Golf TDI 150 BHP

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2006, 02:25 PM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Golf TDI 150 BHP

Hi Guys,

I am thinking of buying one of these. Does anyone know any decent forums for VW TDI's ? I spent 5 minutes on google and struggled.
Also any useful buying advice greatfully received, looking to spend 7-8k,
Cheers,
Andy

PS I have done a search and read some good threads,
Old 10 July 2006, 02:45 PM
Rabid
BANNED

Go take a look at UKMKIV's. http://www.uk-mkivs.net/

If you can bear to have a less fashionable car (not that I think the MKIV golf is fashionable but presumably someone likes them) then a BORA TDI 150 could offer a much better spec for a lot less money. Likewise there are some Seat Toledos out there that will save you 2-3K on your budget like for like.
Old 10 July 2006, 03:05 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

I, and two colleagues, have all had these as company cars and done about 300,000 miles between us over a 3-4year period (we didn't all get them at the same time)

So they've each done 100,000 +/= 10000 miles each. None have been particularly abused and mainly motorway miles

Mine has already gone back and the other two are going in the next 2 months. We've all asked for quotes to buy them from the lease company and are getting amounts of around £7000, which they say is what they will get from an auction (which is where they will go if we don't want them).

So in you budget range....

If you had asked us all what we thought at circa 80000 miles each we would all have highly recommended them.

If you asked us now, then we would all NOT recommend them quite so much for the experiences in the last 20000 miles. We've collectively had at least:
2x trip computers replaced (the thing in that panel that does mpg, mileage etc)
1x Sat Nav replaced (major hassle, still not fixed, but as the car's going back soon anyway, don't care!)
2x broken front springs
2x totally replaced front suspensions
1x turbo intercooler pipe blown off and replaced
...all at extreme expense to the lease company and hassle to us.

I guess they're just approaching their wear out phase....

OTOH, they're very quick and very good in terms of mpg for how you drive them
Old 10 July 2006, 03:56 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

Can be re-mapped up to 190 bhp (ish) too http://www.jabbasport.com/vehicle_pr...p?variantid=62
Old 10 July 2006, 04:01 PM
Rabid
BANNED

Say goodbye to your clutch with a remap. You'll need to budget for a flywheel and uprated clutch in the end if you go that route- circa £1K.
Old 10 July 2006, 04:15 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

Originally Posted by Rabid
Say goodbye to your clutch with a remap. You'll need to budget for a flywheel and uprated clutch in the end if you go that route- circa £1K.
Ouch
Old 10 July 2006, 05:35 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

'Say goodbye to your clutch with a remap. You'll need to budget for a flywheel and uprated clutch in the end if you go that route- circa £1K.'

Depends on many factors such as driving style, mileage and the remap itself, sure, go faster you wear components out but with a bit of mechanical sympathy you can do it and enjoy the extra grunt without killing the clutch in 10,000 miles.
Old 10 July 2006, 06:48 PM
Christ
Scooby Regular

Just sold mine on Sat which had done 65k and was Revo'd for the last 25k, no problems whatsoever...

Great Cars...
Old 10 July 2006, 08:05 PM
Rabid
BANNED

Originally Posted by J4CKO
'Say goodbye to your clutch with a remap. You'll need to budget for a flywheel and uprated clutch in the end if you go that route- circa £1K.'

Depends on many factors such as driving style, mileage and the remap itself, sure, go faster you wear components out but with a bit of mechanical sympathy you can do it and enjoy the extra grunt without killing the clutch in 10,000 miles.
I killed mine in 20K miles.
Old 10 July 2006, 08:12 PM
Christ
Scooby Regular

I killed mine in 20K miles.
IIRC there was a batch of cars sold with faulty clutches, they were failing
very early in life... cant remember what year cars were effected though..

Chris
Old 10 July 2006, 08:50 PM
Rabid
BANNED

Originally Posted by Christ
IIRC there was a batch of cars sold with faulty clutches, they were failing
very early in life... cant remember what year cars were effected though..

Chris
Mine was a replacement item done under warranty. The issue lies with the flywheel as well, which needs replacing.
I've seen some talk that the clutch thrust bearing and clamping springs aren't man enough either when remapped- as I'm just reporting what I've heard in this case I'm not 100% that it's accurate.

What I do know is that REVO is meant to be one of the less agressive generic remaps and that's exactly what fried my clutch. Bear in mind though I did use it hard but didn't abuse it.
Old 10 July 2006, 09:55 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A clutch isnt the end of the world anyway, just 200 quid and a pretty soul destroying afternoons work.
Old 11 July 2006, 07:01 AM
Rabid
BANNED

Originally Posted by J4CKO
A clutch isnt the end of the world anyway, just 200 quid and a pretty soul destroying afternoons work.
I think the problem is that you need to change the dual mass fly wheel as well with a part costing £400. Plus I suppose you'd uprate the clutch at the same time. Overall cost with someone else doing the work about a grand.
All this is likely to happen sooner with the PD130 engined cars BTW including Seat, Skoda etc
Old 11 July 2006, 06:33 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I've just picked up a golf gt tdi 130 today. 2002 51 Full vw service history, stack of receipts, 11 mot in VGC, 6100 notes from a dealer.

Was originally looking for a 150, I saw two and they were properly abused. If I had the time I'd have got a nice 150 in the end, but took me only an hour to locate a decent 130.

Buying advice?

Well I look through Ebay and Autotrader mostly for my cars. Always call up and have a long chat with the seller. I insist on full VW service history with a recent cambelt and MOT. Get a HPI check. I wouldn't even bother going to look if my criteria aren't met as there are loads for sale.

I'm not technically minded, but I have a good look around the car checking shutlines and paint and curbing on the wheels. Start from cold and rev it a bit for smoke. Take it for a spin and if i hear no noises I'll offer around 500 quid less than the asking, usually get it

It's the second gt tdi i've owned and the first one cost me 200 quid to run for 10 months and 10,000 miles excluding diesel and including depreciation.

Failsafe is to get an independent vehicle inspection.
Old 12 July 2006, 09:05 AM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply's guys, I think I'll go for a 150 and leave standard if I can get one at thr right price
Old 12 July 2006, 09:13 AM
Rabid
BANNED

Something to watch with all the cars equipped with climatronic are the fan resisitors. These fail and mean that the fans either run at full whack or not at all. This isn't good for a lot of reasons.

To test, whack climate on at full rate and see if the fans pulse from nothing to full speed rather than running constantly at a stable, lowish rate. if they are screwed then VW won't just sell you the appropriate resistors and associated control unit, just the entire fan setup! There are a few bodges round it but none are that good.

Also 130's might not have 'sports' suspension, even with it the cars are crap handlers, without forget any ideas of spirited driving.

Personally I'd go for a 150 every time but they are thin on the ground. Like I said consider a Bora if you aren't bothered by image and save ££££££.
Old 12 July 2006, 09:45 AM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

Thanks Rabid, I should of mentioned I just sold a Bora 115 se ! As you say the handling is dire. I want another VAG and know that Golf's are dear-ish for what they are but I fancy one !
Thanks for the tip on the fans, I read that on another post so will look out
Old 12 July 2006, 09:54 AM
Rabid
BANNED

2003 52 Reg AUDI A3 1.9 TDi 130 Quattro Sport Oakwoods Group Ltd 01622 726884 3 Doors, Manual, Hatchback, Diesel, 66,000 miles, Metallic Denim Blue, 1 Owner. Half Black Leather Sports Trim, ABS, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Alloy wheels, Climate control, Computer, Driver . . .

with the added benefit of 4WD. Up for 8995 make them an offer of 8K and see if they'll take it.