Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

scoob or evo?

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2006, 10:20 PM
mg driver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scoob or evo?

dont want to start a war of words but what are the pros and cons of a scooby sti with ppp to 300 bhp versus an evo fq 300 both about 3 or 4 years old (ish).
thinking like all the running costs
servicing
reliability
practicality
how much juice they sup
and of course performance ,handling,brakes etc .

i guess the evo is a lot rarer and also not quite as in your face as the scoob,anyone had both and can compare?
Old 13 August 2006, 10:44 AM
Gttboy
Scooby Newbie

I think on most of what you've stated they're pretty equal...till you get to the handling side of things...then it depends how you drive,i believe the evo is a bit stiffer so is not as nice to drive on the cr*ppy uk roads,both will have phenominal handling,but i think the Sccob will just edge it over the Evo on the B's,but then again its all down to driving style i suppose.On a track its a different story i beleive.(based on standard spec cars)
Just what i read or heard somewhere.

Steve
Old 13 August 2006, 10:54 AM
richie001
Scooby Regular

the evo is the better car just
Old 13 August 2006, 11:17 AM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

u need to sell the kids to service an evo:P
Old 13 August 2006, 11:30 AM
bob r
Scooby Regular

consider the insurance also, for me the evo insurance was another 30% more.
Old 13 August 2006, 11:31 AM
leonpoole
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by phil_wrx
u need to sell the kids to service an evo:P
thats the only thing putting me off getting an evo. I do love them but the fact you need to service them so often puts me off a bit. Its that what is making me think get another scooby instead
Old 13 August 2006, 12:12 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you

The 'other' service is just for the diff though, isn't it?

Trending Topics

Old 13 August 2006, 01:09 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

How often does the Impreza need servicing then?

Everyone goes on about the 4,5k servicing on the evo but isn't the impreza 6k?

Say 12k miles a year.. Impreza serviced 4 times in 2 years, evo serviced 5 times in 2 years.. Big deal, if you can't afford another few quid for that then you certainly aren't going to enjoy the fuel bills and depreciation on either!
Old 13 August 2006, 01:19 PM
Gav
Scooby Regular

My JDM Sti only needs servicing every 10k with an oil change every 5k.

My advice is to drive both cars and see which you prefer. But the EVO will be more expensive to run and insure!

Gav..
Old 13 August 2006, 01:27 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

So it's oil every 5k!

The only extra the evo has is the AYC bath fluid. If Mitsubishi try and charge anymore than around £30 for this then tell them where to go. The full system change (pump, res, flush) doesn't need to be done that much. The AYC bath holds less than 1 litre of the fluid and takes them about 2 mins to change while the car is on the ramp.
Old 13 August 2006, 01:37 PM
markGT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richie001
the evo is the better car just
Having owned a Evo 6.5 Tommi Makenin which in Evo circles is still regarded as the best Evo incarnation and now owning a MY05 STI PPP here is my 10 pence worth. The Evo is a stunning car in every aspect, the power delivery compared to my PPP is totally different with the power band of the Evo being much shorter which is a blast and very addictive. The STI PPP has a much more linear power band spread across much more of the rev range. As for the handling they do exactly the same thing but in different ways if you know what I mean. The Evo seems to skip around corners where the STI PPP just goes around without any fuss or skipping. When I got rid of the Tommi (which is another story) I test drove both an MR 300 and the STI PPP, I came away with the STI PPP.

However they are both awesome cars and you won't be disappointed with either.
Old 13 August 2006, 02:41 PM
wolfie28
Scooby Regular

Went to buy and Evo 7 FQ-330 last year (sell my Scooby) and this is what I found:

Servicing - I do approx 12k per year and the Mitsi dealer quoted me £1200 in servicing costs at a 4.5k frequency. Subaru was £150-500 depending on service due with a 10k frequency with a 5k oil change (recommended but not compulsary). Also note that Evo parts (pads, discs, etc) are slightly more expensive.

Reliability - Both cars are solid as a rock in this department, however if you want to mod your car at a later date the Evo will cost you less to get larger BHP/torque figures.

Practicality - Depends on what you mean as practical, yes they both have 4 doors a large boot and are not big cars to drive around city/town streets, or do you mean practical as taking the grand parents on days out, daily school runs, then not really. Also insurance on the Evo was approx £150 per year more than the Scoob for me.

Fuel consumption - Well 300 miles to a full tank of Super unleaded/Optimax (over £1 per litre) is a very rare sight. If you like the spirited drive then more like 160-240 a tank.

Performance, handling, etc - loads of info on this in magazines/internet. The best way is to drive them both, back to back if you can and decide for yourself. Most car mags say the Evo is the most driver focused car but the Scooby is the easiest to live with day to day.

In the end I stuck with with Scoob because the Evo didn't give me that much more excitement over the Scoob for the big jump in running costs.
These were my personal experiences so I'm sure folks will disagree with what I've mentioned, but as I've said IMHO.

Hope this helps, nice choice to make though and both cars are excellent.

Wolfie.
Old 13 August 2006, 04:09 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

If your into modding, then the Evo wins hands down for BHP/pounds need to be spent.

An FQ300 can be taken to 380/380 relatively easily.

It took me 2.5Ltr forged engine, injectors, apexi, new MAF, Zorst, headers, and much much more circa 10K+ to get to around 380/380.

The Evo will see this figure or close to it with nothing more than a decat and remap.

p.s The AYC is unreal in road driving conditions and would leave a Scoob in its wake with jo average driver.

The the parts / knowledge base and following of scoobs it much greater.
Old 15 August 2006, 06:36 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Had 2 scoobys and have a Evo at the moment.

Having owned both cars I think my heart is still with the scooby! I love the Evo to bits, but the trouble is the servicing every 4,500miles gets up my nose and the boring hairdryer exhaust note, Evo is quicker and better handling, but the scooby has lots of character, only trouble is theres loads of scoobys about, where as the Evo I hardley see any!

Both cars are pretty bad on the juice, But if your worried about that then I wouldnt bother buying either. Insurance was a extra £50 on top of what I was paying on my UK 2004 WRX and that was for a Jap imported Evo.

And as RobEvo5 said about modding, you will get more power for the money out of the Evo then the scooby, My evo is pushing 370bhp with full 3" decat exhaust system, airfilter, fuel pump, Apexi Ecu and boost controller set at 1.6bar. It cost me close to £5k if not more to get my blobeye WRX to 310bhp.

If I had to buy the 2 cars again, id go for a new shape STi, The Evo does not give me that much more a buzz over the Scoob for the hassle of having to pay the extra running costs!