Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

MY05: Alfa 147 JTD

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2006, 07:26 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool MY05: Alfa 147 JTD

Last time I took our beloved Fiat Multipla in to my local dealer I got a panda, the time before that I got a Punto, so I said to the wife that she can run the loan car as I was sick of driving poverty spec tips. So what do I get this time; an Alfa 147 JTD Lusso [I think]. I couldn't believe it.

Anyway, the car. I have covered about 20 miles in it, combo of country lanes, 1 in 7 hills and the odd bit off dual laner. I think the car in question is 140 bhp and 200 lb/ft. It is nowhere near as quick as my Fabia vRS felt but it is a lot smoother to drive, and is keener between 3500-4500 rpm. The gearbox is like a stick in ****, and only has 5 forward gears, but they do the job well enough and 4th and 5th seem to be the best gears to be in to make good progress. The steering is direct and well weighted, and the traction control is the best I have experienced in any FWD car. The brakes are sharp and confidence inspiring and the car remains well composed 90% of the time, until you jump on them, then it starts to drift around the road a bit, which isn't that good.

The seats are velour and luxurious, but the fit and finish of the dash is pretty poor, and the ergonomics are terrible.

The car is £17500 I think, but I imagine you can chip the dealer down a few thousand. I think it is a good choice of diesel hatch for a professional over 25. The looks are by far the best feature of the car, except for the wheels on this model, which are too small.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...5_231_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...5_229_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...5_230_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...5_232_full.jpg
EDIT: This car has the worst steering lock ever, including old land rovers !

Last edited by Andy M3; 04 April 2006 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05 April 2006, 09:50 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

So, in summary, its a bit ****e?

Old 05 April 2006, 10:26 AM
Jonathan Davies
Scooby Regular

They look lovely but won't be tempting until they're better made or much cheaper. Even with 4 or 5 grand off I wouldn't fancy that - most of the discount goes down the poor residuals pan anyway.
Old 05 April 2006, 10:50 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diablo
So, in summary, its a bit ****e?

It has it's plus points compared to my fabia, but only a few .
Old 05 April 2006, 10:58 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Makes me smile that AR's are talked of as a 'prestige' brand.Mind you Volvos and Saab get chucked in to that odd category too.

However nice they might look,I wouldn't spend my own money on one
Old 05 April 2006, 11:05 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lozgti
Makes me smile that AR's are talked of as a 'prestige' brand.Mind you Volvos and Saab get chucked in to that odd category too.

However nice they might look,I wouldn't spend my own money on one
Oddly this loan car is leased !?!?! So even my local dealer wouldn't buy one
Old 05 April 2006, 11:16 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I wouldn't say it was ****e. It's a nice drive. Bit twitchy on the steering and the brakes are touch oversensitive, but I've driven cars which are much worse (are all small cars like that now? ). And the rear end feels a bit happy on lift off/braking...but that adds to the fun But 90% of the time it's composed, comfortable and gives good driver confidance without the need for the suspension being stiff enough to rattle out your fillings.

Yes trim falls off, the centre console/radio buttons are tiny, and the gearshift feels as compliant as 50year old knicker elastic (not that I would know ).

I've driven many diesel rentals, I prefer it to the Focus diesel (old shape - not had the pleasure of a new one - yet) Most certain better than any Renault diesel (an array of wallowy Megans with bits falling off), Astras, Zafiras, Almeras etc.
The only car I'd say is equal and would take my preference over the Alfa from a "drivers car" point of view in this size catorgory, is the Pug 307HDi (110 IIRC). But they don't exactly have the best reputation for reliability either, it also has a 5speed box with a soggy shift, twitchy steering(although not as bad) and very grabby brakes. And the 1.6HDi engine although excellent for its size, runs out of steam at about 95mph ...although it will still happily do that speed with 4 passengers up a steep Autovia (note Autovia...NOT motorway ) and it seems impossible to get anything below 45mpg

Last edited by ALi-B; 05 April 2006 at 11:27 AM.