Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Cerbera as an everyday car?

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 2006, 12:58 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cerbera as an everyday car?

Probably a stupid question but i've always been a fan of the Cerbera and looking around at the prices, they're really tempting me.

However, the car would be used as a daily driver, to work and the rest (although I only live 3 miles from work), so is it really possible to use one all the time?

I have no ideas about running costs but expect them to be high, but doing only 5-6k miles per year, the costs aren't going to be astronomical.

Any experiences of these cars, and are they really as unreliable as is claimed?
Old 01 October 2006, 01:04 PM
mick_tvr
Scooby Regular

Have a look here, maybe some help. http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/

I,ve got a Chimaera,it has the rover V8.I used it every day until recently and had no problems apart from regular servicing.

The Cerbera either has the AJP v8 or Speed 6 engine ! Have a read up and make up your own mind.

Mick
Old 01 October 2006, 01:05 PM
eldudereno
Scooby Regular

I've been considering one myself recently but haven't had the nerve to buy one yet. Through various bit of research I've found out that most Cerb owners reckon you should have a contingency fund of £3k / year available to spend on maintaining the car.

Stay clear of the speed 6 engine unless it has recently undergone a rebuild.

Old 01 October 2006, 01:18 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Servicing is more than double the cost of a Chimaera/Griff service - as well as an oil change and all the usual, they do stuff like check valve clearances etc on the Cerbera.

I had a ride in a 4.5 Cerbera a few years back and it was one seriously quick car - savage acceleration - 0-100 in just under 8 seconds is proper supercar quick.

Wouldnt use one everyday however, its just a waste - especially on a 3mile commute. Best to get a work-hack like a Fiesta and look forward to using the Cerbera on weekends!
Old 01 October 2006, 03:05 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Considered one myself a couple of years ago, insurance was very cheap compared to the Scoobys and Evo I've had. But I would have to leave the car on my driveway at night as I have no garage and no where to work on it if anything went wrong with it, which kind of put me off.

Ive heard horror stories like everybody else, but I have heard some owners with Cerbera's with 60k miiles and not had any major problems.

Trouble is I wasnt prepared to take the gamble, incase I got a bad one, You only have to look on PistonHeads or Auto Trader and see some TVR's with engine rebuilds after a few thousand miles.
Old 02 October 2006, 01:03 PM
John57
Scooby Regular

I looked at Cerbera's before buying a Griffith 500 about 18 months ago. I didn't think I could afford the running costs and have always wanted a Griffith so that is the way I went ....

As has been mentioned budget about £3K a year ...... they are not cheap to run but that should be expected from something that will compete with exotica.

As for everyday use ..... Depends on how hardcore you like your 3 miles to work I don't use my Griffith to work (4 miles) as I don't think it gives it a chance to warm up properly.

Best check out the Cerbera forum on www.pistonheads.com for advice from owners .....
Old 02 October 2006, 01:13 PM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Cerbera was great car, but hardcore (not unexpected), reliability was OK for me, niggles but no real probs. Sold it with 7k miles covered, main reason was uncomfortable cabin(my size not cars fault) heat soak into cabin on hot days made it real hot on hot days when I wanted to use it most.
Got the wife a Chimera 5.0 for fun and more comfort but above 5k. rpm the Cerbera was just awesome.http://s100.photobucket.com/albums/m...Anch=imgAnch5:)
Old 05 June 2007, 09:20 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

It's alot of car for the money, I was toying with a VX220/elise, but that idea now well and truly binned...

TVR : Cerbera 4.2

Old 05 June 2007, 09:38 PM
stevebennett
Scooby Regular

They are seriously quick cars, but as an everday i wouldnt want to risk it to be honest.

A low mile commute would not do the car anygood. But if you had a corsa/fiesta as a monday to thursday car and use the cerb on a fri - sunday then i think you will be fine.

But they will break and will cost a small fortune to fix. tyres will only last 6000miles if you are light on the right foot.

But as said before steer clear of the speed 6 unless it has been rebuit to in the last couple of years by a reputable indipendent. Engine rebuild costs are around 5k-7k depending on the problem.

Servicig can be as cheap as £300 from an indipendent for a 6000k service but can start at £750 for a major 12k and go upto 2k if you are unlucky.

Clutchs go at about 30000 miles if the 4.2 has not been replace before you will need to budget for a new clutch and flywheel as the 4.2 clutch is not made no more and you will have to upgrade to the 4.5 clutch and flywheel.

Electrics go wrong. trim falls off.
Old 05 June 2007, 09:41 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Stunning . Still want one
Old 05 June 2007, 09:44 PM
stevebennett
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby_matt
Stunning . Still want one
Its one of those car on a lot of peoples list to own 1 day if not the cerbera but the Tuscan S (redrose edition)!
Old 05 June 2007, 09:45 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Originally Posted by stevebennett
negative yip yap....

Electrics go wrong. trim falls off.
Electrics are easy. Use glue
Old 05 June 2007, 09:52 PM
stevebennett
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip Sengravy
Electrics are easy. Use glue
Electrics are a pain in the ****..... driving back one evening front lights working... But no back lights at all.. Seems that a rear seat passenger had kicked the main electrical connector that connects the rear light clusters. took him 2 days to find the problem!

you can run one on a budget if you look after the bloody thing. depends where you are located, but my mate has had both of his TVRs serviced by Offord motor company near cambridge.

1st a chimera sold to get a 4.5 cerb. had it for 2 years and only required routine servicing plus alternator. total running cost excluding petrol are £1400 for 12000 miles. (2 services + alternator + tyres)

insurance for 30 year old was no more than £450 per year.
Old 05 June 2007, 09:56 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

I read they don't handle too well ?

It's not a big point on my list, I don't drive fast anyway
Old 05 June 2007, 10:03 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

I guess they are as reliable as any other kit car.
Old 05 June 2007, 10:17 PM
martyrobertsdj
Scooby Regular

Meow!!
Old 05 June 2007, 10:21 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

It seems to me, that if you had 10+ K to spend on something overly nippy, and didn't want to go down the jap route, then this is the way to go. This is assuming you are avoiding a caterfield type death trap .
You either get something like a TVR or perhaps a BMW M, or porker... In any event it will be of an age. An engine rebuild or drivetrain work will cost big ££'s you whatever you choose.
Old 05 June 2007, 11:09 PM
Probein
Scooby Regular

Aside from running/servicing costs, I think you have to think realistically about reliability. Being a TVR it -will- explode at some point, which could mean you're out of a motor for a while (which, if you commute to work, could be a pain in the ****). I'd personally advise doing as previously suggested and having a small runabout for monday-wednesday and the cerb for thurs-sunday or something. That way at least you'll have something to fall back on.

Last edited by Probein; 05 June 2007 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06 June 2007, 02:52 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip Sengravy
I read they don't handle too well ?
Secondary ride is terrible, but many have aftermarket suspension which improves things. Mine had prodigious amounts of grip and could also be provoked into (relatively) manageable slides.