Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

BOXSTER 3.2 S (latest shape)

Search this Thread

Old 24 December 2005, 10:58 AM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BOXSTER 3.2 S (latest shape)

I have the pleasure of using one of these for a couple of weeks.

Well, I wasn't too impressed after 5 minutes of driving it up the motorway, but after doing a few hundred miles I have realised it is probably the best driver's car I have been in.

Only 280 bhp, so its not exactly Type 25 performance, but it isn't exactly slow either.

Anyone got one ?
Old 24 December 2005, 12:28 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

Had one.......
Old 24 December 2005, 01:57 PM
scoobyjimbo
Scooby Regular

Driven one several times (done around 500 miles in one weekend), my mate ha sone and we did a swap one weekend. Anyway i thought it was a nice motor, although i wasnt that impressed with the performance, i know it has a porker badge and the handling and build quality were great but IMHO for the money they are just not good value. If you are a real speed freak then it wont IMHO float your boat. My mate is thinking of getting rid of his in the spring and getting a Sagaris, now that will scare him..:-)

J
Old 24 December 2005, 02:31 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by scoobyjimbo
Driven one several times (done around 500 miles in one weekend), my mate ha sone and we did a swap one weekend. Anyway i thought it was a nice motor, although i wasnt that impressed with the performance, i know it has a porker badge and the handling and build quality were great but IMHO for the money they are just not good value. If you are a real speed freak then it wont IMHO float your boat. My mate is thinking of getting rid of his in the spring and getting a Sagaris, now that will scare him..:-)

J
Yes, he'll be very scared when the steering wheel comes off in his hand
Old 24 December 2005, 02:34 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by russell hayward
I have the pleasure of using one of these for a couple of weeks.

Well, I wasn't too impressed after 5 minutes of driving it up the motorway, but after doing a few hundred miles I have realised it is probably the best driver's car I have been in.

Only 280 bhp, so its not exactly Type 25 performance, but it isn't exactly slow either.

Anyone got one ?
Russell, can you expand on why you think its the best drivers car you've driven? I've driven a few 911s but never had the pleasure of a Boxster
Old 24 December 2005, 02:45 PM
scoobyjimbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
Yes, he'll be very scared when the steering wheel comes off in his hand
LOL
As a current TVR owner and an owner now of several Trevors, i have never had the wheel come off..!! although i have had bits of trim come off several times, but i can live with that. My current Tiv the T350 is alot better, only problem I have had is a flat battery (replacement on waranty)

J
Old 24 December 2005, 04:16 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

Russell, can you expand on why you think its the best drivers car you've driven? I've driven a few 911s but never had the pleasure of a Boxster
Deep - you really should try a Boxster or even better a Cayman.

The balance of the car is just outstanding and so controllable without too many driver aids - while my C4S has many attributes which I favour (such as 4WD, more power etc) - for the money the Boxster has come into bargain territory (eg 2nd hand Boxster S on a 2000 MY plate for under £20k).
Old 24 December 2005, 05:24 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Gastro
Deep - you really should try a Boxster or even better a Cayman.

The balance of the car is just outstanding and so controllable without too many driver aids - while my C4S has many attributes which I favour (such as 4WD, more power etc) - for the money the Boxster has come into bargain territory (eg 2nd hand Boxster S on a 2000 MY plate for under £20k).
I'm sure they are wonderfully balanced. Its a bit sad, but SHOs at work drive Boxsters, I couldn't possible be seen in one!! ( LOL)
I do like the new ones especially, nice shape and nice interior. Image, sadly, would stop me owning one. I know its sad, but at least I'm honest
Old 24 December 2005, 06:16 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

I'm sure they are wonderfully balanced. Its a bit sad, but SHOs at work drive Boxsters, I couldn't possible be seen in one!! ( LOL)
I do like the new ones especially, nice shape and nice interior. Image, sadly, would stop me owning one. I know its sad, but at least I'm honest
Are you an SHO, SpR or Consultant Deep ? ........ Boxster's have unfortunately always suffered from an image problem - nowadays it's because they are too common.....
Old 24 December 2005, 06:27 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Consultant. I really do like the new Boxster, and it wins endless accolades from all the rags so is defo an accomplished piece of kit. If I were a few years younger I would have one, but now it has to be a 911 or nothing.
You're a final year SpR aren't you? Which proves my point. If SpRs can have a C4S, I'm not driving a bloody Boxster!! (LOL)
Old 24 December 2005, 08:54 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

The Boxster S really is a superb bit of kit. It really is a shame that you pass up one of the best sports cars of the current time, simply because more junior people at work happen to drive them and for no other reason.

I'd ask yourself who you're trying to impress anyway. The opinion of anyone who derides a Boxster S is almost certainly worth less than nothing as far as cars are concerned, and a great many people with *real* money drive some surprisngly ordinary cars and don't give a hoot about image.

Gary.
Old 24 December 2005, 09:26 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GCollier
The Boxster S really is a superb bit of kit. It really is a shame that you pass up one of the best sports cars of the current time, simply because more junior people at work happen to drive them and for no other reason.

I'd ask yourself who you're trying to impress anyway. The opinion of anyone who derides a Boxster S is almost certainly worth less than nothing as far as cars are concerned, and a great many people with *real* money drive some surprisngly ordinary cars and don't give a hoot about image.

Gary.
Gary, you can read alot into what I've said and if it suits you paint me as a superficial wannabe who wants to impress the neighbours. That couldn't actually be further from the truth, if I wanted to do that I'd do what other people do and borrow beyond my means and go buy something I can't afford.

You don't need to tell me its a superb piece of kit, I've said it myself in each of my posts.

You also seemed to have missed the fact that everything I said was a bit tongue in cheek, hence the winks and the LOLs.

Yes, lots of people with 'real' money drive ordinary cars. They usually aren't 'petrolheads' but have other extravagances. Not quite sure what your point is?

Merry Xmas
Old 24 December 2005, 09:56 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

DS - where, what specialty etc - PM if you want ?
Absolutely - if I can afford - you certainly can - and my sights are set higher than what I'm currently enjoying

Happy Xmas
Old 24 December 2005, 10:06 PM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Deep I'm a 25 year old chav with a 911 Turbo so best rule that out aswell

I've never driven a boxster s or a cayman s, I might have to go on a test drive...
Old 24 December 2005, 10:39 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Deep, I'm not trying to paint you as anything. All I'm saying is it's a shame for anyone who considers themselves a car enthusiast to reject a Boxster S for any of the reasons you've hinted at (winking smilies or not). If everything you've said is as tongue in cheek as you make out, then do yourself a favour and book a nice long test drive....they really are a car which you get more out of the longer you drive/own them....though I do sort of understand the "it must be a 911" dilema as I've been there myself.

Gary.
Old 24 December 2005, 11:18 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Gastro, I'm a gasman in London. I'd be interested to get feedback from you about the C4S. Anything and everything. Once the private practice starts I'm sure you'll be able to have any variant you fancy. Plenty of top and bottom 'scopes go on in all the private hospitals I work in! Unfortunately you
*******s give your own sedation! (LOL)

Steve, I didn't realise how young you were! Are you a drug dealer then? LOL

Gary, I never once said the Boxster isn't a great car. Enthusiasts buy cars with their hearts not heads, and that means its emotive. Its got to do with desires, cars we've dreamed of as kids, cars we've seen racing, cars which we once thought we could never own etc. The Boxster is not one of those type of cars for me. It maybe a great sportscar, but I would be buying it with my head not my heart.
I hope you get where I'm coming from. As an additional reason, no matter how well balanced the Boxster is, I do like straight line grunt and the Boxster lacks this.
BTW are you offering me a long test drive in yours?(LOL)
Old 25 December 2005, 12:11 AM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

I don't have a boxster, though I've test driven a fair few and have 2 friends who have them....though I did order one a few years ago....until I decided that since I was spending so much dough I'd get something I'd wanted since a kid and switched the order for a 911 - so yes, I know exactly where you're coming from there.

Unfortunately 2 seaters and 2+2's aren't compatible with 2 kids, so my 911 was traded in at the start of this year for a sensible car.

Gary.
Old 25 December 2005, 11:47 AM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

When I get time inbetween Pimping duties
Old 25 December 2005, 03:52 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

Gastro, I'm a gasman in London. I'd be interested to get feedback from you about the C4S. Anything and everything. Once the private practice starts I'm sure you'll be able to have any variant you fancy. Plenty of top and bottom 'scopes go on in all the private hospitals I work in! Unfortunately you
*******s give your own sedation! (LOL)

Gary, I never once said the Boxster isn't a great car. Enthusiasts buy cars with their hearts not heads, and that means its emotive. Its got to do with desires, cars we've dreamed of as kids, cars we've seen racing, cars which we once thought we could never own etc. The Boxster is not one of those type of cars for me. It maybe a great sportscar, but I would be buying it with my head not my heart.
I hope you get where I'm coming from. As an additional reason, no matter how well balanced the Boxster is, I do like straight line grunt and the Boxster lacks this.
BTW are you offering me a long test drive in yours?(LOL)
Deep,

All I can say is that its divine........ performance is excellent and although not TT standard the PSE (sports exhaust) almost makes up for it..... PSE isn't available for the TT, and believe me it MAKES the car. I couldn't be without it.... awesome
Old 25 December 2005, 05:13 PM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

True, the TT needs more noise. A DMS remap and Tubi exhaust would be *AWESUM* on a TT, I think I may have to purchase that this year.

http://www.dmsautomotive.com/index.asp?upid=16&msid=3

550bhp
Old 26 December 2005, 10:33 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Nevetas
When I get time inbetween Pimping duties
Steve, will I get a discount?
Old 26 December 2005, 10:35 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Gastro
Deep,

All I can say is that its divine........ performance is excellent and although not TT standard the PSE (sports exhaust) almost makes up for it..... PSE isn't available for the TT, and believe me it MAKES the car. I couldn't be without it.... awesome

Yes, heard the PSE on a C4S, fantastic! Probably the best sounding modern day standard(ish) Porsche
Old 26 December 2005, 10:37 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Question

True, the TT needs more noise. A DMS remap and Tubi exhaust would be *AWESUM* on a TT, I think I may have to purchase that this year.

http://www.dmsautomotive.com/index.asp?upid=16&msid=3

550bhp
Steve, whats your take on a 997s vs 996tt. Obviously tt way up on power and can be modded, but if your were buying now for the first time would you consider the 997s instead ie newer, more modern interior etc
Old 26 December 2005, 10:46 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

PMSL

Whole thread is a good read.

Merry Xmas to you all.

Old 26 December 2005, 12:23 PM
fromage
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Buy 2 Get 1 free
Old 26 December 2005, 12:26 PM
fromage
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fromage
Buy 2 Get 1 free
I did'nt post that, I feel I may be logged onto another computer aswell
Old 26 December 2005, 12:30 PM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Was an ammusing coment all the same lol

Try changing your password?
Old 26 December 2005, 12:32 PM
fromage
Scooby Regular

Was an ammusing coment all the same lol

Try changing your password?
or you could just log out of my account you fool
Old 26 December 2005, 12:33 PM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

My internet is down so I'm on the office PC was still logged in as you
Old 26 December 2005, 12:52 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

www.BoXa.net

Quick Reply: BOXSTER 3.2 S (latest shape)