Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Thinking of buying a XR2

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2006, 03:00 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying a XR2

As above, I'm thinking of getting one as a cheap run about, as I'm spending £50 a week on Petrol just going to work & back in my STI PPP.

Has anyone had any recent experience owning one of these ?

As they are getting on a bit now, are there any major things to look out for when buying one ? I'm wanting a F plate one.

Anyone know a mint one up for sale ?

I always wanted one of these when I was young, but the insurance was always too much. As I'm wanting a cheap second car it might as well be fun to drive In the ideal world I'd buy a 106 GTI, as I've owned one before, but there too much money for what I want.

Cheers

STIlover
Old 28 February 2006, 03:14 PM
nickwrxstiV2
Scooby Regular

Had 1 a couple of years back, real go-kart feel to it!!

Very nippy considering the age of it!! CVH engines are widespreead so spares shouln't be a problem! Just check for the usual rust points, battery tray, floor plan and sills especially!!!!

Nick
Old 28 February 2006, 03:17 PM
jonnyh
Scooby Regular

Unless is is very cheap I would'nt bother.

They are not fun to drive and the CVH lump is not dissimilar to a cement mixer full of nails. The carbs on mine were prone to playing up.

There are lots of cars worth looking at before one of these.

They also rust....a lot.
Old 28 February 2006, 03:21 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

I would have thought these things will be going back up in price again ? a minter may be £1500 - £2000.
Old 28 February 2006, 03:24 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonnyh
They also rust....a lot.
I know not to buy a D reg one, as they really do rust (Ford strike) as the bare shells were left outside in all weathers. That's why I'm wanting one as new as possible, and hopefully one thats been put in a garage on a night time. I've seen one at a dealer near Manchester, but as I live in Darlington (other side of the country) it seams a long way to go, if it's not a good example. Don't want to drive there, just to come back with no car.

Thanks for the advise though
Old 28 February 2006, 03:25 PM
jonnyh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy M3
I would have thought these things will be going back up in price again ? a minter may be £1500 - £2000.
Please say its not true . I've had a few cars in my time and this was one of the worst. It did feel fast compared to a MK4 spitfire though, which is something.....

I really think a 205 XS would be a better bet all round...plus lower 1.4 tax rate and no rust....
Old 28 February 2006, 03:32 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I've seen 2 advertised that are both to concourse standard. £2k, and £2750. The £2750 one only has 33,000 miles on it. I'd love to buy it, as it will be mint, but it's more money than I want to spend.
Old 28 February 2006, 03:34 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Please say its not true . .
http://interford.co.uk/classified/showad.php?adid=1084

http://interford.co.uk/classified/showad.php?adid=1098

http://www.interford.co.uk/gallery/d...336&fullsize=1

There are a few here

http://www.xroc.co.uk/index.shtml
Old 28 February 2006, 03:54 PM
kwakman
Scooby Regular

They are awesome handling cars. With a track set up the XR2 in my old championship, the 750MC stock hatch challenge, could not be touched through corners and belied its relative lack of grunt. I think it would be fab fun for a 2nd car.
Old 28 February 2006, 03:57 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

i had a mkI as my first car...loved it!
Old 28 February 2006, 04:12 PM
eldudereno
Scooby Regular

I had a mk2 for a couple of years, it was a great little car.

As mentioned earlier though, rust will be the main problem.
Old 28 February 2006, 04:13 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kwakman
They are awesome handling cars. With a track set up the XR2 in my old championship, the 750MC stock hatch challenge, could not be touched through corners and belied its relative lack of grunt. I think it would be fab fun for a 2nd car.
They are good, but a well sorted golf mk2 will easily keep up with a fiesta around the bends, mabybe even out perform.

Maybe you should have a look at the Mk2 Golfs instead
Old 28 February 2006, 04:44 PM
ESH
Scooby Regular

Please say its not true . I've had a few cars in my time and this was one of the worst. It did feel fast compared to a MK4 spitfire though, which is something.....

I really think a 205 XS would be a better bet all round...plus lower 1.4 tax rate and no rust....
I've had 3 Fiesta Xr's in my short life. I really loved them. Reliability was about 75% but never too expensive to remedy.

My brother however had a 106 XSI. Seemed a much better all round car with electrics too. As with the 205 Xs will be at a lower tax point too. Carbs can be a right pain during colder months so I thought I'd recommend the pug.

Esh
Old 28 February 2006, 04:47 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Maybe you should have a look at the Mk2 Golfs instead
Always been a fast Ford man. Besides, I always wanted a XR2, so it will be nice to actually own one. I may regret it, but........ why not.
Old 28 February 2006, 04:51 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Always been a fast Ford man. Besides, I always wanted a XR2, so it will be nice to actually own one. I may regret it, but........ why not.
Follow your dream, it's cheap enough anyway

BTW you have 666 post counts, you better add another
Old 28 February 2006, 04:56 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Follow your dream, it's cheap enough anyway

BTW you have 666 post counts, you better add another
Matches the numbers imprinted on my skull
Old 28 February 2006, 04:58 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

OK !

Old 28 February 2006, 05:00 PM
EvoCarl
Scooby Regular

awesome little car if you find a good one.

Friends mk2 xr2 is running a rs turbo lump, 150ish bhp@850kg= fun

had a meet at haynes with southwest scoobys last weekend..ask some of them how quick the xr2 was

also insurance seems very very cheap on these, a young mate of mine got a qoute and it worked out nearly half the price of a saxo vtr ?
Old 28 February 2006, 07:12 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I'd skip the mkII and go for a mkIII XR2i 16V, much better plus you get power steering! Or an si...
Old 28 February 2006, 07:18 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When did you last see one ?
Old 28 February 2006, 08:44 PM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a RHD import one of these with Electric Windows and Central Locking.

I have to say it was cheap to upgrade using parts from other fords. (Xr2i bottom end and early heads etc for high comp engines).

We did a cheap turbo conversion for a mate using an RS lump but the pressurised carb and fuel regulator/pump from a lancia Turbo. Although you could use a 5GTT carb instead.

Those were the days.................
Old 28 February 2006, 08:46 PM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

By the way, all Zetec fords from 92 onward used the same wiring plug layout for the same year. So you can drop a same year 2.0 into a 1.6 fiesta if you changed the ancilliaries and ECU/Injectors.
Old 28 February 2006, 08:54 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless is is very cheap I would'nt bother.

They are not fun to drive and the CVH lump is not dissimilar to a cement mixer full of nails. The carbs on mine were prone to playing up.

There are lots of cars worth looking at before one of these.

They also rust....a lot.
Rubbish, they are great little motors and the only probs with the carbs are either gasket or jets. Cost around a tenner to sort and with a decent exhaust you can easily see 120mph and with the new jets a real kick when you floor it. Plus the cvh may sound rough if the oil is not changed regular but they go on forever.
Old 28 February 2006, 11:24 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by webby v7 slipperwagon
Rubbish, they are great little motors and the only probs with the carbs are either gasket or jets. Cost around a tenner to sort and with a decent exhaust you can easily see 120mph and with the new jets a real kick when you floor it. Plus the cvh may sound rough if the oil is not changed regular but they go on forever.
Thanks for that. I'll remember that. My best mate's a mechanic and has his own garage, so all parts are cost, and the Labour charge is a few pints on a weekend
Old 28 February 2006, 11:27 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
When did you last see one ?
I think a lot of them have been bought, stripped, and turned into race/track cars. Every "Duke" video you see, theres always XR2's hammering around.
Old 02 March 2006, 10:28 AM
jonnyh
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by webby v7 slipperwagon
Whats your point of reference? Maybe mine was a duffer (shagged dampers or bushes?) But it was really not a nice car to drive. Any cooking 205 would corner much better.

You might see 120mph on the speedo but I doubt the true speed would be anything like that...

Carbs are also **** in cold weather (prone to icing) at consistent wide throttle openings.
Old 02 March 2006, 06:32 PM
sideways scooby
Scooby Regular

ive had three, one of them being a rally car with 2.0l cvh 170bhp and 185lbft very fast little car struggled for grip though, probably one of the easiest cars to work on with so many cheap spares avaliable, not that fast standard but good fun
Old 02 March 2006, 10:20 PM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

Just so you have a clear idea about the economics...not to bum the party but if it's cos you REALLY would rather drive an XR2 then fair enough if not...

let's do a two year cost comparison :

50pw =£2600 per yr in fuel assuming 20mpg which assumes 12000miles

Two years fuel £5200

Assuming you get 40mpg (doubtful on such an old car) from new car thats £1350 in fuel for two years i s £2700

add cost of car £1500, 2yrs insurance £400, 2 yrs running cost at estimated £400 per annum is £800, 2 yrs tax £250

Total estimated cost of running and BUYING XR2 for 2 years £5650

Thus the NET result of running a second car to save money is MINUS £450 - plus you don't get to drive your lovely STI but have to drive what can best be described as ( sorry to be so blunt) a 'nice banger'.

If there is an economic and fun balance required sell the scooby buy a good £3-4K diesel almera (62mpg) and a good westfield/caterham for the summer or the days you need to kick **** on the highway!.

Last edited by flynnstudio; 02 March 2006 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03 March 2006, 11:44 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by flynnstudio
Just so you have a clear idea about the economics...not to bum the party but if it's cos you REALLY would rather drive an XR2 then fair enough if not...

let's do a two year cost comparison :

50pw =£2600 per yr in fuel assuming 20mpg which assumes 12000miles

Two years fuel £5200

Assuming you get 40mpg (doubtful on such an old car) from new car thats £1350 in fuel for two years i s £2700

add cost of car £1500, 2yrs insurance £400, 2 yrs running cost at estimated £400 per annum is £800, 2 yrs tax £250

Total estimated cost of running and BUYING XR2 for 2 years £5650

Thus the NET result of running a second car to save money is MINUS £450 - plus you don't get to drive your lovely STI but have to drive what can best be described as ( sorry to be so blunt) a 'nice banger'.

If there is an economic and fun balance required sell the scooby buy a good £3-4K diesel almera (62mpg) and a good westfield/caterham for the summer or the days you need to kick **** on the highway!.
Hi Fly

Totaly understand what your saying there, but the £50 per week is just to get to work & back. Going out on a night, and weekend driving is extra on top of that £50. So my reasoning was, drive the XR2 2 or 3 days a week to work & back. The money I'd save between that & taking the STI in would mean there would be more petrol in the STI's tank for the weekend.

There are other reasons as well, that I didn't mention.

1) Parking the car at the Gym. The only place I can't get away with parking in 2 bays, so this takes away any chance of some dimwit denting/scratching my STI.

2) I don't let my sisters dog inside the STI, for obvious reasons. while I'd happily let it in the XR2.

The other thing is that I don't want to spend £3-4k on a car, and certainly not a boring Diesel. The XR2, while yes it's old, will/should still be fun to drive.
Old 03 March 2006, 05:11 PM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

Always been a fast Ford man.
But i thought you drove a Focus RS

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a XR2