Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

New TT review

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2006, 11:31 AM
Rabid
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New TT review

I'm probably one of the first here to get chance to drive this car so I thought I'd share my impressions.

My local dealer got a 2.0T in today, prior to it's official launch on Sept 1st. 1/2 hour after it rolled off the transporter he took me out in it then let me have a go.

First impressions- feels a lot cheaper than the outgoing model. Plastics quality and build just aren't upto scratch IMO. I wouldn't be happy owning one from this point of view. A lot of the nice little touches are gone as well, the alloy braces in the footwell for example. Hard to put my finger on it but it just isn't as special as the old one felt.

The drive- things got a lot better here. This 2.0 felt light on it's toes- much better than a Golf V GTI which is the same chassis/engine. The TT had a real sports car feel to it, very pointy and direct. Some of this is down to it being much lower than a Golf I'm sure but overall it was a better drive.
The engine was still tight (with 15kms on it you'd expect that) so we didn't cane it but it still pulled nicely. The brakes were much better than the usual Audi effort as well, they actually had some feel in them,although again out of respect for the newness of the car (and the dealer sat next to me) I didn't hammer them

Overall the new TT is good even in FWD 2.0 form, the DSG V6 with quattro will be miles better I'm sure. As I'm booked in to drive one next week I'll know for sure.

Only other comment is the price- the 2.0 looks crap with 'tetris' cloth and the 17's it had fitted. So a decent spec is going to add ££££ to the price. I reckon dangerously close to some far tastier machinery. Plus the TT doesn't have that special feeling it once had and in the flesh the new nose does make it look a little bloaty.

I wouldn't want to own one which I guess is the point. Could try harder Audi.
Old 29 August 2006, 12:08 PM
Vlad the Impaler
Scooby Regular

Interesting.

I was actually shocked at how crap the old TT interior was, having heard all the hype.

Nice design touches, nicely screwed together, but not particularly good quality. The dials, in particular, were just nasty and cheap looking.

Not good to hear the new one is worse interior wise.

This should be a partcular worry to Audi as 90% of TT buyers probably base their purchase decision on looks and image
Old 29 August 2006, 12:16 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Think the old TT was a love it or loathe it design - especially the inside. I'm not overly tall 5 11, and could not belive how little room there was in the old TT cabin and I hated those stupid braces !
Do want to see one in the flesh and in dark colour before deciding on that snout !
Richard
Old 29 August 2006, 12:37 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suspect that the FWD 2.0 version is probably better in most situations than the 4wd 2.0, i.e. when you dont need extra traction which is most of the time, in the dry with big tyres and 197 bhp (?) it wont trouble the tyres that much and it will be a lot lighter with less trans losses, I reckon people will drive 2wd demos and expect the 4wd to be better and isnt for most people most of the time, you only regret being a cheapskate when pulling out of a wet junction.

Its got to be better than the poor 180 BHP MK1, what a lardy thing that was, fancy paying 20 odd grand and then not being able to outrun a MK2 Golf GTI 8 valve, a 16 valve would have p1ssed all over it.

How long before we get the Gay comments, maybe a few Gay men did buy one but I think the problem with the TT is that car enthusiasts class it as a non enthusiast posers car and then through a lack of imagination just call it Gay, the new one look a bit more serious so it may stop.

Another car crossed off Rabid's list, the inoxerable pull to an MG is becoming overwhelming.
Old 29 August 2006, 01:29 PM
Rabid
BANNED

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I suspect that the FWD 2.0 version is probably better in most situations than the 4wd 2.0, i.e. when you dont need extra traction which is most of the time, in the dry with big tyres and 197 bhp (?) it wont trouble the tyres that much and it will be a lot lighter with less trans losses, I reckon people will drive 2wd demos and expect the 4wd to be better and isnt for most people most of the time, you only regret being a cheapskate when pulling out of a wet junction.

Its got to be better than the poor 180 BHP MK1, what a lardy thing that was, fancy paying 20 odd grand and then not being able to outrun a MK2 Golf GTI 8 valve, a 16 valve would have p1ssed all over it.

How long before we get the Gay comments, maybe a few Gay men did buy one but I think the problem with the TT is that car enthusiasts class it as a non enthusiast posers car and then through a lack of imagination just call it Gay, the new one look a bit more serious so it may stop.

Another car crossed off Rabid's list, the inoxerable pull to an MG is becoming overwhelming.
Interesting comments about the old TT, I never actually owned one (MKIV Golf chassis put me off) but I did share a few lengthy drives and have use of one over a weekend or two. I thought it was one of the best put together Volkswagen AG products I've ever been in. Had a bespoke feel to the interior. As for room I'm 6foot 4 and never had any problem other than visibility.

Regarding the new TT the salesman told me that the 2.0 does feel subjectively faster but isn't by a long shot. Chipped I imagine this would be a different scenario. At launch the quattro V6 is the only car available with DSG another reason for choosing the quattro. Can't wait for a drive to make the comparison.

The TT was never on the list for buying, not my sort of car at all. The reason I was in the Audi dealership is that I'm slumming it in an old S8 and needed to get the aircon recharged.
While I decide where to put my money next. 996 Turbos are becoming scarily affordable but the quality issues put me off.

Needless to say MG's won't be featuring on the list until I'm in penury.
Old 29 August 2006, 03:23 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rabid
I'm slumming it in an old S8 and needed to get the aircon recharged.
While I decide where to put my money next. 996 Turbos are becoming scarily affordable but the quality issues put me off.
Another "RICH" keyboard Millionaire.

Do you and Deep Singh work at the same place or something

I'd love to know what these people who say they can afford this or that, really earn, or really drive for that matter. Apparently Deep Singh can buy a property on his credit card

Que, name calling from Rabid !!
Old 29 August 2006, 04:18 PM
Rabid
BANNED

Originally Posted by stilover
Another "RICH" keyboard Millionaire.

Do you and Deep Singh work at the same place or something

I'd love to know what these people who say they can afford this or that, really earn, or really drive for that matter. Apparently Deep Singh can buy a property on his credit card

Que, name calling from Rabid !!
If I was rich I'd be looking at a 997 not a sub 50K LHD 996.

Perhaps if you had worked a little harder in school and looked for the right opportunities you could have yourself a job that pays a decent salary tax free, for all your living accomodation, medical bills and provides a per diem probably equal to your weekly wage?
Just a thought but maybe that or night school might be more productive than being jealous of others?
Old 29 August 2006, 04:41 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

If I was rich I'd be looking at a 997 not a sub 50K LHD 996.

Perhaps if you had worked a little harder in school and looked for the right opportunities you could have yourself a job that pays a decent salary tax free, for all your living accomodation, medical bills and provides a per diem probably equal to your weekly wage?
Just a thought but maybe that or night school might be more productive than being jealous of others?
Like I said, Keyboard Millionaire.
So you have a high paid, tax free job, that pay's Waaaaaaayyyyy more than me ?? You might well have, but I doubt it.
Funny thing as well, is that Deep Singh always uses the "Should have tried harder at School" lines. Are you two one of the same ???????????

I think I'll register as another user, and come on here pretending to have a high paid, tax free job that pay's Waaaaayyyyyy more than you. Or Deep.

Pretending to be rich, and being rich are totaly different. Show us some pics of your car, your house, your wage slip. Prove to us just how much better off you are than us. And no downloading pics of the net either.

No doubt on another site, your a 14 year old schoolboy, or girl ?
Old 29 August 2006, 05:00 PM
Rabid
BANNED

Like I said, Keyboard Millionaire.
So you have a high paid, tax free job, that pay's Waaaaaaayyyyy more than me ?? You might well have, but I doubt it.
Funny thing as well, is that Deep Singh always uses the "Should have tried harder at School" lines. Are you two one of the same ???????????

I think I'll register as another user, and come on here pretending to have a high paid, tax free job that pay's Waaaaayyyyyy more than you. Or Deep.

Pretending to be rich, and being rich are totaly different. Show us some pics of your car, your house, your wage slip. Prove to us just how much better off you are than us. And no downloading pics of the net either.

No doubt on another site, your a 14 year old schoolboy, or girl ?
For obvious reasons I wouldn't post up pictures merely in order to satisfy some 'nub' on scoonynet. What would it prove anyway? That I'm a trained monkey that goes round sticking up pictures to satisfy some knobber on this BBS is all.
What acts as the best proof anyone could need is my breadth of knowledge on subjects only a true epicure (with the funds to indulge it) could know about.
For that all you need to do is go and look at my post history. I guess also a moderator could confirm that I am in fact posting from outside the UK, where I currently work in my 'made up' tax free employment.
Who is this user Deep Singh you have a problem with? I've never come into contact with him but it sounds as you are literally eaten up wth jealousy over him. Shame.
Old 29 August 2006, 05:00 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Well said mate....Lets see the wage slips pal!.......Put up or shut up....If you were as wealthy as you make out why do you come on here? I'm pretty sure if I earned what you let on you do, I'd be posting on better forums than a "subaru" forum.
dave

Oh! and just for the sake of argument, I have a joint income of £60k before tax coming in to mine...And we work feckin hard for it, and no way do we think we're wealthy....
Old 29 August 2006, 05:03 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Back on topic for a moment.

The old TT was best bought used and cheap I thought - our old New Business manager used to run one. thirty something, single, tricky flat 3 items of furniture in it, always dressed like a student - you know the type. That's who I can see behind the wheel. I have no doubt that with the right tuning you can create a very competent sport's coupé, but I just can't get past the image of our old New Business manager?!?!

It was a massively successful car so I can only assume that the new one will be similar to keep existing customers on the hook?!!?
Old 29 August 2006, 05:03 PM
Rabid
BANNED

Originally Posted by misty
Well said mate....Lets see the wage slips pal!.......Put up or shut up....If you were as wealthy as you make out why do you come on here? I'm pretty sure if I earned what you let on you do, I'd be posting on better forums than a "subaru" forum.
dave

Oh! and just for the sake of argument, I have a joint income of £60k before tax coming in to mine...And we work feckin hard for it, and no way do we think we're wealthy....
Why would I put up 'wage slips' which I don't get anyway in order to impress a pair of bozos? FYI I do post on 'better' than a Subaru forum but this place has an above average number of morons for me to abuse.

I agree a joint income of 60K before tax doesn't qualify in any way as wealthy. How do you manage?

I don't consider myself wealthy either.
Old 29 August 2006, 05:06 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

I agree a joint income of 60K before tax doesn't qualify in any way as wealthy. How do you manage?.
No need
Old 29 August 2006, 05:07 PM
Rabid
BANNED

Originally Posted by Andy M3
No need
What's more tragic is the 'work hard for it' part. I do more or less sod all for my money.
Old 29 August 2006, 05:11 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I'm a trained monkey

No comment !!
Old 29 August 2006, 05:12 PM
Vlad the Impaler
Scooby Regular

LOL

How ironic (or not ) - the TT thread becomes a bitch slap fest
Old 29 August 2006, 05:13 PM
Rabid
BANNED

I think I'll register as a 14 year old schoolboy, or girl ?
No comment
Old 29 August 2006, 05:14 PM
Rabid
BANNED

Originally Posted by Vlad the Impaler
LOL

How ironic (or not ) - the TT thread becomes a bitch slap fest
the most ironic part is that it was actually a bit of a drivers car.

Anyway I think calling the two saps, sti and misty, bitches is a bit harsh, they're more like ******.
Old 29 August 2006, 05:16 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

No comment
You had to change what I said. I just highlighted what you said.
Old 29 August 2006, 05:47 PM
Rabid
BANNED

You had to change what I said. I just highlighted what you said.
I didn't change anything, just omitted parts, just like you did.
Old 29 August 2006, 06:09 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

The 3 of you are as bad as each other!!

To bring this back on topic I NEVER liked the original TT. Nothing to do with it's homosexual stigma, purely down to it's ability to look like an up-turned jelly mould
With those horrible buggy headlights, it just looked like the designer had seen the new beetle drawings sat around, squinted, and re-drew what he/she saw. The TT was born.

However, the new one does look quite nice IMHO A lot more purposeful. Still a fashion statement rather than a driver's car as per the poster's testdrive comments (for the time being until proven otherwise, I'll exercise Rabid some artistic license and cite him/her as a "driver" )

The big problem for the TT is the new A5 coupe coming out next year (IIRC)....

Dan
Old 30 August 2006, 01:16 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

LOL!!

What did Rabid do to get banned?

DAn