Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

mondeo tdci vs tddi

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2006, 09:36 PM
Tuts
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mondeo tdci vs tddi

As above really. The other half needs to replace her car and really wants a new shape mondeo. She might go for a petrol but would rather have a diesel.

So...what is the difference between the tdci and the tddi?

Is the tddi that bad?

I used to have a mark 2 td mondeo and then had a golf gttdi. Is the tdci engine similar to the vag diesels?
Old 02 October 2006, 09:47 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A quick Google found this
Old 02 October 2006, 10:00 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

TDdi has about the most annoying power delivery on any TD I've ever driven. Below 2k rpm, absolutely gutless (even off boost in 1st, where it'd lose a drag race against a push bike). Then at a little over 2k, whoosh, then 4kish that gear's done. Repeat twice, you're at the top of 3rd and doing 60. You either drive at invalid carriage speeds off boost, or flat out using the boost and the gearstick lots (if you do, it's acceptably brisk for what it is, but fuel economy suffers). Standard rattly diesel noises, not tremendously economical (IIRC the TDCi is a lot better fuel economy). From the couple of hire cars I've driven with that engine, I wouldn't part with any of my money for one.

Don't recall having driven a TDCi, but they're apparently quite good - not something you'd ever acuse the TDDi of being.
Old 02 October 2006, 10:01 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

The old man has a TDCi 130 and my lass has a Fabia VRS with the VAG 130 engine both of which are 6 speed. The Skoda feels much more pokey and easier to drive quickly (if that's what you want) but this may be down to the fact it weighs a couple of hundred kgs less than the Mondy.
Both cars are a fantastic drive and i'm damn sure you would be more than happy with either power plant.
The new shape Mondeo does however feel like a huge car when your behind the wheel - much more so than the Mk 2 Mondeo even though in reality the size difference ain't that great.
Unless she really wants a car that big, i would really recommend a test drive in a VRS
Old 02 October 2006, 10:57 PM
Tuts
Scooby Regular

Yeah, has to be a big car, they aren't a problem as she drives a 20ft van for a living and currently has a 1.8 mondeo which has just died. She did love my tdi golf though. After that I had a 2.2tdi sri vectra which she also liked to drive but doesn't like the look of them.

She has stated that she really wants a new shape mondeo so there's no arguing now.

Sounds like the 130 tdci is the one to go for. They seem to get good reviews about handling.

Thanks Brun, I had actually seen that but most of the thread is arguing about if there is such a thing as a tddi!
Old 02 October 2006, 11:13 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Ah yes i forgot about the handling. Just gonna dig out a thread of mine from a while back.
Back in 2 mins
Old 02 October 2006, 11:15 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The TDDi is the old engine, there was the TD, the TDi and the TDDi, the new common rail is the TDCi.

Tony
Old 02 October 2006, 11:17 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Click here
Old 03 October 2006, 12:00 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

I've owned both the TDDi and TDCi Mondeo's as well as a couple of the 1.9 VAG varients. My wife still has a 1.9 TDPD Fabia.

Both Mondeo's use the same 2.0 16V DOHC engine but with different fuel systems and turbos. The TDDi has a very old tech diesel injector pump and the fueling is crude by modern standards. This results in a very on/off boost power delivery, a noisy idle and a drummy engine note that never settles down even at Motorway speeds. Think along the lines of a transit van only a bit quiter.
Saying that it still has good performance and economy, far better than the old 1.8TD Mondeo.

The TDCi with it's common rail and latest VNT system is in a different league though, boost starts building from below 1500rpm and power delivery is more progressive. Idle is far smoother once warm and there is no diesel noise at all at cruising speeds.

There isn't much between the TDCi130 and VAG PD130. They have the same power but the torque output differs. The PD130 has 228lbft if its fitted with a six speed box, the TDCi130 has 243lbft continuos and 266lbft during transient overboost which is very usefull for overtaking.
Ford limit the torque in the first two gears so the Vag varients can feel more gutsy off the line but in anything less than ideal conditions the PD130 will have the traction control intervening to stop the wheel spin, 0-62 times are very similar either way. In third and above the Mondeo definitley feels stronger than a PD130 in a similar sized VAG.
In it's defence the PD130 is slightly more ecomimical and probably has less mechanical issues although the old shape Passatt/A4/Octavia/Superb are not as nice to drive as the Mondeo.

Cheers
Lee
Old 03 October 2006, 03:44 PM
eldudereno
Scooby Regular

My sister bought a new tddi about 3 years ago and my dad has recently bought a 6 month old 2.2tdci. Both are really nice cars but the 2.2tdci really shifts with great overtaking ability and is quieter on idle compared with the tddi.

Surely your budget dictates your purchase?

Old 03 October 2006, 05:34 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I own a 115bhp mondeo TDCI and love the car, i believe the 130 is a better option though, but would definately recommend the mondeo TDCi, fantastic engine, and I have driven VAG comparables in the past too
Old 03 October 2006, 08:06 PM
Tuts
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys.

Budget doesn't seem to matter as I have seen both tddi and tdci for similar money. God knows why people would want the tddi by the sound of it though!
Old 03 October 2006, 11:01 PM
mg driver
Scooby Regular

i had a 130 tdci mondeo ,was surprisingly nippy for a big car and handled pretty well too,good car.
Old 04 October 2006, 11:12 PM
Tuts
Scooby Regular

OK scrub all that! She just drove a 1.8 52 plate and has put a deposit on it as it is fully loaded and absolutely mint with full ford service etc etc. High miles but cheap, 94000 but all motorway as it is ex fleet.
Cheers for the advice anyway guys.