Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Integrate SatNav ?

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2006, 10:34 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Integrate SatNav ?

Why is it when you look at buying a new car that specifying factory Navigation adds usually the best part of two grand !!!!

Now I have used a couple, the best being the one in a new Lexus GS but I think that was part of the standard spec, on a Polo a monchrome screened satnav system is 1350 quid, most of the others range from 1200 to 2000, I bought a basic Halfords stick to the dashboard Garmin one that works really well for 200 quid so I really cant see where the extra is going, perhaps if they dropped it to less than say 700 quid people might actually tick the box on cheaper cars just for the fact it is integrated, cant see any other advantage to a built in one or am I missing something.

I can see the point on up spec cars, some BMW's and the like are hard to sell without.
Old 22 May 2006, 09:43 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Supply and demand economics, I can only guess. Infuriating.

Must say I'd love built-in satnav, just because it's another thing that you don't have to worry about taking out of the car each time you leave it. Changed my OEM stereo for a face-off one, now I hardly ever listen to it as it means I have to faff about with the glovebox each time before switching it on.

I'd love to see satnav hardware become standardised so they build in the screen and buttons, and then you just choose which third party system you'd like to install.