Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

330Ci Cab

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2005, 09:22 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 330Ci Cab

Seriously considering one of these in the new year, either cab or coup, just wondered if anyone had any expirience with them with feedback.

Am looking at around 2002/3 model.

Will be going to main stealer to have a nose tomorrow, but wondered what kind of spec they came with/ power etc.

Many Thanks

Cookie
Old 18 November 2005, 09:27 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Nice car
Old 18 November 2005, 09:45 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Power is c231bhp and they feel extremely smooth to drive... I drove a Clubsport model and it suprised me at how quickly it built speed, but how smooth it was whilst doing it.

If you can stretch to it, they seriously consider a 330 Coupe/Cabrio Diesel, we're close to buying one and its pretty amazing performance with c40mpg.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 18 November 2005, 09:47 PM
trackman
Scooby Regular

I've got the 330ci se coupe. Great car, great engine and chassis, nice to drive and very comfortable imo. Not too expensive to run either, good on fuel - well for a 3 litre petrol anyway, I get 27mpg around town and 35mpg on the motorway. 15k miles service intervals too, handy!

Spend the extra though and go for the 'sport' model. Much better looking than the se I reckon.
Old 19 November 2005, 12:17 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

just to add to this, colour would have to be silver, looks the best to me.

Is it worth going through the main dealer or best to searcj out a private deal?

Cookie
Old 19 November 2005, 12:51 AM
Luke C
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like these. They certainly are a nice piece of kit!

Only thing that puts me off is I guess like a lot of cars, some of the people who buy them are...well....Wnakers! Not that anyone on here is of course

Seriously though I would love one. Mind you cookstar it a bit fookin cold to think about drop tops!
Old 19 November 2005, 01:02 AM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

Lovely looking car and well made etc, the only bug bear I have is the offset driving position and how close together the pedals are. That said I am 6ft 2" tall and size 12 feet which probably does not help, however I really struggled with the pedals in the 330 CI i drove.

So if your average size and don't have canal barges for fett i am sure you will love it - happy hunting.

Paul
Old 19 November 2005, 02:02 AM
Luke C
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gingerboy
Lovely looking car and well made etc, the only bug bear I have is the offset driving position and how close together the pedals are. That said I am 6ft 2" tall and size 12 feet which probably does not help, however I really struggled with the pedals in the 330 CI i drove.

So if your average size and don't have canal barges for fett i am sure you will love it - happy hunting.

Paul
Probably the best car advice I have heard on here for ages!
Old 19 November 2005, 02:02 AM
uno70s
Scooby Newbie

I had an 02 plate 330CI sport before I got the WRX and too be honest it was a big disappointment. The engine is good and the car is fast but I can't say I enjoyed driving it that much. I think the 18" wheels are too much resulting in a fairly harsh ride. The car was also rather tail happy in the wet.

If you are going to get one then make sure it has the leather interior cause the seats are much better.

With regards to reliability mine had numerous electrical glitches usualy involving the engine management light coming on and the car switching to "get home" mode. BMW did try to fix it but in the end I gave up and got rid of the car.
Old 19 November 2005, 02:16 AM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by uno70s
The car was also rather tail happy in the wet.
Originally Posted by uno70s
I can't say I enjoyed driving it that much.

Those two phrases arent usually used in the same sentence.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 19 November 2005, 11:35 AM
Gav
Scooby Regular

i've got a 54 plate 320 Ci and it's a stunning car to drive. Really smooth and quiet but just under powered, the 330 is not Test drove one of those and they are great, loads of power and can be very tail happy!! Only reason i didnt go for one is because of the fuel consumption ( i do a lot of miles) otherwise i would have!! The noise from the straight 6 is gorgeous Oh and the only colour to go for is the Silver Grey

Gav..
Old 19 November 2005, 11:54 AM
big MO
Scooby Regular

My 330ci vert was a great car. It was SE spec (all but TV/SAT), had it lowered and some deep dish 19s fitted. A great workhorse and blingy. An absolute looker - you can't go far wrong with the vert and the residuals are very good. Get one - loads of tuning can also be done to them too.
Old 19 November 2005, 12:34 PM
uno70s
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by RS Grant
Those two phrases arent usually used in the same sentence.

Cheers,
Grant
LOL fair point. Too scary for me though.

Didn't help when my mate managed a full 360 in his 5 series whilst leaving a motorway in the wet. Brown trouser time.

With regards to residuals mine lost 13K in 30 months. My mates 330 salon lost 20K in 40 months. I ain't complaining but I don't see that they're any better than other cars.
Old 19 November 2005, 12:59 PM
SJJ84
Scooby Regular

I recently brought a 2001 330ci sport. I think it's a brilliant car, very subtle and fairly quick. The ride is a bit bumpy I have to agree with the 18's, very low profile tyres and sport suspension, but it's not back jarringly bad. Spec levels are pretty good. I'd advise you to get the sport or at least the se with the sports seats as personnally I think they are lot more comfortable. I think all the sports models have electric memory seats, mine does so I assume it was standard when new. The standard stereo isn't ment to be upto much, I've got the Harmon Kardon upgrade, which still isn't the best, but it's good enough. Fuel consumption isn't too bad for a 3 litre petrol. Although to be fair, from what I've read the 330d is ment to be even better, might be worth a look.
Old 19 November 2005, 01:10 PM
uno70s
Scooby Newbie

Only thing to watch with the sport models are the rear tires. 255/35R18 from memory which ain't cheap to replace. So make sure you check them out if your looking at a 2nd hand car.
Old 19 November 2005, 01:26 PM
SJJ84
Scooby Regular

Yeah that's true, something todo with them not being a common size. The rears cost about £50 more each than the front, plus they'd probably have to be ordered in rather than off the shelf.
Old 19 November 2005, 06:40 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luke C
I like these. They certainly are a nice piece of kit!

Only thing that puts me off is I guess like a lot of cars, some of the people who buy them are...well....Wnakers! Not that anyone on here is of course

Seriously though I would love one. Mind you cookstar it a bit fookin cold to think about drop tops!
I have been told the best time to look at buying a convertable is when its bloody freezin' not sure how true it is though.

Is there that much difference in driving experience between the 330 and the 325? There seems to be quite a big price gap.
Old 19 November 2005, 07:03 PM
SJJ84
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
I have been told the best time to look at buying a convertable is when its bloody freezin' not sure how true it is though.

Is there that much difference in driving experience between the 330 and the 325? There seems to be quite a big price gap.
You think so? When I was looking at buying a few months ago, I didn't really find much of a gap price wise. As for cheaper prices in the winter, I'm not sure it's such a truth with a car like the 3 series. It's perfectly comfortable in the freezing cold, perhaps with something like an elise you'd see a difference.
Old 19 November 2005, 07:23 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Ive got a 2001 330ci sport auto convertible, black with red leather, an absoultely stunning combo if I may say so myself!

Mine has harmon/kardon(CRAP!!.....and very diffiuclt to upgrade if you get the satnav/TV unit that I have)....everyhting is leccy, the hood is VERY snug and I cannot tell it is a soft top when the roof is up...

The roof is ultra slick and very quick coming up/down, all at the touch of one button(no clips etc to mess about with)

231bhp, provides adequate performance, BUT be warned**** the car is pretty heavy (1700kg), and the performance is somewhat blunted over the coupe equivalent

All in all, a very slick car, my only gripe is that it can be a bit juicy around town (i Get about 19mpg around town), but otherwise a very well built, classy car...

PM me if you have any Qs!
Old 19 November 2005, 08:19 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Old man has a coupe in silver, with the 18" MV alloys, sports leather seats with memory etc. Very nice motor and smooth engine, strangely doesn't feel that fast probably down to it being so smooth. Going by the butt dyno it's slightly slower and noticably less torquey under 3000 RPM compared to my 840Ci (heavier but with a 4.4 V8). Sounds very nice too, much nicer than the 4-pots but not as nice as the V8!

I agree the ride is quite firm, but not enough that I find it intrusive. Feedback from the car is excellent, particularly the steering feel - this is one area where the 3-series is noticably better than its cheaper FWD rivals (e.g. Mondeo). Wouldn't worry too much about it being tail happy as AFAIK all 330Ci have dynamic stability control which does a good job of keeping it pointing the right way. It can be switched off with a button on the dash if you know how to drive sideways safely though

Personally I'd go for the coupe - the extra 200Kg or so for the cabrio would probably make the car feel sluggish rather than sparkling, and the handling is supposedly affected too. But even more importantly, make sure it's a manual so you get the most enjoyment from it. I think some 330Ci sports come with a 6-speed box but my dad's is a 5-speed. My 840Ci is a 6-speed and 6th is great for M-way cruising.

Paul.
Old 19 November 2005, 10:58 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

that was also a big decission to make, manual or auto.

I have always said i would never have an automatic, but i think it kind of suits that kind of car, will drive both to see myself
Old 21 November 2005, 01:43 AM
Dan J
Scooby Regular

Good choice of car. This is what I was looking to change to myself next year but the head has ruled the heart and the 330d has won me over for its all round package of performance, economy and dare I say it practicality! Although I'm sure I'd regret it as soon as the sun shined again! As already mentioned the 330 conv can get a bit thirsty around town especially with the auto box.

I also hear that Dec/Jan kind of time is the best to buy these too. You can even pic up some good deals from the stealers as well as they're harder to shift in the winter months. Always best to buy these in the winter and sell in the summer according to a BMW forum I read once.