Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Supra TT / RX7 / MR2T

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2005, 06:59 PM
Midmotorsteve
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supra TT / RX7 / MR2T

Right my MR2 T has melted a piston, so do I have it rebuilt with forged pistons the full works bigish turbo mapping etc the full deal. It'll cost about 5K to do, but should output about 350bhp ( I want a track car not a drag car) and be better than new. OPTION A

or

Sell MR2 on ebay for parts and save untill I have £8K and get a 1995 vvti RZ-S SUPRA 6sp manual. OPTION B

or

Sell the MR2 on ebay for parts and save untill I have £8K and get a 1995 RX7 TT manual OPTION C

Car is only a weekend toy and will likely get equal use on trackdays and the road.

Which option and why?
Old 22 November 2005, 09:33 PM
abbiesdad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midmotorsteve
Right my MR2 T has melted a piston, so do I have it rebuilt with forged pistons the full works bigish turbo mapping etc the full deal. It'll cost about 5K to do, but should output about 350bhp ( I want a track car not a drag car) and be better than new. OPTION A

or

Sell MR2 on ebay for parts and save untill I have £8K and get a 1995 vvti RZ-S SUPRA 6sp manual. OPTION B

or

Sell the MR2 on ebay for parts and save untill I have £8K and get a 1995 RX7 TT manual OPTION C

Car is only a weekend toy and will likely get equal use on trackdays and the road.

Which option and why?
supra you wont have to rebuild it .. unless you crash it
Old 22 November 2005, 09:37 PM
Pumpkin
Scooby Senior

Fix the MR2 with a donor enigne, sell it and then get the Supra.
Old 22 November 2005, 09:50 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

8k will buy you a superb fully rebuilt RX7 which I'll suggest you go for. superb handling (better than the brick that is a supra ) and awsome power delivery... for 8k you MAY even be able to stretch to a single turbo. thats when the fun starts
Old 22 November 2005, 10:20 PM
abbiesdad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
8k will buy you a superb fully rebuilt RX7 which I'll suggest you go for. superb handling (better than the brick that is a supra ) and awsome power delivery... for 8k you MAY even be able to stretch to a single turbo. thats when the fun starts
8k may even get you an rx7 thats been fully rebuilt twice.... my tumble dryer has the same engine but that has a 3 year warrenty
Old 22 November 2005, 10:54 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by abbiesdad
8k may even get you an rx7 thats been fully rebuilt twice.... my tumble dryer has the same engine but that has a 3 year warrenty
TT supra for def man, can take so much power easily and reliably, classic looks and the drivin position is just the business! im currently sellin my sti type r for one!
Old 23 November 2005, 09:20 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by abbiesdad
Not nessisarily... many a good car out there at the minute for 8k ish
Old 23 November 2005, 10:43 AM
EvoBarry
Scooby Regular

RX7 drives nicer than the Supra but the Supra motor is bullet proof - generally regarded as the strongest motor around, can take big power on standard internals etc. And they handle ok for a big boat too as far as I'm concerned.

Both drink fuel badly when driven properly, RX7 just drinks fuel period. For me I'd take the RX7 and save some dosh for possible rebuilds, it was just the nicer car to hustle imho.

Mate of mine has one of each, both have their merits tbh
Old 23 November 2005, 12:14 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

unless u have money to back up incase the rx7 ****s itself, and lets be honest they do have a tendency for it..already said TT Supra in my opinion, u will be lucky tho to get a clean 93 supra tt 6spd for 8k man!standard maybe but u want the goodies,easily and cheap to make 400bhp, reliable reliable reliable, its what its all about too i feel man, unless u got the ddooossshh! as soon as the sti is sold im there
Old 23 November 2005, 12:19 PM
TyPe~~R
Scooby Regular

You'll be lucky to find a Manual supra anyway, 95per cent are ****ty auto's
Old 23 November 2005, 01:18 PM
EvoBarry
Scooby Regular

True enough, my mates Supra TT is an auto - not that this seems to slow it much
Old 23 November 2005, 05:41 PM
imi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EvoBarry
True enough, my mates Supra TT is an auto - not that this seems to slow it much
Auto Supra are NOT slow, the auto gearbox is actually very very good....me, I personally prefer a Manual and waited 6 months to find mine. Havent looked back...car is faultless...and monsterously quick....
Old 23 November 2005, 06:18 PM
screech
Scooby Regular

track car i'd go for either rebuilding your mr2 or go for the rx7
Old 23 November 2005, 07:02 PM
imi
Scooby Regular

agree with screech there.....for a track car i would go with a lightweight mr2 or the Rx7
Old 23 November 2005, 07:19 PM
abbiesdad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by screech
track car i'd go for either rebuilding your mr2 or go for the rx7
supra is not a bad track car .... many teams still us them to great effect
Old 23 November 2005, 07:38 PM
imi
Scooby Regular

While its not bad...its designed to be a GT cruiser......and is best suited for longer tracks. I'd personally go for a lightweight nimble nippy car like a MR2 / RX7 / Elise type....if reliability is a major concern, then the Mr2 anyday.
Old 23 November 2005, 07:57 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Stick with the MR2. Supra is a big heavy car to throw around on track and the RX will cause you problems with noise regs - anything other than a standard backbox runs a large chance of failing noise tests. They don't sound any louder to the human ear, but sound meters don't like rotaries.

It depends on the tracks you plan to frequent, but a Caterfield would be a better choice if you avoid high speed circuits.
Old 23 November 2005, 10:29 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

or

or

Which option and why?
dude vvti model didnt come out til 1998
Old 23 November 2005, 11:53 PM
imi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by flat4_ire
dude vvti model didnt come out til 1998
96-97
Old 24 November 2005, 05:04 PM
Midmotorsteve
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imi
96-97
ok, lots of misleading or plain wrong info on the web, since posting most places do say '98 for vvti, but I have also read that all RS-Z cars built after 1995 were all manual. Most cars on sale are GZ cars that all seem to be autos and more expensive, I'd prefere the RS-Z as less toys, tin-top, weigh less, also cost less most 1995 cars I've seen are 8K or less.

Seems less RX7 choice of younger cars, I can't find any info about RX7s except basic series / generation dates, nothing about models anyone any links? Seems the series 7 cars that are the second release of generation 3 cars are the ones to go for produced after 1994 when they went up from 255ps to 280ps 8K does seem to be able to buy one of these rebuilt or really low mileage. The Jimmys place does RX7 rebuilds for £1500 anyway thats cheaper than anywhere will quote to do the MR2 engine, so not that concerned about potential rebuild, as long as it then lasts at least 50,000 miles.

Think the MR2 is just a bit dated as far as suspension etc goes, supra & rx7 both benefiting from double wishbones. The RZ-S supra is according to toyota only 40kg heavier than a MR2 GT T-Bar turbo.... It wouldn't be hard to make it a lot lighter.

Thanks for the input
Old 24 November 2005, 05:08 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Midmotorsteve]ok, lots of misleading or plain wrong info on the web, since posting most places do say '98 for vvti, but I have also read that all RS-Z cars built after 1995 were all manual. Most cars on sale are GZ cars that all seem to be autos and more expensive, I'd prefere the RS-Z as less toys, tin-top, weigh less, also cost less most 1995 cars I've seen are 8K or less.

right as ive said..the vvti model did not come out til 1998 for a start, and from 95 on there were still auto's made, all the way to end of production!!
the aero tops were only made in auto and stopped production in 94
Old 24 November 2005, 05:27 PM
Midmotorsteve
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by supra owners club
What are the various Supra models available and which one do I want? (Part IV)

Oh, and one final thing - remember that the RZ was manual only from 1995 onwards. So if you want an auto you're outta luck on that particular model. Bah.

Like I said then lots of duff info on the web, this particular info from the supras owners club, frequently asked questions stickies ...

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=46656

Last edited by Midmotorsteve; 24 November 2005 at 05:30 PM.
Old 24 November 2005, 05:41 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Don't see the problem with rx7's with regards to engine builds myself.

Most of them have been clocked when they come into the country and you end up with an 'alleged' 50 - 60k mile car needing a rebuild. You only have to look at the UK ones to see this.

Even so, the price of a build is quite low compared to say an sti and you can even get a video and DIY

Quite a handful when the 2nd turbo kicks in though (especially if you're in any position other than straight and have been driving 4wd cars for years)
Old 24 November 2005, 05:51 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Price off the average rebuild on an RX7 is approximately 3k... depends what goes wrong and what parts are reuseable.... Jimmys will probably do you a rebuild for £1500 using most of the original parts cleaned up... I should imagine his prices are FROM £1500.... Many have spent about £4000 on a rebuild maybe even more if the turbos need replacing.

Saying that a freshly rebuilt engine on a clean car for about £8k should easily last you 50k miles provided its looked after. obviously life expectancy decreases when the power is increased as with all engines though.
Old 24 November 2005, 06:28 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I had a bill for just over £2k (which I thought was ok)
Old 25 November 2005, 02:53 AM
imi
Scooby Regular

Right as ive said..the vvti model did not come out til 1998 for a start, and from 95 on there were still auto's made, all the way to end of production!!
the aero tops were only made in auto and stopped production in 94[/QUOTE]

Facelift supras came out in 1996, in 1997 they started coming out with the VVTI engines.... I have seen many 1997 VVTI for sale.

And there are far more autos than manuals...the ratio is 20:1 or 30:1

mkivsupra.net

from a supra owner....
Old 25 November 2005, 01:18 PM
Beef
Scooby Regular

Like I said then lots of duff info on the web, this particular info from the supras owners club, frequently asked questions stickies ...

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=46656
The RZ may be manual only, but the RZ-S can be either manual or auto.
Old 25 November 2005, 06:26 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Beef
The RZ may be manual only, but the RZ-S can be either manual or auto.
rz is pre 95, rz-s is post 95 with recaro interior and only came in 6spd manual
Old 27 November 2005, 09:45 AM
Beef
Scooby Regular

Ah, no, on the facelift you have both RZ and RZ-S - the RZ-S replaced the pre-facelift RZ, and is the 'base' car. It was definitely available in either manual or auto.
Old 27 November 2005, 11:24 AM
Midmotorsteve
Scooby Regular

so general consensus is supra or rebuild the MR2, but no one can decided on the ACTUAL specs and ages the Supras are available in... I've done alot of trawling and looking at adverts and it does seem 1998 on vvti, RZ-S 1995 on manual only as its the lighterweight 'sport version' bit like the MR2 GT-S. So I see I can't afford a 1998 on car, unless I plan another 6 months saving, so the one I'd go for would be a 1995 RZ-S manual 6 speed tintop, preferably in white may take a while to find as all the importers seem to understandably bring in the high spec GZ cars that are almost all autos.

RX7 I could do with finding more out about anyone tell me what models there were that existed 1994 onwards?

Quick Reply: Supra TT / RX7 / MR2T