Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

trackday tips needed!

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2006, 11:30 PM
ScoobywagonGl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trackday tips needed!

Hiya all I am doing my first trackday this coming sunday at Silverstone I believe it is the grand prix circuit. However i will have a lot more power than I am used to as I will be driving a Maserati Ghibli which is also a left hooker ... does anyone have any useful tips for me?
I've never been scared in a car before but this could change after sunday
thnks in advance
Tams
Old 16 January 2006, 11:37 PM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds

Build up your speed slowly as you feel comfortable and do not out brake your self.
Old 16 January 2006, 11:40 PM
ScoobywagonGl
Scooby Regular

he speed isn't too much of a problem for me but i think its knowing where to brake and how hard to turn etc? how do i figure this out? or is it purely judgement?
cheers
Old 16 January 2006, 11:47 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

You wanna be worried about managing to get back to the pits in a Maserati
Old 16 January 2006, 11:48 PM
ScoobywagonGl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SPEN555
You wanna be worried about managing to get back to the pits in a Maserati
Not let us down once in the 3 years Auto Italia and it also saves me smashing up my scoob if i stick it in the kitty litter
Old 17 January 2006, 12:10 AM
rallycol
Scooby Regular

Take someone out with you who's experienced and LISTEN !!
Old 17 January 2006, 12:14 AM
ScoobywagonGl
Scooby Regular

the owner of the car who races it normally for auto italia will be in the car with me so hoping he wont do anything stupid
definately going to be a good day
Old 17 January 2006, 09:48 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Go at your own pace. Silverstone isn't too complicated, but is fast, so be careful you don't out brake yourself. Try to do one thing at a time also [braking / steering etc], it seems obvious, but you need to ensure stability at all times.

In addition, try not to 'rag' the car too much, be sympathetic and enjoy it.

P.S If you suffer from the old red mist - have a word with yourself before you get in the car

Good luck

Andy
Old 17 January 2006, 12:57 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Firstly, ensure that you have any relevant insurance that you may require for the car and yourself if required. On the day the first thing will be signing on and briefing. Listen carefully and make sure you understand all the rules about overtaking and the flags. If you are unsure ask one of the instructors.

Before you get in the car have a good look around it. As its a race car everything should have been spanner checked before the event but its good to have a little look around. Also familiarise youserlf with the layout of the door handles and things like the power cut off and fire extinguisher. Remember if anything goes wrong you might not have someone to help you for upto a minute or so. Also be familiar with the operation of all the devices like harnesses. Sit in the car and get in and out 3 times each time doing all your belts up and then calmly getting out again.

If your instructor is a racer then he will give you loads of advice on the day re the driving and how to build up etc so no point in me going into detail. I have given tuition to people in your position and they are often very nervous etc but by the lunch break they have good pace, nice lines and are starting to explore the rev range a bit more and feeling what the car is doing nearer to the limit. But then I have also been in a position where my client has stuffed it into the barrier so just remember to respect the track and your instructor.
Old 17 January 2006, 04:47 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

As has been said plus make sure you cool the car down properly before you come off the track and dont put the handbrake on for a while. Maybe even a 5 min run up the road and back to make sure the brakes are properly cooled. Take a chock of wood so you can leave the handbrake off all day.

Mechanical sympathy, dont go banging down more gears than you need to, you will be quicker driving through a corner in 4th than nailing 3rd on the way in, squeeling your way round then accelerating out.

Most importantly keep your eye in the rear view mirror, if something catches you its quicker, DO NOT try to race it, its behind because its quicker. Move out of its way, let it get on with its lap and you can do the same. DO NOT re-overtake the car on the next straight if you have more power than him. Come the next complex of corners he will be on your **** again getting frustrated. Ease back a little on the straight and let him get away.

Most important of all ..........enjoy yourself, its supposed to be fun.

Gary
Old 17 January 2006, 05:44 PM
ScoobywagonGl
Scooby Regular

Brilliant thanks for the advice everyone its really appreciated. I know the car inside and out as I have worked on this car a few times at previous races. but i feel there is a difference as to knowing the car and driving it round a track as I am only used to a 1.8gl and now going to a cup ghibli then im sure the nerves will hit me before the race
Thanx again
I will let you know how it went on sunday ... providing i don't kill myself
Old 17 January 2006, 06:38 PM
ScoobywagonGl
Scooby Regular

pics of the car although quite old pics

This is the other one which is being worked on at the moment ready for race season
Old 17 January 2006, 06:52 PM
lasergrap
Scooby Newbie

Default Maserati Ghibli Open Cup Touring Cars :-)

Maserati Ghibli Open Cup Touring Cars -- Easy to drive - Use full throttle there are only 2 real throttle positions full open or full closed.
If your not on full throttle then you should be on full brakes

Dont try and be clever with the brakes fly at the corner till your scared then wait on second and stand on the brakes like your life depends on it as you turn in

As soon as you see the clean line past the apex then full throttle to spin up the blowers and then its clear to go.

Remeber its only going to do 8 or 10 laps on a full tank so dont run out of gas on the circuit !
Old 17 January 2006, 06:58 PM
ScoobywagonGl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lasergrap
Maserati Ghibli Open Cup Touring Cars -- Easy to drive - Use full throttle there are only 2 real throttle positions full open or full closed.
If your not on full throttle then you should be on full brakes

Dont try and be clever with the brakes fly at the corner till your scared then wait on second and stand on the brakes like your life depends on it as you turn in

As soon as you see the clean line past the apex then full throttle to spin up the blowers and then its clear to go.

Remeber its only going to do 8 or 10 laps on a full tank so dont run out of gas on the circuit !
Try to be clever nah not me will be too nervous!
as for petrol thats your job to supply enough so i dont break down
See you on saturday
Old 17 January 2006, 07:31 PM
terryb
Scooby Regular

You'll be fine Tams - looks like you'll be in experienced hands - so don't worry and just enjoy it
Old 17 January 2006, 07:36 PM
ScoobywagonGl
Scooby Regular

Thanks Terry
Old 17 January 2006, 07:41 PM
lasergrap
Scooby Newbie

Toots remember its got Bosch Racing ABS so dont try and be Toots Schumacher its got a F****** good braking computer so use it :-) ! ! ! !

Stu X X X X X X X X X