Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

mr 2 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2006, 08:22 PM
rexabusa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mr 2 turbo

anyone had the experiance of a mr2 turbo , good points bad points what to watch for ect ect . think my scooby days are over and fancy some rwd action. i know they are hairdressers cars but i dont care.(better than chav image) cheers
Old 09 January 2006, 09:03 PM
sadako
Scooby Newbie

Since i'm in passing you might want to drop in on IMOC.co.uk. I'm a Mk1 driver so I cant help but I'm sure someone there will have more information for you. It is also quite likely some members are also either scoob owners or former owners so should be able to give you a comparison.
Old 09 January 2006, 09:12 PM
rexabusa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sadako
Since i'm in passing you might want to drop in on IMOC.co.uk. I'm a Mk1 driver so I cant help but I'm sure someone there will have more information for you. It is also quite likely some members are also either scoob owners or former owners so should be able to give you a comparison.

cheers mate
Old 09 January 2006, 09:12 PM
gazbrook
Scooby Regular

My mate had one.

Good points extremely fast acceleration, beating two classic Subarus no problems. They look good for their age and also the stealth look as most people think that they are just the 150 bhp n/a version to look at. Very Very easy to do donuts in (if thats what you are after)

Bad points Limited to 112 or 120mph ? My mates engine blew up after getting it de- restricted (bad luck maybe?) Pretty dangerous in the wet due to rear wheel drive and lots of power.

If you get a good one I think you will be very happy.
Old 09 January 2006, 09:37 PM
rexabusa
Scooby Regular

sounds good , what they worth these days
Old 09 January 2006, 09:40 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gazbrook
My mate had one.

Good points extremely fast acceleration, beating two classic Subarus no problems. They look good for their age and also the stealth look as most people think that they are just the 150 bhp n/a version to look at. Very Very easy to do donuts in (if thats what you are after)

Bad points Limited to 112 or 120mph ? My mates engine blew up after getting it de- restricted (bad luck maybe?) Pretty dangerous in the wet due to rear wheel drive and lots of power.

ok u havent got a clue what ur talking about, they do NOT do donuts very easily at all!no lsd and too much weight at rear.. bad points limited to 112mph!?lol, its a jap man thats the way it is,and ur mates engine didnt blow up because he got it derestricted!

good points are that its toyota so its reliable,fast enough car,220bhp or so(and the n/a version is 165bhp).still look good and get looks..
bas points are very dodgy handling car indeed especially in the wet.

and i dont know what classics ur referring to cos they sure as hell wouldnt take an sti
Old 09 January 2006, 09:56 PM
rexabusa
Scooby Regular

yes i think i seen that vid where the sti + mr2 1/4 mile it and sti gets 2-3 car lengths on it. same old story for the scoob , rolling start WOULD be a differnt story.
Old 09 January 2006, 10:01 PM
swtmerce
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by flat4_ire
I think that's pretty misinformed. They have exceptional handling, but at the limit - that's when it gets dodgy. But I believe that was only for the early models. Later models had their suspension tweaked and sorted.
Old 09 January 2006, 10:07 PM
rexabusa
Scooby Regular

My mate had one.

do they come with oil coolers? , thats what put me off scoobys. i have spent numerous ocations sitting at 130+ unaware that i am cooking my engine as i ave no oil temp gauge
Old 09 January 2006, 10:15 PM
T_H_E__c_R_O_W
Scooby Regular

Hey iv just moved from mr2 tubby to a scooby.

Must say they are great cars, quite easy to do basic tunning. Prices for them are very good just now if ur buying.

The mid engine RWD is very unforgiving mid-exiting corners if u dont get it right u will spin not drift!

Any spisific info u need just ask and ill try help.

www.mr2oc.co.uk - best site for help and advice, and also a good starting point for buying a really good car.
Old 09 January 2006, 10:22 PM
rexabusa
Scooby Regular

do you think this is worth a swap 4603573432 for 4602604765 on fleabay
Old 09 January 2006, 10:22 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Do a search. Loads of threads on them.

I can't be arsed typing (repeating) but will say they are hard to drive well and require attention to drive fast, unlike scoobs, evos etc.

And they'r mega reliable too.
Old 09 January 2006, 10:50 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by swtmerce
I think that's pretty misinformed. They have exceptional handling, but at the limit - that's when it gets dodgy. But I believe that was only for the early models. Later models had their suspension tweaked and sorted.
they have exceptional handling!?! where or who has ever stated this??? mr2 turbo with exceptional handling, nah i just cant see that headline buddy!
Old 09 January 2006, 10:58 PM
gazbrook
Scooby Regular

ok u havent got a clue what ur talking about, they do NOT do donuts very easily at all!no lsd and too much weight at rear.. bad points limited to 112mph!?lol, its a jap man thats the way it is,and ur mates engine didnt blow up because he got it derestricted!

good points are that its toyota so its reliable,fast enough car,220bhp or so(and the n/a version is 165bhp).still look good and get looks..

and i dont know what classics ur referring to cos they sure as hell wouldnt take an sti
I have seen a lot of your posts with a serious chip on your shoulder , but numptys like you are what make Scoobynet. Well you must be a $hit driver then,I managed to donut no problems and it was the first donut I had ever tried(see , i can be a smart **** too). Yes I know its Jap "MAN" , I was just stating something that is still a fact,it does 112mph before being de-restricted .As for beating the classics,did I say they were STI'S? One had an Sti spoiler but we flew past him that quick we couldn't get a look to see what it was.I'm still quite confident it would beat an Sti even IF they weren't. Oh and Sorry for being 15bhp out on the n/a version.
Old 09 January 2006, 11:00 PM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

watch out for corroded and leaking pipes running the length of the car, cooling system is quite complicated and expensive to fix i had to learn the hard way. Brakes are not a good match for the speed they do and believe me you wouldnt want to have a high speed crash in one they just crumple.
Old 09 January 2006, 11:11 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

I have seen a lot of your posts with a serious chip on your shoulder , but numptys like you are what make Scoobynet. Well you must be a $hit driver then,I managed to donut no problems and it was the first donut I had ever tried(see , i can be a smart **** too). Yes I know its Jap "MAN" , I was just stating something that is still a fact,it does 112mph before being de-restricted .As for beating the classics,did I say they were STI'S? One had an Sti spoiler but we flew past him that quick we couldn't get a look to see what it was.I'm still quite confident it would beat an Sti even IF they weren't. Oh and Sorry for being 15bhp out on the n/a version.
N/A came in 2 bhp guises depending on revision.

158 and 170
Old 09 January 2006, 11:23 PM
rexabusa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StudentScooby
watch out for corroded and leaking pipes running the length of the car, cooling system is quite complicated and expensive to fix i had to learn the hard way. Brakes are not a good match for the speed they do and believe me you wouldnt want to have a high speed crash in one they just crumple.

thats more like it , just need to know the bad points when i look at them.
handbags at dawn for you two then.
flat4 bloke i have noticed you are a **** lately
Old 10 January 2006, 12:48 AM
Dave uk blue mica
Scooby Regular

these are quick cars and i've had one, great fun and yes you can do donuts and drift them easily so don't listen to the guys on here that can't drive, a STi impreza isn't that quick and a chipped MR2 would easily be quicker and i know this cos my old one was and my mate had a STi at the time, loads of people on here think their impreza is the fastest thing on the road and unless its had loads of mods it isn't!!
Old 10 January 2006, 01:01 AM
WRXTURBOWAGON
Scooby Regular

i agree, many "modern" scoobs can be left behind by modded everyday cars, for example a corsa with a 2.0 engine will be much lighter than a factory output scoob and give it a run for it's money. calibra 2.0 turbo, or rover 220 tomcat will also be much lighter than modern scoobs and i'm sure will be faster in some cases. but of course the "gas guzzlers" will also beat the scoobs in the right conditions the pulsar gtir, nissan 300zx tt, supra tt and skyline gtir, all faster on a straight (in most cases) but hefty on the wallet in the fuel dept. just my thoughts
Old 10 January 2006, 01:22 AM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Having owned an MR2 Turbo (well, still do actually), I'm happy to offer my opinion too. It's a car which demands much more respect from the driver than most other cars on the road, simply because if you treat it nasty then it'll probably bite you back... especially in the wet.

The 1989-1991 models were a serious drivers car, but Toyota toned down the handling from 1991 onwards. All have standard power ranging from 220 bhp to 240 bhp following the 1994 models.

Compared to the Impreza it's chalk and cheese. I can sink into the Impreza and let it drive me to work if I really want it to... but the MR2 is non-stop driver interraction, if you see what I mean.

I have a 1993 model which has c. 250 bhp and recall having some fun with some STi Classics a few years back, and although I came out on top, you have to ask whether they a) were trying or b) even cared... and given some serious twisties I'm sure the STi's would have left me behind for sure.

Now my daily car is a MY00 UK Turbo and I love it. If I climb into the MR2 it's like a different world and has a totally different feel.

If you're bored with AWD and fancy some serious thrills with RWD then an MR2 Turbo is a very cost-effective way of putting a smile on your face. But do be careful because if they bite, you *will* know. If you purchase one, make sure tyres and a 4-wheel alignment are your first ports of call.

Jonts.
Old 10 January 2006, 01:25 AM
WRXTURBOWAGON
Scooby Regular

btw just have to co-ordinate between forums, find the right roads and the right people with the right cars in the right area, with people who have some decent camcorders and the film could do all the talking

hmm, too much beer tonight
Old 10 January 2006, 01:29 AM
WRXTURBOWAGON
Scooby Regular

sorry jonty...

Originally Posted by Jonty
Having owned an MR2 Turbo (well, still do actually), I'm happy to offer my opinion too. It's a car which demands much more respect from the driver than most other cars on the road, simply because if you treat it nasty then it'll probably bite you back... especially in the wet.

The 1989-1991 models were a serious drivers car, but Toyota toned down the handling from 1991 onwards. All have standard power ranging from 220 bhp to 240 bhp following the 1994 models.

Compared to the Impreza it's chalk and cheese. I can sink into the Impreza and let it drive me to work if I really want it to... but the MR2 is non-stop driver interraction, if you see what I mean.

I have a 1993 model which has c. 250 bhp and recall having some fun with some STi Classics a few years back, and although I came out on top, you have to ask whether they a) were trying or b) even cared... and given some serious twisties I'm sure the STi's would have left me behind for sure.

Now my daily car is a MY00 UK Turbo and I love it. If I climb into the MR2 it's like a different world and has a totally different feel.

If you're bored with AWD and fancy some serious thrills with RWD then an MR2 Turbo is a very cost-effective way of putting a smile on your face. But do be careful because if they bite, you *will* know. If you purchase one, make sure tyres and a 4-wheel alignment are your first ports of call.

Jonts.
Old 10 January 2006, 09:22 AM
J4CK50N
Scooby Regular

Location: From : somewhere between here & there - also at wyioc.co.uk - are you?

I too have had an MR2 Turbo Rev 2.

I found this car to be great fun, ultra-reliable and never failed to put a smile on my face. The T Bar roof was brilliant in summmer, or any time you got a bit of sun.

I made a few subtle mods to it, nothing extreme. Got rid of the standard exhaust and replaced with a single exit 5Zigen exhaust, which was loud and not to everyones taste, but transformed the car. Also put some nice wheels on it and a thorough service and that was enough, didnt even up the boost.

Only got rid of it coz a type WRX STi Type R was calling, but would defo get another one, and if I need some cash and had to sell my current car, Supra TT6, then an MR2 would defo be worth looking at.

You get a lot of bang for your buck.

I also found the handling of the car very good, although you will always hear the scare stories about one thing or another. respect the car and it will respect you.

If you like em, I say take one for a spin (not literatlly ) and you will then love em!

Just my 2p

J4CK50N
Old 10 January 2006, 05:25 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

listen ****head, u cant just say "we flew by 2 classics easily" that means ****all!! i can fly by a 360 modena in my fiesta, does that mean mines quicker? did u race them properly!? and i would actually pay you to let me see you doing donuts in your mr2!! u might do one ring and thats that,that aint doing donuts!! some other lad said they were great for drifting there aswell. what drugs are you people on?!?!
Old 10 January 2006, 05:31 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rexabusa
thats more like it , just need to know the bad points when i look at them.
handbags at dawn for you two then.
flat4 bloke i have noticed you are a **** lately
kiss my ****ing ***..what do u expect when u have guys here saying that mr2's are good for donuts and drifting!!!!!??? ****ing joke
Old 10 January 2006, 05:56 PM
rexabusa
Scooby Regular

kiss my ****ing ***..what do u expect when u have guys here saying that mr2's are good for donuts and drifting!!!!!??? ****ing joke

Old 10 January 2006, 06:07 PM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

Click here to see Video
Old 10 January 2006, 06:08 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rexabusa
yeah im crazy, sure this kip would make ya crazy, with posts like that! il pay that ******** 50quid if he can do 5 rings for me in this mr2 he had or whatever!!
Old 10 January 2006, 06:13 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StudentScooby
lol sure what the hell is that?? says driftin in the title, sure as hell aint driftin, do wide rings like that yea maybe(far from standard prob too) , wont do em proper, obviously any car can be setup with enough money to do that ya know? with a lot of money spent on the diff and suspension/weight setup it could be achieved yeah..my best friend has one and itl do a bit of a drift around a roundabout,but thats about it, not a chance of a decent donut
Old 10 January 2006, 08:07 PM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

flat-4-ire you are a bit unnecessarily aggresive, not to mention getting your facts wrong. This was a helpful friendly thread before you got on it.

You say:

"no lsd"

LSD was standard in turbos from 1992 on. Please see http://www.btinternet.com/~netsurf/mr2t/mr2tfaq.html

You say:
"220bhp or so(and the n/a version is 165bhp)"

Half right. turbo is 220ps or 245ps, NA is 165ps(158BHP), or 177ps, or the very late ones were slightly reduced at around 170ps.

You say:
"and i dont know what classics ur referring to cos they sure as hell wouldnt take an sti"

Maybe not an STi but they do take classics, even jap 275ps classics.
please see vid named "mr2_gt_vs_impreza_wrx" halfway down this page (right click and download). It is quite a slow quarter mile time but also see vid called rev2_v_rev3 which shows a rev 3 standard MR2 doing a 13.362 quarter which is quite respectable.

http://www.mr2oc.net/videos/

You say:
"they have exceptional handling!?! where or who has ever stated this?"

Many people have stated this, they are tricky in the wet but if you know how to drive them they are very good in the dry.
Please see this:
http://www.google.com/search?q=MR2+H...&start=10&sa=N

You say:
"and i would actually pay you to let me see you doing donuts in your mr2"

and then when you see it you say:
"obviously any car can be setup with enough money to do that ya know"

Just can't admit to it can you.

Enough said

Quick Reply: mr 2 turbo