Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Replacement glass for Focus wingmirror???

Search this Thread

Old 07 August 2006, 08:40 PM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Location: "Every one should have a friend called Dave - they're the human equivalent of a Swiss Army knife!!"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Replacement glass for Focus wingmirror???

I've managed to break the glass in my drivers side wing mirror . My Focus is a 2001 2.0 Zetec ESP with colour coded mirror casings. Can I just purchase replacment glass or IIRC I have to buy a whole new mirror unit! There's no other damage to the wingmirror so I'm hoping I can just replace the glass. Anyone know?

Cheers
Old 07 August 2006, 08:58 PM
DARKDESTROYER9
Scooby Regular

yes you can just replace the glass if its got electric mirrors (which it should being as it has esp) it will cost you roughly £19
Old 07 August 2006, 09:08 PM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Location: "Every one should have a friend called Dave - they're the human equivalent of a Swiss Army knife!!"

Originally Posted by DARKDESTROYER9
yes you can just replace the glass if its got electric mirrors (which it should being as it has esp) it will cost you roughly £19
Cheers for the quick reply DARKDESTROYER9. Yes, mine are electric and heated. I took the old glass out after disconnecting the two wires but I cant figure out how i'm going to replace the new glass. The old glass with its mounting plate attached had already come away from the part that moves electrically (hopefully i'm explaining myself here). I tried putting the old one back on but couldnt figure out how it went on. It would appear that you get one end on and then it just push fits with the other end effectively snapping home but I couldnt get it on at all. There must a certain way to do this, any ideas???
Old 07 August 2006, 09:11 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

From memory, when I knocked mine off using a tractor! :O One end hooks end and the other clips in with a ball and socket affair! Get your new glass and it will become more obvious as to whether or not you need to seperate summat off your broken glass.
Old 07 August 2006, 09:27 PM
DARKDESTROYER9
Scooby Regular

bob is right in what he is saying but remember to hook the correct side in first, otherwise when you go to clip it in it will break (im not being sarcastic ive just seen it done loads of times by customers at work)
Old 07 August 2006, 09:30 PM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys. Now I need to hunt down some replacement glass. Normally I wouldnt go down the Halfrauds route but they are right opposite my work so for convenients sake would I be able to get the glass from them?
Old 07 August 2006, 09:48 PM
DARKDESTROYER9
Scooby Regular

possible but will proberly fall off two mile down the road i personally would goto a ford dealer they should have them on the shelf if you do just get the partsman to fit it (if he brakes it he has to go and get another free of charge where has if you did you have to pay twice)

Trending Topics

Old 08 August 2006, 05:46 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

We needed a new wingmirror glass for our focus.
I got the wife to buy the glass from our local ford dealer, she fluttered her eye lashes and hey presto they fittted the mirror glass foc.
As above, if they **** it up (very easy) and brake it. They will use another foc.

Worth a try.

dipster

Last edited by davedipster; 08 August 2006 at 05:48 AM.
Old 08 August 2006, 07:24 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.fordpartsuk.com/

Worth a look
Old 09 August 2006, 08:32 AM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the info chaps. Now need to hunt some glass down
Old 10 August 2006, 09:29 AM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Cheers for all your help guys. All sorted now. Went to Ford dealers in Slyfield Ind Est near Guildford and got sorted out by a very helpfull chap at the spares desk. Had to fit it myself in the end as all their techs were at lunch but after 5 mins of inspecting the mechanism I figured it out and it clicked it without any major force from my part. For future reference you need to clip the side in thats nearest the door glass and the end facing away from the car then clips in with a reassuring click.

Thanks again my fellow s'netters