Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

TVE Cerbera

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2006, 04:30 AM
lowlander
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TVE Cerbera

TVR Cerbera 4.2. 12K budget. 1996-97 model. Everday use. Bargain or financial suicide?

Martin.
Old 30 January 2006, 08:12 AM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

Well I'd budget a few grand a year to sort problems out, really need to get from a main dealer if you can...

Just a few of my problems

Engine Auxillary shaft fractured
Aircon pipe split
Rear Anti Roll bar brkt fractured
Wipers failed
One of the bonnet pin retractors failed
Engine needed rebuild after going bang in a big way...

The AJP8 engine has to go back to TVR to get rebuilt and that process took 17 weeks.

I got the car back and then the starter motor jammed when I stopped for a drink about 20 miles down the road.

Apparently there are some good ones out there, but If I were to buy one again It would need to be bought from a mail dealer or one that has already had the engine rebuilt....

Plus points, you get looked at all the time, it's a car you feel great driving even when going slow..

Stupid straight line performance 0-100 in 9 secs and the 4.5 Litre can get to 150mph in 17 secs. Second gear makes your eye ***** rattle.

Feels stable at high speed too, fairly crude handling IMO but a pretty easy car to drive despite the horsepower.
Old 30 January 2006, 08:22 AM
ninjacost
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lowlander
TVR Cerbera 4.2. 12K budget. 1996-97 model. Everday use. Bargain or financial suicide?

Martin.
Not practical every day car, sold mine after 2 weeks ,probably need to budget for 3k a year to cover repairs ,if you still want one deffo dealers only ,give James Agger a try knows is stuff ,nice guy too.
Old 30 January 2006, 09:19 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

IMO a Chimaera is a better bet. Still very fast in 4.5 or 5.0 guise, but running costs are significantly lower than the Cerbera's.

On the other hand if you have the money, and are happy to spend it on maintaining the car, then a Cerbera would be a pretty serious bit of kit - and when you think it is basically a supercar and running costs are probably lower than other supercars, then it doesnt sound so bad!
Old 30 January 2006, 10:29 AM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ninjacost
Not practical every day car, sold mine after 2 weeks ,probably need to budget for 3k a year to cover repairs ,if you still want one deffo dealers only ,give James Agger a try knows is stuff ,nice guy too.

I used to use mine when it worked come rain or shine, the boot is very useable, don't expect to use the rear seats though, someone around 5ft could probably use them for a short journey but they are a waste of space really...
Old 30 January 2006, 08:35 PM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

we had a 4.0 chrimeara and it wasnt slow. We only had two problems, no dash lights and wiper motors that jammed on, nearly caught fire.

just one point though, they dont crash well, unfortunately through personal experience. TVR's are deffo show cars or american muscle draggers only. They can go round corners well, but i simply wouldnt risk it. Id prefer to crash the scooby at much higher speeds given the choice