Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Bugatti Veyron

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2005, 09:18 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bugatti Veyron

Just been reading about it in EVO magazine. Just totally blown away by it's performance. 1050BHP (spec sheet say's 1001PS, cos Dr Piech said it would achieve it) 0-62 in 2.5 sec, 0-125 in 7.3 sec, 0-186 in 16.7sec, and 0-250mph in 55.6sec. F@ck me.
I think the most impressive figure is this one:

If a Mac F1 went past a poised but stationary Veyron at 100mph, and the Veyron driver gunned it as the F1 passed, the Veyron would get to 200mph before the F1. Truly impressive.

Never really fancied a Veyron (if I was rich enough) but bloody hell, after reading that in EVO, I want one............. Badly
Old 11 November 2005, 09:24 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

I think I know of someone (nodding terms in the ring car park) who has one on order. As with most of his cars, I am sure it will see some ring action. Well, his Mac F1 and Carrera GT have so far.
Old 11 November 2005, 09:28 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stilover

If a Mac F1 went past a poised but stationary Veyron at 100mph, and the Veyron driver gunned it as the F1 passed, the Veyron would get to 200mph before the F1. Truly impressive.
Completely agree with you especially regarding the above quote. Just unbelievable.
Old 11 November 2005, 11:16 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

The stats for this car are crazy, but when you look at it it just doesnt look like it really means business, whereas the F1 does.

Its almost like its just been built as a headline-grabber, but the F1 was really built to be not just the fastest, but the best in every way, and with a passion.

Would still love a go in one, but for me the F1 and the F40 are still the ultimate.
Old 12 November 2005, 11:24 AM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Also worth noting that the 1000bhp is a minimal figure, In perfect cold conditions at sea level its more like 1180bhp
Old 12 November 2005, 11:34 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Shame it'll never be any lighter.

Quite fancy a quick lap in it though.
Old 12 November 2005, 11:37 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Have to agree Davy, beautiful motor car with stunning performance, only £700,000 though
Cheers
Colin
Old 12 November 2005, 11:40 AM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

Awesome 'super car'
Old 12 November 2005, 11:58 AM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

take the exhaust off and put a less restrictive cooling system on it and it will make 3000bhp

So I've been told
Old 12 November 2005, 12:51 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

andy f's car is surpasses it in all performance segements except top speed.
Old 12 November 2005, 12:54 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Patt@firstime
take the exhaust off and put a less restrictive cooling system on it and it will make 3000bhp

So I've been told
Attach a pair of wings and you can fly to the moon in it!... apparently!
Old 12 November 2005, 01:32 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the car magazines said it didnt feel 'that' quick, not quick in the way that a Noble or a F430 feels, they compared those to being inside a football being kicked.
Old 12 November 2005, 01:38 PM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95
Attach a pair of wings and you can fly to the moon in it!... apparently!
Good. Thanks.
Old 13 November 2005, 04:45 PM
skoda_kid
Scooby Regular

One of the car magazines said it didnt feel 'that' quick, not quick in the way that a Noble or a F430 feels, they compared those to being inside a football being kicked.
It may not feel 'that' quick, but it will certainly make an Enzo driver 'feel slow' as you come flying by in your Veyron.

Oh, and yes please, i would LOVE one

Matt
Old 14 November 2005, 03:42 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

From what I heard the problem with the engine is getting a gearbox / diff etc to take the power and keep the weight down (the thing was already 2-300kg over design spec IIRC).

The engine will easily put out 1500bhp but the transmission is not going to like it! Sure you could fit a super strong gear box and diff etc but its a road car and it would drive like a pig on the roads.
Old 15 November 2005, 04:30 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

F1 edges in Power per ton though. And the F1 has more than 300BHP LESS than the Veyron. Considering it only goes 10mph faster. Its not exactly as great as some people would have you beleive.

Current Top Gear magazine has Gordon Murray testing it. If he'd said it was good. Id truly beleive it.

Funnily enough he didnt
Old 15 November 2005, 04:56 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rr_ww
F1 edges in Power per ton though. And the F1 has more than 300BHP LESS than the Veyron. Considering it only goes 10mph faster. Its not exactly as great as some people would have you beleive.

Current Top Gear magazine has Gordon Murray testing it. If he'd said it was good. Id truly beleive it.

Funnily enough he didnt
It does 0-200mph quicker than the F1 does 100-200mph.

That is impressive.
Old 15 November 2005, 05:25 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

The Veyron's top speed is apparently electronically limited to 254mph (or there abouts), due to the tyres not being rated for higher speeds.

Unlimited I seem to remember reading people reckon it should be good for in the region of 265mph...
Old 15 November 2005, 05:29 PM
chris n`nic
Scooby Regular

10mph faster at those speeds is HUGE imo...plus the Bugatti probably has reasons for it`s weight ie saftey features etc

Chris
Old 15 November 2005, 06:02 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Just been reading about it in EVO magazine. Just totally blown away by it's performance. 1050BHP (spec sheet say's 1001PS, cos Dr Piech said it would achieve it) 0-62 in 2.5 sec, 0-125 in 7.3 sec, 0-186 in 16.7sec, and 0-250mph in 55.6sec. F@ck me.
I think the most impressive figure is this one:

Never really fancied a Veyron (if I was rich enough) but bloody hell, after reading that in EVO, I want one............. Badly
Im sure in last weeks 5th gear (the one with the extremely modded cars) they said that Simon Norris's Evo did 0-150mph in something like 8.5 secs. If so thats very impressive going on the above figures. Then again its 5th gear so not exactly gospel.

Simon.
Old 15 November 2005, 06:49 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Still would prefer the Saleen S7 twin turbo

only 750 Hp but quicker to 60 and much faster round a track thats not a banked oval.

Looks much better too
Old 15 November 2005, 06:54 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Oops, Saleen claim 2.8, but still a better supercar I think.
Old 16 November 2005, 09:51 AM
nisr227
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gary C
Oops, Saleen claim 2.8, but still a better supercar I think.
Not exactly the car to track though, if you could afford a Veyron then no doubt you would already have Radical SR8 or something if you were in to track days. Wonder if any of the rich boys will have a go at the gumball with one, that would be something else just to see!

Would be interesting to see what time and speeds the Veyron can do around the Nurburgring with one of the masters though, I heard they were seen testing there. Obviously its not going to have the outright grip or adjustablity that the trackday specials have due to its weight, but that shove will make some difference on the straights, and should easily be quicker than a Carrera GT around there, but by how much?

STEVE
www.letstorquebhp.com
Old 16 November 2005, 12:26 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

I would have thought the S7 would be exactly the type of car the super rich would take to the track.

Pure bread sports car designed as a semi track semi road car with mind blowing performance.
Old 16 November 2005, 03:27 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

some people on here do make me laugh.

only an extra 10mph etc.... do you realise the forces involved at those speeds, the extra power needed to overcome the drag is imense!

and if i passed a stationary car at 100mph in what was the fastest road car in the world for about a decade and he caught me up fairly rapidly, i'd be f*cking impressed!

I did read in EVO that a lightweight version is something they are considering....
Old 16 November 2005, 05:03 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wez_sti
some people on here do make me laugh.

only an extra 10mph etc.... do you realise the forces involved at those speeds, the extra power needed to overcome the drag is imense!

and if i passed a stationary car at 100mph in what was the fastest road car in the world for about a decade and he caught me up fairly rapidly, i'd be f*cking impressed!

I did read in EVO that a lightweight version is something they are considering....

If they car was a damn site more aerodynamic then it wouldnt need 300 BHP to get that 10 mph. MF1 will hit 200 with something like 400 BHP.

The problem is no-one is paying attention. The Veyron is a rubbish supercar because it has Turbos and 4WD and weighs so much. And apparently you cant park it easily because its got some huge blind spots. Its not even a FULL carbon shell like an Mercedes SLR. Compare it to other current Supercars. Enzo has the Ferrari magic and is a very good bit of kit, if a little ugly. Carrera GT is a proper race car essentaily. Zonda is the classic Italian excess. What does the Bugatti do better than any of them bar top speed? Any car with 4wd will accelerate better, but will sacrifice driver skill required. A granny could drive a Veyron fast. Cant see her doing the same in any other Supercar. And thats what they are all about IMO.

They havent made a better car, theyve made another car. Faster isnt better.
Old 16 November 2005, 05:21 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

What does the Bugatti do better than any of them bar top speed? Any car with 4wd will accelerate better, but will sacrifice driver skill required. A granny could drive a Veyron fast. Cant see her doing the same in any other Supercar. And thats what they are all about IMO.

They havent made a better car, theyve made another car. Faster isnt better.
First of all, what does the Bugatti do better bar top speed????? Accelerate, that's what. It does 0-200mph faster than a Mac F1 does 100-200mph.

Second, A 4wd does not neccesarily accelerate better than 2wd. A Porsche C2 will out accelerate a C4, cos it doesn't have the added weight of 4wd. Only in the wet will it gain the advantage. Plus I'd like to see a granny drive a Veyron fast.
Most modern supercars either have 4wd (think Lambo) or have traction control, which I'm sure they thought about for the Veyron but obviously went with 4wd cos you can use more of the power more of the time without traction control cutting power.
I hate all this 4wd is for people who can't drive crap. What Bollox. Suppose Loeb, Solberg, Gronholm, etc, are a bunch of puffs are they? If they were REAL drivers, they'd be in Rwd cars, eh?
Old 16 November 2005, 05:51 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Your missing the point by comparing a ROAD supercar to a RALLY race car.

To me a supercar should be:

5 Litre Plus
NA
Mid Engined
RWD.
Less than 1300KG
Agile

Many cars fit this criteria but thats a fairly good baseline. Now, consider the year in which the Veyron was built. 2005. So what facets does this car take and improve on from F1, Enzo, CGT or Zonda?

Speed and Acceleration. Yes in terms of sheer brutal power the Veyron and the Koenisegg are faster than the aforementioned cars. But they arent better. They arent a complete SuperCar package. They are incredibly childish designs (and with regards to the Koen. I use the word design lighlty as they dont actually appear to have finished building a reliable product for the public yet!) that only sought to go faster than the F1, a 1993 car. If they (CCR and Veyron) were lighter, had better brakes, better packaging i.e smaller cars, better handling, more space for luggage whatever then fine, great. i would trumpet them from the hill tops.

But they just dont. They are one dimensional things. And as such will only be remembered until the next fastest car comes along. Not because they were years ahead of the competition. Like the F1 and the Enzo afterwards.
Old 16 November 2005, 06:22 PM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Your missing the point by comparing a ROAD supercar to a RALLY race car.

To me a supercar should be:

5 Litre Plus
NA
Mid Engined
RWD.
Less than 1300KG
Agile

Many cars fit this criteria but thats a fairly good baseline. Now, consider the year in which the Veyron was built. 2005. So what facets does this car take and improve on from F1, Enzo, CGT or Zonda?

Speed and Acceleration. Yes in terms of sheer brutal power the Veyron and the Koenisegg are faster than the aforementioned cars. But they arent better. They arent a complete SuperCar package. They are incredibly childish designs (and with regards to the Koen. I use the word design lighlty as they dont actually appear to have finished building a reliable product for the public yet!) that only sought to go faster than the F1, a 1993 car. If they (CCR and Veyron) were lighter, had better brakes, better packaging i.e smaller cars, better handling, more space for luggage whatever then fine, great. i would trumpet them from the hill tops.

But they just dont. They are one dimensional things. And as such will only be remembered until the next fastest car comes along. Not because they were years ahead of the competition. Like the F1 and the Enzo afterwards.
288GTO had turbos, but ticks most of the boxes on your list. I'd rather have one of them than a Veyron. Oh, and it's just gorgeous, unlike the Veyron, which my 5 year-old could have styled.

I saw a black 288GTO (presumably a repainted job) and unless you knew what you were looking for you'd have sworn that it was 'just' a 328. Not exactly a Q-car (it's a Ferrari after all) but nowhere near as vulgar as a Veyron.

Quick Reply: Bugatti Veyron