Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Saw a transporter with what looked like 10+ new MG TF's on the M1 the other day_

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2006, 11:12 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Saw a transporter with what looked like 10+ new MG TF's on the M1 the other day_

I know production has ceased but are MG Rover still selling cars???
Old 21 April 2006, 11:15 AM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

They were being stripped & sold to Russia for spares

HTH
Old 21 April 2006, 01:11 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I am not surprised. There were literally thousands of new Rovers/MG's stored at the old RAF Bentwaters site in Suffolk last time I passed. A lot of the "old" MG Rover franchised dealers are now independent and flogging these for just under the list price with a private warranty. Personally I wouldn't touch one with a bargepole I have heard all sorts of rumours about "sabotage" during the final few working weeks at Longbridge. An ex-employee came in my local talking about one particular disgruntled worker who put pee in the washer bottles and hid smoked mackerel in the doors behind the trim
Old 21 April 2006, 02:30 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluto22b
An ex-employee came in my local talking about one particular disgruntled worker who put pee in the washer bottles and hid smoked mackerel in the doors behind the trim
Was that before or after they announced the closure of Rover?

I dont think Rover have ever made very good cars to be honest - cant believe they rebadged that crappy little Indian car as a 'citirover' and tried to flog them just before they went under - as if the range wasnt bad enough already, with 10year old designs just being faced-lifted once in a while
Old 21 April 2006, 02:54 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

MG.Joke badge.Might have been a circus convoy.

And yet I loved my rubbish MG Metro Turbo with green led boost guage
Old 21 April 2006, 07:56 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Once again the slag off MG/Rover starts.
I've had Scoobs, Saabs, Fiat, Ford, Mercs etc etc. Last car was a BMW 328i tourer and the wife drives a Lexus is200. All good cars, some better than others. I traded in my BMW at 95k miles and 6 yrs old for a MG ZT-T. Car was 18 months old, 20k miles with leather, all the toys etc and it only cost £8k . I was amazed at how good it is. The car is like a copy of my BMW with all the same switches/opening rear window etc. Runs very smoothly and very quiet. Only problem that rears its head on some is the old HGF which is mostly in the older cars with the K series engine. Warranty supplied with the car covers that problem if it arises.
I can only speak as I find - good car and excellent value.

Now the CityRover, I won't comment about
Old 21 April 2006, 08:04 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

In short, yes.

The "stock" of MG Rovers are being sold off - I know, because my older brother is selling them at his dealership... by the bucket-load. They sold over 100 cars last month alone. And there are some bargains to be had. One of my neighbours bought an 06 plate MG ZT-T CDTi for £16k, with all the kit on it. That would have previously cost him £23k.

Not too sure about the rumours of sabotage, as the workers were among the last to find out about the closure... and most of the stock being sold off now was out of the factory gates before it went into meltdown.

Trending Topics

Old 21 April 2006, 08:13 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

like he would have been able to smuggle in a smoked mackrel

WTF lmao

not sure how rover build the cars, but after helping build thousands of Nissan's i am fairly confident that nobody hid a fooken smoked fish in a new car
PMSL
Old 21 April 2006, 08:13 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Duck_Pond]One of my neighbours bought an 06 plate MG ZT-T CDTi for £16k, with all the kit on it. That would have previously cost him £23k./QUOTE]

Is he wired up correctly? £16k for an obsolete trashcan Just think of the depreciation It will be worth about £3.5k in 3 years. He must be off his head He could have bought a Skoda Octavia 1.9 diesel for less than that which is:

A/ Better built
b/ Looks better
c/ Has the Golf's interior
d/ Depreciation sloooooow
e/ Has a proper 3 year warranty with 3 years AA assistance (not that you would need it )

Some people
Old 21 April 2006, 08:16 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
like he would have been able to smuggle in a smoked mackrel

WTF lmao

not sure how rover build the cars, but after helping build thousands of Nissan's i am fairly confident that nobody hid a fooken smoked fish in a new car
PMSL

Well I happen to think it is quite plausible. For a start he could have stuffed a freshly sealed pack of four down his underpants and unearthed them at his will.
Old 21 April 2006, 08:24 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Duck_Pond
One of my neighbours bought an 06 plate MG ZT-T CDTi for £16k, with all the kit on it. That would have previously cost him £23k.
Is he wired up correctly? £16k for an obsolete trashcan Just think of the depreciation It will be worth about £3.5k in 3 years. He must be off his head He could have bought a Skoda Octavia 1.9 diesel for less than that which is:

A/ Better built
b/ Looks better
c/ Has the Golf's interior
d/ Depreciation sloooooow
e/ Has a proper 3 year warranty with 3 years AA assistance (not that you would need it )

Some people
I happen to drive a Skoda, and the interior of mine isn't as good as the MG ZT's. The seats are much better in the MG, and the quality of plastics and trim is also better.

a) Arguable - the ZT was recently crowned the most reliable car in the UK.
b) Doesn't. The MG ZT is one of the best looking cars around, IMO. It's aggressive. The latest Octy looks like the Superb, and apart from the vRS model, it's nothing special at all.
c) Similar to Golf's. Covered this already...
d) I expect that the people buying these already discounted cars aren't looking to sell them on just yet. Besides, the "Tourer" versions are highly sort after, in either MG or standard Rover guise.
e) Warranties vary by each manufacturer. MG dealers are selling aftermarket warranties which are just as comprehensive as the original ones.

If they are worth £3.5k in 3 years, I'll be getting one.
Old 21 April 2006, 08:33 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I am not surprised. There were literally thousands of new Rovers/MG's stored at the old RAF Bentwaters site in Suffolk last time I passed. A lot of the "old" MG Rover franchised dealers are now independent and flogging these for just under the list price with a private warranty. Personally I wouldn't touch one with a bargepole I have heard all sorts of rumours about "sabotage" during the final few working weeks at Longbridge. An ex-employee came in my local talking about one particular disgruntled worker who put pee in the washer bottles and hid smoked mackerel in the doors behind the trim
Ah, the good old British work force. Guaranteed to send this country down the pan. Look at all those strikes years ago. What did they achieve??? Fcukall, except make companies go bust, and put potential investors off. Brilliant. Never heard of German workforces going out on strike, just cos they couldn't have a rich Tea biscuit with their coffee.

I remember years ago when I started out working in a Warehouse (middle of recession so took what ever I could) and was earning a whopping £3.25 per hour. Now, Magnet ended up having a strike cos the Forklift drivers were unhappy at getting £6.00 per hour. WTF ??? These strikers were promptly sacked and a long list of people were more than happy to take their jobs.

Going off subject a bit there, but the point is that pi55ing in a water bottle, or sticking a fish inside a door trim, just makes more businesses think twice about investing in the UK.
Old 21 April 2006, 08:47 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

The more concerning tales are of disgruntled workers at places like McDonalds and Tescos... Ewww, some of the things I've heard about what workers do to edible products from those places...
Old 21 April 2006, 09:10 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Looking at a MGZS for Wifey - can get some very good cheap deals atm. You can also get all the parts, so no major problem.

Dan