Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Evo's

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2006, 01:55 PM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evo's

Ok, starting to feel like I need to change cars.....done the Scooby (though may consider one again depending on what is out there) so I am considering an Evo.

Anyone point me in the direction of a guide to what all the differences between the models are? I understand the 320/340 bit, just not sure what the difference is for the MR/FQ.

I have a max budget of £25k and the car will be a second car in the household. Any ideas what I could get/best for the money?

Cheers
Old 23 June 2006, 02:04 PM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

MR is a varient of an FQ, Similar to a WRX having the STI treatment. Instead of an extra 40BHP, the MR difference is alloy panels, that sort of thing.
Old 23 June 2006, 02:11 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

see here.

http://www.lancer-evo.net/community/tech.php
dave
Old 23 June 2006, 02:22 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a six month old Evo IX FQ340 for £25000 on 4000 miles. It had two sets of wheels with new tyres, two exhaust systems, fuel pump upgrade, Ecutek remap, HKS boost controller/pillar/HKS boost gauge, Kenwood headunit and Infinity speakers, Ralliart mats/boot floor mat, Ralliart carbon mirrors and vortex generator, pimp tints and a few extra badges.

I was looking for an FQ300 or JDM model but stumbled upon this one and felt it was a bargain. Easier to insure a UK car and cheaper on mods as the power upgrade is less. I've since sold the HKS boost controller/pillar/gauge, mirrors/vortex, removed the badges and tints. I've bought a used JDM ECU and done an Open ECU reflash, fitted AVC-R and knocklink. Have APS induction kit to fit and further mapping to do.

It handles astonishingly well, power band is like a 2.5 Scooby with better reliability. Stock turbo is doing about 400 BHP and spools up like a TD04 on 2.0 Scooby Gearbox is a bit notchier, clutch is a bit grabbier, and it skips over drain covers a bit more than a Scooby, S-AYC rocks and it grips really well.
Old 23 June 2006, 02:35 PM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

Thanks all for the replies.....got a bit of reading to do.

Insurance quote of £700 for the FQ MR 340 (I think - still a little confused by the terminology ) so thats pretty reasonable.

John - your car sounds a beast. I would be looking to keep mine standard so would prefer a 320 or 340.

Time to hit the trader I guess.
Old 23 June 2006, 03:05 PM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

have a look on pistonheads follow the link

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/l...ter=TP&o=p&pc=

Regards

GB
Old 23 June 2006, 03:17 PM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

Thanks GB

There looks to be plenty within my price range. The only thing that I don't like is the interior. Looks pretty poor. Wasn't good on my Subaru but have got used to my Audi. Guess the performance makes up for it

Trending Topics

Old 23 June 2006, 03:31 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

yep or get a B5 S4 and tune it up and get a computer controlled active diff fitted. Then you can go evo hunting
Old 23 June 2006, 03:32 PM
craig5
Scooby Regular

the evo 9 is the 1 to go for with it's new timing-new exhaust and remap and a easy 400/400 for less than 1k
Old 23 June 2006, 03:49 PM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

Audilover - the S4 would have to be older than I would prefer (<1 year old). V. Nice car though.

craig5 - which Evo 9 specifically?

Cheers
Old 23 June 2006, 04:15 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Or, wait till next year for the Evo X Concept to become reality.... I am.
Old 23 June 2006, 04:22 PM
craig5
Scooby Regular

all of them
Old 23 June 2006, 04:29 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Ditto, any IX will do the trick. A IX GSR import can be had for £23k, add a Cat 1 alarm and locking wheelnuts and you have effectively UK spec. I was going to go this route when I saw the one I mentioned advertised - too good to miss. Made up for the ££££ I lost in a short time on the M3. That had an interior to die for, but I don't miss it.

I have to say though, the sports bikes get the better of me in a straight line and they didn't used to in the Scooby, but that had about another 80 BHP and weighed 100kg less. However, I just leave them in the corners.
Old 23 June 2006, 04:39 PM
craig5
Scooby Regular

how is it john are you controlling youself with that power or are the fingers getting itchy for more power
Old 23 June 2006, 04:50 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

It is enough for the corners - just right in the dry. I always want more though, but it would ruin the overall balance in terms of handling, reliability, cost, servicing requirements. That is when a car becomes I nightmare rather than a pleasure I reckon. With the openecu cable costing £80 landed in the UK, a 3" full system at £500, fuel pump another £80 that is about £660 for 400 BHP I suspect on the FQ320 that you could just remap it for £80, decat £50 and leave the stock HKS exhaust and fuel pump in for about 380 BHP.
Old 23 June 2006, 05:30 PM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

Thanks again all.

There looks to be a decent selection available so will have a look this weekend. I could flex my budget for the right car but as I would prefer not to buy brand new I guess I will be OK with the £25k.

I am also going to try to get a run in a new STi. May be more difficult to a used example. Won't buy new due to the depreciation.

Cheers
Old 23 June 2006, 05:52 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

STI can be had for £21k new from Motorpoint.

It is a good car in standard form.

Weedy standard turbo, small injectors and a relatively weak engine were my biggest objections as a car to modify.

Last edited by john banks; 23 June 2006 at 05:54 PM.
Old 23 June 2006, 07:00 PM
craig5
Scooby Regular

go on mlr there will be a 9gt for sale soon the best of the 9's and rarest
Old 23 June 2006, 07:05 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
STI can be had for £21k new from Motorpoint.

It is a good car in standard form.

Weedy standard turbo, small injectors and a relatively weak engine were my biggest objections as a car to modify.

I take it in your experience that the STi is not as bullet proof as the EVO engine then?
Old 23 June 2006, 07:29 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by CupraT
Ok, starting to feel like I need to change cars.....done the Scooby (though may consider one again depending on what is out there) so I am considering an Evo.

Anyone point me in the direction of a guide to what all the differences between the models are? I understand the 320/340 bit, just not sure what the difference is for the MR/FQ.

I have a max budget of £25k and the car will be a second car in the household. Any ideas what I could get/best for the money?

Cheers
The Evo is indeed an awesome machine, however it is a little synthetic in comparison to the Impreza. It lacks a lot of the Impreza character and in my opinion it is not as ultimately involving or rewarding. I was in your position about twelve months ago and sold the Scoob and bought an Evo seven with extensive mods. Whilst it was devastatingly quick and handled like a leech it all lacked a certain something. I suppose it's horses for courses but whilst the Evo is undeniably the superior car it doesn't quite pull the heart strings like the Impreza, all IMHO of course! .
http://i5.tinypic.com/15evj3l.jpg.

Maz
Old 23 June 2006, 07:48 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

The Chief, I've had three 2.5 STI engine failures. All at 440-480 BHP though.
Old 23 June 2006, 07:52 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
The Chief, I've had three 2.5 STI engine failures. All at 440-480 BHP though.

ya lucky swine - i had my big ends go on mt standard UK classic which was running 229bhp.

I've heard the clutches on EVO's are a weak point though.
are the services that expensive as well? i.e. the ones every 4.5k
Old 23 June 2006, 08:03 PM
jimi
Scooby Regular

Hi

I have had my evo 8 mr fq 320 for 6 months now.

The car is so very special if you know how to drive it you wont believe how great it is.

Go and get an evo8 you wont regret it.

JIM
Old 23 June 2006, 09:15 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by The Chief
ya lucky swine - i had my big ends go on mt standard UK classic which was running 229bhp.

I've heard the clutches on EVO's are a weak point though.
are the services that expensive as well? i.e. the ones every 4.5k
Yep, they can be if treated harshly. An upgrade to a twin plate jobbie is normally needed if you want to run big power with the odd launch. Servicing is very expensive if using main dealer budget for several hundred pounds.
Old 24 June 2006, 08:49 AM
evonorth
Scooby Regular

like said above i would go for an evo 9 gt, no ayc, 5 speed, but brilliant, easy get to 400+ bhp on ecutek, filter, and exhaust, if cannot get one get the evo 8mr, bigger turbo housing, better cams, lighter car, 6 speed, i bought the evo 8 260, now running at 380 bhp, but expensive to get there, cannot sell as i would loose to much, would get any of the two above instead, all great cars though
Old 24 June 2006, 10:13 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Clutches and Brakes are non warranty items on Evo's. The standard disks on my 8 were crap, and replaced with a set of AS Performance disks cheaply witha set of DS2500 for good measure. Servicing is at 4500 miles which although not too expensive can be a pain if you do average miles.

I liked the interior, the MR340 (as my FQ330 did) comes with Leather/Alcantera and I thought the quality of the plastics were nicer than an Impreza. Each to their own though. If it matters, the non-EU cars (Evo260) do not have isofix points.

Devastatingly quick, however I always felt I needed to be ragging the **** off it to have any fun. Coming down the local dual carriageway at 3 figures and seeing a camera parked up on a bridge convinced me to sell it.

Driving round town was hard work, the clutch is very much off/on and with the warnings about frying clutches ringing in your ears, you don't want to be riding the biting point.

If you can go for the MR as a minimum, the suspension setup is supposed to be much better, the 8 is hard, very hard.

One other plus point, the missus will drive the Subaru but wouldn't go anywhere near the Evo.

I won't say which I prefer to save turning this into a which is better discussion.
Old 24 June 2006, 10:41 AM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

Thanks again for all the replies. Nice to see that the thread has remained on track with lots of useful information.

A couple of points:-

I won't be modifying any car I buy other than adding PPP for example.

Ideally I won't buy new but the car will be no older than 12-18 months old.

I will try to get a test drive of the Evo and STi (also like the look of the Forester STi) along with a JDM Scoob. Pretty hard to form an opinion until you have been behind the wheel as it's often down to individual preferences.

John - thanks for the heads up on Motorpoint. have bought from them before in the past and had no problems. May be a problem this time as I would want to PPP the STi.

MattW - thanks for the ISOFIX detail, 'tis a consideration on any car I buy. Intereting to read your comment on the interior, helps overome to some degree one of my 'worries' of the car. Servicing is a minor 'problem' - I don't do mega miles but could do without the inconvenience of a service every 4.5k miles.

Cheers all.
Old 24 June 2006, 10:43 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by MattW
Clutches and Brakes are non warranty items on Evo's. The standard disks on my 8 were crap, and replaced with a set of AS Performance disks cheaply witha set of DS2500 for good measure. Servicing is at 4500 miles which although not too expensive can be a pain if you do average miles.

I liked the interior, the MR340 (as my FQ330 did) comes with Leather/Alcantera and I thought the quality of the plastics were nicer than an Impreza. Each to their own though. If it matters, the non-EU cars (Evo260) do not have isofix points.

Devastatingly quick, however I always felt I needed to be ragging the **** off it to have any fun. Coming down the local dual carriageway at 3 figures and seeing a camera parked up on a bridge convinced me to sell it.

Driving round town was hard work, the clutch is very much off/on and with the warnings about frying clutches ringing in your ears, you don't want to be riding the biting point.

If you can go for the MR as a minimum, the suspension setup is supposed to be much better, the 8 is hard, very hard.

One other plus point, the missus will drive the Subaru but wouldn't go anywhere near the Evo.

I won't say which I prefer to save turning this into a which is better discussion.

Come on Matt you know what they say about sitting on the fence?! Although your concise assessment makes for a similar experience to mine.
Old 24 June 2006, 10:57 AM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

I love EVOs and am sorely tempted to replace my much loved scoob with one.

The only thing that concerns me though is that almost every one that I have seen on the 2nd hand market has very low mileage for age which suggests to me a couple of things:

1.) They're hard on the wallet. (mpg, servicing)
2.) They're a bit like a fantasy, the reality never lives up to it.

Why do people get rid of their EVos so quickly?
Old 24 June 2006, 11:26 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Varboy
I love EVOs and am sorely tempted to replace my much loved scoob with one.

The only thing that concerns me though is that almost every one that I have seen on the 2nd hand market has very low mileage for age which suggests to me a couple of things:

1.) They're hard on the wallet. (mpg, servicing)
2.) They're a bit like a fantasy, the reality never lives up to it.

Why do people get rid of their EVos so quickly?
Post 20.

Quick Reply: Evo's