Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Do you want to sell cars or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02 December 2005, 12:55 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you want to sell cars or not?

I have money to spend, but have a car that I need rid of! Here is the email exchange that has happened over the last few days.

Strange thing is that he has made an assumption. You'd think he'd want the business this close to Christmas, especially when someone has cash ready to go.

I was going to be rude, but what's the point?

--------------
Hi,

I'm interested in the Audi S3, but would you be prepared to take a Ford Ka in part exchange: http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/xxxx.htm

Thanks
Andy

--------------
i will give you £2500 for it against our asking price.
--------------
Hi,

Thanks for replying. Sorry I'll have to skip your offer.

Good luck with the sale of your car.

Thanks
Andy

--------------
That is interesting.

I was not expecting hardball from you.

You see from our website what we sell. I just want this gone.

If you will pay up quickly you can have 3k against £9995. ok.

let me know.

Please dont waste my time.

kind regards,

jeremy

--------------
Hi Jeremy,

Trust me the last thing I want to do is waste anybody's time, as I have had enough of people promising to look or buy my car.

Whether you sell Ferrari's or not is irrelevant to me. But offering £2500 against your car at £9500, or £3000 against a price of £9995, is you wasting my time.

As I said before good luck with the sale.

--------------
Dear Andrew,

sorry I must have offended you.

I am happy to take your car in px.

i will give you 3k against 9500. Is that of interest.

If not tell me what you wish to pay.

I have 56 cars in stock and i wish to get some stock moved.

are you interested in the s3?

please just tell me what you want to do.

I dont need luck to sell this car. i will be fair and wish to do a deal. its that simple.

please let me know.

kind regards,

jeremy.

--------------
Jeremy,

Your response to my email has tainted the way I feel about the sale.

Let me not waste any more of your time as I'm no longer interested.

Regards
Andrew

--------------
Thought you were a waste of time.
Old 02 December 2005, 01:01 PM
chris_c201
Scooby Regular

Lol, what a numpty... ah well, think your right to ditch this if the service is of this level BEFORE he gets your cash!
Old 02 December 2005, 01:02 PM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Sounds like an arrogant tosser to me

How do people like that stay in business?!!

Gav..
Old 02 December 2005, 01:11 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Should I ever be fortunate enough to afford a Ferrari, I know where I'm *NOT* going to buy one.

My wife did say to me, don't bother being rude, there's no point and she was right! ( ) At least I can take the moral high ground!

Just because they are use to deal with people with more money than sense, it doesn't mean everyone who contacts them will be a gullible fool!

The funny thing is that in the past I have spent more in modifications than the cost of the S3. In fact the S3 is advertised at half the price I paid for my first (and come to think of it, second) Impreza.
Old 02 December 2005, 01:18 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Send him a nice pic of the car you end up buying and how much money he could have had
Old 02 December 2005, 01:27 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

TBH I don't think he would care, but it's saved me a trip up to Watford this weekend.
Old 02 December 2005, 01:40 PM
Rabid
BANNED

You'd think from that exchange he was doing you a favour. He will have yet another unsold car littering his forecourt all due to an attitude problem. Imagine if you'd bought the S3 and found some problems with it, I don't think you'd get satisfaction from someone who communicates like that to a prospective sale. You are well out of it.
Old 02 December 2005, 02:06 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

...and I bet he's complaining about having stock that just seems to attract test pilots and idiots that don't want to do a deal despite knocking 500 quid off

Being fair to him, if someone emailed or phoned and said they wanted to part ex a 3 grand ford ka for an s3, what are the chances that the email is from a spotty 17 year old who's dreaming, and yet to get an insurance quote, or arrange finance, or ...

Sure, we know you're not, but if he's had umpteen gits emailing him, it's no wonder he might be a bit shirty.

All the same, there's no excuse for being a pillock if you're trying to sell cars . Hope you find the right one
Old 02 December 2005, 02:12 PM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Ah yes, the very wonderful Jeremy @ DK. Well known thoroughout the land as being, er, idiosyncratic.
Old 02 December 2005, 02:44 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the moose
Ah yes, the very wonderful Jeremy @ DK. Well known thoroughout the land as being, er, idiosyncratic.
So how are you aware of "his work"??

Originally Posted by chiark
...and I bet he's complaining about having stock that just seems to attract test pilots and idiots that don't want to do a deal despite knocking 500 quid off

Being fair to him, if someone emailed or phoned and said they wanted to part ex a 3 grand ford ka for an s3, what are the chances that the email is from a spotty 17 year old who's dreaming, and yet to get an insurance quote, or arrange finance, or ...

Sure, we know you're not, but if he's had umpteen gits emailing him, it's no wonder he might be a bit shirty.

All the same, there's no excuse for being a pillock if you're trying to sell cars
Fair point, but there are polite and not so polite ways of dealing with this. He chose the way that stops him getting £6.5k in cash tomorrow! He has my number but chose to carry on contact via email.

Last edited by Andy Tang; 02 December 2005 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Getting the facts right!
Old 02 December 2005, 02:48 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...63&h=&t=199549
Old 02 December 2005, 02:57 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

He's an eeeejyat mate!!!!
Old 02 December 2005, 03:00 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Sure, he's the one that's the idiot in all this, but I was just trying to theorise on why a dealer, who is in the game to make money, wouldn't want to
Old 02 December 2005, 03:00 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Thought he was blunt, but honest.

He's running a business. His last email was fairly open and inviting.....

Maybe I've missed something.
Old 02 December 2005, 04:06 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Did I mention the condesending answerphone message? Nope, but that's not important.

Senior AP, the accusation of me wasting his time was the one that got my back up, espeically after offering me a £5 discount. It was at that point I decided I wasn't going to deal with him, and wished him luck on his sale. The fact he then asks me what I'm willing to pay, was already too late. It was something he should have done earlier, but I guess he didn't get a huge influx of people wanting to buy an S3!

Last edited by Andy Tang; 02 December 2005 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02 December 2005, 11:59 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

now im not having a pop but .....when i read it i see it difrent from you......but thats the trouble with text

if you were face to face i bet you would be driving it now
Old 03 December 2005, 12:18 AM
LegacySTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Senior_AP
Thought he was blunt, but honest.

He's running a business. His last email was fairly open and inviting.....

Maybe I've missed something.
Yes mate i have to agree with you. The 2500 of the 9500 and 3000 of the 9995. Maybe just forgot the price he gave you. Might have been a little bit more polite. BUT as said last email was open enough and inviting. And if that meant you saved a further £500 and got car you wanted then surely you'd be happy. Or where you just wasting this fellas time!! Not him wasting yours!
Old 03 December 2005, 09:30 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LegacySTi
Yes mate i have to agree with you. The 2500 of the 9500 and 3000 of the 9995. Maybe just forgot the price he gave you. Might have been a little bit more polite. BUT as said last email was open enough and inviting. And if that meant you saved a further £500 and got car you wanted then surely you'd be happy. Or where you just wasting this fellas time!! Not him wasting yours!
Forgot the price??? Erm, ok whatever! I hate it when people try to take the ****! Either you are selling it for the advertised price or you're not. But it clearly said on the PH website £9.5k.

I have £6.5k ready to go, so was money an issue? No. Being treated as if I was a **** from the start, was the bit that pissed me off. So rather than be rude, I was polite and wished him the best. Am I wasting his time, if I didn't like his attitude, and inform him I wasn't interested in the car?

If he had done the same face-to-face, I would have turn around and walked out of the showroom, no matter how good the deal was!
Old 03 December 2005, 10:56 AM
T-gro
Scooby Regular

Any dealer who considers a customer trying to negotiate a deal that they are happy with a "time waster" is clearly in the wrong job.

Personally, I wouldn't even consider buying a car from a guy who was rude to me, or tried to intimate that I should expect to show deference because he also sells cars I couldn't afford.

It doesn't matter how "open and inviting" his last email was, if there was room for negotiation, as it appears there was, why was he getting upset about a customer exploring that possibility?

Clearly a man not to be trusted or respected, and therefore not to be dealt with.
Old 03 December 2005, 11:06 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Thanks T-gro, I was beginning to think I was being stupid!

That is interesting.

I was not expecting hardball from you.

You see from our website what we sell. I just want this gone.

If you will pay up quickly you can have 3k against £9995. ok.

let me know.

Please dont waste my time.

kind regards,

jeremy
He made an offer less than trade on my car.
I turn down his offer and wish him luck.
He was suprised I wanted to negotiate his offer on my car.
He tell me he sells Ferraris, as if that would mean I should trust him.
He gives a price £495 higher than advertised.
He tells me I can have the car, if I can get the money to him quickly, as long as I except his fiver discount.
And after all that he tells me not to waste his time.

And then people wonder why I don't want to deal with him!
Old 03 December 2005, 11:11 AM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

If you'd actually communicated by phone, or actually visited him. This would have been sorted fairly swiftly.

How much do you want for you Ka out of curosity?
Old 03 December 2005, 12:09 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rr_ww
If you'd actually communicated by phone, or actually visited him. This would have been sorted fairly swiftly.

How much do you want for you Ka out of curosity?
He called and left an answerphone message, but gave me that email before I could call back.

Anyway details of the Ka here: http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=469306 , but "don't waste my time"
Old 03 December 2005, 12:17 PM
T-gro
Scooby Regular

You'd think!

About six months ago, my girlfriend was looking for an mx-5. She had a Saxo VTS as a part-ex. Being a girl, she insisted on a nice blue one, and she had a strict budget. She eventually found one about 80 miles away.

I was concerned that the dealer might not want to take a VTS in part ex (insurance is pretty high), so I got her to confirm with them, over the phone, that they would be interested.

When we got there, they offered £1500 less than book price.

When they were asked to explain their reasoning, the guy offered to show me similar cars on autotrader. Expecting to see a similar car (50,000 miles, service history, trade sale) he instead found a 130,000 mile, private sale with no history, tax or MOT :-D

When I gently pointed out the idiocy of this endeavour, he admitted that he didn't, infact, want the car at all.

I think it is a sensible decision to not do business with a guy who doesn't give off the right signs, whether it's by email or not.
Old 03 December 2005, 12:45 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy Tang
He called and left an answerphone message, but gave me that email before I could call back.

Anyway details of the Ka here: http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=469306 , but "don't waste my time"

Im not interested at all in it. I wanted to see how much you wanted.

So he offers you £500 less, and you could of driven up there today and done the deal. But ou chose not to. I can see your reasoning. But you have to ask yourself. Do you want an S3 or not. If yes, then I'd swallow your pride and do a deal. If you aren't too fussed, then find another dealer.

Simple. But I dont think, writing this thread has made anyone think "I won't go there then"
Old 03 December 2005, 03:12 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Im not interested at all in it. I wanted to see how much you wanted.
Timewaster

So he offers you £500 less, and you could of driven up there today and done the deal. But ou chose not to. I can see your reasoning. But you have to ask yourself. Do you want an S3 or not. If yes, then I'd swallow your pride and do a deal. If you aren't too fussed, then find another dealer.
He made me an offer I wasn't prepared to expect, which I think if my choice. Especially as he is not the only place selling S3's!

I have my reasons for not using him (which I have already posted and repeated below), which I don't think are unfounded.

Originally Posted by Andy Tang
He made an offer less than trade on my car.
I turn down his offer and wish him luck.
He was suprised I wanted to negotiate his offer on my car.
He tell me he sells Ferraris, as if that would mean I should trust him.
He gives a price £495 higher than advertised.
He tells me I can have the car, if I can get the money to him quickly, as long as I except his fiver discount.
And after all that he tells me not to waste his time.
Simple. But I dont think, writing this thread has made anyone think "I won't go there then"
Whether you use him or not, is not why I posted this thread. Just a comment on the way I was treated when trying to spend £6.5k.

Last edited by Andy Tang; 03 December 2005 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03 December 2005, 03:23 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

TBH I think I've wasted too much time talking about this already.

I think I'll spend my energy finding my next car
Old 03 December 2005, 04:30 PM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Just buy another scoob Andy its easier
Old 04 December 2005, 05:43 PM
Robbie T
Scooby Regular

Andy you were right to not do business with the ****, he was condescending (sp) from the start. It makes no odds that the pillock sells Ferraris, if he doesn't really want to sell the S3 why advertise it.

He was clearly trying to pull your pants down or confuse you over the price, his customer relations needs serious work.

Someone else said it might be that he'd been messed about by others over the same car that day, but as i'm always told it might be the 10th time you've been asked the same question but its the first time that person has asked.

rr_ww you must get walked all over wherever you go

Edit to add, it would put me off buying from there so thanks for the warning
Old 05 December 2005, 10:59 PM
CLSII
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't go near a place like that with a barge pole.....can you imagine the reaction from some one like that if you needed warranty work done?

There are enough honest and decent people out there selling cars that you don't need to go to tossers like this.

Even if the deal was half way decent you would not have peace of mind worrying about aftersales service. If it was my business If anyone continually upset potential buyers like you they would be sacked. Every person who feels like they have been treated like dirt tells all their friends...who tell all their friends etc etc.

Get attitude like this and then run a mile
Old 06 December 2005, 10:54 AM
chris_c201
Scooby Regular

I appreciate that this is "each to their own" here but i struggle to find Andy in the wrong in anyway here.

He was polite, even when the guy was rude back he continued to be polite and merely state he wasn't interested anymore but good luck with the sale anyway yet the guy was still a complete ****!

I personally wouldn't touch any garage like this with a barge poll, as previously stated if this is how he attempts to get your money then what happens when your trying to get anything done, ie warranty work!

Andy - Your right (IMHO, lol)

Quick Reply: Do you want to sell cars or not?