Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Evo FQ400 has too little umph!?

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2006, 12:02 PM
MY93WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evo FQ400 has too little umph!?

Just seen this article on msn: Owen Developments, who have just announced their latest tuning range. The Mitsubishi 'Big Power kit' provides, to unhinged Evo owners, up to 511bhp. Yes, 511bhp. And 426lb/ft of torque. Goodness knows how the clutch and transmission will stand up to such torrents of shove. No prices have been announced, and performance figures haven’t been quoted either, but you can be sure it’s sickeningly fast; the FQ-400 managed 60mph in 3.5 seconds
Old 13 March 2006, 12:13 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

From what I've heard of the FQ400, the delivery is - Nothing Nothing Nothing Nothing Nothing Nothing I thought this thing was meant to be fast Nothing Nothing Nothing Bloody hell we're going now AAAH, change gear quick help!.
Old 13 March 2006, 12:19 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

That is CRAZY !

I watched a top gear repeat a week ago or so, and for the first time i saw the FQ400 episode, and i was blown away ! Despite the 'cons' that Jezza pointed out, i think i would be giggling too much to care if i owned one of those. It was spectacular. However when i watched the stig doing his fast lap, he was doing less of the 4 wheel drift stuff and trying to keep it on the straight and narrow - which it didn't seem that comfortable with. It looked to have horific understeer on the 'follow through' ploughing it's way through both turns, past the tyre wall. I assume this is down to the breathtaking delivery of power through all four wheels - and the clever diff hasn't got time to react if you turn at 1?? mph whilst burying the pedal through the carpet.

This for me is where i felt that the power had overwhelmed that chasis, and although it takes it very well, a lower powered version may be more composed through such corners.

511hp, that will be a handful.
Old 13 March 2006, 12:50 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy M3

. It looked to have horific understeer on the 'follow through' ploughing it's way through both turns, past the tyre wall. I assume this is down to the breathtaking delivery of power through all four wheels - and the clever diff hasn't got time to react if you turn at 1?? mph whilst burying the pedal through the carpet.
I saw that and found it very odd. The last thing my EVO would do is understeer.

The chassis used to be set up as basically oversteering and used the Active Yaw Control rear diff to keep things stable.

The AYC can respond in millseconds so I dont think it was a delay in the diff, can only think they might have changed the set up in the later versions?
Old 13 March 2006, 02:17 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gary C
I saw that and found it very odd. The last thing my EVO would do is understeer.

The chassis used to be set up as basically oversteering and used the Active Yaw Control rear diff to keep things stable.

The AYC can respond in millseconds so I dont think it was a delay in the diff, can only think they might have changed the set up in the later versions?
What Evo have you got Gary ? Do you not have to lift even a little bit to get a bit of oversteer ?
Old 13 March 2006, 03:37 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy M3
What Evo have you got Gary ? Do you not have to lift even a little bit to get a bit of oversteer ?
Had an EVO 5.

At slower speeds it would oversteer without any flicking, just nice, controllable tail out drift. As the speed climbed, the software reduced the oversteer to a neutral slide. The one thing it never did was understeer !

Initially it was strange, the car felt as if it would snap into wild oversteer so you tended to over countersteer to catch it, only to find there was nothing to catch.

With familiarity you would let it turn in and drift.

The AYC is a wonderfull bit of kit, but not completly fool proof, too fast and you will still crash :0