Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Buying Boxster S (M3 to much of a gamble)

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2006, 01:54 PM
b12grf
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Boxster S (M3 to much of a gamble)

Guys any info on the Boxster S thoughts etc, was going to get a M3 but recalls and warranty prices not helping the case. Looking at one tommorrow anything I should look out for etc. Your thoughts etc would be very helpful.
Old 24 March 2006, 02:15 PM
big MO
Scooby Regular

just make sure it does everything that it says in the box...the rag top works, electrics any unusual sounds from the engine.... the usual stuff, also check to see if the right stamps are in the book. Ask the chap if you take the car on an extended test drive - for summat of that pedigree and price they should allow for this. Get it on a mixture of slow and fast roads to get a feel to see if it is for you. You getting from dealer (they do a 1xx point check on their used stock) or arthur daly? Most of the time one can't go far wrong in the boxster s. Ever thought of the S2000 tho? In any case, others will prob tell you the same - oh, and don't forget the hairdryer. I kept mine when I sold my 330 convertible!!!!
Old 24 March 2006, 02:53 PM
brybusa
Scooby Regular

M3 all the way, Boxsters for limp wristed poseurs with too much hair gel in the bathroom cabinet

hair dryer indeed!
Old 24 March 2006, 03:38 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brybusa
M3 all the way, Boxsters for limp wristed poseurs with too much hair gel in the bathroom cabinet

hair dryer indeed!
You have actually driven one then? There cant be much between the old shape 260bhp S and an E46 M3 surely?

Simon.
Old 24 March 2006, 04:48 PM
brybusa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
You have actually driven one then? There cant be much between the old shape 260bhp S and an E46 M3 surely?

Simon.
Not much but the Boxster opens the bathroom cabinet doors quicker in the 0 to Spikey hair test of gel/wax products..
Old 24 March 2006, 05:35 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by b12grf
was going to get a M3 but recalls and warranty prices not helping the case.
(ssssshhh, nobody mention RMS...)
Old 24 March 2006, 06:53 PM
cat7
Scooby Regular

Default don't believe all the hype...

Originally Posted by b12grf
Guys any info on the Boxster S thoughts etc, was going to get a M3 but recalls and warranty prices not helping the case. Looking at one tommorrow anything I should look out for etc. Your thoughts etc would be very helpful.
the badge makes no difference just make sure you buy a good un, do your homework and if your paranoid get a good dealer warranty either porker or bmw auc will do. It is true though the porker official warranty can be extended more cheaply and with supperior cover now bmw have in their infinate wisdom decided to offer a really ****e extended warranty product moving forward!!! but that would'nt put me off the m3, i would drive both and see hwich you prefer.

Trending Topics

Old 25 March 2006, 04:19 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Check the window seals for leaks. Check the wheels for corrosion. Check the front shocks for leaks. On start up it might rattle a bit for 2 or 3 seconds, this is very normal. Check for even wear on the rear tyres and check the brake pads / discs as they are expensive to replace. Should have full OPC S/H on it, if its in warranty ask to see the work history on the car so you can see whats been done (i.e RMS). If its over 60k miles and its not had a clutch change it will need one soon so factor that into the price. Also, check that the brake fluid has been changed on major services (costs 100 quid ish but a lot of owners dont bother). If its got sat nav check that the sim tray works, mine has stuck open twice now and it WILL require a new nav unit at 1800 quid to fix (thank god for the warranty!!). Check the paint is in good order, and if you can buy one with leather, PSM, cruise and sat nav as they are the most desirable come resale time.
Old 25 March 2006, 11:45 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

The M3 would be more reliable of the two Id say and its faster.

I reckon the boxsters a bit plain and ugly and even my mum calls it the cheap mans porsche.
Old 25 March 2006, 11:48 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Another way of looking at it is that the Porsche is a proper mid engined sports car, designed by the best in the business while the BMW is a front-engined hot rod saloon.
Old 25 March 2006, 11:52 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

The porsche however is comprimised slightly in the fact that its a roadster.
Old 26 March 2006, 12:33 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

How so?
Old 26 March 2006, 12:45 AM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

I should reword. It would have been faster if it was a hardtop, basically the boxster would have been perfect if it started off as a cayman.
Old 26 March 2006, 07:45 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Not for those people who like soft-tops.

In fact, that's more crap, isn't it? A car designed as a hardtop and then made into a convertible usually suffers from scuttle shake or other lack of rigidity. By designing a car as a convertible from the beginning, the resulting hardtop will have exceptional rigidity.

Still, I suppose they can't drive it up a ski slope.
Old 26 March 2006, 08:37 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

The boxster is more reliable than the BMW imho. The boxster is a quick car too, the BMW might have more power but its a almost 200kg heavier than the boxster. The boxster is 1385kg while the M3 is 1570kg. So it might have 340bhp vs 280 but its not got that much of an advantage, esp when you look at its CW which is 0.33, while the boxster is 0.30. All this means there is not much in it on the road, so its then down to weather you want a Porsche or a BMW, roadster or coupe. I was a big porsche hater until I had the chance to drive one. Then I really liked it and spend a couple of years dreaming, but then I got the chance to by a nearly new 2.7 and its been the best car I have owned. My friends could not belive I had gone and bought one as I used to slag them off so much, esp at track days, but then I had to eat humble pie and admit that the car is really very good. I would love to have an M3 too, but the mrs would go mental LOL.
Old 27 March 2006, 04:25 PM
scoobymoo
Scooby Regular

Location: was the drivers seat of Richard Burns's P1 now in a boxster S

I used to own a prodrived MY99 and then a P1 which I unfortunately wrote off in a hit kerb roll into a field type incident. I now own a boxster S and it is by far the best car I have ever owned. From 30 onwards I would say if anything it was faster than the P1 and the handling is in a different league. Not to mention the interior, general build quality etc. Its also extremely practical I can get just as much luggage in its two boots as I used to get in the scoobys. It also has an engine note to die for but is quiet on the motorway (the P1 also had a great engine note but it was ever present and could get wearing on a long journey). Its also cheaper to run and insure than the scoobys. As for M3s I have never driven one but did have a traffic light grand prix with one on a private dual carriage way and up to 90+ I had pulled a car length on him. Surprised me and I think him but it did make my day.
Old 28 March 2006, 07:14 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

What's the RMS issue with Boxters?

Steve
Old 28 March 2006, 07:19 AM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve Sherwen
What's the RMS issue with Boxters?

Steve
The rear main seal applies to Boxsters and 996's (excluding GT3,GT2,Turbo).

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...&highlight=rms
Old 28 March 2006, 08:19 AM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ignore comments like those Brybusa has dished out. They're not a true reflection of the car just somebody repeating something he/she heard some other troll say.

Also ignore the comments that the car is compromised - Brendan is spot on in pointing out that the Boxster was designed without a roof, not handicapped by its later removal.

I've not driven the S but had huge amounts of fun in the std.

It is a car that has had buckets of praise heaped on it from the motoring press, particularly from those who care more about the performance of these cars - Tiff, EVO etc.

The 'cheap man's Porsche' is another bandwagon comment that needs ignoring. Is a F430 a cheap man's Ferrari or a Gallardo that for Lamborghini?
Old 28 March 2006, 09:18 AM
adzipalmer
Scooby Regular

I drove a Boxster S and was utterly gutted, good handling but didn't feel that quick. It just a hair dressers car which I think most people agree
Old 28 March 2006, 09:44 AM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Old 28 March 2006, 09:59 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

I had an extended test in a 987s as I was thinking of trading my 986. It did not feel all that much faster than my 986... to start with. Then after a good hour down b roads it is a good bit quicker, not a massive jump but a good 10% all over, slightly better brakes, better balance, bit more power, bit more torque etc etc. It was most noticable when I got back into my 986 later that day. Felt flat and lifeless, although its not. The "S" is 4 seconds a lap faster than a Nissan 350z around Bedford... and FASTER than a standard 997 by 0.30 seconds... Also quicker than M3, M5....
Old 28 March 2006, 10:45 AM
Wish
Scooby Regular

www.boxa.net

They will be able to answer all your questions
Old 28 March 2006, 11:52 AM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AudiLover
I reckon the boxsters a bit plain and ugly and even my mum calls it the cheap mans porsche.
I hate these "poor man's Porsche" comments, the Boxster is a brilliant car.
Old 28 March 2006, 01:09 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Not for those people who like soft-tops.

In fact, that's more crap, isn't it? A car designed as a hardtop and then made into a convertible usually suffers from scuttle shake or other lack of rigidity. By designing a car as a convertible from the beginning, the resulting hardtop will have exceptional rigidity.

Still, I suppose they can't drive it up a ski slope.
Old 28 March 2006, 01:11 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic

Simon.
E46M3 is a good bit faster than a 260ps "S"
Old 28 March 2006, 01:16 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

I cant see it. The new "S" is only 20bhp more and is 1.45 seconds quicker than an E46 M3CS at Bedford (page 154 of Evo). I reckon the 986S is going to be about the same as an E46 M3 over a lap.
Old 28 March 2006, 01:25 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by billythekid
I cant see it. The new "S" is only 20bhp more and is 1.45 seconds quicker than an E46 M3CS at Bedford (page 154 of Evo). I reckon the 986S is going to be about the same as an E46 M3 over a lap.
Yes, but most people drive these cars on the roads, where the ultimate handling ability and traction advantage of the Porsche on track will be of little advantage.

In any event, unless the lap times were done on the same day by the same driver the are not really comparable.

Current "S" is meant to be a fair bit better than the old "S"

Granted the M3 is speed restricted to 155, but getting there the M3 will be quicker than the old "s".
Old 28 March 2006, 01:31 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by AudiLover
Sshh, no-one mention the ultimate cheap man's Porsche - the 924. You know, the one with involvement from some other car company, trying to remember which...
Old 28 March 2006, 01:42 PM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

Take it from an ex roadster owner.....go for the M3....
After the initial "Look then sun's out! lets turn the heaters up and drop the roof" days........it'll be one of the biggist pain in the ****'s you'll ever have owned........I still can't believe I drove one for two years..........the thought of it actually brings back the memories of "hairdresser" and "nonse"........

Quick Reply: Buying Boxster S (M3 to much of a gamble)