Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Pug 106 cutting out - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2006, 10:20 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pug 106 cutting out - HELP!

I've just bought a Pub 106, which is a great little car except i wont go further than about 5-10 miles after which it just cuts out and is dead.

It will turn over but there is no life at all in the engine.

If you leave it 20 minutes or so it will start again and go for only a short distance i.e. another 5 miles and its kaput again.

its as if as soon as it gets warm the damn thing cuts out.

The AA man reckons it could be the coil pack but how would this affect it after it was warm.

Like i said it only happens after 5-10 miles.

Dont want to chuck loads of money at it as its not wort much.

Help!!!!

Cheers guys
Old 07 October 2006, 10:39 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

I think the problem is because its french. I think your gonna have to sell up. No clue on the problem.

Sorry!
Old 07 October 2006, 10:58 PM
lightwave693
Scooby Regular

does it smell rich, petrolley when warm? sounds like a flooding problem.. is it injection? carb? i dont know bout these cars....
Old 08 October 2006, 01:33 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

All coils generate a lot of heat, the traditional types are contained in oil to keep them cool. When the insulation begins to break down the oil, once warm, will penetrate through to the windings and cause a short. thus stopping the car. Usually it's the LT side which degrades, so you shouldn't be finding big voltages coursing through your bodyshell, but it can still fry a battery

Whether the more modern multiple coil packs are of the same construction I couldn't tell you, but I do know that they do fail.
Old 08 October 2006, 08:46 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
All coils generate a lot of heat, the traditional types are contained in oil to keep them cool. When the insulation begins to break down the oil, once warm, will penetrate through to the windings and cause a short. thus stopping the car. Usually it's the LT side which degrades, so you shouldn't be finding big voltages coursing through your bodyshell, but it can still fry a battery

Whether the more modern multiple coil packs are of the same construction I couldn't tell you, but I do know that they do fail.
cheers
Old 08 October 2006, 02:35 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lightwave693
does it smell rich, petrolley when warm? sounds like a flooding problem.. is it injection? carb? i dont know bout these cars....
It does a bit - but only when warm
Old 08 October 2006, 02:55 PM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Does it cut out dead or gradually lose power?
Does it happen every time you drive it?
When you drive the car next if it does this again you could take an old plug with you and pull a plug lead off, put the old plug in and rest it on something metal (to earth) and see if you get a spark.
The only things that will stop an older type engine eg not ecu controlled is no spark, no fuel, no compression, and as no compression cannot come and go to that degree it must be no fuel or no spark.
One other idea could be that your fuel tank has blocked its breather pipe this can cause fuel starvation as the pump can only draw a set amount of fuel before the pressure(vacuum) in the tank becomes too great to draw more fuel, you can tell by removing the fuel cap and if you hear a large whoosh sound you may have this prob, if it does this leave the cap a little loose and see if it still does it.
HTH.
Old 08 October 2006, 03:33 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

It only happens after a few miles and it just literally stops dead
Old 08 October 2006, 03:45 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

For a change I'd be tempted to agree with the AA man... god forbid! lol

Andy
Old 08 October 2006, 03:52 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

I had this problem a few years back! A new amplifier (on side of dizzy) cured it.
dave
Old 08 October 2006, 08:07 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by WHEELSHOP0_0
as no compression cannot come and go to that degree.
My XR4x4 would beg to differ there The previous engine developed a crack in one of the heads. It would run fine if started from cold, but when the head expanded as it warmed up, the crack allowed the compression to vanish on all three cylinders on that side
Old 08 October 2006, 08:09 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Trouble is Misty.. There is no dizzy. 106 is ECU controlled.
Old 08 October 2006, 08:33 PM
scuba_doo
Scooby Regular

I work at a pug dealership , what is the chassis num , dont need the numbers , only the letters starting off VF31 ???? so i know what engine is in it also the year . Is the engine management light on , if not and it cuts out check the double relay that is underneath the eng ecu on the o/s/f inner wing these can start to play up over time , again is it single point or multipoint injection ? also check resistance of eng speed sensor approx 350 ohms pins 1 and 2 of the sensor pin 3 i think is sheilding , again the green engine temp sensor may be faulty , depends on year and system when the fault is present you can disconnect the coolant sensor and the ecu will go into a limp home mode with a default engine temp of 60 Degrees c .
Really you best bet is to get any codes read out of the ecu or pcodes then should see whats the cause .
Old 08 October 2006, 10:10 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scuba_doo
I work at a pug dealership , what is the chassis num , dont need the numbers , only the letters starting off VF31 ???? so i know what engine is in it also the year . Is the engine management light on , if not and it cuts out check the double relay that is underneath the eng ecu on the o/s/f inner wing these can start to play up over time , again is it single point or multipoint injection ? also check resistance of eng speed sensor approx 350 ohms pins 1 and 2 of the sensor pin 3 i think is sheilding , again the green engine temp sensor may be faulty , depends on year and system when the fault is present you can disconnect the coolant sensor and the ecu will go into a limp home mode with a default engine temp of 60 Degrees c .
Really you best bet is to get any codes read out of the ecu or pcodes then should see whats the cause .

I think its single point and a carb does that sound right?
It is a 1.1xr on a K plate so its knocking on a bit.

I just dont want to start chucking money at it without finding for definitely what it is.

Cheers
Old 09 October 2006, 11:12 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Any other ideas????
Old 10 October 2006, 05:55 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

i had the exact same problem on a renault 19 . it was the coil cos when it warmed up the wires expand in the coil and one of them had a break thus causing the engine to cut out. pretty bloody scary when your doin 70+ on the motorway in the mornin