Anyone driven one?

Interested in your thoughts.
Old 11 January 2006, 09:16 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drive one at the weekend.
Performance wise, loved it.
It has the best steering wheel I've ever held. The seats (leather recaros') were snug as you like.
Having driven the Focus RS and heard reports about the VXR torque steering I was expecting a wild beast but I can say that the VXR has minimal torque steer.
Cabin was fine (the one I drove had sat-nav as well) nothing really special but it felt solid and screwed together well.
The only disappointment with the VXR is that aurally it's absolute pants. There is NO turbo whistle and the exhaust note is hard to hear and when you can it is hardly inspiring. Having said that, if you want a performance car without the spanking on your ears the VXR would suit you.
It's VERY deceptive about how fast you're going as well. Cause it's so quiet it's easy to sneak up to a speed that's highly illegal!
Oh and editted to add, I was driving it how I would 'most' of the time and was averaging between 25mpg and 30mpg.
I've not driven an ST or a GTi so can't compare it to them, but I did have a Leon Cupra R with a 260bhp remap and the VXR was leagues ahead of it

Last edited by Neanderthal; 11 January 2006 at 09:21 AM.
Old 11 January 2006, 11:23 AM
VXRBOY
Scooby Regular

Yes i got one just before christmas after upgrading from my wrx, i agree with the last post, it is very fast but you really have to watch the speedo cos it is deceptive because its quiet. looks ace handles brilliantly. Much better built than the Subaru's and the Astra Turbo Coupe i had before that. Brakes better and the seats, interior does look eighties either. The i do miss about the scooby though. Yet when you give it the beans in the VXR you do hear the strange whoosh/ high pressure water sound. And if you want the sound you can purchase a new back box from miltech, of the full system which gives you more power as well.
Butthe fuel economy is not good at all when you push it.
Old 11 January 2006, 11:30 AM
sgcooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by VXRBOY
Yes i got one just before christmas after upgrading from my wrx, i agree with the last post, it is very fast but you really have to watch the speedo cos it is deceptive because its quiet. looks ace handles brilliantly. Much better built than the Subaru's and the Astra Turbo Coupe i had before that. Brakes better and the seats, interior does look eighties either. The i do miss about the scooby though. Yet when you give it the beans in the VXR you do hear the strange whoosh/ high pressure water sound. And if you want the sound you can purchase a new back box from miltech, of the full system which gives you more power as well.
Butthe fuel economy is not good at all when you push it.
Upgrading LOL. Downgrading i think you mean.
Old 11 January 2006, 12:39 PM
VXRBOY
Scooby Regular

No i really mean upgrading
Old 11 January 2006, 01:04 PM
sgcooby
Scooby Regular

No i really mean upgrading
No one upgrades to a cheaper car mate. Especially an astra.
Old 11 January 2006, 01:29 PM
VXRBOY
Scooby Regular

If i had not got a partners discount the VXR would have been 21k, and even without the extras you can pick up a new 05 or 06 wrx for around 17k, which is still less than the VXR. Plus it is an upgrade if its a better car
Old 11 January 2006, 01:35 PM
fromage
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sgcooby
No one upgrades to a cheaper car mate. Especially an astra.
They do if its a better car
Old 11 January 2006, 01:35 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Mind if I link this thread to the WRX v VXR thread which was running a couple of days ago. At last we have someone with a decent input
Old 11 January 2006, 01:48 PM
John57
Scooby Regular

It's nice to hear views from people who have driven or own the VXR.

I don't go on the looks compared to the ST but would love to have a go in one nonetheless ..... having said that I'm not in the market so best I don't !
Old 11 January 2006, 01:50 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Personally I think its a nice looking car. When I looked at it at Autosport last year it had lovely red leather seats in it........Are they standard?
Old 11 January 2006, 01:57 PM
VXRBOY
Scooby Regular

I was the one who originally posted the VXR comment on another forum and someone picked up on it and posted it on Scoobynet. I have said most things already gutmann. But some people dont listen and fly of the handle if you suggest that the Scooby is not the best car in the world.

Thank for being honest and saying that you cant comment until you've driven both. But the red seats are not standard they were just for the showcar, the seats are the same recaro but in half and half or all blackish leather, designed for the astra
Old 11 January 2006, 02:17 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

I do fancy driving the VXR, ST and Golf GTi back to back - to try and stop me from going to a BMW. However, the new Civic Type R is reported to be looking at 250bhp (Top Gear Mag) so I may hang on to have a look at that!

Steve

PS Imprezas are fast enough - and in many instances faster than the new breed of hot hatch (with the exception of the Clio 182 Cup ), but they simply are not nice places to sit anymore when you look at the competition (with the exception of the Clio ).
Old 11 January 2006, 02:19 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Shame the seats aren't standard, they looked very nice indeed.

I get slated loads for my constructive opinions but hey i've got thick skin so I dont let it bother me. Plus it adds to the enjoyment of this place for me

If I had £20K to spend on a new car of that ilk it would be a hard decision between the Astra and an ST focus. The WRX doesnt come into the picture for me, but thats because I own an STi

Gary
Old 11 January 2006, 02:33 PM
VXRBOY
Scooby Regular

The seats were nice but it was the fact that the rest of the cabin was the same red leather that made it look a bit garish.
Old 11 January 2006, 02:34 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Didnt look that closely.
Old 11 January 2006, 03:04 PM
sgcooby
Scooby Regular

I was the one who originally posted the VXR comment on another forum and someone picked up on it and posted it on Scoobynet. I have said most things already gutmann. "But some people dont listen and fly of the handle if you suggest that the Scooby is not the best car in the world. "

Thank for being honest and saying that you cant comment until you've driven both. But the red seats are not standard they were just for the showcar, the seats are the same recaro but in half and half or all blackish leather, designed for the astra
Dont start that rubbish again. The only people that ever make these stupid statements is non-impreza owners. Just because some feel their scoob is better than the VXR, which is justified and as it happens most other sources do also, does not mean we feel our car is the best in the world.
Old 11 January 2006, 03:06 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Dont start that rubbish again. The only people that ever make these stupid statements is non-impreza owners. Just because some feel their scoob is better than the VXR, which is justified and as it happens most other sources do also, does not mean we feel our car is the best in the world.

If you dont like it, dont reply, easy
Old 11 January 2006, 03:10 PM
sgcooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
If you dont like it, dont reply, easy
No different than anyones posts i think you will find. You have an opinion so you post it. If i feel someone is speaking pish then ill respond. Unfortunately all you seem to do is speak pish rather than actually post anything constructive. Looking at your quote above, why would you bother posting such a lame *** statement.
Old 11 January 2006, 03:13 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

No different to anyone who hasn't owned both is what you mean I guess?
Old 11 January 2006, 03:18 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I still think anything over 200bhp thru the front wheels is OTT for road use. You'll be replacing tyres every 6k miles!
Old 11 January 2006, 03:21 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
I still think anything over 200bhp thru the front wheels is OTT for road use. You'll be replacing tyres every 6k miles!
You are probably right with that comment in fairness, but at least you are only changing 2 at a time
Old 11 January 2006, 03:21 PM
sgcooby
Scooby Regular

No different to anyone who hasn't owned both is what you mean I guess?
I actually think you dont know what your on about yourself mate. My comments were in reference to the stupid statements made about what scoob owners think. I own a scoob and so am more than qualified to comment. If you check a lot of my previous posts to various threads on the vxr / wrx thing you will find i actually think that the VXR would be quicker than the WRX in a straight line and that all the wet twisties and fractions of seconds here or there are irrelevent and that its how a car feels to that individual which is the main reason someone buys a car. Any other comments I made where based on reviews of the cars which all favour the scoob and put the VXR last in its class behind the ST, GTI and meganne. So you dont have to have owned both cars to make the comments I have. OK mate.
Old 11 January 2006, 03:34 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Getting back on track

The original thread was started by someone saying his VXR was quicker than his old WRX. The thread then went into wet twisty and torque steer mode losing its track big time.
The guy in question has now posted in the other marque forum with his view on the car and how he thinks its a great car and an upgrade from his old WRX.

I happen to agree that the VXR is a great looking car and probably better than a WRX.

You dont like my comments and thats your perogative. I couldnt care less though .....

OK MATE
Old 11 January 2006, 03:45 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Just so I don't get caught up in the crossfire , my comments were made from driving the cars. I've read loads of reviews about the VXR and it's torque steer'iness but to be honest I never noticed it, certainly no where near the Focus RS like I was expecting given the reviewers comments on it.
I've not driven either the Golf or ST though, they might be better than the VXR....
Old 11 January 2006, 03:51 PM
VXRBOY
Scooby Regular

Gutmann is right, i did not come on here bragging about the VXR i said it on another forum, and the original quote was that it was faster and overall a better car, until you have driven one, you will never know. (that's unless you get blitzed by one soon on the road.)
And as for the reviews, i take it you did not see the original Autocar review or the group test in Test Drive, in both the VXR destroyed the others.

Honestly tell me when the last time you overtook a 5 series and thought oh that is a more comfy car to drive (i'm betting none) and that is the kind of thing that the reviews your talking about sgcooby have said! one review actually said that the golf was good because it had red piping around the grill

Also the renault has been slated by every review i have seen, and none has put them against a scoob because it is not a hot hatch

This is an informed opinion as a have owned two new scoobies, an astra turbo coupe and the Vxr in the last 5 years, amongst other second cars. So i am not talking out my **** and blindly defending it as some are doing here.

As an afterthought, why will the VXR be bad in bends exactly, teh chassis is sorted and Lotus have done the handling as well as the car being designed for UK roads.

Last edited by VXRBOY; 11 January 2006 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11 January 2006, 04:03 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

VXRBoy, did you go for the active dampers or whatever they're called?
I've read that the standard VXR suspension and the standard 18" alloys are considered by Lotus to be the best?
Old 11 January 2006, 04:15 PM
sgcooby
Scooby Regular

Getting back on track

The original thread was started by someone saying his VXR was quicker than his old WRX. The thread then went into wet twisty and torque steer mode losing its track big time.
The guy in question has now posted in the other marque forum with his view on the car and how he thinks its a great car and an upgrade from his old WRX.

I happen to agree that the VXR is a great looking car and probably better than a WRX.

You dont like my comments and thats your perogative. I couldnt care less though .....

OK MATE
It was your usual pointless, irrelevant comments i was reffering to. Like when you say stupid things like' if you dont like it dont reply.' And then when you try and make a point along the lines of ' you can only have a valid opinion when you have owned both cars' when in fact my post was nothing do to with the VXR but in fact about several peoples opinions of scoob owners. As i said i am a scoob owner so i replid. Please make sure your replies actually are relevant the the post you are responding to.

Just because i havent owned a VXR doesnt mean i cant express an opinion. Most people use reviews etc to make a judgement on which car they will purchase and going on the strength of these all the ones i have read or seen do not rate the VXR. The GTI or ST nearly allways comes out on top and i havent heard any good things from a renowned magazine or TV programme to suggest otherwise. In fact all the ones ive seen criticise its handling and grip etc.

I was initially very positive about the VXR but why put a post up stating your opinions about one car against another and then moan like a bairn when you get some negative responses because, unbelievable as it may seem, not everyone shares your opinion. And just because youve owned or driven one it doesnt make you right and just because you like it over the WRX it doesnt make it the better car. If everyone agreed with your opinion it would be a pretty pointless forum.
Old 11 January 2006, 04:17 PM
VXRBOY
Scooby Regular

No i got the 19's and IDS+ they look well better, Lotus did say that the standard car was sound as it was but said if you get the bigger wheels to get the active damper set up so i did.
Old 11 January 2006, 04:19 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

It was your usual pointless, irrelevant comments i was reffering to. Like when you say stupid things like' if you dont like it dont reply.' And then when you try and make a point along the lines of ' you can only have a valid opinion when you have owned both cars' when in fact my post was nothing do to with the VXR but in fact about several peoples opinions of scoob owners. As i said i am a scoob owner so i replid. Please make sure your replies actually are relevant the the post you are responding to.

Just because i havent owned a VXR doesnt mean i cant express an opinion. Most people use reviews etc to make a judgement on which car they will purchase and going on the strength of these all the ones i have read or seen do not rate the VXR. The GTI or ST nearly allways comes out on top and i havent heard any good things from a renowned magazine or TV programme to suggest otherwise. In fact all the ones ive seen criticise its handling and grip etc.

I was initially very positive about the VXR but why put a post up stating your opinions about one car against another and then moan like a bairn when you get some negative responses because, unbelievable as it may seem, not everyone shares your opinion. And just because youve owned or driven one it doesnt make you right and just because you like it over the WRX it doesnt make it the better car. If everyone agreed with your opinion it would be a pretty pointless forum.

If you dont like me why waste your time writting such long replies, because I can assure you, you are wasting your time. Face / bothered

Quick Reply: Astra VXR