scooby Regular

VTS, newer more modern car, loads and loads of second hand parts, ie 4 pots, exhausts, suspension etc etc ect for sale cheap and great handling!
Old 04 November 2006, 04:18 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

1.Saxo VTS or possibly even a VTR.
The VTS is a lot quicker than the VTR in a straight-line and not really any more expensive or much more expensive in the 2nd hand market. Those people that say the VTR snaps at its heels are either lying or have only raced from 20-40mph in 2nd gear in town

I honestly don't think you'll go wrong with a VTS. The 205 is a great car but its fairly old now and you'll get a much younger saxo that's as quick for only a little more money. You're probably still over a grand for a good 205 anyway.
Old 04 November 2006, 04:37 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
The VTS is a lot quicker than the VTR in a straight-line and not really any more expensive or much more expensive in the 2nd hand market. Those people that say the VTR snaps at its heels are either lying or have only raced from 20-40mph in 2nd gear in town
Depends on the car, my old one was one of the first VTRs and was surprisingly close to a VTS in a straight line. There was 1 passenger difference in a straight line - VTR with just driver was the same as a VTS with 1 normal sized passenger up to well into 3 figures. Always said the speedo was out, but would do an indicated 136mph 4 up (was certainly over 120 as it averaged over this speed for a measured 15miles). It was comfortably quicker than Pumas, so I'm inclined to think it left the factory with a bit more than the manufacturers figures.

Brakes were absolute rubbish though - suffered brake loss on a spirited drive with a claimed 90bhp, and they were the same as on a VTS bar the optional ABS. Would definitely go for a VTS over a VTR on track for the higher powerband and extra bhp, but a serious brake upgrade would be required (and a seat that doesn't induce back pain after 30 mins ).

My old GTi-6 was a nice comfy road car, but wouldn't be my choice on track - too heavy and you don't need the extra space for a track car.

I would go along with Chris and advise getting something RWD, much more involving and challenging to drive.
Old 04 November 2006, 04:43 PM
paul2070
Scooby Regular

The 205 is a great car but its fairly old now and you'll get a much younger saxo that's as quick for only a little more money. You're probably still over a grand for a good 205 anyway.[/quote]

The Saxo is looking more and more like the ideal proposition really.The only problem i have with them..........and it is more my problem than the car itself,is that most are thrashed to f**k for around the £1500 mark,and i would rather pay that sort of money for a cherished 205 than a Saxo that is potetially on it's last legs,afterall,i am trying to do it on a fairly low budget.

I also know that it may not make sense buying an older car that is comparatively mint just to take on track,but even on track you can still "look after" a car,and you still have something of value to sell on again at the end(a lot of my motoring fads don't last long ).

I am certainly on the look out for a Saxo now though.................anyone got any mInters(NOT mUnters)for sale?
Old 04 November 2006, 04:59 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Saxo VTS is a good choice....good strong engine and fun handling

Quick Reply: Track day cars......any ideas??