Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Weird electrical problem - hazards lights stuck on

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2006, 06:38 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird electrical problem - hazards lights stuck on

On my Audi A6, the hazard lights are stuck on. Not flashing, just constantly on. Tried disconnecting battery and reconnecting, still they stay on.

Driving back at the weekend, they came on (constant, not flashing) for a few seconds a couple of times but then they behaved for most the journey so thought little of it.

One thing however, the window got left open 10 days ago and the passenger well got some water in, not that much but enough to leave a small puddle. Mostly now cleared although I've got the rear carpet up to help dry out the carpet and underlay. Could this be related?

Anyone any ideas?
Old 22 August 2006, 10:12 PM
Smiler
Scooby Regular

Had the same years ago.

Orion fitted with a Cobra alarm with battery backup. Unit got damp and as a result hazards on solid even if you disconnected battery (hazards then drew current from alarm battery).

Can't remember the fix
Old 22 August 2006, 10:40 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Left the car with windows open and battery disconnected. Fine for now, prob come on in the night and drain the battery though!!

Car lives on my drive which is on a slope and was facing nose down last night so moisture/water probably headed towards the front. I'll leave it on flat or nose up and windows a little open for now to dry it out.
Old 23 August 2006, 09:22 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Problem still exists, darn.

Had the carpets up (sort of, can't remove seat!) and the front is quite wet underneath. the sponge stuff is quite soaked. I have put a towel underneath to help air it and take some of the moisture.

There's a spongy type insulation above the footwell towards the bulkhead that seems to go up (towards the pollen filter??) and this is rather wet too which makes me think a leak or just with the torrential downpour last weekend just was too much? THe pollen filter is dry btw. I found a load of connectors under the carpet to the side. I assume one of these is for the hazard lights (or alarm?) that needs drying out? Tried taking them all out, none of them turned off the hazards.

Had the hazard switch out, unplug it and the lights go out. However the indicators then don't work. SO, put back together and removed the hazard fuse (not the indicator one) and the hazard lights are now disabled but the indicators do flash when you indicate left/right ok but they flash rapidly. This may be the only interim solution until car is properly sorted out as then at least I can drive it. Rest of car works properly, all lights, stereo etc.

Anyone any ideas?
Old 25 August 2006, 09:01 PM
Nick100
Scooby Regular

Sounds like alarm problems.
Had a 306 which used to lock the indicators on (not flashing) on one side or the other. It would eventually flatten the battery and then the alarm would go off for 20 minutes
Found I could pull a fuse to the alarm and it would reset it. Pain though - never did get it fixed !
Old 25 August 2006, 09:10 PM
eliters
Scooby Regular

may be the relay is damp inside take it out and put in airing cupboard over night,failing that do the same with the alarm module box,hth,neil.
Old 25 August 2006, 09:14 PM
jgevers
Scooby Regular

The actual hazard light switch will be at fault. It is part of a small control unit.

Common fault
Old 25 August 2006, 11:50 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Not the hazard switch, I replaced that.

water in control unit under passenger carpet. Dried it out and found some copper oxidisation (blue gunk) and re-plugged everything and so far it's fine