Octavia VRS vs Saab 9-3 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2005, 05:22 AM
lowlander
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Octavia VRS vs Saab 9-3 Turbo

Which is the better bet for 6K?

did all Octavias produce 180 bhp? Saabs come in several power outputs dependiong on the turbo (154 bhp, 185bhp, and 205 bhp I think)

Reckon the Octavia might handle better. Not sure about performance, probably not too much in it.

Any comments or advice welcome.

Thanks.

Martin.
Old 25 November 2005, 08:12 AM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

Think the only issue with the Skoda will be build quality.Heard a few stories of interior and exterior fit and finish being below average.
As for the Saab's,if had a few and they have always been good for me,never been any issues or scares while i have owned them,mine have always cost me next to nothing on running costs.

Brett C knows plenty about the Saab's,so he may be able to help you better than me,also think GC8 has recently bought a 93 turbo LPT and is enjoyng ownership.

Personally i would go for the Saab,but im biased..
Old 25 November 2005, 09:06 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

All the vRS are 180bhp, the 4x4 1.8T was 150bhp. Octavia probably a bit cheaper to run 'cos of the big VAG parts bin.

My old man has had a 1.6 Octavia from new, 5 years old, absolutely nothing has fallen off / broken / needed fixing. Good solid car.
Old 25 November 2005, 09:34 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Octavia for me
Old 25 November 2005, 10:13 AM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

Thanks FSF but my post GM saab knowledge isn't that great. So on this basis alone I am definately not the best person to advise.
However I am on pre GM saab number 7 and I have to say that you get an incredibly lot of car for your money.

I think it is J4CKO who has currently got a LPT 93. He may be better able to comment.

If I had to choose I think I would also have to get the Saab. They have been pretty good to me. Also, 'better the devil you know'!
Old 25 November 2005, 10:55 AM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

These are a great resource.

www.uksaabs.co.uk

www.saabscene.com
Old 25 November 2005, 12:39 PM
matchmaker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatscoobyfella
Think the only issue with the Skoda will be build quality.Heard a few stories of interior and exterior fit and finish being below average.
Skoda build quality? Not an issue. An Octavia is a very well built car and there are very few stories of poor fit and finish. My vRS has covered 14000 miles in 11 months, including a couple of trackdays, and has never caused me any problems. It's now remapped to 216bhp/225 lbft and is going better than ever.

Not that I'm biased
Old 25 November 2005, 12:48 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of the earlier Octavias had the usual VAG problems of coil packs, and they are all at risk of MAF sensor problems, but they shouldn't blow up like a Scooby when this happens.

The interior trim is hard plastic and marks easily, and the rear doors and hatch let in water when opened after it rains. A lot of them make noises from the rear brakes in reverse.

Economy is excellent. Brakes are a bit grabby but you get used to them, handling is good for VAG, could do with rear anti-roll bar. Road noise is a little high compared with the best.

Overall, an excellent car for the money.
Old 25 November 2005, 01:44 PM
skinters
Scooby Regular

On the Saab:
I think relibility on thse is pretty good and parts are not silly price wise. Post 100k you need to think about cam chains etc. Can't see there being a hige difference between Skoda and Saab running costs but the Saab will cost you more.(IMHO)
The 9-3 2.0t (LPT) gives 150bhp but for £500 (Stage 1 tuning) it becomes a 215bhp car with more power than standard 2.0T, HOT AND Aero models so value for money is best on a cheeky upgrade of the LPT.

For the same £500 on other models:
2.0T - std 185bhp up to 235bhp
2.0T HOT Sport - std 200bhp up to 235bhp
2.0T HOT Aero - std 205bhp up to 250bhp
2.3T Viggen std 230bhp up to 275bhp

I know handling is a bit questionable on some of these cars and there is a raft of aftermarket stuff to sort it out. I imagine the Aero is OK but low specs might be pretty woolly. - No idea what they are like compared to Skoda though so might be similar.

have a rumage in here for parts prices and some of the tuning stuff ( I know you didnt mention tuning but it's always more interesting that way )

www.elkparts.co.uk
www.maptun.com
www.partsforsaabs.co.uk
Old 25 November 2005, 03:56 PM
www.GT4oc.com
Scooby Regular

I had a 9-3 Turbo. Great car.. comfortable, fast-ish, handle well and look good.
Simple for me, i'd rather be seen in a Saab than a Skoda any day
Old 25 November 2005, 04:32 PM
skinters
Scooby Regular

Actually, now I've had a look, I'd take the Saab. (I'm biased though) Just looks classy in the right spec.

Pics are a bit scrappy but you get the idea
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2001-SAAB-9-3-...QQcmdZViewItem

In the budget ball park, and was £22k new. Not sure if it's older than you are looking for though.
Old 25 November 2005, 05:18 PM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

Heres mine...

Cheap as chips!!

http://photobucket.com/albums/a369/alpinaman/
Old 26 November 2005, 12:31 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

As Brett said, I have a 9-3 LPT, bought it in March for 4 grand, 70k, full Saab history, mine is a basic one but its got what I need for a 23 mile round trip commute, came with new tyres and had been serviced recently (in MOT) so very good value for a car not even four years old. It pulls really well (0-60 in 8 dead, 30-70 in 7.5) for a sedate looking motor, 225 bhp for 500 quid with a chip, might do it but it drives so well I cant really justify the money, plus as it has fairly ancient underpinnings and comparatively narrow tyres it may overwhelm the chassis. They are built to last and it feels like it has years left in it, still seems like a newish car. I have gone up against all sorts from my favourite sets of lights and it will shock a Cooper S, close run thing against an early Boxster. I do suspect that they (when run in) produce a little more than 150 bhp !

I do also rate the Octavia, mate did 80 k in a 1.8 T model, loved it and bought an RS, loves it even more, I agree that Saab does sound a bit more upmarket than Skodas but who cares. I think the Octavia's chassis may be slightly better but its still no class leader.

I think you should drive both, keep and open mind and buy the best one you can get for the money, use the Autotrader search, there are plenty about, well the Saab anyway, mine was bought locally cos I had got sick of traispsing 30 miles to look at doggy Golf GTI's with mega mileages. I would go for the Saab as nobody assumes its a minicab !
Old 27 November 2005, 09:28 PM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

Just a note..This weekend my Saab did a 323 mile round trip on £30 of juice..
Excellent i say!!
Old 27 November 2005, 10:47 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Yep, wonderful, bet you will never sell a car as good as that.......
Old 28 November 2005, 01:51 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I would buy the Skoda,

I think you would get a better one with lower milage for the money, and I prefer the look of the Skoda personally
Old 02 December 2005, 12:30 PM
Quinten
Scooby Regular

I have a vRS and love it to bits. Remapped to 216bhp from 45K (now on 102K) and apart from uprated pads, completely standard(-ish ). Anyway, not too long ago I came accross a Saab 93 (or is it 9-3?) who was up for a bit of driving at speed (on my private road ofcourse). Between the two cars there was nothing to it, and I was greatly surprised at the performance of the Saab, up to the point where I would check out the specs on the website the next day

I do would like to point out that the vRS has been designed for performance and as such has stiffer suspension, wider tyres, etc, so that will help if you have to throw it around a track. For every day driving it won't matter at all.

Q.
Old 02 December 2005, 02:27 PM
maxim
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatscoobyfella
what the **** are you on?