Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Would you stick with a Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2005, 06:20 PM
wide
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you stick with a Diesel

Just wondering I have owned my skoda fabia vrs for a couple of months now and its a great car. The things I love are cheap running cost, good dealer backup, pretty good drive for a heavy diesel lump, superb power for what it is,very nice build quality and plenty of potential to tune and toy with the standard ride set up.
Prior to this i had A 95 wrx and then before that a sport.

Cant get the scooby bug out of my head though, but do think been there done that and all the vaues of , rip off insurance, high maintenance, high fuel cost also stick with me. Part me says I have been there done that, the trouble comes with coming to sites like this, and more importantly seeing them out on the road, brings all the love back

Just wondered if anybody else feals this way, it seems as hard as stopping smoking!!
Old 22 November 2005, 06:42 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a classic scoob a few years ago, i modded it a bit (turbo back magnex, colour coded, etc) and decided it was too risky to leave parked where i worked (dodgy area).
I sold it after having it for just 4 months and was glad to get rid (for piece of mind) - i then had the bug again a couple of years later (new job with locked compound) and bought a bug-eye, modded it up again (sti spoiler, full zorst, bodykit, etc) and after 4 months (i get the 3 month itch )decided it wasn't economical as i only drove it to - from work so got rid.
After having a few cars inbetween i now have a Fabia VRS - 1 month after getting it i've modded it with full leather retrim (standard seats are too light), Jabba chip, and quite a few other bits. I've now had it almost 3 months (the itch should be coming) and i'm still modding it and don't want to get rid? this must be the first car i've had that i aren't thinking of trading in after the "new car feeling" has worn off
Old 24 November 2005, 12:43 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

I'm striving to have both. I have thought about selling the Scooby numerous times, and after moving offices earlier this year, I almost did. The prospect of leaving it on a street each day wasn't appealing. So I bought a nail of a Rover, well, it's actually quite good... but dull to drive. So next year I'm hoping to get a vRS.

That way I'll still have the flat-four burble when I feel the need, but also have a slightly more exciting daily-drive, which is still economical. Just need to w*rk out the pennies to ensure I can afford it...
Old 24 November 2005, 12:54 PM
Rabid
BANNED

Know what you mean. Had an older Impreza for a while and like you say got p*ssed off with the costs and 7.5K service hassle. Swapped over to a MKIV diesel PD150+remap, quickish, loads of toys, great interiors but and it's a biggie, where is the fun and where is the traction? Started me thinking sod it and buy an EVO but then reality hit home and where do all the answers to my motoring questions lie? A new age scooby.
Old 24 November 2005, 04:01 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

I will NEVER buy a Diesel.
Old 24 November 2005, 05:53 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

To be honest I wouldn't go back to Petrol for a daily car.

If I had more money to spend then I would probably go for a 330D or A4 3.0V6 TDi Quattro.

With a lottery win then I would have some petrol toys in the garage along with a A8 4.2V8 TDi.

I've had big engined petrol V6's and Turbo Petrol cars for 20 years but the running costs as well as todays congestion and speed issues mean a modern TDi does the job just as well for far less.
A track day toy is on the cards though.

Cheers
Lee
Old 24 November 2005, 11:13 PM
Dave uk blue mica
Scooby Regular

i've now got a golf gt tdi 130 and its a awesome car for running about in, fantastic on fuel and a great car to drive and it can be left anywhere with no worries, i sort of miss my old MY99 uk impreza but not enough to go back to one for daily use, i've recently bought a MY95 sti ra though but thats only going to be used for rallying.
Old 25 November 2005, 07:47 AM
wide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rr_ww
I will NEVER buy a Diesel.

Hardly worth bothering to answer then

If you read the thread I am sure it said "would you stick with" implying the people have already got one