Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

BMW 335 Twin Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2006, 04:25 AM
type.r
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW 335 Twin Turbo

I drove the New 3 series 335 Oh my god what a car...
I have driven the M3 E46 and know its fast but this thing is something else!!
3.0 with Twin turbos!! Absolute monster, Keep an eye for these, But unless your Well over 300bhp you will be foddered.
This was an auto and 160 wasnt a problem and it went over the clock!!
if you get a chance to drive one i highly recomend it.
Top car, Thumps up BMW

im not sure it out to buy yet but if anyone has one well done or go and blag yourself a 24hour test drive you wont forget it.
Old 25 October 2006, 07:57 AM
Torpid
BANNED

I've been trying to get a test drive of this for a few weeks now but the dealer keeps finding excuses to get out of it. I reckon because the salesmen are fighting over who gets the keys to take it home every night. Unusual behaviour for the normally disinterested salesforce at BMW, therefore it MUST be a good car.
Can't wait to have a crack at it.
Old 25 October 2006, 10:26 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

My brother in the trade says that its a better car than the current M3, so its a good job there is a new M3 coming soon !
Old 25 October 2006, 10:38 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Sod the power and speed for one moment, please....

Has the turbos ruined the once pretty much unique BMW trait of INSTANT throttle response??

I fear it has, as I'm yet to drive any turbo car (without anti-lag) with perfect throttle repsonse

Bring on the test drive.....
Old 25 October 2006, 11:24 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

It is a worry, but the static CR is 10.5:1 and it only uses 9psi of boost. Probably feels very good. Give it 3 years and I might buy one
Old 25 October 2006, 11:40 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

From what I hear the throttle is still very good and the smaller turbo spins up very quickly reaching peak torque at less than 1500rpm.
Old 25 October 2006, 12:11 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Location: Lancaster/Manchester or stuck in a traffic jam somewhere in between

I test drove one 3 weeks ago, theres NO lag whatsoever, infact its hard to tell its got 2 turbos bolted on. I drove the one with the steering wheel paddle shift. Was pretty quick and with it being sooo quiet and smooth, you very quickly find yourself "cruising" at 120+, going 90 feels like you're doing about 30 in a "normal" car. The salesman told me that on paper its about a second slower than the E46 M3. Still, Id want to see what the price difference is going to be on the new M3 when it comes out as a well spec'd 335i Coupe is £45k+

Jeff.

Trending Topics

Old 25 October 2006, 02:15 PM
Cupramax
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by billythekid
From what I hear the throttle is still very good and the smaller turbo spins up very quickly
Thats the diesel, the petrol 335 has two small ones with each turbo running off 3 of the cylinders whereas the diesel has one small and one large turbo running sequentially.
Old 25 October 2006, 03:05 PM
compshack
Scooby Regular

I drove one of these when they first came out. Very impressive but I wouldn't say they are as fast as a e46 m3. Of the 2 I think I would still go for the m3. Even though I've already had a M3 CS.
Jury is still out on the tuning side. One guy in the USA had had one upto 375bhp ATF with a decat exhaust and re-map, still waiting on the UK tuners. Still very early days.
Good thing is you can buy them in Saloon form unlike the M3 so might look at one when they come down a bit or the 335d
Old 25 October 2006, 03:14 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by compshack
but I wouldn't say they are as fast as a e46 m3.

Originally Posted by Jay_bee
The salesman told me that on paper its about a second slower than the E46 M3.

Jeff.
Thats 2 of us then

Jeff.
Old 25 October 2006, 05:14 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

It hasnt got LSD. The M3 will still easily outpace it around a track. Anyway BMW have underrated the power of this engine by quite a margin.

Shame about the price, image and looks though. Who has seen the convertible hardtop version? Its fookin turned into a girls car

Audi A5 on the new uber audi chassis for the win.
Old 25 October 2006, 05:17 PM
Beef
Scooby Regular

Car and Driver timed one at 4.9 to 60.
Old 25 October 2006, 05:20 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

american car mag figures dont count. They are impossible to replicate do the the way they do their testing.
Old 25 October 2006, 07:06 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by AudiLover
It hasnt got LSD. The M3 will still easily outpace it around a track. Anyway BMW have underrated the power of this engine by quite a margin.

Shame about the price, image and looks though. Who has seen the convertible hardtop version? Its fookin turned into a girls car
Is LSD a factory or dealer option?

In the grand scheme of things, who's going to buy a 335i to use on the track? PMSL

As for the convertible remark... that only applies if you want one, other than that if you're after a coupe its irrelevant!

As for the image, well, you're doing wonders for the Audi image on this forum
Old 25 October 2006, 07:11 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

It's a shame BMW dumped their virtual LSD system.

My Touring works like an LSD when I turn off the DSC (i.e allows maximum throttle but applies brakes only on the spinning rear wheel yet allows them both to spin at the same speed...controlling slip like a real LSD ) Later models seem to have a less passive system which also controls teh front brakes whilst still turned off
Old 25 October 2006, 07:13 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
It's a shame BMW dumped their virtual LSD system.

My Touring works like an LSD when I turn off the DSC (i.e allows maximum throttle but applies brakes only on the spinning rear wheel yet allows them both to spin at the same speed...controlling slip like a real LSD ) Later models seem to have a less passive system which also controls teh front brakes whilst still turned off
So if thats what it does when its off, what does it do when its on?

Jeff.
Old 25 October 2006, 07:22 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can remap these with no mods at all to produce 321bhp/478lbft (yes that torque figure is correct at 478).
Great cars, but 0-60 of the DMS showcar is only 5.5 seconds (321/478) so take anything under 5 as standard with a shovel of salt.

These deisels are fantastic, but whatever is said about this being faster than M3 and M5's is rubbish. Its a fast saloon and a great piece of engineering but its not an M car. And for outright pace BHP and weight are the main concerns, not torque.
Old 25 October 2006, 08:12 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

So if thats what it does when its off, what does it do when its on?

Jeff.
ON: Cuts off the throttle, applying both front and rear brakes brakes accordingly.

OFF: No throttle cut and only applies brakes to just the one (slipping) rear wheel.

Works too, but newers models don't have the "virtual diff"

FAO Borat: It's a petrol!
Old 25 October 2006, 08:56 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

what's worrying is that this kind of power level is now freely available to the belligerent middle management types who want to show to everyone else on the roads what huge ***** they have (or are) and that no lesser car may pass them at speed, plus you will get the pretty woman execs who (like most women) can't handle the power of a Micra let alone the kind of power offered by this BMW.

Roll on higher powered Imprezas............
Old 25 October 2006, 09:48 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

ON: Cuts off the throttle,
I fappin thought that but wasnt 100% sure!!!

I've had to knock the DSC off in the wet because when I've come to pull out of junctions etc theres been a couple of occasions when its cut the throttle just as Im getting across the lane with traffic flowing right to left to join the lane where the traffic is flowing left to right (if that makes sense? )

When you say the newer ones have lost the virtual lsd do you mean there isnt an option to switch off the DSC?

Jeff.
Old 25 October 2006, 09:55 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Varboy
what's worrying is that this kind of power level is now freely available to the belligerent middle management types who want to show to everyone else on the roads what huge ***** they have (or are) and that no lesser car may pass them at speed
+

Originally Posted by Varboy
Roll on higher powered Imprezas............
=

Suggests that if a higher powered Impreza was available, you'd wish to show those belligerent middle management types in their remapped BMW diesels that infact yours is bigger?

Jeff.

PS - that kind of power level is freely available
Old 25 October 2006, 11:05 PM
~DrEaM~
Scooby Regular

=

Suggests that if a higher powered Impreza was available, you'd wish to show those belligerent middle management types in their remapped BMW diesels that infact yours is bigger?

Jeff.

PS - that kind of power level is freely available

Old 26 October 2006, 03:37 AM
type.r
Scooby Regular

The car doesnt have any lag at all, I believe its slower than the M3 E46 to 60 but im not too sure after cos i think its faster, my best friend owns a M3 CS and unfortuatly we didnt get to run them to see however as long as you gear down before the kickdown its extreamly fast. there is about half a second delay as all auto cars do, but with the paddle you can drop the lowest gear and its power is excellent. I tested this thing Alone remember no sales man!! so it was tested proper When you try to drift in it you hear the worst noise i have ever heard from a new car!! felt like the diff was falling off!! Traction takes off too much power but really its got enough to keep you going, tight corners keep gearing down to the lowest gear it will let you and when it straightens up its there in the right gear. overall a great car.
Old 26 October 2006, 07:09 AM
MSM
Scooby Regular

i test drove the m3 a couple of months ago when i foolishly thought of changing my03 sti ppp for one. nice motor with plenty of toys, t.v. sat nav, bluetooth etc, and a comfort level way above that of the scooby. somehow it didnt seem as exiting to drive - no one stopped and stared as you went by.
the best bit was after the test drive the salesman brought me the "offer" from bmw of their part exchange deal. £11,500 for mine against the bmw at £29,000, strangely i walked away without further comment.
Old 26 October 2006, 08:29 AM
aldilover
Scooby Newbie

They are impossible to replicate do the the way they do their testing.

Ladas are best
Old 26 October 2006, 11:10 AM
borat52
Scooby Regular

FAO Borat: It's a petrol!
Sorry just jumped in on that one, didnt realise that BM were also doing turbo petrols now. Personally if I wanted performance I'd get the M, and if i wanted a quick saloon I'd get and chip a diesel Beemer.
Old 26 October 2006, 11:35 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by borat52
Sorry just jumped in on that one, didnt realise that BM were also doing turbo petrols now. Personally if I wanted performance I'd get the M, and if i wanted a quick saloon I'd get and chip a diesel Beemer.
There's quick and there's quick. In the M3 you need to keep the revs up, and tolerate an uncomfortable ride. Never driven one, but I imagine the 335i would be more relaxing in normal driving.
Old 26 October 2006, 12:23 PM
Beef
Scooby Regular

american car mag figures dont count. They are impossible to replicate do the the way they do their testing.
Dunno about that - I watched a bone stock car not just meet but better times C&D set.
Old 26 October 2006, 12:39 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
There's quick and there's quick. In the M3 you need to keep the revs up, and tolerate an uncomfortable ride. Never driven one, but I imagine the 335i would be more relaxing in normal driving.
I suppose its down to your preference really, if I wanted the fastest out there I'd want the M, but if I wanted a little more comfort/economy then I'd skip the petrol and have a diesel. more torque low down than the petrol and 40mpg too.
Old 26 October 2006, 01:04 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Max torque on the 335i is 400Nm @ 1300 RPM

Max torque on the 335d is 580Nm @ 1750 RPM

Jeff.

Quick Reply: BMW 335 Twin Turbo