Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Late model Mk2 Golf 16V's...

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2005, 07:13 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Late model Mk2 Golf 16V's...

Wondering what the feelings are towards them on here..?

Finished a long term project car and it will be going up for grabs soon...
Old 28 November 2005, 07:25 PM
rb5_336
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm looking for one at the mo
Old 28 November 2005, 07:36 PM
matchmaker
Scooby Regular

I had a mk II 16v Jetta - fast and reliable but heavy steering if no PAS.

Got an indicated 145 out of it at 3am one morning

SWMBO had gone into labour and the contractions were getting closer
Old 28 November 2005, 07:58 PM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

used to have a late model mk2 8 valve so not really the same. although the last of the line oak green models come with lots of toys (for the time) in.

only downside is if you get one on a k plate they have cats so not the best. a good j plate would be a good buy.

reliable as ever, mine had 162k on the clock when i sold it and it was on most of the original bits. never missed a beat and had great handling, although i did change the shocks.

really miss it even though i have a scooby. did an average of 34mpg too!!!
Old 28 November 2005, 08:42 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I have had six GTI's, 2 * Mk1, 4 * Mk2, 1 of which was a sixteen valve, dont rule a nice car out cos its not a 16 valve as a good 8 valve is still a good drive, in fact they drive better most of the time so it just depends whether you prefer a grunty engine or one that howls to the redline with a nice top end sparkle.

Watch out for rust, my last one, owned and cherished by my dad (a mechanic) for 14 years went rusty under the plastics, involved letting new metal in at the front and replacing both front wings which is a big job.

Have driven the Mk3 GTI and it was pants, slow, wobbly and not much fun, nice enough if taken on its own merits as opposed to its predecessors glory but not a sports car by any stretch. The 16 valve was a bit better, both are ugly. The MK4 I drive was a 1.8 T, expected it to make my 8 valve Mk2 look old and slow but it didnt, the 8 valve was pretty much as quick (felt so and had a brief go with my mates 1.8 T) and not a lot in it, so the MK2 is definitely the one to go for if you can find a nice one, I still hanker after one, saw a minter in Islington in London, in with the BMW's and the Mercs round the 1 Million plus houses, still looked classy as it hadnt been ruined with bodykits, big wheels or anything.

They can be very variable at that age, be prepared for a few wasted journeys I am afraid, if it doesnt feel right, walk away.

Watch for wet carpets as its a pig to sort out, the doors leak water, 5 doors are worse, in fact even though the best value Golf I had was a 5 door (a grand, put 20k on it and sold it for a grand, inc a part ex that I made 200 quid on) avoid them as the shells are a bit wobbly, jack them up and they creak and the doors dont open right, they all do it, even the 3 doors (cars are more rigid nowadays) but whatever you do with the handling you are hampered by the 5 door layout, plus they dont look as nice, so avoid.

The engines are generally pretty good, a well serviced one will do 200k but it will be getting tired, avoid modded ones unless very well done as it devalues them, a decent ss exhaust is ok as are quality aftermarket suspension kits, a cone air filer makes them sound throaty but doesnt make them much quicker, avoid anything with 17 inch (or bigger)alloys as they tramline, they came with, and handled well on 14's, you can go a bit bigger (15's maybe 16's) but leave the big rims to the Max Power boys and new cars that are designed to run them, they make the car over grippy and stress the wheel bearings, modern cars have components designed to cope with it.
Old 28 November 2005, 08:49 PM
Neutral Cruiser
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SCOOBYD00
Wondering what the feelings are towards them on here..?

Finished a long term project car and it will be going up for grabs soon...
I've owned 2 of the cleanest Mark 2 16v's going before. I like them and would consider px on the scoob i'm selling for one that was right.
Old 28 November 2005, 10:46 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rb5_336
i'm looking for one at the mo
I've got one. PM me and I'll send pics. Not cheap but as clean as you'll ever see..
Old 28 November 2005, 10:49 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I have had six GTI's, 2 * Mk1, 4 * Mk2, 1 of which was a sixteen valve, dont rule a nice car out cos its not a 16 valve as a good 8 valve is still a good drive, in fact they drive better most of the time so it just depends whether you prefer a grunty engine or one that howls to the redline with a nice top end sparkle.

Watch out for rust, my last one, owned and cherished by my dad (a mechanic) for 14 years went rusty under the plastics, involved letting new metal in at the front and replacing both front wings which is a big job.

Have driven the Mk3 GTI and it was pants, slow, wobbly and not much fun, nice enough if taken on its own merits as opposed to its predecessors glory but not a sports car by any stretch. The 16 valve was a bit better, both are ugly. The MK4 I drive was a 1.8 T, expected it to make my 8 valve Mk2 look old and slow but it didnt, the 8 valve was pretty much as quick (felt so and had a brief go with my mates 1.8 T) and not a lot in it, so the MK2 is definitely the one to go for if you can find a nice one, I still hanker after one, saw a minter in Islington in London, in with the BMW's and the Mercs round the 1 Million plus houses, still looked classy as it hadnt been ruined with bodykits, big wheels or anything.

They can be very variable at that age, be prepared for a few wasted journeys I am afraid, if it doesnt feel right, walk away.

Watch for wet carpets as its a pig to sort out, the doors leak water, 5 doors are worse, in fact even though the best value Golf I had was a 5 door (a grand, put 20k on it and sold it for a grand, inc a part ex that I made 200 quid on) avoid them as the shells are a bit wobbly, jack them up and they creak and the doors dont open right, they all do it, even the 3 doors (cars are more rigid nowadays) but whatever you do with the handling you are hampered by the 5 door layout, plus they dont look as nice, so avoid.

The engines are generally pretty good, a well serviced one will do 200k but it will be getting tired, avoid modded ones unless very well done as it devalues them, a decent ss exhaust is ok as are quality aftermarket suspension kits, a cone air filer makes them sound throaty but doesnt make them much quicker, avoid anything with 17 inch (or bigger)alloys as they tramline, they came with, and handled well on 14's, you can go a bit bigger (15's maybe 16's) but leave the big rims to the Max Power boys and new cars that are designed to run them, they make the car over grippy and stress the wheel bearings, modern cars have components designed to cope with it.
Good post. Mine has had in the last year every single rubber seal replaced.. everyone vag supplied, vag supplied replacement stock bodykit, bare metal respray to stock colour, refurb stock RA bbs's, all recpeits and mot's since new, well under 100k on stock engine...not messed with. Thinking of selling on soon.
Old 28 November 2005, 10:50 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neutral Cruiser
I've owned 2 of the cleanest Mark 2 16v's going before. I like them and would consider px on the scoob i'm selling for one that was right.
Mine is clean, will get some shots and stick it up in the for sale... perhaps some of you lads could proivde some support once it's up? (Sorry admins BTW... )
Old 28 November 2005, 11:59 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife owned a 90 spec 16 valve and that one had power steering. The car was a great car but it did need the ball at the base of the gear lever replacing It's a git of a job so beware of it. Sadly some idiot wrote it off nearly 2 years ago just before Christmas I liked it lots
Old 29 November 2005, 12:17 AM
scoobys20mgh
Scooby Regular

I had one a couple of years ago, helios blue 16v, real hoot of a car to drive, felt quick even if you weren't going that fast!!! reliable as well, totally different to drive as previously mentioned to the 8v which I had before that. Lots of torque low down the rev range in the 8v, you don't get much pull in the 16v till much later in the rev range.
Great car for not a lot of money if you buy the right one, destined to be a classic in my very humble opinion.
Old 29 November 2005, 04:59 AM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

I had a Helios blue 89 16V when I was 19, and it was a fantastic car.

Fitted 17" alloys though and I agree with the above that they handle better with 15"s. I seem to remember the 16V's didn't like having a cone filter fitted, as the injection system was mechanical (k-jetronic). Cones were ok on the 8V's though (Digifant?). I just fitted a K&N panel filter, and popped the side off the airbox to flow more air, and along with the Supersprint SS exhaust it sounded gorgeous! Used to get some lovely pops out of the exhaust as well changing from 1st > 2nd .

I'd love another one, but it would have to be a minter. Nowhere near as fast as my Scooby, but there's just something about them. VW totally lost the plot with the Mk3 IMHO (well the VR6 is ok I suppose).
Old 29 November 2005, 09:49 AM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

I'll be sticking mine up in the for sale section soon... any positive coments welcomed!
If you want a minter.. its the one.
Old 29 November 2005, 01:19 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

I sold a 16v Mk2 to buy my scooby, after pricing up the conversion to a 1.8T motor, and realising it was cheaper to just by a Scoob. Nice car though. Paid £400 for it on ebay, but it needed a bit of work. E reg, but had the big bumbers (usually 1990 --> ) PAS and leccy windows, which is a rare combination. Not big on toys, '80s German cars!
Once any wear in the suspension is sorted, they are a hoot to drive. Had 8v's too, but slightly prefer the 16 - better suspension and bigger brakes, though still not great.
Classless and timeless IMHO.
Old 30 November 2005, 06:29 PM
scooby turbo
Scooby Regular

Hello a mate of mine has a mk2 golf 16v he has done a lot of engine work on it and it gose very well . its super charged its got water injection bigger cams remaped race clutch bigger brakes the list gose on and on and all done by his self GOOD ON HIM . had a word with him he rec. a mk2 golf with a 2000 con already done is the 1 to look out for as a lot of time and money doing it your self
Old 30 November 2005, 06:47 PM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

love em to bits meself one of them cars i always liked but never owned, this is a mate of a mates 285bhp 310lb/ft 1.8 20v turbo.(conversion by dubsport)

http://photobucket.com/albums/v365/s...0golf%20turbo/ sorry about picture quality cameras crap at night will get some pics in the day sometime though its a bit of a sleeper tbh and doesnt look like it goes at all lol
Old 30 November 2005, 10:53 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Had a mint unmodified MK2 8v golf which I restored recently.
Things to watch for some of which have been mentioned

Leaking nearside front passenger doors -damp carpet.
Ball joint underneath gearleaver - yes it is a bitch of a job!
Bearings go in the radiator fans.
Rear brake calipers are prone to doing.
Tappets are prone to getting noisy

Those are the the most common faults.
What a great car. Backend handling - sublime. I found the front a bit too light for my liking -but thats 80s hot hatches for you.
Prefer the 8v to the 16. More usable torque - although the 16 is better at the top end when the 8v runs out of puff.

Steve
Old 01 December 2005, 03:05 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Sticking this up in the for sale section tonight.

Pics dreadfull as the weathers not too hot here and it was just washed so not exactly blinging but you get the idea.

Just had bare metal respray and all new original vag supplied everything.. (a b1tch to source now belive it or not..) bumpers, bodykit, all rubber seals.. (read: every single one), new locks etc etc basically everthing that could be replaced has been including recon box. 10k in receipts this year alone. Alloys refurbed, brand new brakes front and rear, pads, brake lines.. yadda yadda... Full 12 months MOT & 10 months Tax yadda yadda.

Bought from a friend with too much money and now bored and conducting a resto on another classic...

25-40 MPG depending on mood and rock solid residuals for the future.

Dread to think I'll have to stick on fleabay.. can just see it now... how much for cash now mate... frankly I'd rather keep it than someone attempt to improve it by modding...

Old 01 December 2005, 03:19 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Used to want an Oak Green one
Old 01 December 2005, 03:27 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Sticking this up in the for sale section tonight.

Pics dreadfull as the weathers not too hot here and it was just washed so not exactly blinging but you get the idea.

Just had bare metal respray and all new original vag supplied everything.. (a b1tch to source now belive it or not..) bumpers, bodykit, all rubber seals.. (read: every single one), new locks etc etc basically everthing that could be replaced has been including recon box. 10k in receipts this year alone. Alloys refurbed, brand new brakes front and rear, pads, brake lines.. yadda yadda... Full 12 months MOT & 10 months Tax yadda yadda.

Bought from a friend with too much money and now bored and conducting a resto on another classic...

25-40 MPG depending on mood and rock solid residuals for the future.

Dread to think I'll have to stick on fleabay.. can just see it now... how much for cash now mate... frankly I'd rather keep it than someone attempt to improve it by modding...

That is soooooooo mint
Old 01 December 2005, 04:26 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy M3
That is soooooooo mint
Thanks
Well TBH the 'just washed' look is best left for old bangers.. a shame as the weather is sh1te just now and it really needs the bling Autoglym treatment to shine..
Old 01 December 2005, 05:13 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

You can't polish a turd - so irrespective of whether your car is physically clean or not, you can tell a mint car from a **** box !

Yours looks spot on mate - so how much do you want for it ?
Old 01 December 2005, 05:29 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy M3
You can't polish a turd - so irrespective of whether your car is physically clean or not, you can tell a mint car from a **** box !

Yours looks spot on mate - so how much do you want for it ?
Price.. tricky one. Lets say you could either buy a smokey 93' WRX fresh of the boat needing some TLC kind of money... scary to think about it actually.. my STi Turbo, injectors, AndyF map and mods would buy this car... cheap motoring for somebody..

Mods: sorry for the near classified ad nature of this thread
Old 01 December 2005, 05:33 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Ok... easier to do it this way... look for the number 4594861288 in a certain well known site... will keep the ods happy and stops thios thread becoming a classified ad.

Cheers all.

Old 01 December 2005, 06:10 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

I've bid up to a 1K and it's still not hit reserve. How much?
Old 01 December 2005, 07:16 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jer
I've bid up to a 1K and it's still not hit reserve. How much?
Thanks for bidding, I've set the reserve to be what I consider a fair price for the car andmy bottom price.. it's not really the kind of car that comes up every day and as such may need a couple of weeks to go or perhaps next show season. We shall see. Pop through and see the car if you wish before the auction ends.
Old 01 December 2005, 07:27 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

Thanks for bidding, I've set the reserve to be what I consider a fair price for the car andmy bottom price.. it's not really the kind of car that comes up every day and as such may need a couple of weeks to go or perhaps next show season. We shall see. Pop through and see the car if you wish before the auction ends.
It's very nice and I would love it but can't justify spending much more money on a third car unless I sold my scooby, and I don't want to do that. Good luck with the sale. I don't know what it's worth but I guess you would be looking close to double.
Old 01 December 2005, 08:22 PM
AC1
Scooby Regular

Be prepare to tarvel a fair bit of distance and find the right one, there's a few dogs about and most of them in autotrader has some crappy mods on it like jetta lights and venom wheels etc, but take your time and have a look at websites like www.edition38.com/board and www.clubgti.com/forum for cars for sale.

Don't cost much for a very useable one, can pick a very useable F reg up for 5-800. In the two years since I had it, apart from a split CV boot, couple of top mounts and a blown headgasket due to me missing a split vacum pipe after the AFM, it has been relatively reliable and very cheap to run as well.

Last edited by AC1; 07 December 2005 at 01:05 AM.
Old 01 December 2005, 08:55 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jer
It's very nice and I would love it but can't justify spending much more money on a third car unless I sold my scooby, and I don't want to do that. Good luck with the sale. I don't know what it's worth but I guess you would be looking close to double.
Thanks for the interest in any case.
Old 01 December 2005, 09:37 PM
merlin
Scooby Regular

Very nice AC1 - I always wanted a late oak green 8v. Doubt I will ever get one now

Quick Reply: Late model Mk2 Golf 16V's...