Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Honda 2.2 CDTI

Search this Thread

Old 11 August 2006, 08:49 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda 2.2 CDTI

Anyone running either an Accord or Civic with this engine? I am thinking about getting a Civic for the fuel economy and wondered if you see anything like the claimed 55mpg on the motorway?

Cheers
Old 11 August 2006, 10:01 PM
DMC12
Scooby Regular

I've got the Accord. I recently managed just over 700 miles on a tank which worked out at around 53mpg although this was virtually all motorway at around 60mph. With "normal" motorway use I get around 600 miles or 45mpg.

I do around 18k a year and it's a very nice place to be.

Cheers

Steve.
Old 12 August 2006, 09:39 AM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

I think economy on most modern common rail and PD engined diesels is very dependant on road type and driving style.
I had an old 110TDi Octavia with old style direct injection fuel pump and it would always return around 50mpg.
I'm currently running a Mondeo TDCi130 and it averages about 45mpg, be heavy footed around town with the climate control on and it will drop way under 40mpg but take it really steady on a motorway or A road and it will do low 50's.
My wifes Fabia 1.9PDTDi is the same, she mainly drives around town and it usually returns around 43mpg, she recently did a 70-80mph 250 mile M1/A1 trip with four people in and it returned 57.8mpg.

Cheers
Lee
Old 12 August 2006, 01:03 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys,

Very useful to know the difference between the claimed figures and the real world. It would seem that all the diesels are much of a muchness when it comes to real world economy. Going to be doing intergalatic miles in the near future and the Honda looks like it will fit the bill. The Fabia always gets great reviews but the Honda will run it pretty close on fuel economy. Anyone want to buy an 8-month old STI?
Old 14 August 2006, 12:58 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

I have Civic and the garage I got it from 'forgot' to MOT when they sold it to me. So they had to give me a demo for the weekend while mine got sorted. They gave me a top of the line Accord EX 2.2 i-CTDI with 6spd manual. The gear box is a bit of a pain, a little laggy low down the revs,then a burst of power and have to change gear really quick.

This one had the full body kit (in black), and 18" gun smoke alloys. Handled really well, loads of grip, but quite floaty cause it has a little bit too much sus travel. The diesel is apsolutley amazing though, I would say it's one of the best (if not the) on the market.

I drove from London to Malvin to the big chill, tanked it all the way, then sat on M/W in 6th crusing at 90-120 there and back, and I used less than £40 of dielse in the (350 odd) round trip. Bare in mind I was red lining it everywhere, speed was my priority as I wanted to make the most of my time. You have a little trip computer and below 3.5k revs it was showing around 55mpg, put your bood down and it drops to 30's, but hving a VTEC petrol, that's mine on a good day, so for me it was uber-economy!

I drove the Civic 2.2 i-CTDI Sport at the motorshow, I think you'd be better off with one of those if you want a more responsive and sporty drive, as the chassis is a bit stiffer.
Old 14 August 2006, 08:19 PM
andys
Scooby Regular

my other car is a civic 2.2 CTDI Ex. It a great car and if driven correctly on the motorway will easily do 50+ mpg