Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

tvr to close

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2006, 01:31 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy tvr to close

just read newspaper saying blackpool base is to shut in september-real shame lovely cars
martin
Old 25 April 2006, 01:42 PM
Deano1983
Scooby Regular

So no more TVR's?!?!?!
Old 25 April 2006, 01:46 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GOOD!!!!

The quicker that crap car manufacturers fold, the better for the rest of us ...

Bye, Bye Trevor!!

You sounded good, looked good, but didn't go at all!!!

Pete
Old 25 April 2006, 01:48 PM
Deano1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
GOOD!!!!

Bye, Bye Trevor!!

Pete
GOOD!?!?!? Are you mad???

The main problem was there reliability, but thats when used everyday, they were for track use really, people who bought them for everyday use were just kidding themselves, but its a shame to see them go, the noise they made was beautiful
Old 25 April 2006, 01:54 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Did the Russian child fleece it or get his fingers burnt?
Old 25 April 2006, 01:57 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Local news says that they will continue manufacturing, just not in Blackpool, possibly not in the UK
Old 25 April 2006, 02:05 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

According to Pistonheads it's just the Blackpool factory which is to close, not the company as a whole. Their lease is up in a few months time and if truth be told, it was never the most suitable place to build a car of any description. I'd expect to see basic assembly moved to a new factory in the UK to retain the Brit status, but many parts (such as engine building) to be moved into cheaper labour markets elsewhere. I had the opportunity to tour the factory a few years back, and it was a credit to the ability of the workers there that they managed to produce such wonderful cars in that environment. Sales have slumped recently I think because they aren't the performance bargain they once were. Their prices have risen into Porsche territory, and Porsche have cheaper cars in the lower price bracket now (Boxster and Cayman) which they cannot compete with on so many levels. £24k for a Chimera was OK, but the current range IRO £50k puts them out of their depth IMO.
Originally Posted by TVR Website
Official statement on Bristol Avenue cut-backs 25 April 2006

Following TVR's announcement last year that it is to discontinue production at its Bristol Avenue factory in Blackpool by 2007, the company has brought forward its plans to coincide with the cessation of its current lease, which would otherwise require long-term renewal. TVR is to relocate some of its assembly process to a more suitable facility, the exact details of which cannot yet be released.

The cars will continue to be hand-built to customers' orders by highly skilled craftsmen using mostly proprietary components, but the impressive new technology, processes and techniques with which they'll be constructed and tested are considerably more advanced. This will mean a significant and more consistent step-up in precision, quality, reliability and durability, as well as in compliancy with international requirements.

TVRs have been built at Bristol Avenue since the 1970s, so it is regrettable that cut-backs to the local production team have been necessary. TVR wishes to extend its thanks to all of its loyal staff at the factory, as well as its thoughts to all those who have had to be laid-off. The company is confident, however, that this difficult decision is the right one to secure its long-term stability and foothold within the competitive, low-volume sports car industry, as well as to continue to improve its product for the domestic and international marketplace.

The logistics arm of the business will also be modernised to improve the availability of parts and the timeframes within which they're delivered. The entire change-over has, of course, been carefully planned to minimise disruption, and all current authorised dealerships and service centres will remain completely unaffected by the move.

TVR also wishes to clarify that although slow winter sales hit the automotive industry as a whole, its sales have not slumped generally; demand has remained fairly constant for a number of years. The company remains financially stable and highly optimistic about its future.

As well as an encouragingly high level of interest at its showrooms, TVR is extremely confident in its ongoing plans: it is on schedule for achieving Euro IV emissions approval, which will enable it to sell more concertedly into Europe, and the developments for which will help with selling into the lucrative US and Middle East markets; it is exhibiting at the forthcoming Motor Show, for which it has several surprises planned; testing and production processes and component quality have all advanced markedly, and continue to do so; and a new marketing campaign is under way.

There has been an excellent reaction from the press and the public to TVR's newest and best ever models: the Sagaris coupe, the Tuscan convertible and the completely reworked Tuscan targa, all of which are now backed by a comprehensive three-year/36,000-mile warranty.

TVR is looking forward to enjoying the continued support of its customers and emphatic enthusiasts in the UK and throughout the world, as well as to attracting new ones with the positive progress of the company and its cars. TVR is also preparing for its 60th anniversary celebrations next year.

Trending Topics

Old 25 April 2006, 02:06 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

GOOD!!!!

Bye, Bye Trevor!!

Pete
Not a nice sentiment for those who are losing their jobs.
Old 25 April 2006, 04:47 PM
Daniel-S
Scooby Regular

GOOD!!!!

Bye, Bye Trevor!!

Pete
Old 25 April 2006, 04:51 PM
Deano1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daniel-S
My thoughts exactly, how can you say that about a company that have made cars that perform the way TVR do. Reliability was crap but the performance was the reason to buy one!!
Old 25 April 2006, 04:55 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daniel-S
looks like your making friends again pete.
Old 25 April 2006, 05:08 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
According to Pistonheads it's just the Blackpool factory which is to close, not the company as a whole. Their lease is up in a few months time and if truth be told, it was never the most suitable place to build a car of any description. I'd expect to see basic assembly moved to a new factory in the UK to retain the Brit status, but many parts (such as engine building) to be moved into cheaper labour markets elsewhere. I had the opportunity to tour the factory a few years back, and it was a credit to the ability of the workers there that they managed to produce such wonderful cars in that environment. Sales have slumped recently I think because they aren't the performance bargain they once were. Their prices have risen into Porsche territory, and Porsche have cheaper cars in the lower price bracket now (Boxster and Cayman) which they cannot compete with on so many levels. £24k for a Chimera was OK, but the current range IRO £50k puts them out of their depth IMO.
Shame that some production will be moved abroad, i wonder just how much this will show as a saving on the cars RRP's then. I totally agree about them being in the Porsche price bracket and to be fair the do perform well and look fantastic but to compete with them they need to have all of their ducks in a row such as build quality and reliability as well which matter to a lot of people spending that sort of cash.

Last edited by The Zohan; 25 April 2006 at 05:19 PM.
Old 25 April 2006, 05:51 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Talking

I actually had the pleasure of briefly meeting the TVR man . .Guy looked quite unremarkable, and seemed a bit of a twirp . . . .But saying that , no surprises there . As I always said only a thick Russian would get involved in the production of crap cars . . . Saying that, we did produce LADA's, so I guess it runs in the blood!

Don't worry lads! TVR is no such a great loss . .An old acquaintance of mine had a Tuscan , and he always said "Thay are unreliable, like all racing cars" . .My reply was . .Yes . .Just like the Porsche - which is also notoriously unreliable! . .Saying that . .You will surely look good awaiting recovery in a TVR . . .

Disclaimer . .Am Russian myself, so i can make fun of Russian's at leisure!
Old 25 April 2006, 05:56 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Disclaimer . .Am Russian myself, so i can make fun of Russian's at leisure!
Am not Russian myself but it's never stopped me poking fun at them
Old 25 April 2006, 05:58 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
Am not Russian myself but it's never stopped me poking fun at them
Excellent! Let's join forces!
Old 25 April 2006, 07:00 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a lot of people on here wont be sad to see them go then - wont it be great when Porsche have the sports car market all to themselves - theyre pretty common already, and looks like theyre set to become even more so
Old 25 April 2006, 07:51 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
Not a nice sentiment for those who are losing their jobs.
Ignore him, he is a w@nker
Old 25 April 2006, 07:52 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Who cares . .One is sh*te! The other one common as garden compost!:l uxhello:
Old 25 April 2006, 08:01 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Bye, Bye Trevor!!
Pete
Would that be Trevor Wilkinson - who sold the TVR business to Arthur and Martin Lilley in 1965? The Lilleys then selling to Peter Wheeler in 1981 and then Nikolai Smolenski buying it in the last couple of years?

Only 41 years out of date!
Old 25 April 2006, 08:05 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by douglasb

Only 41 years out of date!
But to senile old PSL, it just seems like yesterday.
Old 25 April 2006, 11:20 PM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

GOOD!!!!

Bye, Bye Trevor!!

Pete
***** comment from the ***** of all ******.
Old 25 April 2006, 11:28 PM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mark Miwurdz
***** comment from the ***** of all ******.
Thats a lot of ******,but not nearly enough.
Old 26 April 2006, 08:06 AM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

I used to love TVR's. That v8 noise was addictive. Did once look at buying a TVR but unless it was going to be a second car, you knew there would be reliablity problems. However, several friends had them and really enjoyed them, especially on a hot summers day, driving to the pub.

However, since the new crop of models, the ones which had the cut outs in the bonnet, or those silly looking clear plastic strips on the back, or what look like motor bike exhausts, cant help feel they have lost their way and become over priced kit cars.

However, I still feel saddness that TVR is either closing or re-locating as its another sign how England is loosing its soul and becoming a service nation, instead of the creative one it once was.

TVR, Rover, Peugeot, certainly a bad period for car building and familes up north.

SBK
Old 26 April 2006, 08:47 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Owned one once....spent months finding the best one i could....one owner, mint history, etc, etc

Biggest pile of ****e i ever owned....build quility of a BAD kit car and realiability of.....well, i cant think of ANY other car that is expected to break down.

The fact they are still making them and people still expect them to break is a joke....trading standards should have shut them years ago for making things not fit for purpose.
Old 26 April 2006, 08:51 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

To be honest much of the image of unreliablility of TVR's comes from their own engines - of which the V8 was good, but the straight 6 prone to problems.

If TVR concentrated on just making some very cool looking cars, with all the usual details like door openers under the wing-mirrors etc - and used somebody elses engine then it could be a big plus for them.

Engine development must cost a fortune, and if you think about it most sports car brands dont develop their own engines - Zonda's use a Merc engine, Noble a Ford V6, Lotus use Toyota, a few use BMW V8's.

On pistonheads somebody fitted a Corvette 5.7 V8 into a Chimaera - maybe TVR should fit customer engines like this and just concentrate on the rest?
Old 26 April 2006, 09:19 AM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Makes sense that Pete, i think TVR's are fantastic looking, totally different to most other things on the market. They should use a BMW V8 or similar and concentrate on designing beautiful cars.

gav..
Old 26 April 2006, 09:43 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobygav555
Makes sense that Pete, i think TVR's are fantastic looking, totally different to most other things on the market. They should use a BMW V8 or similar and concentrate on designing beautiful cars.

gav..

Yes it does make sense, for years they used Ford and Rover powerplants, letting others pay for the R&D and concentrated on makeing some beautiful if flawed cars. Owning a TVR was more of a hobby and the cars hardly everyday transport.

If they had kept thier prices under those of the competition and kept their niche of the market then i recon they would not be in this situation but then again what do i know

Last edited by The Zohan; 26 April 2006 at 01:15 PM.
Old 26 April 2006, 09:45 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by corradoboy
I think that about sums it up, that and the fact that people will not tolerate poor build quality and reliability when they pay 50k for a car. The new owner, quite rightly, said quality would have to improve from the outset as it has been the bugbear of TVRs. I suspect that- with the best will in the world from the workers- it was the rather "shed-like" conditions of the Blackpool operation that was causing many of the problems, hence the move.

It's a shame though- as TVR have some great models that just seem to need a better start in life and some more spit and polish.

Ns04
Old 26 April 2006, 09:54 AM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Who thinks we should club together, buy TVR and produce some awesome cars with big block V8's for around 35k?????
Old 26 April 2006, 10:01 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

...we could call the car Ultima, or something like that!

Quick Reply: tvr to close