Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Scooby to S2000 anyone done this?

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2006, 07:39 AM
ScrappyDoo2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Scooby to S2000 anyone done this?

Thinking of the above, anyone done this, how did you find the change? I know the performance won't be so good but find the interior/open top facility far more 'special' overall...
Old 01 May 2006, 09:24 AM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Standby for a reply from Saxo Boy.. He went from a mildly modded MY99 UK Scoob to an S2k and dont think he's looked back since.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 01 May 2006, 11:44 AM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

I had a good look at a 55 plate S2000GT (GT = with hard top) recently. Lovely cars, although I didn't get to drive as I was only window shopping . One of the niggles which was pointed out by Evo Mag is the lack of steering wheel adjustment. They are set rather low. So if you are over 6ft you may find them a little cramped.
However, as I am under 6ft I will seriously considering one of these in the future. Nurburgring blue looks best IMO.

There's a guy on here who swapped his blobeye STi for one about a year ago now. He goes by the name of Steve777 if you want to do a search!

Nick
Old 01 May 2006, 11:46 AM
Richard_P
Scooby Regular

Ye I fancy an s2000 if I don't buy a flat.

I tried sitting in one and it didn't feel great (6ft 4) I could probably get used to it though
Old 01 May 2006, 12:27 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Yes its S2000 "post" season now

I have gone from an STi V5 to an S2000

Kenny (Saxo Boy) will be able to elaborate more and will be along shortly im sure (even though he's on hols )

Once you get used to it its bloody amazing, but its the hardest thing to go from something with buckets of torque, to something with not much. It is very quick though and will keep up with a lightly modded classic. Steering is razor sharp and they aren't that bad in the wet - but it needs a LOT of respect. Hit VTEC on a road with the wrong camber and the back will step out quicker than you can react

Image is great, really cheap to run too.

Ive just had mine Unichiped and it really goes well now - can get the back to power out in the dry if I try hard enough!

Interior is a different level of class. Driving with the hardtop on feel like youre in a racing car. Love it!

Get some Mugen bits on it

MB
Old 01 May 2006, 01:31 PM
Richard_P
Scooby Regular

Has anyone tall got one and find it ok to use?

I really fancy some top down motoring this summer Guess I'm not the only one!
Old 01 May 2006, 01:48 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

I know my 6" 4 mate struggles to get his knees under the dash on the passenger side. Kenny is quite tall so may be able to comment. Im 5" 11 and its a perfect fit.

If you're a fat bugger you may well struggle - seats are a tight fit!

MB

Trending Topics

Old 01 May 2006, 04:59 PM
NorthDave
Scooby Regular

I'm tall (6'4"), fat and claustrophobic and there is no way i could own one. Sat in one at the dealers and it took me 5 minutes to get in and out.

If I was half the size I'd have one tomorrow.

Cheers

Dave
Old 01 May 2006, 05:29 PM
John57
Scooby Regular

I had an S2000 up to a year ago .....

I sold it because we couldn't quantify having 2 convertibles in the drive (others a TVR) and we needed at least one 'sensible' car so got a 54 plate Scooby WRX PPP Wagon.

The S2000 is IMO far more involving to drive than a Scooby and I would have mine back tomorrow - but not at the cost of either the Scooby or the TVR. It's not our current cars are bad at all - just that I miss the fact the fact the S2000 is a true jump in and go car which is soooo easy to drive (despite what many say). Quick or slow it is an easy car to drive.... and no, I never had a problem in the wet. It isn't 4WD so won't be like a Scooby but then it is not intended to be!

You can thrash the S2000 or drive it gently. You feel far more at one with the car than in a standard Scooby - it depends what you want. My Scooby does exactly what I expected - and wanted - it to do so I am not disappointed (and please do not feel I do not rate it as I very much do).

Speed wise always seems to result in an argument on forums - incl this one - I personally didn't find the S2000 felt that quick, but in actual fact it is quicker than it feels.

I found it adequate, but think that is much to do with the nature of the power delivery. It is a hoot on B roads and once on the move. An S2000 is about the same to 100mph as my Scooby - or at least it feels that way and the stats back that up; one is 14 to 100 (WRX) and the other 14.5 (S2000) .... it's just the way one does it is different to the other. To my mind the Scooby feels quicker but handles worse - which is what I expected.

I would love to get another S2000 and sold mine too soon having been seduced by the sound of a TVR. The TVR has been 100% OK and is much quicker but is just not the sort of car I can use every day whereas the S2000 was totally user friendly.

As compared to a Scooby they are just so different but an excellent car in their own right which IMO look really good. They are a practical everyday car and I used mine through the winter without any issues. The build quality and reliability are superb ..... you just need to realise it is not a Scooby and it's pointless to try and compare in real terms.

FWIW I am 16 st and 6'1 + had no problem in the S2000 - it was tight but very comfortable and for me almost perfect. It has a brilliant driving position. Any bigger though and I would have had an issue with the steering wheel which doesn't adjust.

As for the hard top - I had one but hardly used it ..... I prefer the car with just the soft top and wouldn't buy another with hard top; IMO a waste of money for me! You have no option of just popping the roof down in the middle of winter or when you get a gap in the weather which caught me out with the hard top on a few times so never again....

Last edited by John57; 01 May 2006 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01 May 2006, 05:51 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I´ll not say too much just now because I´m a) on holiday and b) I don´t trust this internet terminal enough to actually post my 10 minute speel. Suffice to say as much as I loved my impreza I think the S2000 is a far more enjoyable car.

I do miss that punchy feeling you get with the turbo and the fact you can put power down pretty much all the time but that is more than offset by the fact you have to ´drive´ the s2000 which demands you work the engine well and time when and how much throttle you can open up. It´s so much more rewarding. I´ll probably type more later. Just remember they are too different cars and deliver in different ways. YOu can´t directly compare them really.
Old 01 May 2006, 06:17 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

There's a guy on here who swapped his blobeye STi for one about a year ago now. He goes by the name of Steve777 if you want to do a search!
Yes I have done this very change

I have absolutely no complaints about either car except for

Sti - Stupid Insurance, awful consumption and terrible residuals

The sti PP was a superb drive across company and i have no regrets about owning one (Well 4 scoobs infact) but just fancied a change. I wanted something more like a track car (Something that most Scoobies definately aren't. And don't comment on this if all you've driven round a track is a scoob either )

The S2000 is a great car to drive and even though I am 6'1" I have no problem with what room there is and the steering wheel height isn't really a problem to me but I would agree it would be nice if you could move it up and down. The standard brakes on the S2000 are far far superior to the Scoob

That said I still think each car is great but are just about different things

Hope this helps

Steve
Old 01 May 2006, 06:25 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

I'm 6 foot and find the S2000 position fine. I always used to have the wheel right down on my scoob anyway, i hate high steering wheels.

It's pretty slow in a straight line, up to about 80 anyway, but on track I could steam up behind STIs, cos they cant go round the corners as fast.

I miss the scooby burble, but think thats about all. On my second S2000 now
Old 02 May 2006, 10:39 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Ok, I said I´d type more so here goes:

First of all you have to appreciate these are two different cars designed to totally different briefs. In performance terms and ignoring 4wd launches the S2000 is faster standard than a classic, bug or blobeye. I was recently pulling past a blobeye sti (albeit very slowly) but I have an exhaust (so did he mind). I´d say out the box when rolling the s2000 is as fast as a new shape sti and only fractionally slower than a P1 old sti on the move.

The way the performance is delivered is totally different though and this is where some people can fall out with the s2k. The scooby gives a nice big shove and lets you know you are going quick and the s2000 cannot do that, ever! My MY99 felt massively quicker than my s2000 and yet the honda traps 1.5mph faster at crail and almost matched its time despite a slower 60ft time. They are more than quick enough if you drive them 100% but pleasingly I find them more than quick enough for tottering around. I keep meaning to film and time a 0 to 100mph run using a self imposed 6000rpm limit thereby not engaging vtec. I think it would be surprisingly brisk.

The scooby is obviously more practical but I have to say I´ve found the S2000 to be perfectly reasonable in this department and is ideal for me and my girlfriend. The driving position is also the best of any car I´ve driven and I´m 6 foot on the button. The most enjoyable aspect of the S2000 is the way it makes you feel when you push it hard through a nice road with the roof down. The noise, the feel of the gearchange, the way you instinctively screw the nuts of it to get the performance and the way she tucks her nose into the bends and starts to steer from the rear or plain old slide is sooooo much fun. The scooby never gave that feeling. In the scooby is was more of a ham fisted afair but you usually came out the other end shaking with disbelief at how you went round those corners! Make no bones about it the scooby is faster across most british b roads in most hands but in the right hands the s2000 can be the more able machine.

I miss the turbo delivery of the scooby and the 4wd but I love the peaky engine of the honda, the whole package of the car and the fact its rear wheel drive.

The honda is also much cheaper to run and gets better economy if you care about such a thing. In short its a more special car and is better compared to a P1 sort of car IMHO. Let me know if you want any more info.
Old 02 May 2006, 10:42 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Yeah, what he said

MB
Old 02 May 2006, 10:50 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

A while back I'd pretty much decided on an S2 Elise but the S2000's still on the radar. The talk of everday useability really appeals and I loved the H22aVTEC in my old gen4 JDMPrelude. I like the looks of the S2000, the build quality and the image. Seriously tempted when the RA leaves the stage.
Old 02 May 2006, 10:56 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

They make a nice sound with a zorst too:

http://www.sidtech.co.uk/vu/S2000_Fun_Short.wmv

(Yes i know i was bouncing it on the limiter i was trying to get it to pop pop crackle. It does it all the time except when filming... doh.)
Old 02 May 2006, 10:56 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

See id like an S2 as well, but its just not as practical (or as reliable it seems?)

You never hear of an S roof leaking, and they generally dont go wrong! I had a straight line to "ahem" speed with an S2 and had a chat with the guy after, and it was totally neck and neck (before mine was modded) It will outperfrom the S in the handling stakes but not much else IMO. It is a compromise though, elec windows / roof etc do add weight!

I do have an Exige to cross off my list though

MB
Old 02 May 2006, 11:08 PM
Fizz
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL at Sidhead... you not caught me yet boy
Old 02 May 2006, 11:17 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fizz
hahaha do you think thats a chalange

cars sounding good Andy
Old 03 May 2006, 12:56 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fizz
This ones only been on a few laps of silverstone... i feel sorry for it... hopefully have available cash for some fun later in the year!
Old 03 May 2006, 10:07 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

S2000 is an absolute joy. Steering, handling, gearbox and engine are all wonderful. Interiors are well built - particularly 02 onwards.

Have no interest in driving the scoob when the sun is out.

Best to try a few out to see the differences between the MYs. IIRC Pre 02, 02+, 04+.
Old 03 May 2006, 10:11 AM
Gav
Scooby Regular

What exzaust do you have on that SidHead?? Sounds awesome

Also whats the boot size like? Anyone got any photees???

gav..
Old 03 May 2006, 10:18 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobygav555
What exzaust do you have on that SidHead?? Sounds awesome

Also whats the boot size like? Anyone got any photees???

gav..
It's an Invidia exhaust, with a T1-R "testpipe" decat. The exhaust was really really headache inducing without the decat - now its just mad

I'll take some pics tonite!
Old 03 May 2006, 10:48 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Kenny,

i think you are way off stating that the straightline performance of the S2k is similar or near to a P1.

Not in a million years.

Just to clarify, we have had an S2kgt passed around the family for a few years. first my dads, then mine, now my sisters.

I had it at the same time as my 22B so am aware of the relative performance.

No way is the answer, I think you have rose tinted goggles on.

I hate to say it guys, but if you are tall and want a half way house, consider the 1.8T TT. I am running one of those now alongside an evo 6, and I have to say it is difficult to choose what to drive. The TT inside is a great palce to be, is far more adjustable for drivers. Has a much nicer cabin, and in £200 chipped form is around the 270bhp with a serious turbo kick to boot. Point to point it would leave the S2k for dead.

That said the S2K is a more rewarding drive than all the other cars mentioned here.

For sheer speed, and fun, with winter practicality and space and toys and interior styling, the TT is streets ahead. The point and squirt factor, does make it great fun, but make no mistake, even the quattro is FWD unless the front wheels slip.
Old 03 May 2006, 11:03 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Boot

Interior

MB
Old 03 May 2006, 11:12 AM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

is the S2000 a group 20 insurance?
Old 03 May 2006, 11:27 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ray_li
is the S2000 a group 20 insurance?
I thought so, but it came up as 19 when i was looking at something the other day, bit rubbish.

Plump for an MY04 if you can as they are far more stable on B roads than the older ones (i've had both). Also has bettererer bumpers, wheels exhausts, and LED rear lights (IMHO, all subjective I know - partly why i upgraded tho).
Old 03 May 2006, 11:27 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Mark: your CD changer is on the oposite side to mine! You'd think they'd do them all the same.
Old 03 May 2006, 11:44 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

MY00 is the "mans" version

MB
Old 03 May 2006, 11:54 AM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Cant see the pics

eddited to add i can now

hmmmmm no golf club going in there then

Quick Reply: Scooby to S2000 anyone done this?