Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

£350 Valet. Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2006, 04:57 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default £350 Valet. Worth it?

Just bought a used car, but its condition can frankly be described as 'showroom'. It's spotless.

However, I've just paid 350 notes for a full valet inside and out using some special 'industry only' (ie you can't buy it in halfrauds) Autogylm products called 'lifeshine'.

It's a multi-stage process where they mechanically buff the paint to a perfect flat finish, before then preparing it and finally some special chemical reacting sealant with a 10 year guarantee they apply after which drys like a crisp shell and protects from chips and scratches.

It also includes breathable scotchguard for all the interior leather and dash etc.

Anyone heard of / done this? Worthwhile? Too expensive? He said it doesn't need re-application for years and said you will noticeably see and feel the difference even from the cars he has in the showroom.
Old 20 April 2006, 05:10 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I think it a budget option

I was looking at getting one from supposedly the best car detailer in the world (as featured on Fifth Gear)

He has some kind of treatment for £495 which also supplies you with a complete map of your paintwork, showing how thick it is etc.

http://www.miracledetail.co.uk/auto-...reatments.html

Sadly, cars are rarely delivered with perfect paintwork, even when brand new. This can be because of storage conditions, transportation damage or poor preparation pre-delivery. Therefore, to make new car collection or delivery as special as it should be, why not get the paint fully prepared and protected beforehand? Miracle Detail New Car Preparation and Protection includes:

Paintwork measured on every panel, whether steel, aluminium, GRP, PU or carbon fibre, with full report and paint graph
24-stage natural wash with wheels arches and door shuts cleaned
Wheels cleaned with Zymol natural wheel cleaner and natural horse hair brush
Full paintwork decontamination (removes embedded contaminants)
Hand-dried using microfibre drying towels
Paintwork correction, if required. Most cars would benefit from a single stage paintwork correction, at the very least. This removes any swirl marks inadvertently introduced during dealership preparation
Zymol, Zaino, P21s or Meguiars protection to all paintwork
Tyres and exterior plastics cleaned and conditioned
Exterior windows and mirrors cleaned and polished
Water repellant treatment to all exterior windows
Interior detail and leather conditioning available at extra cost
Old 20 April 2006, 05:39 PM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

Must have big windows at their office......because they definately seen you coming at that price!
Old 20 April 2006, 05:54 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

LOL, it's not a spit and polish

It takes hours apparently. I figure if you're paying that much for a car, seems almost silly not to do it?

I have Swissol at home which i will use in future.
Old 20 April 2006, 06:06 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

£350
Your money - or it was
Old 20 April 2006, 06:17 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Stop Your making me have second thoughts now!
Old 20 April 2006, 06:28 PM
Richard_P
Scooby Regular

What car you bought?

Have to say I doubt I would unless I had a lot of spare cash!

You use your car for battering around the roads not sitting in a lounge so it's gonna get dirty again!
Old 20 April 2006, 06:31 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ed, why the HELL do you ask this AFTER you've done it?

Do you just enjoy regretting things?

EDIT - could be worse I suppose, you could have pierced your belly button

Last edited by Brendan Hughes; 20 April 2006 at 06:37 PM.
Old 20 April 2006, 06:39 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

All depends on what car it is for.........360 spider?......DB9?........e60 M5?....996 turbo?.......then worth it...

anything less, and its just plain not wworth it, just get a claybar and some zymol and it'll look good enough!!........extra cleaning may be a sign of ocd....
Old 20 April 2006, 06:40 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

it overrated crap tbh

as are all the "super guarantee" sealant kits
i told a bloke with a new BMW with "pure gaurd" this today, lucky for him he never paid for it (we all know the dealership will have him pay for it one way or another)

how can they guarantee your paint for 10 years, its madness, you will always be fobbed off if you try to claim, just like the diamondbrite sealant stuff i refused to do "yearly checks" on about 8/10 years ago

which resulted in some "big" person from jewel ultra coming down for a few words
Old 20 April 2006, 07:07 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

It's a misano red Audi RS6

basically I asked the dealer about getting the clear film fitted to stop stonechips and he said that Audi do not recommend it, instead they recommend this service, which chemically reacts to the paint and creates a 'seal' shell over the paint after it is polished to a perfect flat surface.

it's pretty much the same as was on fifth gear on Monday if anybody saw it?

I haven't actually had it done yet, I could ring up the morning and cancel if I wanted. of course it isn't going to stay perfect for more than a few miles, but the idea is that it makes future maintenance much easier, for much longer, and also help protect against fading etc. (which is always a particular problem with red cars).
Old 20 April 2006, 07:12 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

some interesting information and personal experiences here:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...UK%7CcountryGB
Old 20 April 2006, 07:15 PM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

You should have got some lifeshine off Ebay like I did... Cost me about 10 quid I think, remember you are paying for the Labour and not the products...

Worked pretty well on my car though, even though it cost me 340 quid less
Old 20 April 2006, 07:15 PM
Christ
Scooby Regular

This is the stuff:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Autoglym-LIFES...QQcmdZViewItem

Thats the only one on ebay at the moment, but theres usually quite a few kits for around the £10 - £20 mark, and you can apply it yourself, gives similar results to the "Diamondbrite" range.

Chris
Old 20 April 2006, 07:16 PM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

CLICKY
Old 20 April 2006, 07:16 PM
Christ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mn_angrybeats
You should have got some lifeshine off Ebay like I did... Cost me about 10 quid I think, remember you are paying for the Labour and not the products...

Worked pretty well on my car though, even though it cost me 340 quid less
Ah... Simultaneous Posting!

(and its not the only kit on ebay, my mistake!)
Old 20 April 2006, 07:18 PM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

Old 20 April 2006, 07:26 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

yeah the products themselves are not expensive, it's actually the valet service I am paying for really, it takes them quite a few hours as there is a multi-stage washing process, then they mechanically buff the car with a circular buffer, then clay bar, then sealant, then wax, then wheels, then glass, then interior, then scotchguard etc.

however that said, £350 does seem expensive compared to some of the others I have found on the net, usual price seems to be £250 - £300 for a full lifeshine valet, including a product kit.
Old 20 April 2006, 07:33 PM
DaveMiddleton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Edcase
yeah the products themselves are not expensive, it's actually the valet service I am paying for really, it takes them quite a few hours as there is a multi-stage washing process, then they mechanically buff the car with a circular buffer, then clay bar, then sealant, then wax, then wheels, then glass, then interior, then scotchguard etc.

however that said, £350 does seem expensive compared to some of the others I have found on the net, usual price seems to be £250 - £300 for a full lifeshine valet, including a product kit.
Think I was about £200 for Mark Underwood from Sissol to do my 993 TT about 18 months ago.
I now also have an RS6 and think it sounds a good idea cosidering it will repair paintwork first. Go for it and let us know result!
Old 20 April 2006, 07:36 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Dave - I hadn't thought of Mark, I will actually be in Plymouth next weekend (any excuse to drive the car )

I still have some Swissol stuff he sold me, but I don't believe Swissol / Mark does this 'sealant' stuff or am I wrong? Certainly sounds good.
Old 20 April 2006, 07:40 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

Hasn't Mark disappeared off the face the planet....................

mog
Old 20 April 2006, 08:18 PM
Jonathan Davies
Scooby Regular

I paid £250 for a similar thing 3 years ago. Personally I can't be arsed buffing my car (or even washing to be honest) so I thought a bit of preventative work would help. I have to say I don't really know if it made any difference!
Old 20 April 2006, 11:59 PM
big MO
Scooby Regular

What about saving some money for the mods you mentioned???
Old 21 April 2006, 08:29 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Just bought a used car, but its condition can frankly be described as 'showroom'. It's spotless.

However, I've just paid 350 notes for a full valet inside and out using some special 'industry only' (ie you can't buy it in halfrauds) Autogylm products called 'lifeshine'.

It's a multi-stage process where they mechanically buff the paint to a perfect flat finish, before then preparing it and finally some special chemical reacting sealant with a 10 year guarantee they apply after which drys like a crisp shell and protects from chips and scratches.

It also includes breathable scotchguard for all the interior leather and dash etc.

Anyone heard of / done this? Worthwhile? Too expensive? He said it doesn't need re-application for years and said you will noticeably see and feel the difference even from the cars he has in the showroom.
Total waste of money mate.

You'd be better off doing it yourself with £50 worth of products

I'll guarantee you that there is no way they can mechanically buff the paint to a perfectly flat finish without thinning the top coat in places.

I'll also guarantee you that there is no chemical application that will protect from chips and scratches. The only products that do this are Armourfend and the like - clear plastic film.

Pure hype, sorry. Ask any professional detailer and they will tell you the same thing.

Got offered something similar for £295 on the last car I bought. Told the salesman "no" way. In the end, he threw in the "kit" for free - costs about £40 to them. Its still in my garage unused. I stuck with Zymol, thank you.

Before that, wife's car had it done (more so for the interior protection with the dogs, to be honest). Externally, it looked fine on collection, but the so calle lifetime shine wore off after not that many washes. So much for never having to polish again....

Again, a decent wax works better. I would never entertain it.

When I ordered my I series, the salesman handed me the "lifetime sealant" brochure. I laughed and said don't be silly.

He agreed Enough said.

Last edited by Diablo; 21 April 2006 at 08:35 AM.
Old 21 April 2006, 09:40 AM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

then they mechanically buff the car with a circular buffer, then clay bar, then sealant, then wax, then wheels, then glass, then interior, then scotchguard etc.
I would hope they clay before buffing, if not, then the claying will leave marring behind (and the buffing may pick up particles that scratch the paint).

You would be better just getting a professional detail from someone off of detailingworld.co.uk and then using correct cleaning procedures to keep the paint in tip top condition!
Old 21 April 2006, 11:01 AM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diablo
Total waste of money mate.

You'd be better off doing it yourself with £50 worth of products

I'll guarantee you that there is no way they can mechanically buff the paint to a perfectly flat finish without thinning the top coat in places.

I'll also guarantee you that there is no chemical application that will protect from chips and scratches. The only products that do this are Armourfend and the like - clear plastic film.

Pure hype, sorry. Ask any professional detailer and they will tell you the same thing.

Got offered something similar for £295 on the last car I bought. Told the salesman "no" way. In the end, he threw in the "kit" for free - costs about £40 to them. Its still in my garage unused. I stuck with Zymol, thank you.

Before that, wife's car had it done (more so for the interior protection with the dogs, to be honest). Externally, it looked fine on collection, but the so calle lifetime shine wore off after not that many washes. So much for never having to polish again....

Again, a decent wax works better. I would never entertain it.

When I ordered my I series, the salesman handed me the "lifetime sealant" brochure. I laughed and said don't be silly.

He agreed Enough said.
Thing is, a 'normal' valet with something like Swissol will still cost between £185 and £200, and that does not include a) the products to then keep it maintained after, and b) the interior scotchguarding etc.

Simply put, I just don't have time to do it myself nowadays, and given I got such a bargain on the car (and given the car it is) I don't feel bad spending 100th of the cost of the car giving it the best.

Will let you know if its worthwhile tomorrow. I am a Swissol veteran so I have a good yardstick to measure by
Old 21 April 2006, 11:08 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I run my car through the local car wash twice a year whether it needs it or not.
Old 21 April 2006, 11:14 AM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
I run my car through the local car wash twice a year whether it needs it or not.
What is the paintwork like? I would assume fairly swirled?
Old 21 April 2006, 02:17 PM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

It's a misano red Audi RS6

basically I asked the dealer about getting the clear film fitted to stop stonechips and he said that Audi do not recommend it, instead they recommend this service, which chemically reacts to the paint and creates a 'seal' shell over the paint after it is polished to a perfect flat surface.

it's pretty much the same as was on fifth gear on Monday if anybody saw it?

I haven't actually had it done yet, I could ring up the morning and cancel if I wanted. of course it isn't going to stay perfect for more than a few miles, but the idea is that it makes future maintenance much easier, for much longer, and also help protect against fading etc. (which is always a particular problem with red cars).
He didn't recommend any of the clear film processes, because he wanted you to go for this paint procedure which is virtually pure profit for them. It's a pretty well known thing that is one of the biggest cons in the car industry. Sorry, I don't mean to make you feel bad - is it too late to cancel it?

You should join the Autopia forums and see what the guys on there think of these processes.

Please cancel it if you can, and spend a lot less money buying some decent products like Klasse, P21S etc..

Quick Reply: £350 Valet. Worth it?