Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

m3 evo? anyone!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2006, 11:28 PM
deco c
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default m3 evo? anyone!!!!

hello there..im looking to sell my sti 6 saloon and had my heart set on a p1 but for insurance reasons its not going to happen,i dont think and they are a bit on the pricey side..so now im thinking about an m3 as i got a good quote on one..i know the evo is a 3.2 with a claimed 321bhp but has anyone owned or driven one before and would it be a good move from an sti..im getting bored with my car now and fancy a change..any comments welcome..cheers..
Old 21 April 2006, 01:58 AM
FletchCSL
Scooby Regular

hi deco, havent driven an sti 6 but used to own an M3 Evo, very nice car to own, much better ownership prospect than a scooby IMHO. It will feel totally different from the scoob - very linear power delivery (but loads of it!), great straight 6 noise, will feel slower but is infact fractionally faster (can of worms opened....). its a great everyday GT. can do the ***** out stuff aswell as the relaxation.

only thing to watch out for is the double VANOS, otherwise bulletproof, oh and avoid the SMG cars
Old 21 April 2006, 02:42 AM
deco c
Scooby Regular

yeah i love the sound its awsome,ive heard a bit on the double vanos..its like the valve timing etc..is there anything that would indicate this might be failing if i go and test drive one??im in ireland so il be going to the uk to get one as they are rare over here..also most have big milage but im hoping to get one with 50-60k so i think that wouldnt be too bad..ive heard off pleanty of people that they wouldnt feel as fast but i would imagine mid range and top end it would leave the sti behind...it has to be estoril blue,best colour imo...if you think of any other usefull info let me know..

cheers for the reply mate...
Old 21 April 2006, 04:05 AM
speirsy
Scooby Regular

Hi Deco,

I currently own a jap sti v6 and had access to a m3 evo convetible for a couple of months and can say the evo felt slower in comparison. The sti feels very urgent in comparison to the evos smooth power delivery.
As fletch mentioned it's a great everyday car, but with the power on tap when needed. I also found the build quality leagues ahead of the scoob as well, no annoying rattles.
If I was getting rid of the sti tomorrow it would be a estoril blue m3 evo. Top cars.
Old 21 April 2006, 04:38 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Have had 2 M3 evo's in the hunger for some german build quality. But keep coming back to scoobs for shear fun and driver experience.

Don't get me wrong they are very nice, but really not that exciting to drive. As said previous the power delivery is extremly linear. The Germans built them sooo well with such smooth power curve, it actually took the smile away from them. The E46 M3 is a much better car IMHO. They have a nice kick to them once you get past 6K rpm. But the E36 is a little boring to drive but non the less still very quick.

Although still a fairly small car by todays standards it still feels heavy.

You can't really compare the 2, A scoob will put a far bigger smile on your face, but the build qualilty on the BMW is much nicer, although the build quality can be compromised by what is now a rather dated interior and looking a little bit worn on the leather on most M3's.

Do a HPI, there are a lot of smashed/crashed Evo's about. (321bhp RWD)

The VANOS would cost you circa 2-3K to fix, and just because one has been changed it don't mean it can't go again, I had heard tails of 3 vanos units in 10K miles. Also the rear arm bushes always fail. But about £100 to sort out. You will hear a creaking/clonking type noise from the back if these bushes are gone. Also check for oil leaks, they should be dry as a bone on the underside.

Vanos unit will sound a little clanky when you stop the engine on overrun if its a little tired.

Check the trip computer for any faults faults.

And you need a full BMW history if you want any chance of a good re-sale if you do buy one and decide its not for you.

I personally preffered the E36 328I I had previous to the M3. Cheaper to run/insure and nicer round town. (More torque), and still a fast car.

STI's and scoobs in general seem to be so cheap at the moment, and excellant value for money. Pounds per smiles, reliability, tunability, fixability, and knowledge base just don't exist with the M3.
Old 21 April 2006, 10:49 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RobEvo5
Have had 2 M3 evo's in the hunger for some german build quality. But keep coming back to scoobs for shear fun and driver experience.

Don't get me wrong they are very nice, but really not that exciting to drive. As said previous the power delivery is extremly linear. The Germans built them sooo well with such smooth power curve, it actually took the smile away from them. The E46 M3 is a much better car IMHO. They have a nice kick to them once you get past 6K rpm. But the E36 is a little boring to drive but non the less still very quick.

You can't really compare the 2, A scoob will put a far bigger smile on your face, but the build qualilty on the BMW is much nicer, although the build quality can be compromised by what is now a rather dated interior and looking a little bit worn on the leather on most M3's.

The VANOS would cost you circa 2-3K to fix, and just because one has been changed it don't mean it can't go again, I had heard tails of 3 vanos units in 10K miles. Also the rear arm bushes always fail. But about £100 to sort out. You will hear a creaking/clonking type noise from the back if these bushes are gone. Also check for oil leaks, they should be dry as a bone on the underside.

Vanos unit will sound a little clanky when you stop the engine on overrun if its a little tired.

And you need a full BMW history if you want any chance of a good re-sale if you do buy one and decide its not for you.

I personally preffered the E36 328I I had previous to the M3. Cheaper to run/insure and nicer round town. (More torque), and still a fast car.

STI's and scoobs in general seem to be so cheap at the moment, and excellant value for money. Pounds per smiles, reliability, tunability, fixability, and knowledge base just don't exist with the M3.

A very concise and accurate assessment. M3 is nice and all that but performance is nowhere near as accessible as Sti's, and crucially the scooby is an easier car to drive. Pedals on the M3 seem offset and are too close together. Also watch out for cracked manifolds and flywheel trouble (personal experience ) as well as vanos woes!

Maz
Old 21 April 2006, 11:38 PM
deco c
Scooby Regular

il defo have to go and drive one before i do anything..i just fancy a change..dont get me wrong,i still enjoy driving the scoob but i just feel the need for something different for a while..my last four cars have all been turbo charged..i dont know what to do..i just love the look and sound of the m3 and it would be a nice change to have full leather and no rattles in the car..maybe im just getting old

Trending Topics

Old 22 April 2006, 08:59 AM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by deco c
il defo have to go and drive one before i do anything..i just fancy a change..dont get me wrong,i still enjoy driving the scoob but i just feel the need for something different for a while..my last four cars have all been turbo charged..i dont know what to do..i just love the look and sound of the m3 and it would be a nice change to have full leather and no rattles in the car..maybe im just getting old
I know exactly the position you are in in, and sounds like you probably need to experience one for a while. If you go for it, then buy a good one. And be prepared to pay the extra for a good one. The residuals have hit rock bottom on them, so as long as you get a good one, you could drive it for a year and hardly loose anything if you decide to change.

p.s When I compared the M3 to a scoob, it wasn't against my current hi spec UK but just a bog standard MY99 scoob.

I am getting older, and to be honest my only critisism of a scoob is the image that comes with it. I have gone from German to Jap amny a time, and keep coming back. But no doubt I will go German again. But will probably have an Audi badge next time.

Good luck with whatever you do, but keep an open mind.
Old 22 April 2006, 11:53 AM
deco c
Scooby Regular

cheers for that rob...il defo be looking for a good one in the uk with as low miles as i can afford and obviously a fbmwsh...
Old 22 April 2006, 04:12 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

[quote=RobEvo5]Have had 2 M3 evo's in the hunger for some german build quality. But keep coming back to scoobs for shear fun and driver experience.

STI's and scoobs in general seem to be so cheap at the moment, and excellant value for money. Pounds per smiles, reliability, tunability, fixability, and knowledge base just don't exist with the M3.[/quote]

I disagree, visit my old haunt !!

www.e36coupe.com

Rob