Audi TT

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2006, 11:43 AM
bobn3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Audi TT

Hi all,

solve a issues for you, Is the TT a girls car?

I have been thinking of buying one, a 225bhp one, but my missus says its a girls car.

Thanks
Niall
Old 16 June 2006, 11:47 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Unless you have man breasts I would avoid the TT like a case of the clap, it's a ***** car.... (and before anyone starts... no, I don't own one)
Old 16 June 2006, 11:49 AM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

Wouldnt bother, its nothing special atall unless you like its looks!
Old 16 June 2006, 11:49 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Its better built than the scoobies, has a decent enough engine, one of the best residual values on the second hand market, but yes, as soon as a bloke gets in it he looks effeminite to say the least.
Old 16 June 2006, 11:55 AM
bobn3
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks for the quick replies.

I do like the looks of the TT, it was a toss up between the TT or a 325ci! but I only see tw*ts in the BMW ;-)

I have had two scoobies and not into getting another one, the Skyline is out because it become the latest muppet mobile for boy racers :-(

Thanks
Niall
Old 16 June 2006, 11:59 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

The S3 is a better all-rounder with similar residuals and I've not seen any boy racers in them YET
Old 16 June 2006, 11:59 AM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bobn3

I have had two scoobies and not into getting another one, the Skyline is out because it become the latest muppet mobile for boy racers :-(

Thanks
Niall
Not if you buy something more top of the range .Many people say the same thing about the scoob,infact id say the scoob has more of a "muppet mobile for boy racers" image attached to it.But then im not really one for letting snobbery get in the way of car choices,lifes too short.

Trending Topics

Old 16 June 2006, 12:01 PM
Rabid
BANNED

I wouldn't say it was a 'girl's car' but they do have an unfortunate image, either as tosser mobiles that are sad and unfashionable or as effeminate.

Go and drive one and see what you think, I had use of my friends for a few weeks when he was on holiday and despite what people say about them it wasn't a bad drive at all.
His was REVO'D and was pretty quick, it handled like it was on rails as well but I'd have to say it wasn't a rewarding drive.
Visibility in them is crap as well, really hard to see the traffic lights, road signs etc.
Old 16 June 2006, 12:06 PM
bobn3
Scooby Regular

Thanks all for your comments :-)

I have booked a test drive on Saturday

Regards
Niall
Old 16 June 2006, 12:44 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I have one as the wife wanted a convertible and it was the only one I would trust her to drive since being a haldex quattro it is essentially FWD. With traction control, abs and airbags allround I was happier with her driving it than the MX5 she was sliding too often in the wet.

It is very quick thanks to an upsolut chip, feels incredibly solid and is fun to drive because it is nippy and has virtually no lag.

I am not keen on the looks but it does what it is supposed to, rerturns reasonable fuel consumption and the residuals are good.

I am selling mine now as I don't need two sports car and can now use the evo everyday.
If you want a decent 2000 low mileage convertible, let me know!

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/72364.htm
Old 16 June 2006, 12:51 PM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure about the old one, but the new one looks, at least in V6 mode like a stormer that will be faster and better composed than a standard Sti on track and road. It looks better than the old one too IMHO
Old 16 June 2006, 12:56 PM
Marky9074
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both a WRX300 and a TTR 3.2 V6 DSG.....

I would not say the TT is a tossers car or a hairdressers car. It is a 'tourer' or that is my take on it. I drive the TT when its hot, as even I have found the merit in putting the roof down, and when I have to drive a distance, as it is far more economic than the scoob.

I do though find the V6 heavy. I would not attempt to throw it around, which is second nature in the scoob. Not sure how the 225 is....

Mark
Old 16 June 2006, 01:06 PM
sgcooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Leigh
I'm not sure about the old one, but the new one looks, at least in V6 mode like a stormer that will be faster and better composed than a standard Sti on track and road. It looks better than the old one too IMHO
Very much doubt it will be faster than sti when it weighs at least the same if not more and has less power. With same haldex system as old TT it will be no drivers car and definately not bette than an sti on track. Thats not what the TT is designed for. Its a posers car.
Old 16 June 2006, 01:22 PM
Rabid
BANNED

Originally Posted by Marky9074
I have both a WRX300 and a TTR 3.2 V6 DSG.....

I would not say the TT is a tossers car or a hairdressers car. It is a 'tourer' or that is my take on it. I drive the TT when its hot, as even I have found the merit in putting the roof down, and when I have to drive a distance, as it is far more economic than the scoob.

I do though find the V6 heavy. I would not attempt to throw it around, which is second nature in the scoob. Not sure how the 225 is....

Mark
I wouldn't say it was a tossers or hairdressers car either but many people would.
What is undeniable is that a once special looking and trendy car is now rendered ordinary by familiarity and has stopped being a fashionable item.
Old 16 June 2006, 01:24 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

Mrs Sticks has one . I find it not as fast as the Scoob , but it sticks to the road like glue , A bit of a squeeze if you're tall . If buying second hand check that the dash pod works OK ,as this is a common failiure on them . Check out http://www.wak-tt.com/links/links.htm for tons of TT info

Dave
Old 16 June 2006, 01:27 PM
Rabid
BANNED

Watch out for window drop as well, my friends car suffered from it regardless of what the dealers told him they'd done.
Old 16 June 2006, 01:44 PM
bobn3
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks very very much everyone! This place again as hand out out great advice.

I'll remember all you have said and now I can make a well informed the right choose :-)

I'll let you know how the test drive went.

Have a great weekend everyone :-)
Old 16 June 2006, 01:55 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Smile

What about a 2.5 Forester XT or STI??

Bags of room, sub 6 second 0-60, watch peoples faces as the missile disappears!!

Great all rounder and doesnt attract the Muppets as often as the WRX's & STI'S.

Good luck

Alan MAC
Old 16 June 2006, 02:11 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by lightning101
The S3 is a better all-rounder with similar residuals and I've not seen any boy racers in them YET

They make nice conservatories too.
Old 16 June 2006, 02:48 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

sgcooby,

fyi the new TT does have a haldex but it is rear wheel drive biased now.

The old TT was essentially a FWD car with a clutch that drove the rear wheels via a central driveshaft when the fronts were detected to be slipping.

This means the car could go from 100:0 to a max of 50:50 whent he clutch was locked, although if the front wheels had no grip/traction, then arguably it could exert some rwd characteristics.

This means that the majority of the time the car is as safe as and handles like a fwd.

The new car still uses the haldex but the system is set up differently now. It may be predominantly rear wheel drive with only the front wheels being driven when the rears are slipping. either way it has been tinkered to make it a drivers car not a cruiser.

I do agree that what looked great and individual has become too familiar, but if you can get past that it is a beautifully screwed together, very well equipped and bloody nippy, especially with a £200 upsolute chip on the 1.8t giving 270bhp on a car that is not nose heavy.

As far as cheap convertibles go it is a great all round car.
Old 16 June 2006, 03:04 PM
Rabid
BANNED

Adam, your post reminded me that it's reckoned to be well worthwhile having the Haldex chipped. This changes the characteristics massively so those in the know reckon and make the TT a much better drivers car. Never driven one myself but £500 for something that transforms the handling has to be worth it.
Old 16 June 2006, 03:07 PM
CharlesW
Scooby Regular

Autocar tested the new Audi TT in last weeks issue. It is a completely different car. It even looks OK now. As for its dynamic capabilities, they seemed very impressed.

3.2l V6 produces 247 bhp and 236 ft lb. resulting in 5.7 sec 0 - 62 mph. Not startlingly quick, but not slow either. As for handling they reckon it is now a driver's car.

It will be interesting to read your impressions after a test drive. That is if you are driving the new car.
Old 16 June 2006, 04:10 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

A business associate of mine had a TT that was tweaked up to 330bhp and was definitely not girly. I did take the **** out of him a bit, and he finished up with a 996 GT2 'Widowmaker' the jammy git.
Old 16 June 2006, 04:26 PM
Marky9074
Scooby Regular

I guess it is how you look at it....a few years ago I would probably have said a TT was a posers car when I could not afford to buy one! Now I can I dont have the same opinion.......in fact I could afford an RS4 now, so what would that make me?

You dont buy an Audi because its fast. You buy it for the Audi experience, both in car and out of it. Have any of you been into an Audi dealer and seen what their after sales and servicing is like? They treat you like royality. I used to be on first name terms at the Subaru dealer in 1998, now after many changes, they can barely manage to identify models correctly.

Last edited by Marky9074; 16 June 2006 at 04:36 PM.
Old 16 June 2006, 04:31 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rabid
I wouldn't say it was a tossers or hairdressers car either but many people would.
What is undeniable is that a once special looking and trendy car is now rendered ordinary by familiarity and has stopped being a fashionable item.
Agreed.Looked special when launched and desirable.Not anymore,not even the attempt at sprucing it up.Old hat now and you don't look twice at them (which I think was originally the purpose and the TT was not the creation of a 'sports' car)
Old 16 June 2006, 04:38 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

They're not driver's cars, a disproportion amount of homosexual men drive them and there not that quick (unchipped). But they're brilliantly screwed together are undoubtedly a nice design and an appealing ownership proposition. My sister-in-law's buying one and I wouldn't hesitate to borrow it from her.
Old 16 June 2006, 04:44 PM
chris n`nic
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine has the new 240 (i think) Quattro sport. No rear seats..think rear strut brace. His is pushing out some silly power and tbh it looks very nice as well...4 seconds dead 0-60 ain`t to bad for a hairdresser!

Chris
Old 16 June 2006, 05:21 PM
Marky9074
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris n`nic
A friend of mine has the new 240 (i think) Quattro sport. No rear seats..think rear strut brace. His is pushing out some silly power and tbh it looks very nice as well...4 seconds dead 0-60 ain`t to bad for a hairdresser!

Chris
Quite right, and with those non adjustable Recaros in the front, only a 6' man can drive it as otherwise you cant see over the steering wheel! So cant be a womans hairdresser car!
Old 16 June 2006, 05:58 PM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

The TT is an out and out posers car.I remember a few years ago having a blast against a 3.2 with a few tweaks in a nissan pulsar, and i was left fairly surprised at how quickly the pulsar left it.The owner of the TT was fairly gobsmacked aswell.The TT is more than affordable for me now but audi brought the TT out for a certain market ,you,ve just got to decide if your in that market.
Old 16 June 2006, 06:11 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

loads of gay blokes drive them...................gay blokes also work out a lot and look after themselves.

so if you a fat ugly hetrosexual BLOKE then its not for you...poofs car, get a Scoob, a flag and a curry.

Quick Reply: Audi TT