Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Ferrari Enzo crash in Malibu....

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2006, 09:57 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ferrari Enzo crash in Malibu....

http://video.ktla.com/global/video/W...layerVersion=7

Might take a while to load... but it's amazing....

Sorry, there's a commercial first... then the clip....

Last edited by RON; 21 February 2006 at 10:00 PM.
Old 21 February 2006, 10:11 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hhhmmm16 valve?!?!
Old 21 February 2006, 10:14 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

They're only reporters.... don't expect the truth....
Old 21 February 2006, 10:15 PM
AC1
Scooby Regular

From the air the accident seems to happend just after a gentle turn and a dip, may have caused the ENZO to lose its aerodynamic effect if it was going at speed?
Old 21 February 2006, 10:31 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe the engine split in two
Old 21 February 2006, 10:38 PM
Jake
Scooby Regular

have seen some pictures of this before somewhere.
Old 21 February 2006, 10:43 PM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

awesome crash :O isnt it a 6.0 v12......
Old 21 February 2006, 10:51 PM
bush360
Scooby Regular

Amazing no one was killed I like it how they had assumed it was a fatal crash and then changed the report halfway through. Bloody Yanks
Old 21 February 2006, 11:53 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Probably some PGR2 Yank Players doing what they always do, Enzo dodgems.
Old 22 February 2006, 01:11 AM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
There was a similar crash in Europe a little while ago, same result - car split in two, but occupants died
ha was gona say same thing. And apparently the driver of that one was some well known Drug dealer
Old 22 February 2006, 12:23 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

More worrying is Ross King is famous in America?!?!
Old 22 February 2006, 02:17 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

The engine weighs in excess of 1500lbs!!!
Crashed into the telegraph pole at 200mph!!! Since there are skid marks indicating slowing down, the car must have been doing WELL in excess of 200mph (very unlikely) as it needed to slow down from something!
TWO people at the scene said driver ran off into hills and police copter is looking for that person, that makes THREE people. So how many seats in an Enzo? Has the penny not dropped for the police
dumbass reporters

Love to see the insurance claim. Err, I wasn't driving, my imaginary friend was.
Old 22 February 2006, 10:27 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

"Stefan Eriksson, the former executive officer of the now bankrupt Gizmondo Europe, who resigned from the company after it emerged that he was convicted of financial fraud in the mid-90s, was involved in a high speed car crash which totalled a $1 million Ferrari Enzo. Police in the Los Angeles district of Malibu said in a statement that the car was owned by Mr. Eriksson, but that he was not driving.

According to the former exec. a German man called Dietrich--who fled the scene--was driving the car. That's convenient considering that Mr. Eriksson's blood-alcohol level was above the legal limit. The car, which was travelling at around 192km/h, mounted an embankment, became airborne and was sheared in two on collision with a pole. Apparently the car was taking part in a street race with a Mercedes SLR, a $677,500 car.

So when Mr. Eriksson claimed to have left Gizmondo to "pursue new entrepreneurial ventures", he meant to say that he'd be throwing away a third of the $3 million in salary and bonuses he earned from his time at Gizmondo by getting involved in the writing off of his one million dollar car. Stefan Eriksson, with his mobster past and reckless attitude to his own life and others, is the sort of person the video games industry (or any industry for that matter) doesn't need."

source www.joystiq.com
Old 22 February 2006, 10:37 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

are they not designed to seperate at high speed impacts? seems strange if they are not as most crashes with newer raris seem to have seperated.
Old 22 February 2006, 11:21 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

i have driven that road and doing 70 on it is bad enough as its always busy but to get to 200mph there is hardly a straight section of road on on PCH so it would take some ***** to get up to those speeds never mind on a public road
Old 23 February 2006, 07:54 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
i have driven that road and doing 70 on it is bad enough as its always busy but to get to 200mph there is hardly a straight section of road on on PCH so it would take some ***** to get up to those speeds never mind on a public road
You're believing what the reporters said. I don't believe that they were doing 200mph (or anywhere near since they lived). It's headline grabbing to say 200mph. Tabloid TV.
Old 23 February 2006, 02:04 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

The car, which was travelling at around 192km/h,
Old 23 February 2006, 03:12 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

They are meant to split in half. The lack of give in the carbon fibre chassis/cockpit otherwise would mean internal organs mushed from crash inertia.
Old 23 February 2006, 07:21 PM
Rob Walker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spectrum48k
"Stefan Eriksson, the former executive officer of the now bankrupt Gizmondo Europe, who resigned from the company after it emerged that he was convicted of financial fraud in the mid-90s, was involved in a high speed car crash which totalled a $1 million Ferrari Enzo. Police in the Los Angeles district of Malibu said in a statement that the car was owned by Mr. Eriksson, but that he was not driving.

According to the former exec. a German man called Dietrich--who fled the scene--was driving the car. That's convenient considering that Mr. Eriksson's blood-alcohol level was above the legal limit. The car, which was travelling at around 192km/h, mounted an embankment, became airborne and was sheared in two on collision with a pole. Apparently the car was taking part in a street race with a Mercedes SLR, a $677,500 car.

So when Mr. Eriksson claimed to have left Gizmondo to "pursue new entrepreneurial ventures", he meant to say that he'd be throwing away a third of the $3 million in salary and bonuses he earned from his time at Gizmondo by getting involved in the writing off of his one million dollar car. Stefan Eriksson, with his mobster past and reckless attitude to his own life and others, is the sort of person the video games industry (or any industry for that matter) doesn't need."

source www.joystiq.com
We have loads of folk where I work who all got laid off by Gizmondo.. Needless to say there was much hilarity at this story today!
Old 25 February 2006, 12:02 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

16v 200mph
Old 26 February 2006, 03:08 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

The car is owned, apparently, by the guy who bought my mates' brothers software company. I'm told the car wasn't supposed to be in the states and wasn't insured over there. Can't remember the rest of the details as I was rather pished last night when he was telling me
Old 26 February 2006, 05:17 PM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

This one gives you an idea of the disctance between the engine and the remainder of the front half of Enzo

As we reported yesterday, Stefan Eriksson, former executive officer of Gizmondo and a convicted fraudster and liar, saw his $1,000,000 Ferrari Enzo smashed to pieces in a high speed crash in Malibu during an illegal street race.

Speaking exclusively to SPOnG today, investigating officers revealed some startling new details on the wreck. Not only has the suspected speed of the crash been upped to 162 MPH, but it turns out the car is possibly stolen property, exported unlawfully to the US and driven illegally on the roads of California.

“It looks as though the car lifted up and left the highway,” Sgt. Phil Brooks of Malibu Sheriff's Department explained. “That's what caused him to lose it. We're looking at the distances travelled, the wreckage and all of that and we've upped the speed to 162 MPH.”

Brooks outlined that he's fully aware of Eriksson's history. “I've gotten just about everything on him. The previous prison time, the $290,000,000 or maybe it's a different figure, the Mafia ties – even on some of his colleagues. Believe me, I've been taking calls from London, Sweden, everywhere on this. From the Gizmondo Caper...” And how does this look to Brooks? “They duped them for all their money and walked out.”

Continuing on the crash details themselves, Brooks continues, “We have to speak to all the witnesses and get their stories, compare the inconsistencies in [Eriksson's] statements and then reinterview him. And then if necessary we'll have to use physical evidence, possibly blood and collect that, if necessary.” Fingerprints too? “All things like that. But you know, the bottom line is he's looking at misdemeanour charges – not felonies. These are charges that would give him a year in county jail, though he'll 99.9% just get a fine. And someone who made $4,000,000 last year from what I'm told, a $1,000 fine isn't really going to do much to him. And the questions is, will the Sheriff's Department spend $500 on forensics for a $1,000 fine...”

Although it looks certain that Eriksson will escape with a slap on the wrist in the US, the further repercussions of so publicly planting himself on the radar might well catch up with him. Not least as, given the Gizmondo exec's history and emerging claims from a UK bank, the Enzo looks to be stolen.

“There are a lot of questions about ownership [of the Ferrari Enzo]. I have the Bank of Scotland telling me they own it. He brought this car and another Ferrari and an SLR Mercedes through customs. They're all show cars – they're not street-legal. So there's issues there but that has to do with crimes elsewhere and they're probably more financial.”

And it continues. According to investigating officers, the Enzo looks to have been illegally obtained in the first place. “Apparently there was some sort of fraudulent financing for it, and allegedly the Bank of Scotland repossessed the vehicle. I'm still awaiting paperwork from them but that appears to be the case.” So the Bank of Scotland tried to make good their legal repossession and Eriksson just shipped it the US? “Possibly. I don't know the time lines on that but yes, that's what it looks like. The car still had a European registration – nothing had been done to attempt to give it a Californian registration and he fully knew that he couldn't drive those cars on the street without that.”

So what next? Is it possible that you can have such an episode in your life and just walk away uninjured and completely free? “You can take the step and maybe we'll get him behind the wheel as the driver, the other misdemeanours, though, usually will be just a financial penalty.”
A spokesman explained that initial evidence pointed towards Eriksson driving the Ferrari himself, while over the blood-alcohol limit. “Both airbags deployed. The passenger had blood on his mouth, but only the driver's side airbag had blood on it. Not the passenger's side.”

another bit of footage: http://cbs2.com/local/local_story_053105535.html

Last edited by rb5 286; 26 February 2006 at 05:25 PM.
Old 26 February 2006, 08:01 PM
slim_boy_fat
Scooby Regular

He didn’t crash the car committed suicide after the guy put the chav wheels on it.

I mean, what a fecking gippo.