Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

new evo 8 fq owner

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2006, 07:55 PM
gatty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new evo 8 fq owner

had it a couple of weeks now got to say .... what a car!

having an sti 8 ppp uk then sti spec c (THEE same car as this websites administrater)

i thought things couldent get any better than the spec c but i have got to say the evo is on a par for the fun stakes.

what a car!!!!
Old 09 May 2006, 08:08 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Well done mate! Any pics?
Old 09 May 2006, 08:11 PM
gatty
Scooby Regular

no buddy its silver and slighly slammed.

very standard to look at.
Old 09 May 2006, 08:17 PM
evonorth
Scooby Regular

Default evos

I am sure you will be very happy with your evo, i love mine, had it a year and still love every minute in it
Old 09 May 2006, 08:36 PM
gatty
Scooby Regular

which evo do you have the pleasure of owning?
Old 09 May 2006, 08:36 PM
gatty
Scooby Regular

which evo do you have the pleasure of owning?
Old 10 May 2006, 05:55 PM
jimi
Scooby Regular

Well done,you have made the right choice.

JIM

Trending Topics

Old 10 May 2006, 06:25 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is odd nothing below 3500. At 3200 RPM my (albeit tuned) Evo IX makes the same torque as my E46 M3 made at its peak of 4900 RPM.
Old 10 May 2006, 06:33 PM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Nat21
Boring as hell to drive imo... etc ...for dummys/the play station generation
Couldn't disagree more, but each to their own
Old 10 May 2006, 06:35 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

hahaha good going mate
Old 10 May 2006, 07:29 PM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

good choice, I've had my VII for nearly 2 year & never looked back (except to see scoobys dissapear)

:flame suit on:
Old 10 May 2006, 07:35 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Bloody hell!!! Is it 2 years since the scoob went mate? I'm in an Evo myself these days! At least in an evo you don't have to worry about filling the oil filter up before you change it!!!!! Or running optimax and booster!!!!!!!..Or having a **** link fitted!!!!!......LOL.LOL.
dave
Old 10 May 2006, 07:38 PM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

I think so mate, I think it'll be 2 years in june
Old 10 May 2006, 07:38 PM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MadGrip
good choice, I've had my VII for nearly 2 year & never looked back (except to see scoobys dissapear)

:flame suit on:
The truth hurts for lots of folk on here
Old 10 May 2006, 08:03 PM
Scooby Regular

I just sold an MR FQ340 because after only six weeks the thing bored me. I had an MY03 STi with TSL333 before it and when I first got the Lancer I loved it. It was smoother with similar (slightly better) performance and was so easy to drive fast BUT after six weeks it bored me. I don't care what they tell you about how it's a car for men and the Impreza is for boys etc.. I've owned both and that's bull****. The FQ isn't a drivers car, it makes crap drivers think they're great drivers because the AYC lets you push the car harder and harder but that doesn't make you a great driver. With Lancer the AYC does the driving for you but occasionally it does crazy things like suddenly go into massive understeer at 30mph on a wet roundabout.

Thing is, get both cars on the lanes and the TSL felt like the harder you pushed it, the more it rewarded you, it's raw and almost agricultural in comparison to the FQ but it's got a real punchy feel about it, yes you have to keep it buzzing but the thing just left me feeling more satisfied.
Old 10 May 2006, 10:49 PM
micared
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 365
I just sold an MR FQ340 because after only six weeks the thing bored me. I had an MY03 STi with TSL333 before it and when I first got the Lancer I loved it. It was smoother with similar (slightly better) performance and was so easy to drive fast BUT after six weeks it bored me. I don't care what they tell you about how it's a car for men and the Impreza is for boys etc.. I've owned both and that's bull****. The FQ isn't a drivers car, it makes crap drivers think they're great drivers because the AYC lets you push the car harder and harder but that doesn't make you a great driver. With Lancer the AYC does the driving for you but occasionally it does crazy things like suddenly go into massive understeer at 30mph on a wet roundabout.

Thing is, get both cars on the lanes and the TSL felt like the harder you pushed it, the more it rewarded you, it's raw and almost agricultural in comparison to the FQ but it's got a real punchy feel about it, yes you have to keep it buzzing but the thing just left me feeling more satisfied.
Yeah, after 6 weeks you got bored. So, really gave yourself a chance to get used to it then? I've had both, and at the same time for 6 months or so, still own the Evo, wouldn't dismiss the idea of another Scoob. However, the Evos' engine internals aren't made of chocolate and you don't have to retro fit an intercooler in the right place. Gearbox and wheel bearings seem to hang together significantly better also, if my warranty claim led memory serves me correctly.
Lol at understeer in the Evo....how can you be serious when comparing it with an Impreza? I dearly loved my Scoob, and was genuinely mortified to see it go, but it'd be a cold day in hell before I'd sell the Evo to buy another one.
In no way is any of this intended to be taken as a criticism of the Impreza, but for two cars which are supposedly intended to appeal to the same market, they are remarkably dissimilar. Each to his own!
Old 10 May 2006, 10:54 PM
Mr Bat
Scooby Regular

I really can't understand why people think the natural "progression" from a subaru is an Evo. When the Subaru goes, something stylish and more rewarding to drive will be replacing it, that certainly isn't an Evo.
Old 10 May 2006, 11:01 PM
micared
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Bat
I really can't understand why people think the natural "progression" from a subaru is an Evo. When the Subaru goes, something stylish and more rewarding to drive will be replacing it, that certainly isn't an Evo.
How do you know it isn't more rewarding to drive?
You'll notice I'm not getting into a discussion about the " stylish " aspect of your argument!
Old 10 May 2006, 11:04 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Nice one gatty!
I`d love an Evo.. They are ace end of... well except for the noise
Old 10 May 2006, 11:10 PM
evonorth
Scooby Regular

Default My evo

like i said had mine a year, It was a 260, now it running at 372bhp, its had the ball bearing turbo conversion, ceramic turbo elbow, bigger housing, mr cams, autronics ecu, boost controller, hard pipes, rsk pipe, spec r dump valve, proper spoiler, mr wheels, uprated fuel pump, hks induction . a few more bits aswell, love it, next stage would be to do the internals, would run at 2.0 batr of boost then , should make around 430 bhp, all money though,
3'' turbo back aps exhaust
Old 10 May 2006, 11:34 PM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by micared
Yeah, after 6 weeks you got bored. So, really gave yourself a chance to get used to it then? I've had both, and at the same time for 6 months or so, still own the Evo, wouldn't dismiss the idea of another Scoob. However, the Evos' engine internals aren't made of chocolate and you don't have to retro fit an intercooler in the right place. Gearbox and wheel bearings seem to hang together significantly better also, if my warranty claim led memory serves me correctly.
How long do I need to know something isn't right, things started well and went downhill. As for mechanical reliability, I didn't want a car with 400HP so there was no need to 'retro fit' anything and if we're talking about reliabilty, the Impreza was sold with 44k on the clock and the only work done was a rear shocker under warranty. The Lancer had 18k on the clock and was on its second clutch, which isn't covered under warranty and cost £1100 a time to put right. The gearbox was notchy as hell until the car warmed up, the seat covers were coming away from the frame at the back so you could see the foam padding from the back seat, the paint hadn't keyed to the front grille and so we had a tatty black and silver grille, the rear light unit seals were broken and lights full of condensation ... not sounding too good for Mitsubishi on the reliabilty and build quality stakes is it.

Lol at understeer in the Evo....how can you be serious when comparing it with an Impreza? I dearly loved my Scoob, and was genuinely mortified to see it go, but it'd be a cold day in hell before I'd sell the Evo to buy another one.
What model do you have? Mine was an VIII and 9.9 times out of 10 it went round corners with no drama but on rare occasions and always at very low speed the car would suddenly understeer and I mean full blown, heading for the curb like we're on ice understeer that would suddenly turn into oversteer. These type of things left me where I never quite trusted the car

In no way is any of this intended to be taken as a criticism of the Impreza, but for two cars which are supposedly intended to appeal to the same market, they are remarkably dissimilar. Each to his own!
That's what i said, two very different cars. One's a car that understeers out of the box to be safe but with a set of springs and some chassis tweeks can be made very neutral and rewarding. The other's a car with 340HP but too many electronics to make it easier to drive on the limit. Like I said, the Lancer makes even a poor driver look good (witness Clarkson in the FQ400), the Impreza isn't as easy to drive but it's far more rewarding from a drivers point of view.

Last edited by 365; 10 May 2006 at 11:59 PM.
Old 11 May 2006, 07:26 AM
micared
Scooby Regular

Hi, I have an V111 also, but the earlier one without the Bilsteins. As I understand it, the later cars are better if anything, judging by how many people change to the later suspension. If that was your experience with your Lancer, unlucky, build quality and reliability have been A1 on mine ( also 18k ). Understeer isn't a word I've used since buying it.
Horses for courses.
Old 11 May 2006, 07:51 AM
bigfilly79
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up i got a fq300 viii

i also currently own a fq300 in silver and ive owned 3 scoobys prior to the evo and i got to say this evo's rule are you a member of mlr yet mat if not you should go take a look to lancer site i am only on here because i know where a stolen scooby is sittin and the original owner for some reason hasnt yet reported it gone
Old 11 May 2006, 07:56 AM
esp ltd
Scooby Regular

I bought in an FQ330 (for my import biz) last week and sold her the next day.....in the short time i owned it i really did love it!! I am picking up a version 8 STi this morning and after driving that the Evo does seem a little more exciting even though i would probably rate the Imprezas as my favorite car on an overall basis .........then again i am driving a 330CI BMW cab at the mo so what do i know
Dave.
Old 11 May 2006, 10:14 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gatty
had it a couple of weeks now got to say .... what a car!

having an sti 8 ppp uk then sti spec c (THEE same car as this websites administrater)

i thought things couldent get any better than the spec c but i have got to say the evo is on a par for the fun stakes.

what a car!!!!
Having test driven an FQ340, before buying a Type 25, i would say that a well set up Scooby like a T25 is a far more involving drive than any Evo. Also power delivery in the T25 is far more linear. Just my view, shoot me down if you wish.
Old 11 May 2006, 10:27 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Having test driven an FQ340, before buying a Type 25, i would say that a well set up Scooby like a T25 is a far more involving drive than any Evo. Also power delivery in the T25 is far more linear. Just my view, shoot me down if you wish.
I agree, i test drove an MR340 and the driver involvement is just diminished in comparison to the STi. Depends what you want of course, an entertaining drive or just to go fast, with speed traps and cameras everywhere I know which is more useful
Old 11 May 2006, 12:52 PM
white van man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 365

365 That sums up perfectly my EVO experience.Bought a 7 with 320BHP conversion and was left feeling totally cold by it and sold it 6 or 7 weeks later.The cars ability was stunning but on my favourite lanes in a totally standard uk classic impreza I would be enjoying every minute of it, in the Evo I just got out thinking 'so what'.
Old 11 May 2006, 02:01 PM
~DrEaM~
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by white van man
365 That sums up perfectly my EVO experience.Bought a 7 with 320BHP conversion and was left feeling totally cold by it and sold it 6 or 7 weeks later.The cars ability was stunning but on my favourite lanes in a totally standard uk classic impreza I would be enjoying every minute of it, in the Evo I just got out thinking 'so what'.
had to agree..!! as many of you know i moved from a 330/330 bugeye to a EVO6 then sold that in 3weeeks cos the interior is so dated... got a 330/330 EVO7 sold that in 4weeks....(4days ago) it was too damm boring and the sound i am missing.... but even i am bias to scoob, the evos are better car and def. faster out of box with the same mods!!!

i will be another proud scooby owner again next weel!!!
Old 11 May 2006, 02:30 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ~DrEaM~
i will be another proud scooby owner again next weel!!!
once you've enjoyed scooby ownership it seems the EVO and it's cotton wool blanket esque driving dynamics are no fun

Quick Reply: new evo 8 fq owner