Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Changing the scooby for something more comfy... but what?

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2006, 10:03 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Changing the scooby for something more comfy... but what?

I've owned an Impreza for the last six years and, as many of you probably know, I currently drive an '05 JDM STI. It's an awesome car under the right conditions and I've had some great fun with it, but my usual commute to work is just 10 miles of dual carriageway followed by a mile of particularly narrow B-road. The scooby's talents are largely wasted, and I'm starting to think I fancy something a bit more relaxed, refined and comfy.

While I'm at it, it would also be nice to no longer have to refuel every 200 miles, nor pay a four figure sum for insurance every year.

So, despite the apprehension that ditching my scooby might turn out to be a huge mistake leaving a great void in my life, this weekend I'm test driving a BMW 330D and an Audi A4 2.5 TDi. (I like torque. Torque is cool )

Can anyone suggest any other models I should be looking at? I'm not old enough for a Merc or a Jag (though I might just about manage a look at a 3.0 X-type). Maybe an IS200?

Also, my next-door neighbour works for one of the major car auction firms and has offered to show me around. Does anyone have any experience of buying a car at auction that they'd care to share?
Old 06 April 2006, 10:06 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

The Audi 2.5 Tdi engine is rubbish. The X-type is rubbish (I have one, worse economy than tuned WRX and terrible driving position). The 330d is OK, but 530d is better in my opinion.

Buying at autions is quite easy, although you'd get just as good a bargain buying privately these days. Make sure you buy something still within m'fer warranty though.
Old 06 April 2006, 10:06 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

My personal preference is a commuter car and something a bit of fun.

Both cars cost no more than 650 a year to insure.

Food for thought ??
Old 06 April 2006, 10:12 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I've looked at private sales, but you try a search on Auto Trader for a 330D between 1 and 2 years old - there aren't any. Even most of the cars at dealers are autos, and I've never driven an automatic I didn't hate. If I want manual transmission this year, I may have little choice

ps. this IS going to be the commuter car... the other side of the garage currently holds the scruffy old Nissan Primera that I do actually drive to work 3-4 days a week already, but which could well find itself being ditched in favour of a V8-engined Westfield in a year or two
Old 06 April 2006, 10:17 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Go for a 5 series, it'll be comfier (I hear the 3 series ride isn't great and not especially set up for comfort), cheaper (doesn't have the 'demand' the 3 series has), not much in it running costs, prob more reliable etc. etc. They do a V10 one too
Old 06 April 2006, 10:30 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Do at least try a 530d with an auto box, as i think they suit the car well. You'll also find it easier to shift on when you decide to get a 535d
Old 06 April 2006, 11:11 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
Do at least try a 530d with an auto box, as i think they suit the car well. You'll also find it easier to shift on when you decide to get a 535d
I hated the BMW 5-series until about 1 hour ago, when coming back from a scooby meet a brand new BMW 545i in front showed me why I shouldnt have bothered to try to race him, Ive got a 315/300 newage scoob, and this BMW left me for dead after 100mph.

Trending Topics

Old 06 April 2006, 11:22 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

535d

Its the only choice, does exactly what is says on the tin
Old 06 April 2006, 11:28 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Whats the budget?
Old 06 April 2006, 11:28 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

...but doesn't fit in my garage

Might try one anyway, though - thanks for the tip.
Old 06 April 2006, 11:32 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Budget depends largely on what I can get for my STI: 15k miles, full AST suspension kit, and apart from a couple of tiny stone chips on the bonnet, totally immaculate. Because it's a JDM car it gets the 300bhp engine, DCCD-A, HID lights, twin scroll turbo, electric mirrors, rear wash/wipe... you know the drill.
Old 06 April 2006, 11:39 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I'm doing exactly the opposite. Selling my 2004 5 series to get an MY06 STI. The BMW is a great car but not exciting enough (530i). And to be honest the interior was better in my Golf GTI. (BMW standard seats are terrible)
Old 07 April 2006, 10:12 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
I've owned an Impreza for the last six years and, as many of you probably know, I currently drive an '05 JDM STI. It's an awesome car under the right conditions and I've had some great fun with it, but my usual commute to work is just 10 miles of dual carriageway followed by a mile of particularly narrow B-road. The scooby's talents are largely wasted, and I'm starting to think I fancy something a bit more relaxed, refined and comfy.

While I'm at it, it would also be nice to no longer have to refuel every 200 miles, nor pay a four figure sum for insurance every year.

So, despite the apprehension that ditching my scooby might turn out to be a huge mistake leaving a great void in my life, this weekend I'm test driving a BMW 330D and an Audi A4 2.5 TDi. (I like torque. Torque is cool )

Can anyone suggest any other models I should be looking at? I'm not old enough for a Merc or a Jag (though I might just about manage a look at a 3.0 X-type). Maybe an IS200?

Also, my next-door neighbour works for one of the major car auction firms and has offered to show me around. Does anyone have any experience of buying a car at auction that they'd care to share?
Don't do it, chopped the Evo for 330D, and although a very good car, I felt it was bland and boring. Am doing a 100 mile round trip every day along the motorway and would rather have the scoob than the BMW.
Old 07 April 2006, 11:42 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
Don't do it, chopped the Evo for 330D, and although a very good car, I felt it was bland and boring. Am doing a 100 mile round trip every day along the motorway and would rather have the scoob than the BMW.
Must just be a case of greener grass? What does a Scoob have that a BMW doesn't on the motorway apart from more noise, worse ride and nastier interior?
Old 07 April 2006, 11:54 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
Must just be a case of greener grass? What does a Scoob have that a BMW doesn't on the motorway apart from more noise, worse ride and nastier interior?
I think the ride in the old BMW 3 series is not very good.
Old 07 April 2006, 12:45 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I ditched my Impreza for exactly your reasons above. I now have a gaping void in my life. Don't do it.
Old 07 April 2006, 03:11 PM
big MO
Scooby Regular

I ditched mine for summat special - miss the handling tho, but the uber wagon is a menace on the hiway
Old 07 April 2006, 03:27 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Keep the scoob and get a bus pass
Old 07 April 2006, 03:44 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
I ditched my Impreza for exactly your reasons above. I now have a gaping void in my life. Don't do it.
LOL

I hope you are not entirely serious.

I ditched my scoob due to a change of job. Missed the fix, and bought an Integra Type R DC02.

Then realised there was way, way, more than cars to life and am now a more balanced and happy individual.

Recently bought a 120d Sport BMW. I can honestly say it is a much better all rounder than anything I've owned, because, as Andy is appreciating, the odd time you can fully appreciate the qualities of the Impreza became fewer and fewer.

The 120 handles brilliantly, has build quality that puts the Impreza to shame, has refinement that puts the Impreza to shame and with 251 lbs ft of torque has more than enough mid range grunt to keep me happy in the performance stakes. It also fits in the garage.

And, importantly, the police never give it a second look.

It is a lovely place to sit and makes the daily commute a pleasure.

It will also hold its value better and be much cheaper to run. Sure, its an ugly ****** and indicators were extra, but hey, you can't have it all
Old 07 April 2006, 04:07 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Actually one of the things that does bother me, is that a lot of my social life does revolve around the car. Last year I attended regular scooby owners' pub meets, the annual SIDC Isle of Man trip, a 2500 mile driving tour round Europe and half a dozen shows, and enjoyed the lot.

On the other hand, that's probably still only about 25 days in the year when I'm really glad to have the Impreza, yet I'm paying for it for the other 340 as well, and that's the problem. Keeping an expensive car and polishing it every week just so I can go to owners' meets in it is a bit crazy.

That said, my garage walls are covered in scooby photos and posters, and it would look at bit odd having a German oil burner sitting in there instead

Maybe I should just make doubly sure I get a good deal, just in case I feel the need for another fix soon. I drove Litchfields' demo Integra Type-R last year which was a great car...
Old 07 April 2006, 04:15 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

What you really want is an Audi S4 Preferrably an Avant But i might be a bit biased

Dan
Old 07 April 2006, 04:21 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

You selling? Swap you for my '96 Primera 2.0 'SLX'...
Old 07 April 2006, 04:43 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
I hated the BMW 5-series until about 1 hour ago, when coming back from a scooby meet a brand new BMW 545i in front showed me why I shouldnt have bothered to try to race him, Ive got a 315/300 newage scoob, and this BMW left me for dead after 100mph.
I'd suggest your car does not have as much power as you think, these things only have 328bhp and weigh 1600kg.
Old 07 April 2006, 07:25 PM
wide
Scooby Regular

I was thinking IS200 , a car I think looks stunning and is a comfortable looking car with great reliability, and be made to look pretty much amazing with some tasteful additions. Sure someone will slag it off on here mind, for being poo at handling or not powerful enough, but I do love the looks. Aesthetically pleasing is enough for me sometimes
Old 07 April 2006, 08:16 PM
j-k
Scooby Regular

Ive changed my 03 sti for a 330D coupe with all the toys(ex demonstrator with 2k on the clock). Its a fantastic car(and auto)and a world of difference to the scoob. It has been said earlier tho...a gaping void will be left in your life...so i now get a bit of fun in the 93 RA Tarmac Rally car that i run with a mate...
I have just bought the wife a mini cooper s and have a play in that now and again..

Take the cars for a VERY long test drive first....and then see if you can live without your scoob

good luck

jon
Old 07 April 2006, 08:25 PM
Mal K
Scooby Regular

I'm in exactly the same predicament, have been looking at A4's and 330d's to replace the Sti PPP but after a good thrash on some decent country lanes this morning it made me think again.
The other problem is I don't think I could accept the hit in depreciation.

This looks well though.
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/72299.htm
Old 07 April 2006, 09:21 PM
Leeroy
Scooby Regular

This is all very familiar - I bought an E46 328 just over a year ago because I was sick of the scoob's lack of refinement/running costs/harsh ride etc. Needless to say there was a large gaping hole after only a short period with the BM, which was lovely to drive and very comfy/refined. It just didin't stir the sole like a scoob does. The BM running costs were a mixed bag - over 35mpg but expensive to service/maintain.

I'm now the proud owner of an MY06 Sti!

S'pose it all depends on your outlook/interest in motoring - a diesel BM would be far and away the more sensible purchase but you could hardly describe it as exciting - you won't go for a drive just for the sake of it that's for sure! You also won't wind the windows down in a tunnel to hear the engine/exhaust note!
Old 07 April 2006, 10:40 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leeroy
This is all very familiar - I bought an E46 328 just over a year ago because I was sick of the scoob's lack of refinement/running costs/harsh ride etc. Needless to say there was a large gaping hole after only a short period with the BM, which was lovely to drive and very comfy/refined. It just didin't stir the sole like a scoob does. The BM running costs were a mixed bag - over 35mpg but expensive to service/maintain.

I'm now the proud owner of an MY06 Sti!

S'pose it all depends on your outlook/interest in motoring - a diesel BM would be far and away the more sensible purchase but you could hardly describe it as exciting - you won't go for a drive just for the sake of it that's for sure! You also won't wind the windows down in a tunnel to hear the engine/exhaust note!
How do you find the MY06 compared to your previous Scoob and also the BMW in terms of ride and comfort?
Old 08 April 2006, 09:18 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

OK, here's another crazy idea: how about, instead of spending (say) £20k on a nearly new Audi or BMW, that I instead spend £12k on one about 4 or 5 years old, and put the rest towards the V8-engined Westfield that I've been hankering after ever since I sold my previous 4cyl Westy a couple of years ago.

That could work...
Old 08 April 2006, 10:15 AM
compshack
Scooby Regular

I moved from a STI PPP to Evo 340 to 330D and now have a M3 CS. I do really miss the 330D on occasion, but I still miss the STI and or the Evo. They all have there differant strenghts/weeknesses. I think it covers the differant moods and feelings I have.
The 330D with a tuning box was really something else, I think it did everything you could possibly want, with economy thrown in. Having said that I still only got 26mpg when really pushed.
I really like the M3 but the 2 door coupe layout is a pain when you have children, but saying that I had to get in and out of the back of my Dad's Mini Cooper when I was young which I would say is more cramped than the M3.

Quick Reply: Changing the scooby for something more comfy... but what?