Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Honda's - CRX VTEC in particular

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2006, 11:50 PM
swtmerce
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda's - CRX VTEC in particular

I used to have a 1990 CRX VTEC and I thought that motor was outrageous! The kick after 6k rpm! WOW. I have a scoob now and it actually reminds me of the CRX. Anyone think the CRX is so worthy? I remember racing a Renault Alpine on the local bypass road - OK on the straights it pulled away but when the roundabouts came, I was right back in there!! Any other ex-CRX owners with some stories???
Old 15 January 2006, 01:16 AM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

No, but got beaten in both my EK Civic VTi and EG Civic VTi by a couple of CRX VT's up the 1/4 mile.... Very quick, very light....

Only ever been in a non-VTEC CRX round some twisty back roads, but can safely say it is a great handling car.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 15 January 2006, 01:02 PM
kammy
Scooby Regular

The 16valvers are better balanced Lighter etc.
Top motors, but get bummed by owners etc. I have had two, great cars, but dont get carried away-its no rally monster.

Any excuse:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...5/DCP_0130.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/v330/k...t=DCP_0102.jpg

Last edited by kammy; 15 January 2006 at 01:07 PM.
Old 15 January 2006, 01:20 PM
swtmerce
Scooby Regular

I must admit, when I had mine many moons ago - it was a 1990 CRX VTEC - my mate had a Civic 1.6i-16 (i.e. not VTEC) of the same age. Although mine felt a lot faster (VTEC 'boost' giving same effect as a turbo boost) we were pretty much neck and neck on drag races. Then we both upgraded by fitting a full suspension kit and 16" wheels. Then it all fell apart for me. Whereas his machine's handling improved a lot, mine fell apart. It was all too hard for the road and it would bounce around corners!
Old 15 January 2006, 02:49 PM
Dan J
Scooby Regular

Still the best car in terms of fun I've yet owned. Had a '91 Celestial Blue VTEC before the Scoob, loved it. Had it for 7 years. The sound of the engine on full song was heaven and it handled like a go kart, so controllable! Looked the part too on some nice 16"s and eibachs all round.
Old 15 January 2006, 04:27 PM
swtmerce
Scooby Regular

Yes Dan J - back then, they really did look the part with the lowering and 16" wheels. Mine was silver and I had Alessio five spokes. I got the opportunity to take this car to Oulton Park for a Max Power event. Since I went there as part of a Honda club (can't remember the name of the club but I do remember the head guy - Alan Tang - and his sweet Civic VTi with the best sounding induction/exhaust ever) we all got to go on the track with instructors for free! Will never forget how well it handled on the track (compared to how bad it was on the road!) and how the Audi Coupe 2.8 Quattro I was following just couldn't shake me. Ahhh the memories. Luckily, now that I'm a scoob owner, I'll be able to create memories just as good!