Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

EVO 5 / 6

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2006, 10:49 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EVO 5 / 6

These have been holding their money for the last 3-4 years.. slow depreciation @ around 1-1,500 per year... still hankering after one of these..

Anyone have any thoughts on them - circa 8-10k or 11-13k look like for a 6 with good paperwork and some nice bits.

Would the main dealers touch the imports / older cars for servicing?
Old 06 August 2006, 10:54 PM
mattbeef
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

id personally use an indpendant for servicing as they will have seen more of them than the dealers
Old 07 August 2006, 08:59 AM
nisr227
Scooby Regular

There are a serious amount for sale at the moment on the MLR. Think its the time of the year, combined with their running costs and cost of living these days, not to mention that the 5 and 6's are really looking their age now, even though they are still looked as the best of the breeds.

My bro (mcleeve) has a really nice white evo5 (for 10.5k) for sale on the MLR for ages, he doesn't really want to sell it but but living in SW Wales means no one is willing to travel to view even though its imaculate has 380bhp, AP 6 pots, Cusco arbs, and even a leather conversion. Pity, he'll have to hold on to it longer then and keep driving the quality roads over there A lot of cars for the money, wish I had the money!

They are awesome cars, and a great alternative to a scoob.
Old 07 August 2006, 09:30 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

The dealers will gladly service the imports (unlike subaru)

Get the newest model you can afford, if you can afford a 6 then go for that over the 5.
Old 07 August 2006, 03:14 PM
v5 man
Scooby Regular

I bought a 6 a month ago after owning 4 Impreza`s in 4 years. I`d highly recommend the switch personally.

My Evo is a 1999 V reg, 50k, fsh, Cat1 + tracker, pretty immaculate for a 7 year old car too. Mine also has a Blitz exhaust, HKS lowering springs and Blitz induction kit. Its in Reims blue and has the standard OZ 17" alloys with good tyres.

(The blue ones mine, the white one is owned by Bottomfeeder)

My insurance was only £40 extra more than my previous Impreza WRX bugeye, for the year (Keith Michaels insurance) and it does roughly the same per gallon as my impreza did, except the tanks smaller on the Evo so more fill-ups needed.

I paid £9400 for mine

Cliff
Old 07 August 2006, 05:16 PM
Lust4Life
Scooby Regular

Depreciation may be low but the running costs can be very high.

My VI cost significantly more to run than my M5 but it did only lose £3k in 20,000 miles instead of £10k in 30,000

Cheers,

Phil
Old 07 August 2006, 05:21 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Food for thought. TBH I love the 5/6 shape and anything newer looks too far removed, still nice and an FQ400 would look good on the drive... but happy to opt for the older shape myself.
Actually considering importing myself...

So the 5 or the 6 guys ?

Trending Topics

Old 07 August 2006, 06:53 PM
v5 man
Scooby Regular

I had the same choice and decided on the 6. In my opinion the 6 is the one to go for over the 5 because its newer, has a sexier smoother front end, the interior looks better (blue Recaro`s and blue dials), minor changes resulting in an arguabley stronger engine, ie, more cooling channels etc.

see here............ http://www.lancerregister.com/mlr_sh...?id1=10&id2=12
Old 08 August 2006, 09:12 AM
markGT
Scooby Regular

The 6 is a great car and IMHO still the best looking Evo and probably the best to drive as well but beware of the running costs.

I used to have a Tommi 6.5 before I bought the STI PPP. Petrol wise they are the same as the Scoob (STI anyway), however the Tommi needed servicing every time you drove it . Also beware of warping brake disks as most 5 and 6 Evo's suffer from this. Mine warped its disks driving back to France and the only solution is to fit new upgraded brake callipers (very expensive). If you just replace the disks it will happen again within two thousand miles. My advice is go on the MLR forum which is superb, loads of buying guides, tests etc. Word of advice don't buy an EVO from Extreme Automobiles in Dudley, you may live to regret it!
Old 08 August 2006, 02:33 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SCOOBYD00
So the 5 or the 6 guys ?
The 6 gets my vote!

The best lOOking Evo of all. lOOk at the front end, it's trying to tell you something " 'ave it! ".
Old 08 August 2006, 07:58 PM
blot
Scooby Regular

Scoobydoo,

Been lucky enough to have owned both, little or no difference to own or drive, better to get a good 5 than a heavily used 6, either way, just make sure its been serviced.

Servicing? plenty of folk out there who are more knowlegeable than main dealers.

I used to use www.btr-prep.com at Normanton, cheaper than a dealer and way more knowledgeable as they purely work on Evo's .
Old 09 August 2006, 09:49 AM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by markGT

Also beware of warping brake disks as most 5 and 6 Evo's suffer from this. ... the only solution is to fit new upgraded brake callipers (very expensive).
Not true, the perceived warping is, in fact, usually caused by a build up of pad material on the discs, caused over time by repeated gentle brake application. A good stamp on the middle pedal every now and again makes sure you don't get the build up and a change to harder pads works wonders too.

There were a lot more 6s imported than 5s, so there is more choice.
Old 09 August 2006, 10:29 AM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

The 6 gets my vote too, still the best looking EVO made, don't rate newer ones as much, seem conservative by comparison.
Closely followed by the EVO 5 though
Old 09 August 2006, 03:41 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I had a 6 until someone decided to smash into me at the end of june.

I am now sitting on my isurance payout and can't wait to get into my next one.

Not a lot in the 5/6 debate, but I would hold out for the 6 due to the improved engine and the looks of the front.

servicing is pricey, but go privately and buy an RS that doesnt need the yawn control serviced.

Many people think the yawn control is more of a hindrance, I for one agree.

I also think the older cars seem to hold their value better than the 7/8 variants. You could argue that it is looking dated and I thin I would agree, but it is still the best looking.

I won't be buying an 8/9 as I had planned as I am holding out for the 10 which looks to be awesome to me.

There are some bargain 6s out there if you are prepared to look around. 9k!!
Old 09 August 2006, 04:15 PM
markGT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daryl
Not true, the perceived warping is, in fact, usually caused by a build up of pad material on the discs, caused over time by repeated gentle brake application. A good stamp on the middle pedal every now and again makes sure you don't get the build up and a change to harder pads works wonders too.

There were a lot more 6s imported than 5s, so there is more choice.
Without wanting to get in an argument nobody knows why the 5/6 wrap disks at an alarming rate, some people say its a design flaw and other say its due to insufficient brake cooling. Mitsubishi have replaced disks and callipers under warranty because of wrapping. If it was as simple as brake dust build up I couldn’t see Mitsubishi replacing them as it wouldn’t be their fault.
Old 10 August 2006, 10:42 AM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by markGT
If it was as simple as brake dust build up I couldn’t see Mitsubishi replacing them as it wouldn’t be their fault.
They didn't realise at first. I had my 6 for five years and in the first two years suffered from apparent warping. I had the discs skimmed, then replaced etc. Then I heard about the build-up on the discs - changed the pads for harder ones and braked more heavily every now and then and the problem went away...
Old 16 August 2006, 08:26 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Adam M
I had a 6 until someone decided to smash into me at the end of june.

I am now sitting on my isurance payout and can't wait to get into my next one.

Not a lot in the 5/6 debate, but I would hold out for the 6 due to the improved engine and the looks of the front.

servicing is pricey, but go privately and buy an RS that doesnt need the yawn control serviced.

Many people think the yawn control is more of a hindrance, I for one agree.

I also think the older cars seem to hold their value better than the 7/8 variants. You could argue that it is looking dated and I thin I would agree, but it is still the best looking.

I won't be buying an 8/9 as I had planned as I am holding out for the 10 which looks to be awesome to me.

There are some bargain 6s out there if you are prepared to look around. 9k!!
Thanks guys, tell me the 6 gets the most votes - please sumarise the diffs (looking @ the darkside www site just now however..)

Smart move then - 6 50k for 9k with good paperwork - do-able? White... hate white..... THe RS is like the stripped down sort of 'RA' if you like??