Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Best 'sleeper' that got the better of you..

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2006, 01:05 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Best 'sleeper' that got the better of you..

Not around these parts much anymore but...

The best 'sleeper' or (sh1tbox for some.. old joke..) that has taken you by surprise... you can picture the scene... its an old. golf... **** me... still keeping up.... ****... just past me... I need a remap..

Standard sleeper got me in a stock STi classic... Fiat 20v Turbo...

Modded... Mk1 Golf 1.8T quattro...

Lets hear those stories from your more 'spirited' driving moments..
Old 20 January 2006, 01:31 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I raced an old ****ty cavalier once when I had my M3. He was 4 up, so it was easy picking - but I got to the side of him and that was that - I made no progress so backed off ! i figure it was a moddified turbo, but all the arches were hanging off it etc !

Other than that, i tend to drive sleepers. When i had my Volvo T5 [304hp remaped], i had a 996 C4 Cabriolet thinking he was brave, so i gave him a serious run for his money, which supprised him - lots ! And more recently in my 'fettled' Skoda Fabia, i had a very supprised blob eye STI owner !
Old 20 January 2006, 02:32 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sheddy Maestro van on Anglessey, went past my Manta GTE like it was stood still, I mean the Manta wasn't a quick car but it should have been quicker than a n ex GPO Maestro, I suspect somebody with a sense of humour transpanted in a Montego turbo unit and welded the wastegate shut.
Old 20 January 2006, 05:06 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Riding in my brothers old UK turbo and pulled out on to dual carriageway . Noticing that he slight cut up a capri my brother accelerates to make a bit of a gap.
Capri still there.
Drops a cog a boots it.
Capri still there.
We are now doing silly speeds
Capri still there.
up to an indicated 150mph (in Germany obviously)
Capri still there.

Slowed down and came to some roadworks and the Capri pulls along side and that's when I notice the Tickford badge.
Bloody quick old barge
Old 20 January 2006, 05:29 PM
SJJ84
Scooby Regular

one of my mates built a 2 litre 16v nova last year, was a merit model, looked standard complete with steel wheels. That surprised a few people, and cheap as chips.
Old 20 January 2006, 06:17 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SCOOBYD00

Standard sleeper got me in a stock STi classic... Fiat 20v Turbo...
lol I wouldn't exactly call a fiat coupe a sleeper looks wise :P
Old 20 January 2006, 06:17 PM
www.GT4oc.com
Scooby Regular

I reckon the Fensport Corolla would be the ultimate sleeper.. looks pretty much standard and 700bhp with a 1/4 mile of 10.3 secs!
Old 20 January 2006, 07:01 PM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

I was once burned by a three wheeler - I was doing 80 and he overtook me and about three other cars up a steep hill like a superbike on full throttle ...came and went in about 3 seconds...
Old 20 January 2006, 08:11 PM
Dave uk blue mica
Scooby Regular

i owned a Cavalier GSI a few years ago that had a turbo engine and 6 speed gearbox in it and the car was 2 wheel drive, looked like a standard cav GSI and had fun beating everything in it!!!
Old 20 January 2006, 08:20 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

there is an old astra mk2 lurking near the plymouth area that is pushing out over 300 bhp. i used to love my laguna 3l v6 , looked like a plain old grandad mobile but was pushing out just over 200bhp
Old 20 January 2006, 08:32 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

POS cavalier on the road from derby to donnington park. god knows what he had under the bonnet, but it was fast!!
Old 20 January 2006, 11:02 PM
ninjacost
Scooby Regular

Tranny van !! no seriously in my tsl 333 bugeye didn't pass him till well into 3 figures (private road may i add) not sure what it was running, suspect modded cosworth ? every time he changed up 3 foot flames out of exhausts looked absolutley crap as well lol
Old 21 January 2006, 12:10 AM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

A Nova GSi on the ahem, autobahn, last year, kept up with me (standard 98 Turbo) over 130. Although I wasn't getting everything out of the subaru, he was giving me a good run. The most worrying thing was that he was so proud of the speed his old Nova could reach, he kept waving and smiling at us with one hand on the wheel and no eyes on the road! At that point I left him to it!
Old 21 January 2006, 02:24 AM
fallwood
Scooby Regular

Had an old hyundai coupe turbo years ago, managed to squeeze nearly 250bhp out of the tiny 1.5 engine , in the dry it was absolutely mental fast, in the wet it was absolutely mental scary,. Used to love blowing away all the suposedly fast cars of that time.

ps. Got wasted by a hillman imp when I had my ITR , f**k knows what he had under the bonnet (or in the boot should I say)

Last edited by fallwood; 21 January 2006 at 02:27 AM.
Old 21 January 2006, 07:04 AM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fallwood
Had an old hyundai coupe turbo years ago, managed to squeeze nearly 250bhp out of the tiny 1.5 engine , in the dry it was absolutely mental fast, in the wet it was absolutely mental scary,. Used to love blowing away all the suposedly fast cars of that time.

ps. Got wasted by a hillman imp when I had my ITR , f**k knows what he had under the bonnet (or in the boot should I say)
Hillman Imps don't weigh much and a competition engine will rev to 10 or 11k rpm

Or he had a Porsche engine shoe-horned in there!
Old 21 January 2006, 08:48 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Never been caught out by a sleeper, but when I was younger I had a Mini that was red and hand-painted satin black (new panels that I never got around to respraying) and ran on 10" Alcan alloys. It looked a mess but the engine was bored out to 74mm and had an offset ground crank which gave it arond 1425-1430cc. To top it off, it had hi-lift rockers and a stage 3 modded MG Metro head and (at the time) a single 1 3/4" SU carb. It only used to rev to 5000rpm but because it had a Metro gearbox it was flat out by 115mph and was torquey as hell (I never needed to change down to overtake).

At the time, the Cavalier GSI 2000 was one of the more desirable new cars around and I found myself alongside a brand new one at a set of lights on a dual carriageway. We both floored it at the green light and we stayed alongside each other all the way up to my top speed. I kept glancing across at him and he was wetting himself laughing but couldn't go any faster.
Old 21 January 2006, 09:38 AM
CC
Scooby Regular

Got made to look like i was going backwards by a big audi estate, called RS4 or something , knew little about them at that time. I had 260bhp WRX.
Old 21 January 2006, 10:29 AM
kammy
Scooby Regular

I got beat by a Clio 172, and they are proper slow cars.
I mean...a clio...faster than me....??? WTF! I must have had a mis-fire or heat build up..
Old 21 January 2006, 10:43 AM
Mr Power
Scooby Regular

Well i am always getting a beating in my STI!
Just last week i got beat by a CTR, clio 172, VRS, and a Cupra R.
To put the iceing on the cake i also got beat by a 205 GTI. I tell ya...it went past me like i was standing still. It must have had an induction kit on because it was like a rocket ship, super quick they are!!

Oh hang on.......thats my alarm clock i hear. Must have been having a nightmare. I think i have been reading "Other Marques" forum too much!
Old 23 January 2006, 08:45 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CC
Got made to look like i was going backwards by a big audi estate, called RS4 or something , knew little about them at that time. I had 260bhp WRX.
ive had this as well, pulled up along side him at some lights, red amber gone.....
I was gutted thought there was something seriously wrong with my car, then my neighbour told me it was an rs4 and they make most things look as though they are going backwards!!
Old 25 January 2006, 02:11 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

My mate used to blab on about how his S6 was such a sleeper, one day he booted it out of the town. A volvo s40 i think, passed us with ease.

Had to hold my self off busting out in hysterics, he was proper upset.

Dave
Old 25 January 2006, 02:26 AM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

In my old MY99 Turbo... lightly modded, 13.3 on the 1/4 mile, off the clock top speed.... I came off a roundabout onto a Dual Carriageway up a gentle hill with my mate in the car and this powder blue/turquoise Nova came flying off behind me.

I laughed, told my mate to watch me waste him....

For the next 20 mins I tried my hardest to outdrive him on twisty b-roads, its probably one of the hardest drives I ever did in that car; and that car got an awful lot of abuse (2 x bottom ends in 8 months of ownership).

We eventually pulled over and he told me that it was a tuned Courtney Converted 1.6 Turbo engine putting out 200bhp... Still a bit disappointed though, really hoping he was gonna tell me it was a 300bhp 2.0 Turbo!!

Cheers,
Grant
Old 25 January 2006, 04:21 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

That's probably the same nitroused one that runs into the low13's high 12's at crail...

Possibly
Old 25 January 2006, 05:38 AM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

Got well duffed up by an RS6, can't really tell what they are from a small distance away
Also know of 205GTi running 1.6 badges but actually has a very rare T16 motor shoehorned into it left a mates P1 sitting at "ahem" speeds

John.
Old 25 January 2006, 03:17 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

The Nova I think you mean is the Imperial Blue 2.0 16v with NOS from Dundee... I raced him at Crail in the same MY99 and just beat him over the line when I ran a 13.3... The NOS bottle was empty, so that was purely "real" power he had.

Have also heard rumours that he's building a faster one with c400bhp including NOS, will be fun to see him try and find traction!!

That was the colour of the one that raced me... Definitely not the kind of colour that blends into the crowd!!

Cheers,
Grant
Old 25 January 2006, 04:16 PM
WRX Blues
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5_245
My mate used to blab on about how his S6 was such a sleeper, one day he booted it out of the town. A volvo s40 i think, passed us with ease.

Had to hold my self off busting out in hysterics, he was proper upset.

Dave
S40's can be nippy - I had one for a year between scoobs - with downpipe, sports cat and Blitz Boost Controller running 1.25 bar and cossie injectors the thing was wild! Useless at getting off the mark and loads of torque still but virtually unthouchable at 40/50+!!!
Old 25 January 2006, 04:33 PM
scoobypeterpump
Scooby Regular

I Was Going Along The A48 In The Outside Lane.I Could See A Old Ford Mondeo Coming Up Behind Me At A Decent Speed. So I Put My Foot Down To About 85Mph.Next Thing He Tries Taking Me On The Inside
So I Floor's It Now Going Around 110mph And This Mondeo Comes Flying Past As Though I Am Not Even There I Was absolutely Gutted.
Old 25 January 2006, 04:52 PM
danr
Scooby Newbie

bmw m5. About a month ago.

i did not know somthing that size was so fast i turned on to the a24 (dual carridge way) and over took some old doddler in my 2, i am at this stage doin the speed limit and then i saw a big, big grille leaning on my spoiler and he had the gaul to flash his lights so not wanting to be a smear like all the bugs on the front of his car i moved into the slower lane, and it whizzed by with some alfa giving chase so i thought i would play got uup to a serious pace do not have a road angel so cant say exactly what speed (but i was scared) after i was following closely for about a min he waved and left pushing forward from *15 like it was stationary which left me and the alfa staring at one another coughing on a dusty cloud never seen somthing move so bloody fast, stopped playing after that was very embarassed
Old 25 January 2006, 04:54 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

Didnt lose but was very impressed with a run in with a Maroon Coloured Clio in chelmsford a few months ago...

sounded like it'd had some serious work done to it, stripped out, roll cage etc..

i was in a classic JDM STi so hats of to him for even nearly staying with me!
Old 25 January 2006, 05:28 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by RS Grant
The Nova I think you mean is the Imperial Blue 2.0 16v with NOS from Dundee... I raced him at Crail in the same MY99 and just beat him over the line when I ran a 13.3... The NOS bottle was empty, so that was purely "real" power he had.

Have also heard rumours that he's building a faster one with c400bhp including NOS, will be fun to see him try and find traction!!

That was the colour of the one that raced me... Definitely not the kind of colour that blends into the crowd!!

Cheers,
Grant
Now I see how you could have been beaten, that must be a pretty trick nova, what with the porsche body kit and all

Dave

Quick Reply: Best 'sleeper' that got the better of you..