Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

330d Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 05 November 2005, 09:45 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 330d Coupe

We are looking to replace our MY03 A4 190 S-Line with something along the lines of the 330d Coupe, have decided against the almost as expensive 320d.

Went to the Main Dealer today to drive a 9month old one 330d M-Sport with decent spec, but it has a Steptronic Auto 'Box which we arent too convinced about. Does the Auto really kill the performance of the car, how well suited is it to the 330d??

With the Salesman mumbling on in my ear and taking us on some extremely pot-holed/poor surfaced roads on the Test Drive I couldnt fully explore the potential..... I took it to around 50-60mph with a swift kickdown, but failed to give it a proper 20-100mph/50-100mph blast, which I was wanting to do to get a proper feel of the pace and midrange punch.

Does anyone have experience with these cars?? I have read a lot of good things and possibly went into the test drive with my expectations too high.

Also, what is 400Nm in Lb/Ft??

Cheers,
Grant

P.S - Thanks to John Banks for replying to my 320d Thread, spologies for not replying.
Old 05 November 2005, 10:51 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

330d auto isn't that economical (36mpg combined cycle).
Old 05 November 2005, 11:04 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Grant,

I've got the saloon version, and it's 204bhp and 302ft/lbs as standard. The auto does blunt performance, and is about 5mpg thirstier. However, BMW will say that the auto is preferred.

Personally, I've got the 6spd manual and it's great. 3rd and 4th gears are fantastic. 3rd for example is good from 15mph to 80mph.

Try a manual before you decide. Mine is averaging 41.2mpg

Cheers
Matt
Old 05 November 2005, 11:10 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by carl

Compared to what?

It gives almost double the mpg when compared to the 330 petrol and is faster in real world use.
Old 05 November 2005, 11:13 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
Compared to what?

It gives almost double the mpg when compared to the 330 petrol and is faster in real world use.
OK, but it's not that economical for a diesel. The auto seems to make a big difference to the economy on these cars.
Old 05 November 2005, 11:21 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

True, but it's the new breed of performance derv burner. If you want a 50-60 mpg car you buy a VAG 1.9 or 2.0 litre lump that'll keep up with a Mondeo.

The new level of big oil burner are matching the 6 cyl petrol lumps and still giving 30+ mpg, creating their own niche.
Old 05 November 2005, 11:56 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

What world do you live in? Before I start you should know my dad had a 330d and I love the car and recommend them a lot on here to people that want a high performance diesel. However, if you are sitting on the motorway doing 90mph and some chufty in a 330i pulls up to you and you both nail it in 6th then yes the 330d will have it. But that IMHO isn't real world. In the real world if you are 'racing' then you'll bloody change gear in which case the petrol will leave it with ease!

If you drive a 330i and a 330d point to point as fast as you can you'll be quicker in the petrol. As I said, I'm a big fan of diesels and used to make the same, 'real world' argument up until the time I got my vts and beat one in a straight line race. My scooby and now S2000 further improved my understanding of what petrol engines are all about and real world or any other world where you can shift gears the diesel is not that good at covering ground. The 535d on the otherhand

Trending Topics

Old 06 November 2005, 12:30 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Real world, as in normal use.

Very few people buy any car just to race or drive quickly - if you want a car for that there are MANY better options than a 330 in petrol form.

I have a 1.9 VAG motor myself but prefer one of my old Merc drinkers to drive. The oil burners are now better options though if you can only afford the one motor, and the 330D is a beater over the 330 juice burner in the real world of traffic and pump prices.

The real world of racing doesn't exist unless it's on the track or at 3am. And why would you buy a 330 in any guise for track use?
Old 06 November 2005, 12:52 AM
kammy
Scooby Regular

Dont buy the diesel unless you need to. If you do alot of miles, or plan to sell it with min depreciation go for the oil burner. If you do average miles, say 10k/annum, then the petrol price saving will stand you in good stead.
All the best.
Kam-Enzo owner and VAG 1.9TDI remapped, 2.4 children
Old 06 November 2005, 09:31 AM
Listy
Scooby Regular

Dude 330d All the way.

Had mine for 3 weeks now. 330d Sport, Manual Box. Currently a 42.8MPG average and 565 miles out of my first full tank.

Rock Solid residuals for good examples.
Plenty of Grunt
Extremely Pointy and very sure footed.
Sitting on 18's I reckon it has the looks aswell.

I wouldn't take my Sti back if they paid me.

Do advise the Manual Box though !!!!!
You got so much Torque you hardly have to change gear anyway.

You Won't regret it
Old 06 November 2005, 11:23 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Grant, Changed my Evo for the 330D Sport man Saloon, tried the auto and absolutely loved it. However 5mpg was a lot to take when I was changing for economy.

Don't do nearly as many miles as I thought I would with my new job and sometimes wish I'd have gone with the Auto, especially when sitting in traffic.

At the time though going from Evo to BMW, petrol to diesel was bad enough, man to auto would have got me the pipe and slippers.

My advice would be to try before you buy.
Old 06 November 2005, 12:33 PM
Guinness
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Listy
Dude 330d All the way.

Had mine for 3 weeks now. 330d Sport, Manual Box. Currently a 42.8MPG average and 565 miles out of my first full tank.

Rock Solid residuals for good examples.
Plenty of Grunt
Extremely Pointy and very sure footed.
Sitting on 18's I reckon it has the looks aswell.

I wouldn't take my Sti back if they paid me.

Do advise the Manual Box though !!!!!
You got so much Torque you hardly have to change gear anyway.

You Won't regret it
I don't agree with the manual gearbox.A mate of mine has one and the shift is crap,very long and sloppy...Try the auto as you'll love it..I do...Alan
Old 07 November 2005, 12:21 AM
Frazer
Scooby Regular

Guy I play footy with has one 330dC 204 hp (tries to race every down the m/w at the end of the game *tut tut*) so took my 172 Cup along (exhaust,R Sport ECU and a filter) we tried to race from 1st 2nd (would have left it for dead in 2nd going by 3rd)but just wheel spun up road then raced from 3rd 60 ish till about 110 and I mullered it. From the way the owners go on you would think they are Bug eye WRX beaters ;-) Great car though and must shift when chipped, maybe look a bit boring for my tastes.
Old 07 November 2005, 10:43 AM
abbiesdad
Scooby Regular

Wink

only had exp of 330d touring... auto/man ... still fast 140+ pulls all day.. averaged 37 mpg on computer... from a 3ltr 200+ bhp car think thats pritty good
myself......
Old 07 November 2005, 10:51 AM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

Might be fast but jesus what a boring drive, dull sounding engine, and limited powerband...

If you don't want a sporty drive, but you want an economical mile muncher then go for it...
Old 07 November 2005, 11:06 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

LMAO - chap at work has a 4 door sport and gets 33 combined from a manual. A hard driven auto will average in the 20's...... But they are the most refined diesel on the planet
Old 07 November 2005, 12:06 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Might be fast but jesus what a boring drive, dull sounding engine, and limited powerband...
You're either a troll, or have never driven one... Or just don't like the drive, which is a possibility . I found it has a better drive than my 03 WRX was, powerband from 1.7k to 5k revs, and a straight six engine noise.

The scoob has the benefit of grip, but a 60k/4 year old car handles better than a two year old WRX did by some way. I've missed the impreza once on 8 months, and that was last week in the lake district where it was seriously wet, but for the rest I'll stick with coal power...
Old 07 November 2005, 12:25 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by mn_angrybeats

If you don't want a sporty drive, but you want an economical mile muncher then go for it...
Have to disagree. The "handling" of the 330d is way better than the "handling" of a Scoob. And don't confuse handling with grip etc. I'd never call the engine vocal, but it has a pleasant gruffness that certainly isn't dull. The limited powerband may be true in 1st, but every subsequent gear has plenty of scope. My STI 5 had a "limited" powerband.

As for having a sporty drive, it's better round the Nurburgring than many cars that are supposedly more sports orientated.

Matt
Old 07 November 2005, 12:53 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Andy M3
LMAO - chap at work has a 4 door sport and gets 33 combined from a manual. A hard driven auto will average in the 20's...... But they are the most refined diesel on the planet
Andy,

That chap must either sit in traffic all day, or be very lucky that he's not banned yet. Seems ridiculously low IMHO.

Matt
Old 07 November 2005, 01:42 PM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

Have to disagree. The "handling" of the 330d is way better than the "handling" of a Scoob
I'd take a RWD set-up over 4x4 agreed, but the equivalent petrol version has a far nicer sounding engine and the chassis feels better balanced IMO..It's also the way it delivers the power that I dont like about Diesels you run out of revs far to quickly for my liking, I like to hold onto the revs when making progress rather than change gears all the time.

Why arent Diesels used extensively in motorsport ? they are a compromise and probably always will be.
Old 07 November 2005, 05:36 PM
Listy
Scooby Regular

My 4 door 330 manual sport refuses to drop below 41mpg no matter how I drive it !!!!

How that guy manages to average 33 is beyond me ?????
Old 07 November 2005, 05:45 PM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

It's obviously the case of a honest diesel driver rather than a diesel driver trying to justify his purchase
Old 07 November 2005, 06:02 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies!!

Seems that the Manual's are pretty rare in the Coupe..... and going by a couple of other "deals" that we've been offered at some different dealerships the one we were offered at the weekend is considerably better.

The car we're looking at is:

330d Coupe
Steptronic Auto 'Box
11,000miles
(Previously the Fleet Manager's Company Car @ this Dealership)
Imola Red
M-Sport Package (Kit, 18s, Sports Susp, etc)
Full Black Leather Interior
Electric Seats
Heated Seats
Bluetooth Phone Package
FREE BMW Servicing until November 2009 This is a BIG plus point.
Cruise Control
Possibly more, however cant think of it just now.
Managed to get £2k off the asking price, it is now at a shade over £25k.

It will be used mostly by my mum, whos journey consists of: 70% Motorway and 30% Town driving.

She currently averages about 28-30mpg in the Audi, which is a 1.8T Petrol 190bhp with a 6pd manual gearbox. Her mileage probably averages between 16k-18k miles per year.

For the people that think we are buying this as a pure driving tool, we arent. This is a car for my 50yr old mother to get back and forward to her work in comfort, style whilst reducing the running costs that she currently has with her Audi.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 07 November 2005, 06:04 PM
Guinness
Scooby Regular

You'll love it....Alan...If you want a tuning box pm me...
Old 07 November 2005, 07:56 PM
Listy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mn_angrybeats
It's obviously the case of a honest diesel driver rather than a diesel driver trying to justify his purchase
Ermmmm Mine is doing 41mpg +

Why would I lie? I love the car and need justify nothing!

It is by a long way the Best allround motor I've ever owned !!!! And trust me it's part of a LONG LONG List.
Old 07 November 2005, 09:16 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think they are about the best compromise for most drivers, you can snipe at them in a few areas if you are picky but in reality its enough of everything for most drivers, it is annoying though, the fact its a BMW, I wish some other manufacturer would produce something as good or better so any given group test could have a different outcome.

I just cant get over the badge associations, I found Skoda's and easier proposition so maybe the day will come when I can cope with it, I mean, they are now outselling Mondeo's so are no longer a rare sight. All I need now is for a certain minority of the owners to remember that they pay the same ammount of road tax as the rest of us and start indicating.

The question is, if the cost of the fuel was immaterial, would anybody buy a diesel, perhaps not but currently its the best solution.
Old 08 November 2005, 04:08 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Listy,

Glad you're enjoying it mate! Having seen 5th gear last night, I've re-kindled my hankering for an NSX, so may sell mine for the right price! Know anyone who may be interested?

Matt
Old 08 November 2005, 04:16 PM
Listy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattOz
Listy,

Glad you're enjoying it mate! Having seen 5th gear last night, I've re-kindled my hankering for an NSX, so may sell mine for the right price! Know anyone who may be interested?

Matt
Nice choice my good man

I shall ask about on your behalf, I mix with business folks all the time who seam mighty impressed with mine so you never know.

All the best

Listy
Old 08 November 2005, 04:50 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Listy,

The problem was that the NSX on last nights 5th Gear was the same one that I borrowe for a week from Honda UK back in March. I had an absolute blast in it, and it was a fantastic road car. It got very dirty in mid-Wales but cleaned up nicely the next day.

Matt
Old 08 November 2005, 07:40 PM
compshack
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RS Grant
Seems that the Manual's are pretty rare in the Coupe
When I got my 330D almost all of them where auto. I was determined to get a manual so the dealer found me one from BMW head office. The downside is that you have to put a deposit down before the'll bring the car to the local dealership, put your money where you mouth is basically. I did see a few manual 330d coupes on my travels so they are out there.

Seemed like I could get a manual 320d every day of the week but a 330d where like rocking horse sh$t.

The way I drive the 330d I'm getting 27mpg out of it but that's seriously ringing it's neck with a tuning box on. On a long run upto Scotland at the weekend I got 37mpg. I did see 43mpg on the motorway at one point but that's rare.
The 320d sport that I borrowed was more 37mpg what ever you did to it but not half as much fun.

Quick Reply: 330d Coupe