Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

EVO 8 vs Clio V6 vs RS4

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2006, 08:24 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EVO 8 vs Clio V6 vs RS4 vs Astra VXR

Well I have been taking advantage of the past few days off and hoped to further my experiences so have been test driving (tyre kicking ) a few cars.

I had a test drive in an EVO8 MR-340 . First off IMO stunning looks on the exterior, but the dash wasn’t to my liking and I found the dials were too small and clustered in a confusing manner for my liking. Now to the drive, well it obviously lacked the rumble of my modded Bug STi but that’s not all it lacked. I felt distant from the car, a stretch I tackled in my scoob prior to the test drive was really testing and thus rewarding, In the evo though I felt that the car was taking my raw initial input then doing all the work for me. The evo was the faster car through the corners, but I didn’t feel as if that was any result of my actions. Subsequently I feel that I’d rather be a fraction of a second slower but know I did the work and feel a reward for my skill. However this is by no stretch of the imagination a bad thing about the car, its technology is great but not for my needs it’s maybe just too good at what it does. For a lazy driver, less capable or just someone looking to go round corners fast moderately safely then the evo is the car to go for, I however would be less inclined to switch brand bar the greater potential that the evo engine has out the wrapper .

Then I had a drive in a Clio V6 . This car disappointed me, despite my lack of expectations. It’s not the most accommodating cabin if your 6’3 and above . The car under steered and I was never sure it was going to react to the inputs I was frantically feeding it. This car was returned post haste to the dealer

I managed to get the keys to a new RS4 . What a car, plush interior, stunning, subtle yet aggressive, looks, lovely seats and dash, cracking engine, nice exhaust tone and plenty of grip available. This car ticks nearly all the buttons . The interior is what you expect of a German Exec brand, leather, comfy and modern, shaming the scoob in every department. The engine had lots of torque and the chassis was nimble. I enjoyed this car more than its bigger brother the RS6. In comparison to the scoob, it was much more adaptable to cruising, when you wound it up though i felt the audi was approaching it's limits rather quickly, the scoob is the more understanding car when the revs are up and the heart is punding and on the limit i would definatly want to be in the japanese car! I could see this car being a potential replacement for the scoob down the line (couple of years yet ) and me having no grievances with it

Had a test drive in the Astra VXR today. Well from discussions with people on this bbs regarding this car, i wanted to hate it , but i couldn't . What a mental little car, I like it's styling and the one i had had the optional 19" wheels which really set it off IMO. The car went well and handled well too, there was a small tendency for torque steer but no where near the level i was expecting for 240 through the fronts and undertseer wasn't a major issue either. I would be inclined to add a stiffer ARB on the rear, but thats just being picky . The engine pulled well, the anchors stopped it well, the interior was nice (for a vauxhall) and i was pushed to find major grievances with it, maybe one was the driver seat could have been a little lower but i'm tall. I would not be as eager to load much more power through the chassis, as i would with the scoob, but it is already a well rounded hot hatch that can cruise or spin through rubber all on the touch of a pedal .

Tomorrow and Wednesday I hope to have had a spun in a 350z and RX8 so if you care what I think ( probably not ) then stay tuned, else have a good day

Last edited by alloy; 26 April 2006 at 01:49 PM.
Old 24 April 2006, 08:59 PM
furrydice79
Scooby Regular

nice reviews andy
look forward to the 350z review, shame you cnt get a test drive in a HKS'd up 350z..
Old 24 April 2006, 09:06 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

well done mate, to get testdrives in these cars. i would imagine you will enjoy the 350 z as my mate has one and cant fault it. i take it you dont fancy the a3 3.2 audi?
Old 24 April 2006, 09:06 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Like your style billy

Oh well, got nowt else to do, so might as well have adrive of some other marques. Just came to me Astra VXR should be exploited too
Old 24 April 2006, 09:07 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob r
i take it you dont fancy the a3 3.2 audi?
dont tell the dealerships but i dont fancy any of them , just testing the water
Old 24 April 2006, 09:08 PM
Scoob+Bike=Fun
Scooby Regular

Look forward to hearing it too, I know what you mean about the evo, lacks real feedback for me, and I agree, I LOVE the new RS4, I can see one joining the fleet in the future.
Old 24 April 2006, 09:19 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Alloy, when you say the RS4 reaches its limits easier, what do you mean exactly? Grip, feedback etc?

Its not going to handle aswell as a scoob/evo, it does weigh over 1700kg. Anyway mine arrives in June and I can't wait!

If you are in test drive mood, I'd recommend trying a 997s and a Noble M400. Great fun!

Trending Topics

Old 24 April 2006, 09:59 PM
furrydice79
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
Alloy, when you say the RS4 reaches its limits easier, what do you mean exactly? Grip, feedback etc?

Its not going to handle aswell as a scoob/evo, it does weigh over 1700kg. Anyway mine arrives in June and I can't wait!

If you are in test drive mood, I'd recommend trying a 997s and a Noble M400. Great fun!
you must be like a lil kid eagerly awaiting christmas. RS4 you lucky boy!!
Old 24 April 2006, 11:05 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deep Singh

I mean that it just felt less confident when the steaks were higher. Dont get me wrong it is a capable car but in comparsion to the scoob, where when its wound up you are able to battle through each and every corner with relative ease. I found that it was less willing to soldier on and after a couple i was less inclined to make it. I think it's just a mature car and what it lacks in its ability to be thrashed it makes up for in interior and overall build. You are a lucky man to be owning one and may i compliment you on your choice

I'm not really of an age to be able to blag a 997 but i'm gonna try for a 996. I've driven the C4S, uncle has one and its a great car, wouldn't mind some rwd action though

Noble dealerships are few and far between as well
Old 25 April 2006, 08:07 AM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alloy
I mean that it just felt less confident when the steaks were higher. Dont get me wrong it is a capable car but in comparsion to the scoob, where when its wound up you are able to battle through each and every corner with relative ease.

Are you sure you wern't just travelling faster in the RS4, therefore pushing your own ability and experience? I would guess that more time spent in the RS4, getting used to its balance and handling, would allow you to drive it more confidently and achieve faster average speeds than your scoob.
Old 25 April 2006, 10:48 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 645
Are you sure you wern't just travelling faster in the RS4, therefore pushing your own ability and experience? I would guess that more time spent in the RS4, getting used to its balance and handling, would allow you to drive it more confidently and achieve faster average speeds than your scoob.
possibly, it is a heavier car and the steering was heavier too. A 20min drive in it isn't enough time but allowed me to get a feel and this is how it brushed off on me. I'd argue the STi (circa 350bhp) is as quick as the rs4 when it gets narrow and there are a few bends too. Top end though the RS4 has got it, that V8 is awesome
Old 25 April 2006, 12:38 PM
Scooby Regular

Okay, but what STI is 350bhp? Yours? So it's modded then, which is cool, but for a level playing field, mod the RS4! I think we should stick to stock models for a fair comparison, which is what your post was about. I'm sure some folk on here can mod pretty much anything to keep up with an RS4, given enough money!! Let's face it, you could eliminate most if not all of the objections you had for each car with a few choice mods, but that's not the point. Anyway, who on here would mod a new RS4? I'm not that brave!!

Last edited by 645; 25 April 2006 at 12:41 PM.
Old 25 April 2006, 12:51 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 645
Okay, but what STI is 350bhp? Yours? So it's modded then, which is cool, but for a level playing field, mod the RS4! I think we should stick to stock models for a fair comparison, which is what your post was about. I'm sure some folk on here can mod pretty much anything to keep up with an RS4, given enough money!! Let's face it, you could eliminate most if not all of the objections you had for each car with a few choice mods, but that's not the point. Anyway, who on here would mod a new RS4? I'm not that brave!!
I think if you read the initial post you will see i state modded Bug STi . I agree that comparison of stock vehicles is more comprehensive, but i dont have a stock scoob to compare it to. I think it's still a fair comparison in a differnt light, being punch for pound. My modded STi is a fraction of the price of the RS4 and will out perform it in some areas, but be annihilated in others. All dependent on what you want from your car and how you want your car to feel
Old 25 April 2006, 03:21 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Looking forward to your review on the 350z, I quite fancy one next, but its not going to stay standard If I have one.
Old 25 April 2006, 04:13 PM
turboDean
Scooby Regular

Agree with your review of the V6 clio, i've driven a phase 1 and 2 model, the phase 2 in much better than the phase 1, but still not up to much and they break easily.
Old 25 April 2006, 05:42 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks Alloy I think your observations are spot on.Yes I can't fecking wait until June. Its phantom black like this one http://www.rs246.com/index.php?name=...wtopic&t=53406
Old 25 April 2006, 05:51 PM
Gav
Scooby Regular

The RS4's a truely stunning ca in every way
Old 25 April 2006, 06:11 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

Had a look at an RS4 when I was picking up my RS6 from the stealer at the weekend. Black is definitely the best colour, really brings out the arches, and the wheels are a work of art and pick the car out immediately on sight.

Still prefer my six though
Old 25 April 2006, 08:42 PM
sulli
Scooby Regular

Great reviews, and great blag.
So what is your ploy for getting the test drives, or is it just walk in and ask for one?
I remember taking out a P1 about 6 yrs ago, had an Astra Gsi at the time and had to make up a quick cover story (inheritance), before taking it up to firghtening speeds
Old 25 April 2006, 08:43 PM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alloy
I think if you read the initial post you will see i state modded Bug STi .
Sorry mate - didn't spot that! Anyway, I still think comparing modded cars to non-modded cars is a tad academic.
Old 26 April 2006, 10:01 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sulli
Great reviews, and great blag.
So what is your ploy for getting the test drives, or is it just walk in and ask for one?
Just got the gift of the gab . I turn up in the scoob, semi smart dress and just browse about and pay no attention to the salesman let him do all the work, then start talking about what i find great about the scoob, soon enough he'll be giving you some keys to take it for a spin and come to your own conclusions .

645- I agree, however as stated not the base for which i have access to compare with
Old 26 April 2006, 12:18 PM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

Very well done agent WD-40.........Another mission accomplished

Make sure you do take the 350z for a spin but I think you'd be wasting your time with the RX-8.......apart from being rear-wheel drive I think you'd be better trying a single turboed RX-7.....

I totally agree with you on the RS4 also.......it's a car i'd like to get when i'm a bit older and have the more refined power instead of the raw bhp we have at the moment.

Keep the good work up and i've got to review an RX-7 meet I was undercover at last week for you.......(next time you should come )

Adios patch
Old 26 April 2006, 02:13 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

nice one tripple

VXR update in first post
Old 26 April 2006, 02:17 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

I think the vxr looks dated aswell and the silver centre console looks tacky. I would buy one if it wasnt for those points. Oh and the vauxhall badge, and depreciation.
Old 26 April 2006, 03:24 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't the new RS4 non-turboed, so modding it costs silly money?
Old 26 April 2006, 03:28 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Isn't the new RS4 non-turboed, so modding it costs silly money?
yep 4.2 V8, great engine but as you say i wouldn't fancy modding it, would be big money involved i presume
Old 26 April 2006, 04:38 PM
compshack
Scooby Regular

Yes both the RS4 and the M3 are naturally asprerated cars. I was under the same illusion when I first drove a M3 "feeling" that it was not as fast as either the STI or the Evo that I previously owned, I was mistaken.

As was said in a previous post, you are not going to get the full benifit of a car after a 20min test drive. I have had my M3 CS maybe 3 months now and am finally getting the full performance out of it. One reason being the road conditions, and the other is you take it a bit easier when the car costs £40k +.

I have had all turbo charged cars up until the m3 and it does require a differant driving style, the power is higher up in the rev range and is very linear meaning that it doesn't feel as fast lower down until you look at the speedo. If you want a car for speed go for the Aerial Atom, which will out perform almost anything, but not so good on a monday morning in the rain going to work.

Sti's are cheap per performance but as you've seen the build quality is poor in comparison to the Audi. If you can afford it go for the Audi, or test drive an M3 CS or wait for the new M3 V8 which by all accounts will out shadow the Audi. I don't think many people reading this will be able to drive either the RS4 or the M3 CS to the limits, I'm sure I can't.
Just how much power do you need?
Old 26 April 2006, 04:40 PM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

Just how much power do you need?
A lot
Old 26 April 2006, 04:48 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

I've had a E46 M3 and to be honest i never felt confident in it, and as you say the power is very linear, i much prefer the power band of a turbo car more exponential, lets you know that there is some power there
Old 26 April 2006, 07:14 PM
compshack
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tripple'O G
A lot
Power is nothing without control

alloy is it that with a powerful rwd drive car you wanted the "anybody can drive" abilities of a AWD car, lol.
Funny I feel more confidence with the M3 than I did with either the Sti or the Evo. The chassis is so well balanced and the cornering abilities are phenomenal.

Quick Reply: EVO 8 vs Clio V6 vs RS4