Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Which Diesel? Mondeo TDCi 130 / Vectra CDTi 150??

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2006, 11:38 AM
Kevin Mc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which Diesel? Mondeo TDCi 130 / Vectra CDTi 150??

Looking to get a nearly new diesel in the next couple of months.

Anyone got any experience / comments of the Mondeo TDCi 130 and the (new) Vectra CDTi 150? The Mondeo seems to offer slightly more torque for less power. Does the Vectra have a better mid-range pull than the Mondeo?

Other diesels I'm considering are a Seat Toledo 2.0 TDI 140, and a Skoda Superb 2.5 V6 TDI. May even consider the 3.0 CDTi Vectra or the TDCi 155BHP Mondeo. As long as I can get 40mpg in real world driving, the performance is more important.

Are there any obvious omissions? I've not listed the Passat as I'd prefer the new shape, but can't stretch to one.
Old 15 May 2006, 12:37 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

From the road tests etc I've seen, the Vectra motor is tuned for a smooth flow of power rather than a lump of torque so mid-range is not as good as the Mondeo / VAG diesels.

There's the new Jetta which is almost Mondeo sized and cheaper than the Passat too.
Old 15 May 2006, 12:52 PM
Frosty The Snowman
Scooby Regular

I've just bought a Mundano 2.2TDCi 155Bhp and it's very good IMHO. I went for the Titanium X so I got the toys I wanted but if you want it for performance then you could go for the ST TDCi version. I'm currently getting 41mpg and my driving is mixed pretty evenly between A roads and stuck in traffic.
Old 15 May 2006, 01:15 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Personaly, If I had to buy a oil burner, I'd go for a VAG group car. Either a A4, Passat, or like mentioned above, the Jetta.

Of the Ford & Vauxpoo, well, I'd go for the Ford.
Old 15 May 2006, 01:19 PM
Rioja
Scooby Regular

Test drive an Alfa GT or, if you need 4 doors, a 156. The Gt is a 1.9 with 150Bhp/305Nm and the 156 a 2.4 5 cylinder with 175Bhp and loads of torque. Plus they actually look nice, and not like every other rep mobile! The GT was 'diesel car of the year' not so long back!

Don't believe the BS about modern Alfa reliability, they are as good as any other car on the road now, and the dealer back-up is the same as anywhere; some good, some horror stories. At least drive one, you'll be surprised.

Kev.
Old 15 May 2006, 03:57 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

A colleague got the 3.0 v6 diesel turbo Vectra for quite frankly stupidly small amounts of money, and loves it. I think it was about 12k for a 9 month old car with only a few thousand miles on it.
Old 16 May 2006, 09:50 AM
Kevin Mc
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately, the Jetta is too small. Want something with more space.

The only problem with the Mondeo, is that there are loads where I live. The neighbour has one, as does the one next to him.

Test drove a Legacy 3.0R Spec B at the weekend - would love that car, but cannot live with 23mpg on 20,000 miles per year

Back to the real world! There are huge discounts to be had on Mondeos on www.drivethedeal.com and www.broadspeed.com which makes them a lot more attractive.

Have tried to arrange some test drives - the only one I've managed to sort so far is the Seat Toledo. I've called two Vauxhall garages - one had an SRI CDTi 150 advertised on AutoTrader but it was sold. Another had 2 showing on Vauxhalls own site, but when I phoned they said they hadn't got any in!?!? I'm waiting for a Ford dealer to call back after I've filled in the details online for a test drive. Get the feeling I'll be waiting quite some time....

In my experience, car dealers and garages are always very poor when it comes to replying to online requests and emails.

So far I've been to VW, Ford, Vauxhall and Subaru dealers. The Subaru dealer was by far the best and the only one who seemed to take me seriously.

Trending Topics

Old 08 June 2006, 05:13 PM
DieselTuningUK
Scooby Newbie

Hi Kevin,

Ive just sold my 3.0V6 Vectra which was sitting at 220bhp and returning 38mpg... Dont rule the 3.0 out as it is a competant car... The 1.9 is worth a look too, as they can be taken to just short of 200bhp and 300lbft.

Andrew
Old 08 June 2006, 06:31 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that a Diesel V6 ?
Old 08 June 2006, 06:45 PM
DieselTuningUK
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Is that a Diesel V6 ?
It is mate
Old 08 June 2006, 10:28 PM
slim_boy_fat
Scooby Regular

Toyota Avensis 2.2 diesel ment to be pretty good. 175 bhp as standard.

Never driven one, just 3rd hand info from the mags/tv reports.
Old 09 June 2006, 06:53 AM
Mortywrx
Scooby Regular

I took a test drive in the 1.9 cdti vectra sri when i was looking for my current car, not the best looking inside but the seats huge you in and the engine pulls well just abit harsh. I eventually went for the one I have now, its not has economical but for the money I couldn't find better

54 plate Vectra 2.2 direct petrol sri navi

Sat nav built in, full leather plus 19" optional alloys also only had 11k miles on and got this for £12k

Darren

If you can find an elite or sri navi 3.0 cdti for good money snap it up cos these are suppose to be a beast of a car for the money, and return around 40+mpg

Last edited by Mortywrx; 09 June 2006 at 06:56 AM.
Old 09 June 2006, 08:11 AM
Kevin Mc
Scooby Regular

I bought a Skoda Superb in the end. A 6 month old "Edition 100" came up (PD 130) so I snapped that up. It has every extra going so I'm quite pleased.

Never did get to test drive the Mondeo / Vectra in the end
Old 09 June 2006, 08:45 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Nice choice. I know two people who have them, and getting them to shut up about how good the cars are is difficult
Old 09 June 2006, 09:12 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Got to say the Edition 100 looks very nice. Fully loaded and the grey leather and black wood look half decent too.

I pointed two of my friends towards the Superb, both ended up buying PD130 Comforts. Each easily gets 45-50mpg in daily running. One has run her's as a company car for the last three and a bit years and 110k miles. Besides normal servicing and tyre changes it has never seen the inside of the dealers, having been utterly reliable.
Old 09 June 2006, 09:34 AM
Kevin Mc
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I really don't know why more people aren't buying them. I could have afforded a 55 reg new shape Passat - but it would have been poverty spec. They are already becoming common - as for the Superb - I've only seen one other in the town where I live (pop. 40k).

I was amazed at the rampant badge snobbery on the last Top Gear when they put the vRS Fabia on the cool wall. I thought JD Power would have put paid to that, but obviously not.

I used to have a '04 PD130 Comfort as a company car. Had a Passat for 3 years prior to that, but preferred the size and extra bits and bobs in the Superb.

Must admit I tend to average 44mpg in mine (and the last one) - must have a heavy right foot! Did manage 52.6 on a run to Southampton the other weekend though which I was well chuffed with
Old 09 June 2006, 09:40 AM
Kuro
Scooby Regular

If it were my money I'd be looking at the Alfas or the Skodas.

Having spent a few days driving around in a Vectra diesel I hoestly say it annoyed the hell out of me.

For one thing there were far too many of them around, it seems that every man and his dog has a silver Vectra! Ergonomically it's very frusrating, you can't make proper gear changes without having the central box thing up, as there's just not enought space. Even the font on the dials was annoying!!!

On the plus side, it's fricking huge inside, also cheap, reliable, has a few toys, cheap to service...

The Alfas are in a slightly different league tbh, that's what I would go for.
Old 10 June 2006, 12:11 AM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

The Mondeo is a real driver's car, with a chassis that cannot be matched by anything else in the same class.........the 2.0 TDCi is a superb engine, and according to the major car magazines, can match any VAG diesel engine for quality and reliability. Vectra diesel is a nice car to, but not as good to drive as the Mondeo. Hope this helps a bit!
Old 10 June 2006, 10:17 AM
slim_boy_fat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kevin Mc
I was amazed at the rampant badge snobbery on the last Top Gear when they put the vRS Fabia on the cool wall. I thought JD Power would have put paid to that, but obviously not.
I fear you are very much misunderstanding what the COOL wall is!!!!

As for the Superb the only thing thats wrong with it is the name. Great cars, great value. And bloomin huge too.
Old 10 June 2006, 03:04 PM
Kevin Mc
Scooby Regular

I fear you are very much misunderstanding what the COOL wall is!!!!
It wasn't the fact of where abouts on the cool wall they put the car, moreso the comments from the audience about what was wrong with it - "oh, it's a Skoda"

Ah well, it's their loss
Old 10 June 2006, 05:31 PM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Kevin,

Historically I'm a Ford nut (still am to some extent), but I regularly use hire cars to blast down to South Wales and back, and I prefer the Vectra. The 1.9 SRi CDTi is a great drive and well kitted out. Six speed so quick up through the gears and cruises brilliantly.

I thought it was more comfortable and better finished than the Ford too.

My opinion tho.

blubs
Old 10 June 2006, 09:46 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kevin Mc
I really don't know why more people aren't buying them.
I 've owned three Skoda's and my wife still has a Fabia 1.9TDi.

Two reasons I didn't buy a Superb.

1. It felt numb and a bit soggy, I didn't enjoy driving it.
2. Too long to fit in the garage.

I bought a high spec TDCi Mondeo instead.

Cheers
Lee