Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Whose owns or test drove a VXR?

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2006, 02:50 PM
alwong
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Whose owns or test drove a VXR?

I'm looking to change my Scooby to the VXR. I took one out for a 25 mile drive and thought it was excessively quick for a 2WD but liveable when you turn the sports mode off.

I've owned a 01 WRX, 53 STIPPP and now have an 03 WRX.

In my opinion, the VXR isn't as fun as the STI PPP in any department but I would say its more than a match for my WRX PPP once in gear.

Off the mark it won't fair well as it just wheel spins alot.
The main reason for the change is the maintenance costs and even the fule costs.

Does anyone have an opinion about the change? Would you? Have you ?
Old 03 February 2006, 04:38 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Just waiting for VXRBOY to come along any time now.............
Old 03 February 2006, 04:46 PM
Neil W
Scooby Regular

As my STi8 is coming upto 3 years old I am also now considering alternatives although I would like a new Sti.

I intend to test the VXR and I have a Focus ST this weekend for a test. I know they both wont be up to the STi performance but is there really that much difference day to day driving to work etc.. The only major difference I see is the cost saving!
Old 03 February 2006, 04:54 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Just waiting for VXRBOY to come along any time now.............
Somebody probably said that about me one day
Old 03 February 2006, 05:25 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

god no, we never had to wait
Old 03 February 2006, 08:28 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well after 9 scoobies I own one.

I do have an opinion as well.

If you didnt buy the VXR, what would you look at?

Once rolling the VXR is very quick in gear, but in takes a real man to plant the right foot on occasions. I would say its more fun than most Scoobies, but MUCH harder to drive quickly. It can be tricky to take off quickly, but its going to be a tuners dream and there will be some great conversions

I'm getting 29mpg and insurance is just over £400. Due to the small numbers they intend to sell, I think it will do OK on resale, IMHO its the best looking hot hatch out there. Its also well built, heavier infact than a Golf.

It is not the most perfect driving tool and my last car was a MKV GTI, which has all the write ups, but isnt as much fun as the VXR IMHO. The VXR is flawed fun if that makes sense.

Jonathan
Old 04 February 2006, 08:59 PM
VXRBOY
Scooby Regular

I agree with chins, VXR is a very good car all the time and astonishing at times. Feels much better built than either of my scoobies, and (i know there is probably going to posts saying i'm a ********) is actually quicker. It is quicker than a standard WRX (but what is'nt) It quicker than my last WRX with ecutech upgrade, and i bet would surprise a few STI's (reason being i once raced an STI in a standard WRX and he struggled to get that much room between us, and the VXR is quicker) IN the wet twisties i do not have as much confidence as in the scoob, but in the dry it is brilliant. Torque steer talk was all bollocks, there is a little but not that much, in fact you hardly notice it.
Looks are drop dead, there are hardly any about (which should help resale). If you want a more noticeble sound, get the miltek backbox for aroung 400 of the queens english. Can already get an upgrade to 340 bhp which i can only imagine would be mental.
In terms of running costs it will be cheaper to insure and service but if you give it the full beans with super unleaded it is probably about the same as the WRX.
You will be more than happy if you buy a VXR, I loved my scoobs despite all the bloody problems, but this is a much better car. The problem is that there is about a 6 month waiting list. Drove the Focus ST after ordering the VXR but before picking it up, and to tell you the truth it bored me. After going for a long drive in the VXR you just want to drive it some more.

Trending Topics

Old 04 February 2006, 10:24 PM
meganesport.net
Scooby Regular

you could just get a megane trophy, 350 quid remap and you've got a 270 bhp monster that will monster any vxr astra and keep company with most scoobies
Old 04 February 2006, 10:53 PM
andymar00
Scooby Regular

You can also map the VXR to 285 bhp and 412 Nm for £550
Old 05 February 2006, 12:38 AM
VXRBOY
Scooby Regular

The megane would fall to bits as well as looking **** on the way to trying to keep up with the VXR. And forget 270 if you read my post before upgrades already can get the VXR to 340 bhp
ps. the standard megane came bottom in all the tests i read about the hot hatches. Never driven one so cant speak from experience, but going from what someone on here said, he wants to find out what electrical system goes on holiday next and what bit of trim stats to rattle next.

Last edited by VXRBOY; 05 February 2006 at 12:42 AM.
Old 05 February 2006, 02:04 AM
crush her
Scooby Regular

I had a test drive today, only 35 mins so obviously i haven't got that much experience.

Well things I liked

Interior... Looks well put together
Looks......( like its on steroids! )

Didn't like

Throttle control, even when up and running it seemed to have flat spots.
Handling was strange, going around a corner, the steering went light, heavy, light, seemed a bit sh*t. Understeered for Great Britain too.
Brakes were fading by the end of the (spririted) drive.
Exhaust sound, could have been a nissan micra.

I'm sure VXRBOY will defend it to the death, but it wasn't for me.
Focus is next!
Old 05 February 2006, 08:48 AM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by crush her
I had a test drive today, only 35 mins so obviously i haven't got that much experience.

Well things I liked

Interior... Looks well put together
Looks......( like its on steroids! )

Didn't like

Throttle control, even when up and running it seemed to have flat spots.
Handling was strange, going around a corner, the steering went light, heavy, light, seemed a bit sh*t. Understeered for Great Britain too.
Brakes were fading by the end of the (spririted) drive.
Exhaust sound, could have been a nissan micra.

I'm sure VXRBOY will defend it to the death, but it wasn't for me.
Focus is next!
Interesting thoughts. I disagree a bit with VXRBOY as the VXR does have torque steer, but its not too bad.

I agree the steering can feel a little light and needs getting used to, but after a while its fine. What I would diagree with is the engine having flat spots and understeering for Britain - on that point you might need to look at your driving rather than the car.

Jonathan
Old 05 February 2006, 10:19 AM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
Somebody probably said that about me one day
nothing wrong with saxo's. i had one! when i was 18.....
Old 05 February 2006, 10:27 AM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

The VXR is nothin new though. Basically, the same engine as my 53 plate astra Gsi had, just with a remap. You see loads of these pushing well over 300 bhp, but it'll cost loads to get anywhere near that figure, hence why I got rid and got the scoob (plus the astra couldn't have been more boring if it tried).
So all this talk of 340 bhp in the VXR isn't anything that hasn't already been done on shed loads of occasions more than 2-3 years ago
Old 05 February 2006, 11:12 AM
VXRBOY
Scooby Regular

The VXR is a much better car than the old GSI, i used to have a coupe turbo which was the same as the GSI but looked better, yes it was not that exicting but this is totally different. Yes i will defend it to the death if your trying to compare it to a WRX, Understeer talk is bollocks, learn to drive! and the brakes on the VXR are better than the WRX. 35 mins!!!! you need more than that.
Old 05 February 2006, 01:17 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by VXRBOY
The VXR is a much better car than the old GSI, i used to have a coupe turbo which was the same as the GSI but looked better, yes it was not that exicting but this is totally different. Yes i will defend it to the death if your trying to compare it to a WRX, Understeer talk is bollocks, learn to drive! and the brakes on the VXR are better than the WRX. 35 mins!!!! you need more than that.
There just opinions mate, no need to get your back up. If you're happy then that's fine
Old 05 February 2006, 05:25 PM
marcus.s
Scooby Regular

If you're going to get something with VXR written on it get a Monaro. Discuss?
Old 05 February 2006, 05:42 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Really like the Monaro, looking at how they are going to hold their prices - might be a future purchase, but the big thing that scares me about the Monaro and the Astra is the sh*te dealers !
I'm hoping that they have improved from when many many year ago I had a Corsa GSI (hold head in shame) as a company hack but I'm not holding my breath, Even Evo had probems and mentioned this when taking their Monaro to the main dealer.

Richard
Old 06 February 2006, 09:51 AM
crush her
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chins
Interesting thoughts. I disagree a bit with VXRBOY as the VXR does have torque steer, but its not too bad.

I agree the steering can feel a little light and needs getting used to, but after a while its fine. What I would diagree with is the engine having flat spots and understeering for Britain - on that point you might need to look at your driving rather than the car.

Jonathan
The understeer only really seemed bad on tight S type bends where it just ploughed on, to be expected I suppose as it is a heavy car (and maybe bad driving from me). Engine flat spots could have been fuel type?
I was comparing to 2 cars, my own STI PPP and a 182 Cup (amazing handling) I had recently driven. Personally I thought the clio to be the most "fun" out of all of them.
Only an opinion, no need for anyone to get upset, it’s still a good car.
Old 06 February 2006, 05:23 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by crush her
The understeer only really seemed bad on tight S type bends where it just ploughed on, to be expected I suppose as it is a heavy car (and maybe bad driving from me). Engine flat spots could have been fuel type?
I was comparing to 2 cars, my own STI PPP and a 182 Cup (amazing handling) I had recently driven. Personally I thought the clio to be the most "fun" out of all of them.
Only an opinion, no need for anyone to get upset, it’s still a good car.
Dont worry not upset. I'm an ex STI PPP owner and 182 Cup. IMHO the 182 is the benchmark and the VXR has a bit of work needed to match it, but havnt seen lots of understeer yet - maybe a should try harder
Old 06 February 2006, 06:00 PM
mg driver
Scooby Regular

all this re map rubbish makes me laugh,from what ive read the vxr can barely handle the 240 it was designed with ,try re mapping to 270 or 340 and it will just be a totally undriveable joke good for nothing but high speed motorway stuff,totally beyond me why anyone takes a front driver over about 230 bhp.
Old 06 February 2006, 07:02 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by mg driver
all this re map rubbish makes me laugh,from what ive read the vxr can barely handle the 240 it was designed with ,try re mapping to 270 or 340 and it will just be a totally undriveable joke good for nothing but high speed motorway stuff,totally beyond me why anyone takes a front driver over about 230 bhp.
I agree and disagree!!

Using the current mapping style it cant handle more than 270, but it does cope with 240 - dont rely on spotty journalists in mags on manufacturer freebies.

If however they are rempaed with the same power in the lower gears, but 270+ in others, then it will be fine. LCR seem ok. Maybe if it was an MG I'd agree, but then 150 is their max due to the 1930 chassis technology

Jonathan
Old 28 February 2006, 02:05 PM
alwong
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks for all your replies.

The VXR's are going for 16.5k at a Vaxuhall dealer, so well worth the money.

Hopefully, i'll decide soon.
Old 28 February 2006, 02:17 PM
MTayler
Scooby Regular

Drove a Focus ST last night and was mightly impressed with the low down torque, picked up no probs from 1300 rpm in 2nd gear !.
The looks let the ST down on the outside compared to the VXR but the interior in the Focus is miles better than the VXR.
I did look into buying one or the other of these and I will have to admit I would have gone for the ST3 mainly because of cost and ease to live with.
However I bought my prodrive Impreza and kept the money in the bank and am chuffed to bits ( until it lets me down ! ) .

Mark.
Old 28 February 2006, 05:47 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

240bhp in a front wheel drive car is already pushing it let alone 285 bhp with a remap or 340bhp.

Does this car even have a differential?

Also a extra 45hp from a remap alone is a joke. Seriously thats what these companies tell you and sometimes it is true, but from a 2.0 turboed powerplant by GM I doubt. It will need more for such a powerspike.

If it was me I would wait a little longer as there are more hot hatches coming out very soon from honda and the VAG boys. But if you cant wait the astra is more chav and the ST is the better overall car but still kinda chav. Reckon you get better result after a remap on the ST.
Old 28 February 2006, 06:52 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AudiLover
. Reckon you get better result after a remap on the ST.
Not what I heard. The volvo lump is not easily tunable iirc
Old 28 February 2006, 08:25 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Much of the above is pure crap and speculation by the 'mine's better than yours' brigade, as many of the usernames suggest.

The VXR handles its power relatively well, better than you would expect, and a damn sight better than most fwd cars.

If mapped properly, rather than just increasing the boost, it could probably handle a little more power.

The chassis is quite sweet for a Vauxhall. It will understeer like a pig if you don't know how to drive front wheel driver properly, but you can make very fast progress if you know how to control it rather than just plant the throttle all the time.

Personally I wouldn't change from WRX to a VXR as they have a similar image and are quite similar cars. I would also expect the fuel consumption to be similar, and, I fear, the depreciation.
Old 28 February 2006, 09:25 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Talking

Looking at the first people remapping the VXR, then 280 looks like it will be the std and with lower boost in the lower gears, it could be ok.

I get 30mpg out of my VXR average. Depreciation will depend on how much you pay. Mine was under 17k and in three years it will still see 9k, so not bad at all.

Jonathan
Old 28 February 2006, 09:50 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chins
Looking at the first people remapping the VXR, then 280 looks like it will be the std and with lower boost in the lower gears, it could be ok.

I get 30mpg out of my VXR average. Depreciation will depend on how much you pay. Mine was under 17k and in three years it will still see 9k, so not bad at all.

Jonathan
In my eyes thats some steep depreciation. It would make me cry.
Old 28 February 2006, 10:51 PM
slim_boy_fat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AudiLover

Does this car even have a differential?
Given that ALL cars, buses trucks etc have them, im guessing you dont know what a differential is.

Quick Reply: Whose owns or test drove a VXR?