Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Help!!! Looking for Toyota AE86 - Anyone??

Search this Thread

Old 09 November 2005, 03:55 PM
big MO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!! Looking for Toyota AE86 - Anyone??

Please. Wanted for a project. Any pointers appreciated.
Old 09 November 2005, 03:55 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

astraboy...
Old 09 November 2005, 07:04 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by big MO
Please. Wanted for a project. Any pointers appreciated.
2 dr corolla gt coupe twin cam?engine or whole car??loads of really nice twinners ihere in ireland for sale man!
Old 09 November 2005, 09:05 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

yhpm!
astraboy.
Old 09 November 2005, 09:16 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Are these cars not pretty expensive for what you get??

I would be tempted to get one as a project too, however all the ones I've seen are c5k?!

Cheers,
Grant
Old 09 November 2005, 09:34 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

mines not....
astraboy.
Old 09 November 2005, 09:36 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RS Grant
Are these cars not pretty expensive for what you get??

I would be tempted to get one as a project too, however all the ones I've seen are c5k?!

Cheers,
Grant
yeah most of the mint ones here are making €8k to €10k..but they hold their value well so its all good..and they are a great fun car, engines take such a beating and dont give up! made for donuts
Old 09 November 2005, 09:51 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a forum for them ?
Old 09 November 2005, 09:51 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Is there a forum for them ?
hmmmm not too sure man but do a search thread on www.google.ie and pages from Ireland only
Old 10 November 2005, 12:32 AM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

I still have mine,but offers over 12K please.
Old 10 November 2005, 05:51 PM
Dai-Tec
Scooby Regular

My mate picked his up for about £5000. Its a C reg car for gods sake.

You might like to ask on www.driftworks.com forum.
Old 10 November 2005, 06:20 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

I may have one for sale soon too. Very nice white B Reg UK car.

Let me know if you are interested.

AllanB
Old 10 November 2005, 07:20 PM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

I sold mine for 4k recently...http://www.evoposters.net/carsb/album15

I wouldnt pay more than 4k even for a minter to be honest, stupidly overpriced..

They are a cracking drive though and I fancy one again but with a supercharger or 20v conversion...
Old 11 November 2005, 08:49 PM
Nick Read
Scooby Regular

Someone please explain to me why these crappy 80's grocery getters are fetching any kind of money at all? OK I understand they're rear wheel drive, which is nice, and I suppose you could call them old school (odd, because I don't remember anyone under the age of about 50 who would be seen dead in a Toyota in the 80's), but what's the point when you can pick up a 200SX for much less than a grand. There are heaps of 80's RWD cars that cost virtually nothing. What's so special about Corollas? No-one even wanted them when they were new!

Not trying to take the **** here, Corolla lovers, just want to know if I'm missing something big. I can't see how any old 80's Toyota can be even worth a monkey let alone 5 or 10 grand!
Old 11 November 2005, 08:53 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

do a search on the for sale forum some one was selling one 2 months ago.

hth

Jamo
Old 11 November 2005, 08:56 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...highlight=AE86

there you go, pm that guy, you never know?
Old 11 November 2005, 09:27 PM
Dai-Tec
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nick Read
Someone please explain to me why these crappy 80's grocery getters are fetching any kind of money at all? OK I understand they're rear wheel drive, which is nice, and I suppose you could call them old school (odd, because I don't remember anyone under the age of about 50 who would be seen dead in a Toyota in the 80's), but what's the point when you can pick up a 200SX for much less than a grand. There are heaps of 80's RWD cars that cost virtually nothing. What's so special about Corollas? No-one even wanted them when they were new!

Not trying to take the **** here, Corolla lovers, just want to know if I'm missing something big. I can't see how any old 80's Toyota can be even worth a monkey let alone 5 or 10 grand!
Drift culture.

Initial D.

Takumi Fujiwara.
Old 12 November 2005, 10:42 AM
DreXeL
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nick Read

What Dai-Tec said, and also the fact thay they are such a beautifully balanced car. It's not just the fact that they are RWD.

Watch the Drift Bible, he drifts an S14 round a track, then drifts an AE86 around the same track, and despite the power differences he absolutely loves the Corolla, with comments like 'why can't toyota make cars like this again'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AE86

Last edited by DreXeL; 12 November 2005 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12 November 2005, 01:10 PM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

Handling a scooby could only dream of, such a balanced car the steering feel is uterly fantastic and it's so so easy to get it sideways and steer using the throttle.

Unless you have driven one of these in anger you cannot appreciate how good the car is. Ok it may not be fast but it's so much fun.
Old 12 November 2005, 03:39 PM
mo,s scoobymonster
Scooby Regular

hi i know a guy whos got 2 fresh imports in and hes wanting to sell them. so if you want send me a pm and ill give you his details.
Old 13 November 2005, 03:38 PM
Nick Read
Scooby Regular

OK some good answers there...

which begs the question, if they are so great, why is it only now, twenty years on, that they are rated? I cannot think of a single other car that is now considered a 'good handling' motor, that wasn't also raved about when it was new.

So basically it comes down to the popularity of drifting?
Old 13 November 2005, 04:19 PM
big MO
Scooby Regular

For my part the revival of Initial D and the soya been shop
Old 13 November 2005, 04:34 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sure they are good but I think the net has a lot to do with it, whipping up a legend that wasnt there before, was just another ropey old jap car, I do however remember them having a good reputation back in the day, I went to look at one once (early nineties) and it was manky, damp and smelly with a fair coating of moss, with some rust for good measure. Cant imagine many of the original (imported to the uk when new) lot survived.

It does show that there is a gap in the market for a light, able, simple and inexpensive RWD coupe, everything that size is FWD, look at the sales of Saxos and MG ZR's, the young lads buy them even though they are FWD, with the kudos of RWD it would be a winner. Trouble is nowadays it would be heavy and need a lot of power to do the slidey stuff, also the key thing here is a live axle, thats what lets it slide with limited power, cant imagine any company going back in that direction.
Old 14 November 2005, 09:05 PM
Nick Read
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I am sure they are good but I think the net has a lot to do with it, whipping up a legend that wasnt there before, was just another ropey old jap car, I do however remember them having a good reputation back in the day, I went to look at one once (early nineties) and it was manky, damp and smelly with a fair coating of moss, with some rust for good measure. Cant imagine many of the original (imported to the uk when new) lot survived.

It does show that there is a gap in the market for a light, able, simple and inexpensive RWD coupe, everything that size is FWD, look at the sales of Saxos and MG ZR's, the young lads buy them even though they are FWD, with the kudos of RWD it would be a winner. Trouble is nowadays it would be heavy and need a lot of power to do the slidey stuff, also the key thing here is a live axle, thats what lets it slide with limited power, cant imagine any company going back in that direction.
Not being a mechanical whizz, when you say 'live axle' are we talking about an actual complete driven axle that goes from one wheel to the other?
Old 15 November 2005, 11:44 AM
EvoBarry
Scooby Regular

For those that don't "get" the Corolla GT all I can say is, get a drive of a decent one, and by that I don't mean a drift modded one, just a well sorted standard-ish one.

Proper steering, with feel, revvy "Pinto copy" motor, old fashioned (fun) live axle, lsd as standard, and its quick enough to be entertaining on B roads.

Just try one, I think you'll enjoy it.

If I had the money I'd sort mine out.
Old 15 November 2005, 11:53 AM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Found one for £5,500 - not sure what your budget is?

Description:
Toyota Corolla AE86 Group A Rally Car. Shell: 1884 LHD 2 door saloon prepared by TTE in Germany. Full SD cage with doorbars. Black Sparco Rev seats, 6 point 3” Sabelt harnesses, Coralba Giant trip with C view & rally timer, Peltor intercom, alloy footplates, aircraft switches & circuit breakers. Sparco helmet box & door nets, Alloy bulkhead. Lifeline electric plumbed fire system plus handheld. Large alloy sump guard and tank guard. MOT and RAC log book.
Brakes: Front;- AP 4 pot calipers with DS2500 pads & new discs
Rear:- Std 2 pot calipers with new discs and pads. Remote adjustable bias pedal box with bulkhead mounted AP quick release cylinders, alloy fly-off handbrake, aeroquip lines with stainless steel brake unions.
Suspension, steering and wheels: Front:- Bilstein 2.25 adjustable height suspension with roller top mounts, 175 lbs springs with modified gravel front anti roll bar and Wide track lower arms. Rear:- Fully rose jointed 5 linked rear axle and rose jointed magnesium rear dampers with 145lbs springs. Heavy duty TRD bushes all round. Steering;- High ratio steering rack with suede steering wheel.
Wheels:- 8x 6x13 Superlites (some new) with gravel tyres.
Engine: Rebuilt only 2 events ago with new TRD high compression pistons in new block. Lightweight steel flywheel with AP paddle clutch. Group A cylinder head & cams on original injection with Grp N ECU. Modified induction system and adjustable fuel pressure regulator. 4 branch manifold & slip joint exhaust system. Baffled sump with remote oil filter & large oil cooler. Electric fan & new radiator. Produces approximately 165bhp @ 7500rpm.
Transmission and axle: 5 speed Quaife dog box with TRD quickshift and 1:1 top gear (rebuilt 1 rally ago) Plate type Group A LSD with 5.1:1 TRD CWP and Big ½ shafts (new bearings fitted recently). Others: New Red Top 30 battery fitted in alloy cover with Anderson jack plugs.
Spares: Car comes with some spares including standard 5 speed gearbox Price:- £5500.00 ono.

www.usedrallyparts.co.uk