Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Esprit V8 vs 22B

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2006, 10:04 PM
pabs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Esprit V8 vs 22B

Am considering either of the two above, based on performance, looks and all the other important factors like that! Which would you go for and why?
Old 21 February 2006, 10:52 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

22B is still arguably the ultimate old shape scoob. The Esprit V8 however, is a proper 2 seat mid-engined supercar. The 22B might have at least as much grip, but won't touch the Lotus for handling if you enjoy driving. The Esprit V8 is a potent turbo engine which is very unstressed so could probably tune to quite major levels, and is already going to slaughter a 22B at higher speed work if they're both standard. However, you will never get anyone in the back of an Esprit, and I wouldn't like to bet on it having a great reliability record unless it's been very well looked after. Also has an interior that makes the scoobs look fairly modern!

To the verdict - If it was as a car to just enjoy driving quickly, I'd take the Esprit. If it was my only car and I had to rely on it, especially if I was occassionally taking multiple passengers, the 22B.
Old 21 February 2006, 10:57 PM
ewanrw
Scooby Regular

just changed my scoob for an elise so I'm now bias.

Lotus all the way.

ha ha

ewan
Old 21 February 2006, 11:05 PM
pabs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hades
22B is still arguably the ultimate old shape scoob. The Esprit V8 however, is a proper 2 seat mid-engined supercar. The 22B might have at least as much grip, but won't touch the Lotus for handling if you enjoy driving. The Esprit V8 is a potent turbo engine which is very unstressed so could probably tune to quite major levels, and is already going to slaughter a 22B at higher speed work if they're both standard. However, you will never get anyone in the back of an Esprit, and I wouldn't like to bet on it having a great reliability record unless it's been very well looked after. Also has an interior that makes the scoobs look fairly modern!

To the verdict - If it was as a car to just enjoy driving quickly, I'd take the Esprit. If it was my only car and I had to rely on it, especially if I was occassionally taking multiple passengers, the 22B.
Very reasonable comments - it would mostly be for the fun factor as we already have a 4 seater car so practicallity not that important
Old 21 February 2006, 11:21 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Yeah but aren't the gearboxes a very weak point on the Esprit, so tuning the engine is limited by the gearbox!!!
Old 21 February 2006, 11:38 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

as said esprit is renound for spitting gearbox and clutchs out.
personal choice after having been in an esprite few years ago i prefer scoob,

also scoobysi is selling his 22b, well worth a look for the price its going for 21k i think and very very well looked after, sure if you have a look in for sale section, link on mid scoobs

http://midlandschat.proboards33.com/...ead=1140529434
Old 22 February 2006, 05:54 PM
Gixerman
Scooby Regular

L(lots)
O(of)
T(trouble)
U(usually)
S(serious)

Sorry, couldn't resist it

I'll get me coat!!
Old 22 February 2006, 05:57 PM
Daniel-S
Scooby Regular

22B all the way for me
Old 22 February 2006, 06:17 PM
Group Captain Smudger
Scooby Regular

My neighbour has the sport 350 (ltd edn jobbie). It's mint (5yo, 5K). It sure looks the business but I haven't heard it used in anger so can't comment on noise effects, but if it's anything like a cerbera then it's going to be disappointing (as opposed to a "proper" v8 sound).

If he said to me, "I'm feeling generous do you want the Lotus or I'll buy you a 22B instead," I'd take the 22B no hesitation.
Old 22 February 2006, 06:19 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Group Captain Smudger
My neighbour has the sport 350 (ltd edn jobbie). It's mint (5yo, 5K). It sure looks the business but I haven't heard it used in anger so can't comment on noise effects, but if it's anything like a cerbera then it's going to be disappointing (as opposed to a "proper" v8 sound).

If he said to me, "I'm feeling generous do you want the Lotus or I'll buy you a 22B instead," I'd take the 22B no hesitation.
I wouldnt have either

Last edited by Gutmann pug; 22 February 2006 at 06:21 PM.
Old 22 February 2006, 06:41 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

u mad? the scoob is nice yeah but come on, if you have no worries about affording to run it its got to be an Esprit all the way....

That?
http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD...a?id=243651314
http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD...a?id=277205695

or that?
http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD...a?id=227912170

Crazy if you pick the Impreza. It might be the daddy of Imprezas but its still only an impreza.
Old 22 February 2006, 07:01 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
u mad? the scoob is nice yeah but come on, if you have no worries about affording to run it its got to be an Esprit all the way....

That?
http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD...a?id=243651314
http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD...a?id=277205695

or that?
http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD...a?id=227912170

Crazy if you pick the Impreza. It might be the daddy of Imprezas but its still only an impreza.
So says you. If we all chose the same things in life it would be one boring place.

Scoob for me. Unless you drive like a nutter or spend a lot of time on the autobahn then Id imagine its as fast as the Esprit in most conditions.

Simon.
Old 22 February 2006, 07:25 PM
mg driver
Scooby Regular

2 litre 4 cylinder turbo or 3.5 litre 8 cylinder twin turbo hmmmmmm, absolute no brainer ,on looks alone the esprit is in another league,this is a purpose made supercar not an uprated saloon,folks dont think or look twice when a scooby is mentioned .One of my friends father has a v8 esprit ,,you think scoobs sound good ,nah not in comparison to a real car.The esprit will trounce on the 22b above 100 mph .If you can afford the esprit go for it ,it will take some comitment ,money and servicing but well worth it imo.
Old 22 February 2006, 07:29 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mg driver
2 litre 4 cylinder turbo or 3.5 litre 8 cylinder twin turbo hmmmmmm, absolute no brainer ,on looks alone the esprit is in another league,this is a purpose made supercar not an uprated saloon,folks dont think or look twice when a scooby is mentioned .One of my friends father has a v8 esprit ,,you think scoobs sound good ,nah not in comparison to a real car.The esprit will trounce on the 22b above 100 mph .If you can afford the esprit go for it ,it will take some comitment ,money and servicing but well worth it imo.
I think you mean 2.2
Old 22 February 2006, 07:33 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

You have a second glance at an espirit, you don't with a scoob. Hate to say this but to 90% of the population it will appear you have put a wide chavish bodykit on the scoob not realising what it is.

Lotus all the way.
Old 22 February 2006, 07:40 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Not really an esprit lover myself........although I would have one if it was given obviously
Old 22 February 2006, 07:46 PM
mg driver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
I think you mean 2.2
does that make any difference
Old 22 February 2006, 07:51 PM
Mangel
Scooby Regular

I own both kind of.

I have an 89 esprit turbo 2.2 and a 05 Impreza WRX wagon P Pack with bits.

They are both completey different animals, admittedly the 22B is far more extreme than my wagon(I've been for a blast in one) but it still has that air of practical 4 seat car.

The esprit has none of that.

They will both turn heads but for different reasons, Impreza to those who know what it is and hear the noise. The esprit because of the shape.

I would suggest you find and drive both before you decide cos like I said they are chalk and cheese!!
Old 22 February 2006, 09:08 PM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

Isn't the Lotus V8 a flat plane crank ? Therefore doesn't sound like a traditional v8.

I remember hearing one and it didn't have the wooffle I'd associate with a V8.
Old 22 February 2006, 09:43 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Have a search on here I think the (ex?) owner of Scoobynet Simon De Banke had an Esprit and so he'd be well able to comment. Sadly from memory he had reliability issues.

Also, look what happened when fifth gear bought one! 50 metres or whatever down the road and the gearbox was in bits! They did have that plank Vicki driving it though.
Old 22 February 2006, 11:11 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

I agree with some of the comments on here. yes the Esprit looks better and probably goes better - but what is the point if your scared of using it to its full potential through fear of knackering the gearbox and spending its life sat in a garage. me i'd rather take my chances with a 4.2 Cerbera (not as unreliable as you'd think so i've been told) or for ultimate reliability and supercar presence.... A Honda NSX

Last edited by The Chief; 22 February 2006 at 11:37 PM.
Old 23 February 2006, 10:49 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

The Espirit V8 uses the gearbox out of a Renault 5, as it's the only gearbox able to fit. A lot of gearboxes break, as they struggle to cope, plus from what I've read the gearbox action is cr@p. Interiors are cramped, with steering wheel and peddles offset.
Remember 5th Gear??? they bought a silver V8 to tune up. They only got 5 miles down the road before the gearbox blew. If memory serves right, the clutch went as well.
Having said that, they do look nice, but for me, they are far to brittle and would forever need money spending on it.
I'd be tempted to go for the 22b. Personal opinion of course.
Old 23 February 2006, 11:27 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I've owned a uk22b, but never even been in an esprit. If I was in a mind to get another 20k car for fun only I can honestly say it would be neither of these cars.

The 22b was a nice car, but one of the most over-rated subarus ever made. I sold mine as i couldnt justify to myself having a 23k car that was on a par performance wise with 5k classics. At the end of the day its more of a posing thing to have a 22b IMHO for the *everyday driver*. Panels are very expensive to replace and youll be scared to leave it anywhere unguarded, or even to rag it about in case of damage.

The Lotus, I dont really know much about apart from what I hear. A bloke at work has one and its a nightmare reliability wise, pretty much the same as youll hear anywhere.

Why the choice of just these two very different cars anyway? What do you want from this car? If it's just for fun etc I would not even consider these two cars at all.
Old 23 February 2006, 12:19 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I think you'll find the gearbox is from the Renault 25, not the 5.
Old 23 February 2006, 12:45 PM
wolfie28
Scooby Regular

Scoobynutta555, you are spot on. If you have decided on these two cars test drive each (and not a quick 10 min drive) and then decide. Personally I wouldn't have either. If its got to be a Lotus, an older shape Exige or a Scooby P1 for me. Very nice to have that decision though.

Enjoy which ever, Wolfie.
Old 23 February 2006, 01:17 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
I think you'll find the gearbox is from the Renault 25, not the 5.
I stand corrected
Old 23 February 2006, 03:13 PM
big MO
Scooby Regular

hmmm esprit - very british and a sexy wedge even after 30 years. A classic british supercar.

hmmm 22b - can't add comment - sexiest rice burner to come out of the land of the rising sun - again a classic.

Buy tomorrows lottery ticket......
Old 26 February 2006, 07:51 AM
scooby-si
Scooby Regular

Location: 2005 sso, 1/4 finals,3rd in 60ft; 2004 sso,semi finals,2nd in 60ft time; 2003 standard car 2nd 60ft

22b all the way, but not a standard one, they are to slow standard,
Old 26 February 2006, 09:59 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

For 20ish K it be looking for a cheap R34 GTR

MB

Quick Reply: Esprit V8 vs 22B